• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shotguns: 1100 or11-87 vs FN, help me pick.

1911fan

Vortex Pimp
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Lewiston Idaho
advrider.com
So I'm looking at a semi-auto 12 gauge. What makes the FN list for twice what an 11-87 goes for? I've shot both and don't see that much difference.
I'd be interested in opinions from people who have abused both vigorously. Mods/upgrades for either would be appreciated too. Reliability (or not): what's your experience and preference?
My other choice would be to modify my 1100. Ideas there would be good, too.

1911fan

Re: Shotguns: 1100 or11-87 vs FN, help me pick.

Don't know what your purposes are but if you are planning on shooting the gun enough to call it used or abused the 1100-1187 just take a whole lot more maintenance to keep them running.

If you look across the board at 3 Gunners you don't see too many 1100's getting run hard anymore. Not that they weren't a solid gun but IIRC their design dates back quite a ways and just isn't as robust as the newer designs of the Winchester/FN's or the Benellis.

The price difference you ask about reflects just that.

Mostly looking to upgrade my home defense/SHTF shotgun, but whatever I get will also go turkey hunting. Years ago I shot some 3-gun and (duh!) the semis were faster than my 870. So far, I'm leaning towards an 11-87; it sells for about $500 and a new barrel and mag tube extension for the 1100 are almost $300.
The FN is nice but for my uses I don't know if it's worth the expense.

1911fan

A Remington 1100 is by far the easiest shooting shotgun I have ever picked up. They may take more upkeep as stated above. But in my old eyes they are worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly looking to upgrade my home defense/SHTF shotgun, but whatever I get will also go turkey hunting. Years ago I shot some 3-gun and (duh!) the semis were faster than my 870. So far, I'm leaning towards an 11-87; it sells for about $500 and a new barrel and mag tube extension for the 1100 are almost $300.
The FN is nice but for my uses I don't know if it's worth the expense. 1911fan </div></div>

If you are looking at $800 on an 11-87 or $800 on an FN MkI there is no competition to go with the FN. The only reason in my mind that would swing the meter towards the 1187 is if it were significantly cheaper. For instance you picked up a used Remmy for $250-300 and put a tube and barrel on it and wound up into it at the $5-550 pricepoint. A huge advantage to the FN/Winchester system is the use of a gas piston that adjusts to the load. One of the issues of the Remmy is that as you add weight to the gun (mag tube, charging handle etc) you may need to adjust the gas port sizing. In my experience this becomes a game with trying to pick the right port size to run different loads and once you drill them out for lighter loads the heavy loads are always gonna shoot harder.

The worst case scenario with the FN is you have to change the piston out. The gun comes with a light piston for target/dove/quail loads and a heavy piston for goose/turkey loads....easy with no permanent modification to the gun.

With the FN no new barrel or extension needed. Just a plug for the tube, and last I checked dowels were pretty cheap.

If you shop around the Winchester SX2 MKI and MKII are the same guns as the FN SLP MKI and MKII. Also it seems there were a couple FN's in the for sale forum.

There is Nothing difficult or complicated about the upkeep or maintenance of an 1100 or 11-87. Quite simple actually. I've owned Benelli's, Beretta's, Brownings, Franchi's, and a number of other auto shotguns and the Remingtons are my favorite.

Don't let me or anybody else influence your decision. Shoulder and shoot all that you are interested in and make the decision yourself, but surely don't be afraid of any maintenance issues with the Remmy's

s6

Nobody said to be afraid of Remmy's. What was asked is if other guns were worth the price difference.

The analogy I offered was simply this. Why buy an older model vehicle which will be priced at the same pricepoint initially ($800) as a newer vehicle but cost you more time and money in maintenance.

For the basic shotgun user at 250-300 rds a year it probably won't make a difference. But the OP asked about hard use and or abuse. I can guarantee you that there is a very solid reason that noone in the use/abuse category chooses Remmy's anymore. Great gun, there time has simply passed.

I do agree on one point, buy whatever the hell you want.

I love my 1187 no issues with it so far pick it up on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods for a great price...no jams, smooth shooter.

I haven't had any problems with the 1100, I just wanted something, um, more excessive? I was also looking for a turkey gun, something that could shoot 3" loads.
So I went by the store last night to refondle the last FN on the shelf, and they made me a deal I couldn't pass up on it. So I didn't.
So now the search for a heads-up optic begins. I've got a couple of red dots floating around, as well as a Trijicon Reflex. Hmm…I'd also like to upgrade the front sight fiber optic to a bigger one. Has anyone done this?

1911fan

Guess my 35+ year-old 1100 is a piece-o-crap and no one told me. It has untold number of cases of shells through it. Its been tuned one time. Other than that, just clean and lube. I remember it stopped one time when I dropped it into freezing mud on a duck hunt as a kid. Other than that its been utterly reliable.

Like to take it to matches where everyone is talking about their Beneli guns until the shootin starts.

Dont want to spend the coin on the FN.... look at the Winchester SX2 ..... they are almost interchangeable.

