Short barrel - light 6.5 hunting rifle

reubenski

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jun 8, 2008
To
7PRC is what I’d love to try. Finally a 7 short mag that you can get lapua brass and just neck up easily. 7 creed why not just buy a 7-08?
OAL

6.5 CRD vs 260
243W vs 6 CRD
Etc

7SST is what I would do if I wanted a SA 7mm mag. But I have a 7WSM on a long action for hunting and that's good enough for me. The Winchester brass is pretty good

generalzip

Old Salt
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    What bullets are you shooting that won’t fit mag length in a 7-08? Anything that heavy is going to be pretty darn slow I’d imagine. 7sst and wsm are good cartridges just no real quality brass manufacturers. Used to have a 7-300wsm. To have factory brass or a simple neck up is pretty awesome. I’d imagine a 7PRC with a 180 berger would be pretty badass in a short action and get decent barrel life.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    What bullets are you shooting that won’t fit mag length in a 7-08? Anything that heavy is going to be pretty darn slow I’d imagine. 7sst and wsm are good cartridges just no real quality brass manufacturers. Used to have a 7-300wsm. To have factory brass or a simple neck up is pretty awesome. I’d imagine a 7PRC with a 180 berger would be pretty badass in a short action and get decent barrel life.
    Which mag? I'm not working inside an AICS. I'm using an HS Precision DBM. The max COAL is 2.860". This is a short lightweight hunting rifle. Not a PRS gun on a diet moonlighting as a hunting rifle.

PXL_20211019_124206036.jpg

I wouldnt shoot anything heavier than a 162 and obviously Hornady pretty much made the 150 ELDX for the 7-08 and 7SAUM. And of course at the time I was contemplating all this they couldn't be found. And Hawkins hunter mags didn't exist. I would actually be just fine with 140gr bullets but then you have to ask yourself, if you're just going to shoot 140gr bullets does it matter if they come out of a 7mm tube instead of a 6.5mm tube? Why not just go for the easy button in 6.5 CM? Which is what I did.

But I did mock up a 162 SST in a Creedmoor case. It barely fits the mag at 2.850" when you seat the bullet at a sensible place in the neck. When I mocked up a 308W case with a 162 SST the bullet was way down in the case. Not like you're gaining anything at that point.

PXL_20220130_171630080.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20220130_171547852.MP.jpg

L-> R: 308W, 7 CM, 7-08AI, 7SAUM, 7WSM, 284W
    PXL_20220130_171305591.jpg

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    Didn’t realize you were so restricted on mag length. Look at the cartridges, in a standard 7-08, a 162 grain bullet “should” work still. It will be a little deeper in the case than idea but should work. The boat tail junction would be between the body and neck junctions which is where it should be. Have you looked into berger bullets? They usually shoot better than hornady bullets anyway and work very will on game. Usually saves a little length too without the plastic tip.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    Didn’t realize you were so restricted on mag length. Look at the cartridges, in a standard 7-08, a 162 grain bullet “should” work still. It will be a little deeper in the case than idea but should work. The boat tail junction would be between the body and neck junctions which is where it should be. Have you looked into berger bullets? They usually shoot better than hornady bullets anyway and work very will on game. Usually saves a little length too without the plastic tip.
    Frankly for what I want to use the rifle for a Speer Hot-Cor would do great. What you see on the gun now is 20" Proof Sendero Light in 6.5CM. 120gr Speer Gold Dots at 2800. I think it'll be killer on whitetail and hogs.

Shoving bullets down in cases in 1970's technology. Can you imagine a 284W in a short action with a 120gr bullet? And then the 7WSM and SAUM we're brought out for 7mm short actions. Nowadays those are really long action cartridges. Maybe XM. The 7-08 in a short, short action is taking it back to 1970 technology. Sure you could do it but I think there's just a better answer

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    I use a 130 berger at 2755 in a 20” barrel with lapua brass. 0 pressure signs. Whitetail any bullet with work. Hogs I’ve found the heavier bullet do better with penetration. But if you hit them in the ear a 22 will work.

Jigstick

“Oh yes…Oh yes…YES!!!”
    Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    A 16-18in 6.5x47 or 6.5CM is on my short list of next builds. For the most part here in PA our shots aren’t beyond 150yds. I think a shorty could be a lot of fun on white tails.

