• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot 600 yards for the first time tonight....

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
I'm actually a little impressed with myself.

Out of the 20 rounds I fired at a 6" X I had:
7 - X hits (one of which was dead on tits center)
10 - 10 rings
2 - 9 rings
1 - 8 ring

Not too shabby for my first time out at 600 yards. With my current loads I am about 19.5 MOA of drop at 600 yards.

Re: Shot 600 yards for the first time tonight....

What caliber/rifle/etc.?

I'd be happy with those results, I've never shot that far yet, so I'm looking forward to getting out and stretching the legs on my 30-06 this season.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 w/ Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40

Shooting 168 SMK's with 42.5gr of varget. I'm going to probably start working the loads up a bit since that was my starting point and I have just never worked up from it cause it worked.

You might look at switching over to the 175smk's for 600yds. I found them to be much more consistent against any wind out of my .308 at that distance. A hair over 43 grains of Varget seems to be the sweet spot in most rifles.

good shooting for first time keep up the good work

Work up to about 44.5 gr Varget behind 175 SMK. My load is 44.4gr, 175 SMK, CCI BR2, Lapua brass. Shoots about 2715 fps out of my Bartlein barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was you shooting off a sling or a bipod? </div></div>

Bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats good shooting, but you should try shooting off a sling the next time you get to shoot at 600 yd </div></div>

One step at a time. Hahahaha. I need to get comfortable with the rifle and that distance a little more first. Well, that and get a sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 w/ Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40

Shooting 168 SMK's with 42.5gr of varget. I'm going to probably start working the loads up a bit since that was my starting point and I have just never worked up from it cause it worked. </div></div>

my SPS Tactical likes the Federal Gold medal Match and that is a 168 SMK so i am useing that as a starting point for my reloading as well,. So are you still useing the factory Remington stock with your SPS? the Hogue that came with mine is a little soft up front,. i was thinking of replacing it with a B&C .