I have 2 3/4" loads for everything. I have only found 3" loads for were useful for either long range bird hunting, or close range for miscreants in battle rattle(a 3" slug will waste a 5A plate with a gangbanger behind it)

3" loads are not fun to shoot either. WHy you wanna go there so bad?
grin.gif

1100 is a very solid gun and many aftermarket parts are made for it. By the time you kit one out, you just made the base model Benelli Super 90 MkI in overall cost. Check Impact Guns, you may find something you like there

I picked up the 11-87 Super Mag back in '06. The primary use was for Turkey eradication. I figured that having the option to go 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2" was an added bonus. My experience has shown that anything at & over 3" is brutal on your shoulder, when fired repeatedly. 1 shot on a Turkey, you'll forget the pain... Run a box of 3"+ shells in the dove field and you'll have a great bruise to impress your friends.

Dammit- I spent an hour searching the interweb for a different front sight <span style="font-weight: bold">for my new FN Mk1</span> and came up dry. I'm looking for a bigger/brighter bead, luminescent or tritium. Can somebody with better search-fu point me the right way?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dammit- I spent an hour searching the interweb for a different front sight and came up dry. I'm looking for a bigger/brighter bead, luminescent or tritium. Can somebody with better search-fu point me the right way?

1911fan </div></div>

For which shotgun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly looking to upgrade my home defense/SHTF shotgun, but whatever I get will also go turkey hunting. Years ago I shot some 3-gun and (duh!) the semis were faster than my 870.
1911fan </div></div>

What kind of a tough AO are you in that you need something "faster" than a 870?

The 870 is the best, most widely used,most popular, home defense shotgun in the world. IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you look across the board at 3 Gunners you don't see too many 1100's getting run hard anymore. Not that they weren't a solid gun but IIRC their design dates back quite a ways and just isn't as robust as the newer designs of the Winchester/FN's or the Benellis.

The price difference you ask about reflects just that.</div></div>

I don't think that's well established at all. 1100s outnumber Benellis at my local outlaw 3-gun by at least 5 to 1. My Remington 1100 Compmaster seems to work great for what I paid for it, and the new 1100 Tactical offers the same features. Besides needing a loading gate, it's ready to rock and roll out of the box.

Imported shotguns have 922(r) concerns. With the 1100, I have nothing to worry about. I can use any stock, any length extension, any barrel 18" or longer, and I'm good to go. It also cycles any ammo I feed it and beyond that, I don't want or need for anything in a competition shotgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dammit- I spent an hour searching the interweb for a different front sight and came up dry. I'm looking for a bigger/brighter bead, luminescent or tritium. Can somebody with better search-fu point me the right way?

1911fan </div></div>

For which shotgun? </div></div>

The FN I bought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of a tough AO are you in that you need something "faster" than a 870?</div></div>

Just an itch to scratch, having shot a little three-gun and noted the faster times of semis. Odds of needing/using it are tiny indeed.

1911fan

2008 Gun Tests Best in Class Police Shotgun was
Rem 1187 Police model

Me being me, I'll probably be doing a 'tactical lite' rebuild on the 1100 too. It's a sickness called "farkling" in the motorcycle world.
SO: Since I bought the FN, and I'm looking for a bigger front sight for it, can we quit with the 1100/1187 vs everything else debate, and maybe post a link to the sight I'm looking for?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MER0828</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my 1187 no issues with it so far pick it up on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods for a great price...no jams, smooth shooter. </div></div>

Any problems cycling 3-1/2" shells?

Just has XS sights put on my 1100. Much quicker than stock. Also, the 1100 shoots everything from full-power slugs to low-power 9 shot. No changing gas ports or whatever. Just load um and shoot um.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The price difference you ask about reflects just that.</div></div>

I don't think that's well established at all. 1100s outnumber Benellis at my local outlaw 3-gun by at least 5 to 1. My Remington 1100 Compmaster seems to work great for what I paid for it, and the new 1100 Tactical offers the same features. Besides needing a loading gate, it's ready to rock and roll out of the box.

Imported shotguns have 922(r) concerns. With the 1100, I have nothing to worry about. I can use any stock, any length extension, any barrel 18" or longer, and I'm good to go. It also cycles any ammo I feed it and beyond that, I don't want or need for anything in a competition shotgun. </div></div>

At a local 3 gun that is not surprising. Most guys get into an 1100 because they can be picked up on the cheap and mods are relatively easy. For a guy that shoots a couple three guns a year its not much of a problem, or for someone who's skill level is such that malfunctions or stoppages don't affect them too much, its no big deal.

However the OP asked about "use and abuse" which takes quite a few more rounds than a few local 3 guns a year. If you look at the top 20 or 30 guys at RM3G, Benning, DPMS3G, Nats etc you will see very few Remmy's. As a matter of fact one of the last holdouts for Remmy's, Jerry Miculek, switched out of shooting a Remmy when his gun puked on him again at the 07 nats.

So yes can you use a Remington and they are popular with respect to numbers. However, with respect to the OP's question they are not as reliable or as well designed as the Win/FN.

I find that very hard to believe. When I got my 1100 about 5 years ago, the Winchester/FN was the same price.

Mine has never malfunctioned or stopped, either. I think you have a very misguided picture of the 1100 in competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that very hard to believe. When I got my 1100 about 5 years ago, the Winchester/FN was the same price.

Mine has never malfunctioned or stopped, either. I think you have a very misguided picture of the 1100 in competition. </div></div>

Good for you, now name anyone who has finished in the top 10 in any of the competitions listed above who is running a Remmy.

I could give you a hint but it wouldn't help.

These guys can run any gun that they want regardless of cost, parts, etc. So riddle me this....why aren't they running an 1100 or 1187?