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    I’d you look at charts, less than 20” you start really bleeding velocity on a 6.5 creed. There’s a reason you see most 16-18” barrels as 308. They have a bit more volume to burn the powder and contain the expanding gases to be a bit more efficient at those length. At 150 yards and in a 308 will likely have a bit more energy too if you care about that at all.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    A 16-18in 6.5x47 or 6.5CM is on my short list of next builds. For the most part here in PA our shots aren’t beyond 150yds. I think a shorty could be a lot of fun on white tails.
    I live in Colorado and pretty much only use this rifle when I hunt on our family farm on the east coast. Lots of deep, old hardwood stands, steep hills, close shots. I was thinking 20" might be a little long still but when I screwed it on it looks almost a little goofy. 20" is plenty short for me. The Ultra 5 makes a big difference over a more multi use full size can

Reactions: generalzip

BadAccountant

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2019
    7PRC is what I’d love to try. Finally a 7 short mag that you can get lapua brass and just neck up easily. 7 creed why not just buy a 7-08?
    I would shoot the hell out of this cartridge but for the fact that I have a 280 AI.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I think one would run into OAL issues with a 7PRC in a SA.

BadAccountant

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2019
    I think one would run into OAL issues with a 7PRC in a SA.
    I was thinking that same thing. 7s are cool because you have some super long skinny bullets, and seating within magazine length would be an issue with some of them.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I was thinking that same thing. 7s are cool because you have some super long skinny bullets, and seating within magazine length would be an issue with some of them.
    A 6.5 PRC is already at the limit; high BC 7mm bullets are longer. I would think if you tried to redesign a PRC case to take 7mm bullets at max mag length you'd end up with a 7 - 6.5SAUM. or a 7SST

Jigstick

“Oh yes…Oh yes…YES!!!”
    Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA

Use a Defiance intermediate length action. Paired with their intermediate length BDL. Did that on my 300wsm. Lots of room to seat the bullets far out.

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    A 6.5 PRC is already at the limit; high BC 7mm bullets are longer. I would think if you tried to redesign a PRC case to take 7mm bullets at max mag length you'd end up with a 7 - 6.5SAUM. or a 7SST
    The 6.5 PRC case and saum case are nearly
    Identical in terms of overall and neck length. If a 7 saum works in a short action with a wide variety of bullets, there’s no reason a 7PRC wouldn’t work. Just with better brass quality. A 180 hybrid in a 7PRC would probably get you around 2900+ fps. Bad medicine for any animal in North America.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    The 6.5 PRC case and saum case are nearly
    Identical in terms of overall and neck length. If a 7 saum works in a short action with a wide variety of bullets, there’s no reason a 7PRC wouldn’t work. Just with better brass quality. A 180 hybrid in a 7PRC would probably get you around 2900+ fps. Bad medicine for any animal in North America.
    The PRC is longer and the SAUM doesn't work with a wide variety. It needs a specific freebore and most bullets eat into case capacity

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    All bullet weights ideally need a specific freebore? This is nothing unique to the 7PRC or any other cartridges for that matter. There’s no SAAMI 7PRC reamer anyway. Will the 7PRC benefit from a long action? Yes of course. Probably on the order of around 100fps or so potentially. The same could be said for the 6.5 PRC however with the longer 150+ grain bullets so I’m not really sure what your point is on this one? For 162-180 grain bullets a short action is adequate on a 7PRC/saum. The difference is you can get lapua brass for a PRC.

The PRC is .005” longer than SAUM. Completely negligible.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    All bullet weights ideally need a specific freebore? This is nothing unique to the 7PRC or any other cartridges for that matter. There’s no SAAMI 7PRC reamer anyway. Will the 7PRC benefit from a long action? Yes of course. Probably on the order of around 100fps or so potentially. The same could be said for the 6.5 PRC however with the longer 150+ grain bullets so I’m not really sure what your point is on this one? For 162-180 grain bullets a short action is adequate on a 7PRC/saum. The difference is you can get lapua brass for a PRC.

The PRC is .005” longer than SAUM. Completely negligible.
    No. You misunderstood my post. The SAUM needs a specific freebore to fit in a short action. It doesn't just work with a wide variety of bullets as you stated. You have to compromise it's performance by using a shorter freebore that accommodates bullets shoved down in the case from fitting in a short action mag. Yes it will work, but not optimumlly

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    No. You misunderstood my post. The SAUM needs a specific freebore to fit in a short action. It doesn't just work with a wide variety of bullets as you stated. You have to compromise it's performance by using a shorter freebore that accommodates bullets shoved down in the case from fitting in a short action mag. Yes it will work, but not optimumlly
    Huh? I think you’re misunderstanding the role of freebore here. A Gunsmith can chose whatever reamer with whatever freebore and also custom lengthen any freebore for any round. A long freebore designed for a long action will still work in a short action. The bullet will just have more jump is all. Plenty of cartridges experience this. Nothing unique to the SAUM/PRC.

