• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sig 2000 should I be scarred

Evan03

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Shooting trees and houses the furthest I've got it range is 1100. Seems to send back less than 1000 very easy wich is good since I won't shoot anywhere near that.
I did set it it on solid surface thinking it might need to be supportedone to get ready backs passed 1000.

I do realy like it. Actually is pretty good crist image for cheap optic.

I'd return it or send it in for warranty. It should give you hits out past 2,000. Mine did when I first got it. But now it's struggling hard. These things seem to be dropping like flies now. Hopefully the 2200 works better...

What do you mean by "they are dropping like flies"?

We have one and it has worked great for us. Generally reads to within a yard or so of my Radius. I wish I had the 2400 though, every little bit helps.

e

Please provide links or threads were folks are having issues. I have 2 and they both work perfect as well as everyone that we run with that has them has never complained, todate

Gunfighter, I don't own one and was just translating what earlier comment by previous poster most likely meant for the benefit of Ite82. I don't have a dog in this fight and am perfectly happy with my Leica 1600B! :cool:

However, to fully address your request, I'd direct you to the Equipment and Observation Devices sections on the Scout version of the Hide. The following thread in particular stuck out:

Sig Kilo 2000 problems???

There are other threads out there as well if you care to look. Regardless, I am glad you are happy with both of yours! I suspect most buyers are happy with theirs as well!

Yeah, do your own research. I'm not interested in a fight. Just because you have one that works doesn't negate the fact that other people have ones that do not. Be happy you have a good one. But don't try to diminish someone else's problem. There are plenty of examples on the Scout Hide of people encountering problems. It's not an epidemic or anything. But the 2000 is no more, anyway. So what does it matter. Hopefully the 2200 and 2400 perform better.

Last edited:
For the money, the Kilo is still a hell of a tool. There has been a handful of times I couldn't get good readings but it was usually due to environmental conditions. I've been able to hit targets at 2000 yards and beyond in all different kinds of light. The furthest I have got a reading was 2495yds as thats the longest distance I have been able to back up and laze a vehicle. Still, thats impressive to me for $400.

If there truly is a problem with the Kilo2000 dropping in performace over time, I'm sure Sig will look into that before releasing newer models and repair the existing ones. It does suck that it can take 6 weeks though.

I bought one brand new last April. Wouldn't Range anything past 300 right out of the box. Sent it back to Sig and they replaced it, or fixed it. Not really sure but it came back in brand new box and rapper so thing they just replaced it. Seems to work fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your unit going south on you. Bought mine in Dec 2015 and it has performed great ever since. It ranges to 2,000 better than I need it to. Please post up what happens with Sig.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but in the recently departed Scout Hide, there did seem to be more and more issues reported with them. The flip side is, other fellas we're getting along fine with theirs. YMMV. Seems hit or miss. It either works great, or it ranges targets at 450 yards...maybe.

I live out west in idaho I can range ass far as I want. I'm not going to give up on it since uts range ing to 900-1000 on most targets but that's about it and I think I'm fine with that since I can't shoot that far. I do know I can't get it range trees passed that. I did get parked car slightly farther.

I am thinking about getting a new battery just to see if that changes anything. But as it it works for me but most certainly isn't the ranging to sig specs even on reflective targets.

I was thinking of giving a kilo 2k. You guys scared me. Should I pick up a Leupold tx-1200i or something? 1000 yard will be my longest shot for a while.

New batteries are always a good thing if your distance readings begin to fall off, even if the indicator shows full charge on many RF's. Also keeping the laser return glass clean can be helpful as well.

I am currently testing the 2400 vs my PLRF15. Pretty impressed thus far for a hunting device,

If it were me I would hold off on the 2000 and buy the 2200, better laser, smaller reticle and beam divergence.

Shooting trees and houses the furthest I've got it range is 1100. Seems to send back less than 1000 very easy wich is good since I won't shoot anywhere near that.
I did set it it on solid surface thinking it might need to be supportedone to get ready backs passed 1000.

I have a 77 in 257 Roberts that I love what is yours.

My 2000 is brand new with clean glass. Took it out for first time today. Ranged a rock at 400 cranked my dials smacked it dead center with crystal watching. Picked out the next Rock crystal ranged it at 638. I smacked it to. I was veryoung stocked. Looking to go further with points hit as far as!we wanted. Crystal says it don't say anything. I'm like what. I grab it I to can't get a reading.

then later a Feild full of cattle 200 to 2000yds supported off the hood of the jeep I could not get a return passed 750.

