• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sketchy Lyman Scale

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
Ive been using a Lyman digital scale. Similar to the micro touch. Think mine is a few years older. Think its about a $50 scale. Anyways, when I take the tray off the scale to zero it, the tray weight will vary from 117.9-118.4 grains. That is a lot. I zero the scale after each new measurement. As im trickling powder, sometimes the scale will bounce back and forth .2-.3 grains. Ill dump the powder and start over. Real aggravating. Ive tested the accuracy of the scale with a 155gr sierra palma. 155gr on the dot. I wonder what is causing the scale to "float" weights when im trickling powder? I have a chronograph and routinely shoot my handloads across the chrony for my data. I dont see drastic velocity changes from shot to shot. At least I dont think? My current load is 45.5gr of 4064 shooting a 155gr sierra palma. Largest variations from slowest to fastest shot in a 5 shot group is about 25fps. And that is usually just 1 round. My groups have not been consistent. Nothing horrible, but nothing really spectacular either. Average group is around .700-.900

So my question is, how much does 2-3 tenths difference in a grain of powder effect velocity/accuracy?

Can you suggest a new scale for about $100?

Seems like most of the ~$100 scales are the same chi-com crap. An MTM DS-750 is <$50 and will be as useful as any of the other under $100 scales. We've sold a ton of the MTM at my store and have yet to have one come back or have anyone bitch. I got a CED Professional Electronic Scale that was over $100 for use in the shop thinking it would be better than the MTM and that $100 CED thing is a pile of crap. Won't hold zero, turns itself off all the time, long startup sequence. Hate that thing. At home I use a Lyman 1200DPS that works ~okay~. Not the greatest, been back to the factory twice and they keep making it right. When I check my 1200DPS against my RCBS 10-10 it's usually right there. I never turn the 1200DPS off, and calibrate it before every use.