• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Silencer education video

Ranb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2008
Belfair, WA
As part of my campaign to change WA State law to allow silencer use I am going to make a video to educate people on silencer use. As many people, gun owners and legislators included think silencers are illegal, it is important to correct their misconceptions. Washington State is the only one of the 37 states that allows silencer ownership but prohibits use. I plan to send DVD's to my legislators when it is finished. Hopefully this will convince them to let House bill 1604 go the House floor for a vote next session.

My video will mainly consist of speaking into the camera about silencer history and NFA law. I will also show some of the forms associated with registering them, basic construction and some footage of the difference between suppressed and unsuppressed shooting.

I posted a script here; http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54606&highlight= . I have some silencer footage here; http://www.youtube.com/user/ranb40?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/2/C2MQBO-IGo8 Comments and criticism are very much welcome. If anyone has mpeg footage they would be willing to let me use in my video, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Ranb

Re: Silencer education video

good luck with what your doing, hopefully you can change some ignorant minds.

+1 from a fellow resident of the evergreen state.

I think you are taking exactly the right approach with the education angle, showing how it is a positive, practical, and enjoyable tool for shooters that reduces noise pollution for everyone who isn’t. The biggest thing you will have to do is challenge the Hollywood stigma against suppressors, that they are utterly silent and only used by hired killers. Cite the good things from states where they are legal and show they don’t cause problems. Make sure they know about the extensive process of obtaining suppressors that keeps them out of the hands of bad people.

I wouldn’t mind getting involved with this so definitely PM me if anything arises.

You can own the video....and you can view it....but the volume must so loud that it will ruin your hearing.

couldnt view the whole video. it kept pausing itself...
I have a pretty fast connection and it stopped every few seconds.

from what I saw it looks good though. I think a suppressor education video is great. It will show the public that we are not all assassins and mobsters. Suppressors make the shooting group more appealing, less noise to deal with and thats usually what frightens people the most. and what keeps ranges from opening up.

I would talk to Darin from Kansas cause he was instramental in changing the laws there a few years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.
You can own the video....and you can view it....but the volume must so loud that it will ruin your hearing.

.. </div></div>
What does this mean?

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">couldnt view the whole video. it kept pausing itself...
I have a pretty fast connection and it stopped every few seconds.
</div></div>

I updated it with a smaller file, so it should work better. http://www.youtube.com/user/ranb40?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/2/C2MQBO-IGo8

Ranb

MT has fish and game laws that regulate "field" use as well ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6QOHGcpzU

I just spent ten minutes in front of the camcorder and made some more footage. Keep in mind that this is just a rehearsal, hence the boring background, no shave, unwashed hair and stumbling dialog.

The entire video will be remade after I get a new camcorder. The voice-overs used when displaying the photos and forms were made with a cheap microphone, but they sound far better than the camcorder microphone. This should improve when I get the new camcorder with an external microphone.

The footage of my lathe are still photos I took of already completed parts from my 300 whisper can, the rifle is my 300 whisper Contender.

I want to include a bit about the ATF form 4, but will keep it very brief and reduce the time spent on the form 1. I need to set up a stand to hold my script in front of me so that my eyes remain towards the camera. I also need to run through the whole thing repeatedly so that I do not stumble over the words. I need to change the script so that I say suppressor instead of silencer and firearm instead of weapon.

Would using actual video of turning silencer parts be better? I can take better photos of the silencer parts and rifles for the video. Anyone have suggestions on what photos I should use when talking about Maxim's silencers? So far the suggestions by others on the internet have been very helpful. Thanks.

Ranb

Hahaha. Talking about what inflation has done to the dollar in the last 75 years is not an original idea of mine. But I thought it was a good thing to include in the video.

Ranb

First rule is...it's not a silencer...it's a suppressor
wink.gif
!

I am changing my script to shorten and make it simpler. I will only mention the word silencer once to say that is the legal term used by the feds.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am changing my script to shorten and make it simpler. I will only mention the word silencer once to say that is the legal term used by the feds.

Ranb </div></div>

Just pulling your chain...

No problem. I had a few other people (on other forums) suggest that I never use the word silencer in the video at all. A few have not liked it, two think that this will encourage the $200 tax to increase (it is a fed tax not a state one). One guy (claims to be dealer on arf.com) twice encouraged me to actually shoot my suppressed footage in WA in front of witnesses!

I have received several helpful suggestions though. I have a gif I might include in the video here; http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320/ranb40/suppressors/campergif.gif

It is kind of hokey, but it gets across how simple a silencer is.

Ranb

I made a clip of the images and animations with voice-overs that I want to use in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czd6M0tSaCM

I rendered it as a VCD to take up less room than the DVD format I need to make everything come out clearer in the final version. Any comments? Thanks.

Ranb

First I too would like to thank you for at least making an effort to change the perception of the general public and some gun owners on the subject of suppressors. If you did not do it, then who would? Thanks!

I am also a veteran, and retired by way of disability. For many years I could not even think about shooting a gun, the loud sounds and recoil were way too much for my spinal problems and PTSD. Recently I have been able to get back to my guns, on a very , very limited basis. My suppressor ownership wishes were simply my only way to effectively return to the sport, and shoot anything over a 22 cal load. I will never be able to shoot high powered magnum loads, but with the suppressors, I can still enjoy the modest loads and not feel horrible for doing so. Please keep up your great campaign, and let others know, that there are many reasons for individuals to want the rights, to own a suppressor.

Not too bad. Perhaps edit out the guy in the purple and yellow jacket with the poor demonstration of firearms safety. His booger picker is on the trigger
laugh.gif

I am from WA, and am grateful for your efforts. I need to make sure I do what I can to contact my appropriate representatives. Very well made video.

I am meeting with Representative Pedersen this Friday in Seattle. I hope to convince him to allow bill 1604 a hearing, or at the very least find out why he thinks it should be a crime to use silencers in WA. He is the Judiciary committee chairman that is denying bill 1604 a hearing and forcing it to die each year without going to the House floor for a vote. Pedersen needs your letters.

When you write to your Reps, ask them if they are willing to put in any effort into getting this bill to the House floor for a vote. Do not let them try to say that it is not up to them. Pedersen so far has not given the bill a chance because no one in Olympia will tell him to, according to him. You might have to write many times to get a good answer, or any answer at all. Unless one of his fellow Reps tells him it is a priority, then the bill will keep dying in committee each year. So far my Reps (Haigh and Finn) are not willing to do anything. I have a meeting with Finn later on this month. Good luck talking to your Reps.

Ranb

I am shooting better footage over the 4th of July weekend when I make my next trip to Vegas. As bad as the footage in the original video is, it was the best I had to use as the wind was blowing stronger than I had ever seen it blow in NV before.

I have not been able to locate any mpeg silencer footage at all. I have been offered numerous clips by other gun owners, but I need better quality than the flv format avilable online.

Ranb