• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Show Me/Tell me bout your Switch Barrel Rifles!!!!

2 dogs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2005
Texas
I have a number of Remington actions in all sorts of calibers. I have several spare bolts. Im wondering about the feasibility of making myself a switch barrel rifle and selling off a couple of stocks and actions and such and spending that money on high end optics.

I also have a Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua that I have hammered a number of S. Texas Hogs with. Im wondering if I can slip a AI 300 WM magazine into the rifle and a simularly profiled barrel into the action and maybe a 257 WBY barrel as well. But Im not sure if the mags interchange or if there is a better option.

Last, Im not unaware of the fact that the Remington will be a bit harder to headspace than the Savage but dont see that as an insurmountable obstacle especially since I understand the proceedure well.

My intrest mostly is to A) See your rifles, B) Find out if it is more of a Pain in the A$$ than a smart way to go, and C) Discover any hidden issues switch barrel rifles have.

Thanks Hiders!

Re: Show Me/Tell me bout your Switch Barrel Rifles!!!!

My switch barrels never get switched. I get lazy. It will stay the caliber you like the most and all the extra barrels will just take up room in the safe.

They are a great idea in theory.

Rem 700 LA, RH. Blueprinted and lug pinned, pillar/bedded in a Mcm HTG w/ Desert Camo. All work done by Dave Sink in Lexington, NC. Barrels in 243, 22-250, and 30-06. More calibers to follow. He also made me a rear entry action wrench for it so there is no need to remove the action from the stock to change barrels. I like the concept and was in the same boat as you. I still have a lot of actions but now when I want to try a different caliber, I only buy a barrel; not the whole rifle.

I would think alot of the Savage fans would have more than one barrel for thier rifles and would chime in with some observations.....

I have a Savage dedicated 308 with a DBM setup and a target action soon to have a 223 and 284Win barrel. I don't really consider it a field swappable setup but I have changed out barrels at the house in 5 mins. My daughters neurologist gets more of my paycheck than my hobby does so this is as good as it gets for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My intrest mostly is to A) See your rifles, B) Find out if it is more of a Pain in the A$$ than a smart way to go, and C) Discover any hidden issues switch barrel rifles have.
</div></div>

it's not a multiple choice question but <span style="font-weight: bold">B is the answer</span>.

Range trips are usually a spur of the moment thing for us and one buddy is sometimes an hour later than everyone else. We bet on what caliber he will show up with when he's running behind. The actual barrel swap really just takes him about 15 minutes.
He likes it but i just don't see it.

With a savage it's pretty easy. You can headspace your barrels and simply freeze the locknut in place (JB weld, etc) That way later you don't even need an action wrench, just unthread one barrel, thread on the next, tighten good by hand, and you're good to go. Call it 2 minutes.
I won't lie to you, I have no idea whatsoever how a barrel even goes on a 700 action haha but surely someone, somewhere would have tried it and put the story online.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My switch barrels never get switched. I get lazy. It will stay the caliber you like the most and all the extra barrels will just take up room in the safe.

They are a great idea in theory.</div></div>
That's exactly what happened to me, I HAD three barrels... It's not a bad idea if you're a tinkerer, and you want to find out which caliber you like best to settle with, without buying multiple rifles. But I don't know how much trouble it'd be with a 700

I don't have any switch barrel set ups, but I have changed a few barrels on the Rem700 action. The same bolt can be used as long as the case head is the same. Once a barrel is fitted, bolt nose recess tenon length and headspace, just spin off one and spin on the other and torque. It helps to have the recoil lug pinned to the receiver especially if the action is bedded. If the case head is different the barrel needs to be fitted to that specific bolt. I don't think I missed anything other than mag compatibility and action length requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My switch barrels never get switched. I get lazy. It will stay the caliber you like the most and all the extra barrels will just take up room in the safe.

They are a great idea in theory.</div></div>

^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

I have a DTA which is a bit different but I regularly change calipers and love it

Hey Training Wheels, what is the bolt spacing on your Savage action?

Look into the Rem-Age conversion...all the upsides of the R700 (smooth action, huge aftermarket) with all the barrel nut glory of a Savage (swapping barrels in your basement in <10min).

My Criterion 260 has been on a Savage 110 long action and currently resides on a 10FP 4.4" short action...but I'm not inclined to multiple swap barrels because of a need to remove the scope/rings/mount and a concern of getting the headspacing *just* right so accuracy doesn't diminish any.

Check out Bergara Barrels they make it simple.