I bought it at cabelas still have receipt. Going to see if they'll swap it out for a new one. Not that this one's used. . Hoping to not be without it for 6 weeks

Ohh Mines 2506 pushing 115vlds.

This crystal telling me it won't range the next target I picked out

I agree that the 2200 would be better and improved, but it is out of stock everywhere, and it is around $449. The 2000 is $350 at Cabelas.

tough call... I was ready to pull the trigger for the 2000 until I saw the problems people are reporting. To me the 2000 is more than enough if it works.

New batteries are always a good thing if your distance readings begin to fall off, even if the indicator shows full charge on many RF's. Also keeping the laser return glass clean can be helpful as well.

I am currently testing the 2400 vs my PLRF15. Pretty impressed thus far for a hunting device,

If it were me I would hold off on the 2000 and buy the 2200, better laser, smaller reticle and beam divergence.

Last edited:
The size/type of target matters. I've ranged cars and reflective buildings at a mile with a 2000 but if you're trying for trees, hillsides, steel targets you won't get the same results. That's not the LRFs fault that's just some targets are more reflective and easier to range than others. A car is big, steel target not so much. Glass and metal are very reflective, grass on a hill less so.

The size/type of target matters. I've ranged cars and reflective buildings at a mile with a 2000 but if you're trying for trees, hillsides, steel targets you won't get the same results. That's not the LRFs fault that's just some targets are more reflective and easier to range than others. A car is big, steel target not so much. Glass and metal are very reflective, grass on a hill less so.

Yeah, well on Scout you had "experts" claiming they could range 1 MOA steel targets at 1,000 yards. Complete and utter BS. My 2000 can't range cows at 600. And there's no way you're gonna hit a 10-inch target at 1,000 yards with a beam that's 50" in diameter.

Yeah, well on Scout you had "experts" claiming they could range 1 MOA steel targets at 1,000 yards. Complete and utter BS. My 2000 can't range cows at 600. And there's no way you're gonna hit a 10-inch target at 1,000 yards with a beam that's 50" in diameter.

My point was if he's getting good results at 1000 it's probably working just fine. I'm sorry you have a bad unit or you're not sure how to use the one you have and are so unhappy about it. However, it doesn't mean everybody else is full of shit.

Even NASA makes mistakes, proven fact that cost lives. That said 4 of us took our 2K's out and were testing them yesterday. Everyone came up within 2 yards of each other to a max of 1900yds on the rocks at the top of the mtn. no one had issue ranging single trees at 1300 and 2 guys in a boat fishing at 1035. Some WERE having issue until they learned how to stabilize the unit and 2 of them had never checked were the best return was until the were told how to find the best return. Operator error was their biggest issue, once taught theirs worked just fine. Not saying anyone in this thread does not know how to use theirs at all, but LRF's are not just a point an shoot like most mfg's would have you believe. Funny thing is some comp directors like jhuskey can set a target that can't be ranged with a across the counter LRF, he can set one were you need military gear an training thereof of said gear. My money says Frank could set one as well,....

Last edited:
There are a ton of Kilo 2000 units out there that range just fine. Those that do not, Sig will take care of you.

Since Sig is replacing the the 2000 with the 2200, you will be able to purchase plenty of used 2K's for sub $300 and you will be able to buy the K2200 new for less than four bills if you just give it a few months.

As far as hitting specific targets, Frank and others have put videos that demonstrate the how you can get the best performance out of your RF. Figure out the beam size/shape @ the range you are attempting, as well as the actual relationship of the beam to the reticle.

For me, at least I have a tremor and I need help...the tripods and or very stable platforms are a must for me, whether shooting or using a LRF.

The 4x per second scan mode, on the SIGS are a huge help to me if unsupported.

Last edited:

Im certainly no expert but I did say that on Scout. Or something close to that. My first experience with the Kilo 2000 was on a bright sunny day in Wyoming using my buddies unit. It easily ranged 1 MOA Steel out to 1000 yards and 1.7 MOA @ 1160. The thing blew me away and I ordered one right away, selling my new 1200 leupold on eBay.

