• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper Matches In Colorado ***with Pics***

Hoser

Ninja
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2005
East Africa
The Great Prairie Dog Steel Shoot

10 Steel Prairie Dog Targets ranging from 175-610 yards shot under time constraints.

Rimfire targets range from 50 yards to 175-ish yards.

$10 per rifle entry fee.

Third Saturday of every month, year round.

Each competitor will shoot all 10 targets in four separate strings requiring no more than 40 rounds.

One shot per target. No make up shots.

No penalties for misses. Only points earned for hits.

15 total seconds allowed per shot.

Targets hit within the first 10 seconds are worth 10 points. Hits between 10.01 seconds and 15.00 seconds are worth 5 points. If the competitor does not take a shot before 15.01 seconds or shoots after 15.01 seconds, it is a 10 point penalty, hit or miss.

Shooters start prone behind rifle with bolt handle up. Semi auto shooters start with safety on. Upon start signal shooter may load rifle and engage target.

4 divisions. Heavy rifle, 12+ pounds. Light rifle, under 12 pounds. Semi-Auto rifle. 22 Long Rifle.

Scopes, bi-pods, sandbags, rests, muzzle brakes, laser rangefinders allowed. SBR rifles allowed. Suppressors welcomed and strongly encouraged.

As of 2013 the caliber rules have changed. The max velocity for all bullet weights is 3,100 fps and no larger than 30 caliber. Sorry, still no 338 Lapuas allowed. For the 22 division, only 22 Long Rifle is allowed. No 17s or 22 magnums.

Steel Core, Armor-Piercing and Tracer ammo *NOT* allowed. $100 fine per target that is damaged with above ammo. If you are shooting ammo that you did not load, check it with a magnet to make sure it isnt steel core. Steel core will destroy my targets and you wont be happy when **YOU** have to spend a grand or more replacing it all. In addition to getting 86'ed from the match/range.

Match re-entries are allowed.

The match starts at 9:00 and again at 12:00. The 9:00 match has 20 slots. Once those 20 slots are filled, everyone else will shoot the 12:00 match.

Steel_Dog_2.sized.jpg

Steel_Dog_1.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Sniper / Prairie Dog Matches In Colorado

Nice, I'm in. We do the real dog shoot, how many we can hit in 5 minutes. A friend cheats with a supressor.

hell.....I might be up for a drive for this.....keep us informed

I think I could make this one, sounds fun.

Chuck, you know I am almost always flying that weekend or at least till late Saturday night... Maybe when I make E-9 and people will actually care what I have to say/think I will be able to get a Saturday and Sunday off, in the same weekend no less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are interested in this take a look here also ,
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=32563#Post32563

Maybe Hoser will come and play too one of these day's
</div></div>
That sounds good too but with 1 MOA targets I'll need to work up some real dope not just rely on these programs.

Hoser , they still won't listen and you'll still get emails about not having the right hat by people that won't say anything while your right in front of them . You know I got to mess with you

AR , the targets are in the 2 - 3 moa range , the 1moa is a recommendation , the match can be won if you shoot 1 moa all day .

Ward, Sounds like a blast, I'll try to make it. Is the first one in March?

Hey Hoser..depending on the weekend, Rod and I are there!! Sunday would be good as we could come up the night before (5 hour drive :))
Cheryl
smile.gif

I'm in 4 sure, long as my schedule stays the same and it's not conflicting with the other stuff I shoot (which isn't much)...

I have had a few people ask some questions that I had not thought of.

Q: Can I shoot a light gun in the light gun class and then again in heavy gun class, for match score?
A: Yes.

Q: Any chance of a handgun class for Silhouette or Masters type pistols?
A: Yes. Done.

Q: Exactly when?
A: It is looking like the third Saturdays in Pueblo, April thru Oct starting around noon. Sorry Cheryl. It is the only day I can have the 425 yard berm.

Q: Exactly where?
A: Pueblo West Sportsmans Assn. Go here for a map. http://ecouspsa.com/maps/pppsmap.html

Q: Is there prizes?
A: Nope. Bragging rights.

Q: Are suppressors allowed?
A: Allowed and encouraged.

Q: Can my kids come and watch?

Q: Can I shoot a 338 lapua?
A: Sorry no. See post ##523777, 19 March

Q: Can I shoot a 338 lapua?

Goood times , do you need to test the targets ? you know how to get a hold of us .

Mike and Mike are building 338 ultras and I know they'll shoot if you don't try to burn the barrels out like Eddie .

I'm a bit confused how the time is measured.....from the beep until shot fired, sure...but then each target is timed individually, right? And ranges are known? Any positional shooting or all prone?

338's are going to rape those dogs close up.

Each target is timed individually. You start prone behind your gun. You can move from prone if you want, but that’s just crazy. But all shots will start prone. I am trying to make it a “Hunting practice” game instead of another "Pueblo Eddie Match." My target customer is Joe Blow the hunter. Maybe show him competitive shooting isn’t a bad thing and get the club members out using the club.

The buzzer goes off. The timer will beep again at 15.00 seconds. You have 15.00 seconds to take a single shot. Shots taken from 0-10.00 a hit earns you 10 points. From 10.01-15.00 a hit earns you 5 points. Any shot taken after 15.01 is a 10 point penalty, hit or miss. Any miss from 0.00-15.00 is just that. No points earned or lost.