Hey Big Joe. If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate? The process, how often you switch, accuracy differences, ammo, whatever you experience with this rifle. Thanks in advance.

I have a 260, 308, 300wm, and 338 barrel for mine I switch regularly and the gun is completely repeatable it takes about 30 seconds to swap the calipers out the gun is easily sub 1/2 Moa across the board with all calibers

Impressive. Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I think I'm headed that way at some point.

Some pics of your switch barrel tools and information on where to get them would be nice.....

Thanks for all the replys!

I have a Badger action in a Sentinel stock, I also have two barrels for it, 308 and 260. I normally run the 308 for practice and the 260 for matches, I do not find it a big deal to change between the two, about 15-20 minutes with the action wrench and barrel vise. I do not have to remove it from the stock, just re-zero afterwards.

I'd rather have a bunch of guns! Or just one 6.5 or 7mm and a .308 for the safe.

A bunch of guns plus high end optics for each can run into a boatload of serious cash. My 5 prairie dog rifles just sit there most of the year!

I've done many Rem 700s. Easy to headspace using the recoil lug width. Have shot them hand-tightened to no ill-effect. Never swapped a bolt, but would be easy to do if wanted to enable magnum plus standard ctgs. Tend to prefer the LA receivers to enable best bullet seating options.

No longer a Remington fan. Winchester 70 push feed is superior for switchbarreling and the rifles with integral recoil lug are more uniform in dimension. Can swap bolts way more confidently w/Winchesters. Have a couple of CRF setups. Bought a spare bolt magnum CRF bolt assy. Have done magnum & std on same receiver. Pretty easy to do a CRF swap. Either the extractor cut lines up, or it doesn't. Have a PF magnum action and spare std bolt body will do barrel swap on soon. Very Happy with Win 70s compared to Remington.

Also have swapped Sako TRG-S and TRG-42 barrels. The S barels thread is same as the 42. Bolt bodies are interchangeable in the 42 action, not the 22... If want a Super-Mag ctg this rifle is your ticket. Can swap bolt bodies and use .473, .532, & .590 head ctgs in your M995 action rifle. TRG-42 profile barrel will fit in a TRG-S stock.

Strap wrench is about all would need to swap barrels on integral lug receiver designs.

Wow bro! Excellent post. Thanks!!

Im a bit surprised at the lack of comments/opinions. I thought there were quite a few more "switch barrel guys" especially among the Savage shooters!

Don't forget; when you change the caliber you need to have your scope settings written down some place. I have .308, 6.5x47, 22/250 Ackley and 243 Ackley all fitted to the same action. The reality is that the .243 and 22/250 Ackley barrels stay in the safe. When I go to the range it is an all day affair and I useually change barrels once between the .308 and 6.5x47 and I have a scope set up for each caliber as well. It's a pain in the ass.

only way to go
laugh.gif

6f4918e0.jpg

@ Big Joe

At the range today I shot with a guy that had what looks like the exact same rifle. He switched beteen 308 and 338 lapua. Nice set-up and super accurate. Is this what you have?
BTW- I taped a penny on his target and bet him he couldn't puch a hole through the middle in three shots at 300 meters. I lost the bet. :)

i have 308, 260, 300wm, and 338LM

probably getting a 7wsm or saum soon

still getting the mechanics figured out but I'm trying to work out a Remington 700 with a muzzle loader second barrel (cant hunt deer hunt with a rifle in Soviet Russia.. I mean, Illinois) has anyone else tried anything like this?

Another vote for the DTA system.

I use it in 308 and 338 lapua magnum.

You just have to write down what the difference is on the scope adjustment for zero.

Takes less than 60 seconds to switch calibers (really).

I've done it many times at the range/field.

The DTA SRS is an incredible system for those that want multiple calibers.

Oh, and it shoots nice too;)

Parker

I have seen a company around that takes remington actions and permanently attaches the recoil lug and installs an assembly to use the Savage barrel nut and the package comes with an action wrench etc. In the end the product is a field changeable barrel system with return to zero capabilities. Overall I chose to move to the SAKO TRG and it seems like the barrel changes are ALMOST as easy as the AI rifles.

My most recent build is set up as a switch barrel
Surgeon 591, McMillan A5, Badger bottom metal, Jewell trigger
1st barrel is a 6.5x47Lapua 30" 8 twist Hart
The second barrel will be a 30" .308 10 or 11 twist for F/TR matches
I purchased the Surgeon action wrench when I ordered my action
I have not purchased a barrel vise yet
The 3rd barrel will be a .284 Win