During hunting season I ranged a coyote @ 547 yards. I then ran some tests and made sure it was not the ground at his feet. It was not. For the entire season it seemed to work flawlessly, save for the paint "chipping off". This was not due to it being banged around and was not happening to my buddies. I bought it a Brownells so I figured after hunting season I would exchange it. By the time hunting season was over, I didn't care what it looked like. It worked and I was not parting with it.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. At the range I suddenly could not range past 650 yards on targets, and in conditions, well known to me which it had always performed flawlessly. I was really shocked.

I called Sig and they could not have been nicer. I had a return label in my email box before I got off the phone. The problem is that they have a SIX WEEK turnaround. Moral of the story? Have backup gear......

Put a fresh battery in mine. Have not tested yet. If it still has hard time ranging to 1000 I'll try and get cabelas to swap it out.

I was thinking of giving a kilo 2k. You guys scared me. Should I pick up a Leupold tx-1200i or something? 1000 yard will be my longest shot for a while.

I had the Leupold tx-1200i and got the Sig 2000 I can tell you the Sig is 100x better I could barely get hits past 600yds with the Leupold with the Sig I can get pretty consistent hits past 1800yds with the Sig 2000.

My Kilo gives solid returns on trees at nautical noon as far as 1400+ yards; licence plates/traffic signs 2200 yards. Scared/scarred? No, maybe concerned. The performance of your unit seems suboptimal, so I'd recommend returning it to Sig. I'm not seeing any massive group of user complaints, pretty much normal mix for a device such as this. Give Sig call and return it, the brief inconvenience will be worth it. If you want, I'll sell you my new Kilo 2200 when the 2400 "G7 Killa" is available.

My Kilo gives solid returns on trees at nautical noon as far as 1400+ yards; licence plates/traffic signs 2200 yards. Scared/scarred? No, maybe concerned. The performance of your unit seems suboptimal, so I'd recommend returning it to Sig. I'm not seeing any massive group of user complaints, pretty much normal mix for a device such as this. Give Sig call and return it, the brief inconvenience will be worth it. If you want, I'll sell you my new Kilo 2200 when the 2400 "G7 Killa" is available.

No, you are not getting readings on license plates at 2200 yards. That's ridiculous. You're getting a reading on the car. That I believe. At 2,200 yards the laser beam is 110 inches wide. That's 9 feet. But tell us all again how you can range a license plate at that distance. Can you even see a license plate at 7x magnification at 1.25 miles? This is exactly what I'm talking about. People making hyperbolic claims like this about the Kilo.

Depending on the bodywork of the vehicle , the plate with its reflective particles in the paint may be the most reflective surface of a vehicle .
Some guys use license plates and other reflectors attached to steel , at very long ranges to assist getting a return , regardless of the brand
of LRF used .

Cool thanks. will get the kilo 2000 or the new 2200
I had the Leupold tx-1200i and got the Sig 2000 I can tell you the Sig is 100x better I could barely get hits past 600yds with the Leupold with the Sig I can get pretty consistent hits past 1800yds with the Sig 2000.

With my first few laser range finders I was starting to feel like I did when I realized that GMRS radios were good for maybe 1-2 miles not 36 miles and these other crazy claims that the radio manufactures keep putting on their packages. I bought Nikon, Bushnell, and Leupold range finders and could not get hits anywhere close to the stated ranges that they claimed, I just figured like the radio manufactures that they put these numbers on the packages just as a selling point and you shouldn't actually expect to come close to what the manufacturer claims. When I started hearing reviews of people being able to range pass 1000 yards with the Sig Kilo 2000 I was skeptical but said to myself if it will at least range to 1000 yards I will be happy. Well damn I was surprised when I was getting hits out to 1800 yards with it. I don't have a place to shoot past 1000 yards at the moment, but damn it's nice knowing I have a rangefinder that is capable of going further when I do find a place.

Depending on the bodywork of the vehicle , the plate with its reflective particles in the paint may be the most reflective surface of a vehicle .
Some guys use license plates and other reflectors attached to steel , at very long ranges to assist getting a return , regardless of the brand
of LRF used .

This might help visualizing what I'm actually talking about. And why I find it hard to believe the Kilo can return a reading on JUST a license plate at 2,200 yards. Because the device isn't seeing the license plate. It's seeing everything else around it (i.e. a car). I believe one can range a car at that distance. But I don't believe it when someone says they can range the plate, by itself. If you're hanging a license plate on a pole or from your steel target, I still don't believe it. Farthest I've shot is 1580 yards. And my unit couldn't range off a highly reflective, gloss white, steel target that was 12" x 18". I could range the ground below the target, though. And that's how I was able to range at that distance. But you're saying if you hang just a license plate up on a pole at 2,200 yards, the Kilo can range it? I'd love to see a video proving that. Not calling anybody a liar. I am just very skeptical.

