• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SMK 350gr in .375CT for ELR

Che7tac

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2017
Hello guys,

I’m training to participate in the first ELR event in France.

I’m using SMK 350gr bullet and my rifle like it. <MOA from 1500 to 2300m.

I have to pratice further and I would like to try to stay with SMKs witch I know well and not going into solids.

I know solids are better for ELR but here is my questions :

- What is the longest range you achieve to hit with the SMKs ?

- How do SMKs do in subsonic zone ?

- What king of BC is expected for SMKs in subsonic zone ?

- Do you think it’s possible to hit at 2600m with SMKs ? And 2900m ?

Thanks for your help.

I have personally witnessed a SMK impact at just over 3000 yards. It was a 300 grain 338 projectile fired around 3400 fps from a 338 snipetac. The rest of us were dancing around target that day with solids. We didn't even realize he hit it until we went to pick up target. The only impact was a jacketed bullet and he was the only one shooting a jacketed bullet. So possible....yes. Best choice, probably not.

Impressive ! Thanks for sharing it.

My believe is that with practice and good ammo knowledge you have better chance than just focusing on type of projectiles. And with SMKs I can practice double... But to hit 2600m and more an MOA size target with 5 attempts I’ll need some luck too...

Any more experiences with SMKs .375 at > 2000m ?

Mr.nuts gave you some solid advice. At 1K yards all bullets are not created equal, at 2500 yards that magnifies X 10. There comes a point when throwing lead downrange is just that.

I think what he was getting at is if you don't have the right bullet selection it "could" turn into that, meaning, you may be able to make impacts, but not reliably.

Not discouraging anyone from trying it though. Let us know how they do. I have 500 sitting on the shelf too!

I think what he was getting at is if you don't have the right bullet selection it "could" turn into that, meaning, you may be able to make impacts, but not reliably.

Not discouraging anyone from trying it though. Let us know how they do. I have 500 sitting on the shelf too!

Thanks BW, did not know how to answer him. I recall shooting a 338 snipetac, formed with 300 Sierra's, could not wait to get into a 300 Berger, it was the better bullet. But switched to 275gr Rocky mtn bullets, 75fps gain, think .140 more bc, shit really happened with those.
I can't really see how a .100bc increase will yield much in this case at a grand, but at 3000 yards, it's friggin huge.

I’ve got 1500+ rounds down range with the 350 SMK IN a DT 375 Cheytac 29” barrel at 3050 to 3140 fps with Retumbo and n570 respectively. Only bullet I shoot but I don’t go past 2400 much because it’s not practical

BC is .381 G7

theyre accurate and cheap

id start with them and move to solids if you outgrow them

it takes a bunch of practice to get beyond 2000 and it’s just slinging lead at Volkswagen sized targets. More of a proof of concept bragging rights endeavor than a practical matter if you ask me

just my two cents worth

i just like to have fun. If you’re really after a world record consider the solids, but the 338 guys hit the 48” target in Utah pretty good with the 300 grain burgers and the 285s Depends on your goals and how much you want so spend

We shoot in an URSA match where the "close target" is 2082 yards. 37" gongs. We hit it on a pretty regular basis, and have engaged and hit the 26XX yard target in the match. Our goal is to get to the 3K yard gong in a match. I think it will be coming soon based on what I've seen in our practices. Last monthly match down there was 30+ mph wind, so even the "close" target was a hell of an accomplishment!

I dont necessarily think beyond 2K involves lobbing lead down range anymore. It is very attainable and in fact I believe is what the OP was asking. Can you hit targets beyond 2K, as you stated yes, "but it's lobbing lead at a Volkswagen". With the right bullet/load, those +2K shots are getting more consistent.

Keep your powder dry, and have a great new year!

Thanks for your answers guys.

I’ll continue practicing and will tell you how far and consistent I can fire those bullets with good weather conditions :)

happy new year for all fellows shooters all arround the world.

Thibault