A 300 gn bullet has a lot of energy but its not going that fast compared to a 25 gn bullet smoking along at 3800-4000 fps. I hit one of these with my 50 at 425 yards and it didn’t do a thing to the steel. Velocity kills steel. Hell, a 15 gn bullet around 4500 smokes right through AR-500 inside of 150 yards.

I dont see many 338s shooting. Lots of recoil, big $$$ to shoot especially for targets that close. Around the 30 round mark even the hardest holders might be flinching a touch.

The ranges are known as long as you bring/borrow/steal rangefinders. Each target will have a big number close to it so you, the spotter and RO agree on what target is being shot. And they will not be shot in order, as in close to far. There might be a single wind flag out there. Mirage reading...

In a nutshell, its Virginia count steel fired from prone, scored as 40 separate strings. Most hits wins.

Hoser,
I can think of at least 6 of us that have been looking for an excuse to shoot our 338's in a match , and at the invitational we had one shooter with a 338 using the 250's @ 2900 ish put some holes in the targets . The 300's just plain smack the shit out of the steel , at 1000 the hit sounds like a 308 at about 250 . We all know what steel costs now and if you want to try it out a head of time just yell.

I will have a few of these targets at the next Eddie rifle match.

Lets plan on hitting a few of these from 225 yards to 300 yards.

Lizard has been hitting them with his 204 with 40 gn bullets around 200 yards with no damage.

If they do start geting beat to shit, I might have to change the caliber/velocity/bullet weight rules. Buying new target faces every month aint gonna happen.

I'll spread the word and make sure somebody brings a rifle .

Please do.

I think I still have some 250gn bullets for my 375 JRS (375 H&H Ackley-ized) that with about a 1/3 cup of Varget were going about 2850-2900. I will pound a few targets this weekend, if I can find the ammo.

I wasn't worried about the steel target, much as the frame and welds just from the sheer impact energy transferred. I've got an AR500 IPSC mounted on some rebar.....with the 338 inside of 300 the plate is fine, but the rebar gets bent to all hell.

Hopefully I'll have my 260 in time and I can start cheating like the rest of you basterds.

We are in. 3rd Saturdays 'cept for June when JJ is running his match.

11:00-ish, after I am done shooting silhouette.

No set shooters meeting. Show up, shoot when its your turn, go home.

No caliber restrictions as of now.

I have put a few 250s on the targets at 200 yards and no cracked welds.

I want to beat up them a bit more before I make an official call that 338s can play.

But as of right now, nothing lighter than 40 gn bullets. Thats it.

Game on next month.

Sorry guys, no 338s. All was well till I hit a target low just above the bottom attaching bolt. Not only was the target thrown several feet, but the welds cracked.

You tease , got us all worked for nuthin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You tease , got us all worked for nuthin </div></div>

I learned that little trick from my wife.

Yup. 2506 is the blue lock combo. See you there.

You going to be shooting your 260?

I'll be there too most likley and maybe the Mike's also .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You going to be shooting your 260? </div></div>

yes, she finally arived.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
yes, she finally arived. </div></div>

Did you give her a name?

I should have a loaner rifle there for people to shoot if they dont have a gun. It is a suppressed Tubb2000 chambered in 6XC. You buy the ammo, pay the match fee and its on.

Hoser , RM3G sent an email out that You were bringing the zoomies up there sat. , has there been a failure to communicate or should we still come down ?

I am not bringing up the cadets, they are going up all on their own.

I am shooting silhouette in the morning and then running this match after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have a loaner rifle there for people to shoot if they dont have a gun. It is a suppressed Tubb2000 chambered in 6XC. You buy the ammo, pay the match fee and its on. </div></div>

That's one hell of a loaner rifle. You gonna put the dope on it for me too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You gonna put the dope on it for me too? </div></div>

No, but I might slip a mickey in your soda...

Actually my Tubb is all sighted in for 115 DTACs poking along around 2850.

All turned out well. Ended up with about twice (almost 20) as many shooters as I thought would make it out.

It started out breezy. By 2:00 the wind was a steady 20-25 out of the south-east. By 3:00 it was gusty, but still out of the south. I live north of the range and just about coasted home due to the howling tailwind.

It was a lot of fun and some real good shooters showed up.

So far it looks like Mr Butterpants is the man with Mike Aos, Lizard and Charlie hot on his heels. No perfect scores.

Surgeon Rifles donated hats to everyone at todays match. Please remember them the next time you go to buy a custom rifle or action. Support those that support you. http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/

The common caliber today was 223 and 308. Also found was 20 Tactical, 22BR, 6XC, 6-284, 6.5-284 and 260.

The lack of dings/holes in the targets just reemphasizes the fact that if you cry once and buy good quality AR-500 steel, it wont get all chewed up and beat to hell.

Being the first match like this I have put on, the learning curve was steep. But we recovered fast. I was able to draw on the experience of the Colorado Multi-Gun crowd and they gave me a few tips on how to make run faster and with less ass pain.

Next months match should go much faster after thinking about what needs changing. For starters the match director needs to remember to shoot the match. I only remembered to get 10 out of 40 rounds downrange.

I will post some pics when I finish the scores and get some fluids in me.

Tomorrow is IDPA and Monday night is IPSC.

Hoser, thanks for putting on this match. Fun was had by all. At least until the wind picked up.
mad.gif

Here are some pics. You can see the praire dogs off to the side of the numbers. Target one was around 225 and target 10 was around 425 yards.
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg

Those doggs were small you SOB!

Great match, challenging, fun/good crowd, great weather....bit o' wind.

I'm happy that chuck didn't bring his 260 so I could finally win something.