I always give my smith a dummy round with the brass and bullet I want to shoot and tell him how far off I want the lands. You can do this with any cartridge. The SAUM offers no advantage to the PRC in this regard. Mark my words, when lapua 6.5 PRC brass becomes readily available you will see a demise of the 6.5 SAUM and plenty in the post exchange. There’s no reason to choose a SAUM over a PRC anymore for a short mag, unless you have a pile of brass already or custom reamer you paid for etc.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    Huh? I think you’re misunderstanding the role of freebore here. A Gunsmith can chose whatever reamer with whatever freebore and also custom lengthen any freebore for any round. A long freebore designed for a long action will still work in a short action. The bullet will just have more jump is all. Plenty of cartridges experience this. Nothing unique to the SAUM/PRC.

I always give my smith a dummy round with the brass and bullet I want to shoot and tell him how far off I want the lands. You can do this with any cartridge. The SAUM offers no advantage to the PRC in this regard. Mark my words, when lapua 6.5 PRC brass becomes readily available you will see a demise of the 6.5 SAUM and plenty in the post exchange. There’s no reason to choose a SAUM over a PRC anymore for a short mag, unless you have a pile of brass already or custom reamer you paid for etc.
    No, I get freebore. The point I'm making that you're missing is the freebore has to be tailored for the SAUM to work in a SA. It's not the same freebore you would use to optimize the cartridge if you had the room of a LA. Hence my opinion that it's compromised in a SA. Real simple point.

generalzip

Old Salt
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    That point is equally true for a PRC as well. So not really sure why you brought it up in comparison to any of these short mag rounds. That’s been true of all of them if you want the new heavy high bc bullets.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    That point is equally true for a PRC as well. So not really sure why you brought it up in comparison to any of these short mag rounds. That’s been true of all of them if you want the new heavy high bc bullets.
    Jeezus ..... At this point it's just argument for arguments sake. Going round and round to see who's right on the internet. We're about to reinvent the entire argument if I respond. Scroll up and reread and you'll see why.

This thread is about short barrel hunting rifles. You win. I'm over it

jtate

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2018
    I guess I would be a "short barreled rifle" junkie. I have just recently started cutting the barrels off on most of my hunting rifles.

1. Ruger Hawkeye .308 w/ 17" barrel
    2 . Browning BAR .270 w/ 16.5" barrel
    3. Browning X-bolt .270 w/ 18" barrel
    4. Remington M700 .308 w/ 16.5" barrel
    5. TC Encore .308 w/ 16.5" barrel

Superjet

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 9, 2019

Build one. I’ve hunted the last two years with an 18” 6.5x47 running 130 gr projos around 2650 and it’s a joy to carry and shoot. I’ve had good luck with 130 hybrids on whitetail. I was not impressed with 130 gamechangers, but I did recover the buck.

Reactions: Jigstick

jtate

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2018
    I need to add two more:

6. CA Ridgeline 6.5 CM with 20" barrel
    7. Tuebor Precision SS Raider action w/ 20" McGowan Precision barrel in 6.5 CM

Sullivj3

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 15, 2019
    I just finished a 16.5” 6.5 Creedmoor rem 700. I used a Bartlein #3 as it was the lightest that I could cut that short and have the min barrel diameter for threading. Total weight is right at 9 lbs with scope. I get 2500 FPS out of factory 140 grain loads. Very handy even with the suppressor, I’ve only shot one deer with it so far, but it’s a keeper.
    saw this post from a few years ago. looking at building a 16.5 6.5cm for whitetail myself, have you had a more success hunting with it since then?

cas6969

Hi, Squibbles
    Minuteman
    Nov 16, 2021
    Eastest coast
    Ye' olde thread.

This will be the first years since I bought it that my Fieldcraft 6CM isn't one of the rifles coming along.

4DF2B4BE-1C48-414E-9F4F-E6072F02C160.jpeg

It has such great features, like the built in ear plug holder!

3428342F-4331-4E67-99AA-53442ADBBF89.jpeg