Area of the beam at 2,200 yards = 9655.98 square inches.
Area of license plate = 72 square inches.

That means a license plate takes up only 0.74% of the Kilo's beam. Math doesn't lie here. That's not large enough to return a reading.
. kilo_2200_yards_by_haftelm-db0bde6.jpg

Last edited:
The " math " has me wondering about the Vector 23 . Around 330 inches or 8.4 meters divergence at 28 kilometres , which is the longest
return I've seen from that unit . Haven't used license plates myself , but have used various industrial reflective materials to increase the
effective range of LRF's .

Seriously...license plate, car, drive-in movie screen - that's the nature of these units, Yeah, good points, but this has turned into a rabbit trail from the original question: the originall post that started the thread seemed to indicate his unit was not performing as well as should be expected. Based on my experience, I think he would benefit from sending it backnto SIg. As far as the entire discussion about beam angle, those arengood, solid points, but like I said, it's the nature of these units until you get up to the Vectronix units. Even so, the new Kilo 2200 has a smaller beam divergence...pro'ly only reads the grille instead of the whole car...; )

Edit to add: at the distances I'm likely to hunt at, the Kilo should do well, and will give me a good starting point for ELR distances being discussed here.

Last edited:
As they say, "the plural of anecdote is not data". My story, like other's, is simply anecdotal. It is encouraging to see some "data" creep into this thread. Having said that, I don't see any citations. "Not calling anybody a liar". :p

I have to agree, that if a license plate is on a car, its picking up the car too. The reflective material in the plate might be giving an edge but I would guess that at that range without the car enhancing things the plate alone would be hard pressed to push a return......Anecdotally speaking of course.

The " math " has me wondering about the Vector 23 . Around 330 inches or 8.4 meters divergence at 28 kilometres , which is the longest
return I've seen from that unit . Haven't used license plates myself , but have used various industrial reflective materials to increase the
effective range of LRF's .

And that is the game - knowing what is reflective, what's not. and making the best estimate of what the actual range of the target. Short of spending $10(???) on military or surveying rangefinders. I don't know any other way. Optical range estimation has a larger margin of error due to estimation errors of target size relative to stadia lines in an optical reticles; as pointed out, LRFs have neam divergences that make the spot much bigger than the target object, but with experience and understanding of how a particular hnit works, they get us closer than any other method we can carry around our necks and put into service in a moment. GPS seems to work well, but a lot of the central VA groundhog fields I hunt in don't have cell/data signal coverage. Vectronix equipment is out of the question for most of us. But as far as experience goes, I will say this: beam divergence notwithstanding, the reflective construction of license plates and road signs make them excellent targets; a previous comment questioned whether I was getting a return on a license plate at 2K yards, or whether it was actually the entire vehicle, and that is a damned fair question worthy of some testing. BUT: LRFs give readings based on strongest returns, and while I honestly can't say so with certainty, I'm pretty confident that yes, I was actually seeing a return from the most reflective surface in the beam zone, the license plate, which is part of my "method of operation" when ising an LRF, bringing this back around to Clearlight's point. Further, I think we have the making of a good test of what Sig Kilo actually "sees" so we can use them more effectively.

One last thing - an actual picture, taken with my iPhone, of a cedar tree (the only object in the area that would give a return..color wheels and complementary colors) at 1262.5 yards, literally at nautical noon, taken last November. Just offered as a performance comparison, discussions of beam size aside.

Attachments

• photo47997.jpg
    photo47997.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 20
I'd highly recommend buying these things from cabelas. Cabelas in boise idaho exchanged mine no questions asked. The new one ranged the 1685 to grain silo easily the old one wouldn't touch. It's single press ranging the same stuff to 1000 while the old one had to go into hyper scan mode to get a reading.

I'm much happier especially since I walked on with a bad one and walked out with a good one. I'm duress they'd probly even late me exchange Ith for 2200 when they come out if I pay price difrent

i couldnt find a single retailer selling the 2200 . opps eurooptic does.

Last edited:
I think March 13 they are released. Only taking pre-orders right now

Long Range Hunting is selling the 2200s, just got mine in the mail. Also just place an order with Optics Planet for a 2400, so a NIB 2200 may be available very soon...