• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So I talked to my friend in the AF

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
Hes currently a graduate of Basic, and is now waiting to go through Tech school for Explosive Ordinance Disposal.
This is the MOS i was most likely choosing. He called me today and said the rule set in place is if you fail, you get discharged from the military, no recycling, no reclassing.

Anyone have some info on this, an article etc.
Sorry if this is a repost.

Re: So I talked to my friend in the AF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't Fail. </div></div>

Great mentality to live by, and i dont plan on it.
But an 87% drop out rate and a similar fail rate makes you scratch your head and wonder if its worth the 6 months tech school and basic to possibly fail and be sent packing.
Great motivator though.

I'm not sure if that is the rule right now, but the AF is looking to cut about 6500 this year. So that wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. Good luck with the training.

I'm waiting for someone to ask how you heard anything over the roar of the air conditioner and the mad tinkling of ice at the other end.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting for someone to ask how you heard anything over the roar of the air conditioner and the mad tinkling of ice at the other end.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

yeah yeah yeah
i hear enough of it at the gym and with friends who are joining the Army/Marines.
yada yada yada chairforce lobster chow massage chairs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better to fail in class than to fail disarming an IED. </div></div>

Theres more to EOD school than just solely defusing a bomb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Theres more to EOD school than just solely defusing a bomb </div></div>

You dont say. Well aren't you Captain Obvious. Eod does a bunch of very important tasks such as defusing mines, ied's, unexploded ord and clearing safe passage for armor with mine detection. This isn't my first rodeo.

But of course there's alot more to AF EOD........like long walks from air conditioned barracks to an air conditioned mess halls. If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

wink.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif
Im not looking for sympathy. Id much rather take the better benefits, better housing, better food, better pay, better treatment in general than the average soldier or marine "hardass." All branches of the military have their purpose. Comparing them is like arguing over religion or whether or not theres a flying spaghetti monster that judges what we do. I never said i was joining the AF because its easier. Im joining because its smarter.

You can take your glory in whatever branch you served in, if you did. But it really doesn't matter.

OK, I'll bite. I'm calling bullshit on this. I'm not saying that isn't what your friend was told.... I'm saying it isn't the truth and is solely used as an added motivator to the students to graduate the course.

The US military, regardless of branch, does not reduce numbers by early discharge. They do it by reduced recruiting and re-enlistments. Getting someone all the way through the recruiting and initial training process only to kick them out for failure to graduate one of the top 10% toughest training programs in the Armed Forces makes absolutely no sense at all.

Failure would likely result in reclassing of the service member so they better pass or learn to ask "would you like gravy on your biscuits?"

I know that there's a joke in here somewhere about a bucket of flight line.

Joining the AF isn't smarter than joining the Army or Marines. That's a foolish statement you made there. What the Army or Marines lack in "better food" or "better housing" they make up in training a better war fighter. Enjoy your "better treatment"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I'll bite. I'm calling bullshit on this. I'm not saying that isn't what your friend was told.... I'm saying it isn't the truth and is solely used as an added motivator to the students to graduate the course.

The US military, regardless of branch, does not reduce numbers by early discharge. They do it by reduced recruiting and re-enlistments. Getting someone all the way through the recruiting and initial training process only to kick them out for failure to graduate one of the top 10% toughest training programs in the Armed Forces makes absolutely no sense at all.

Failure would likely result in reclassing of the service member so they better pass or learn to ask "would you like gravy on your biscuits?" </div></div>

He informed me of this today. And he was briefed...today by a colonel.

Idk you could be right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joining the AF isn't smarter than joining the Army or Marines. That's a foolish statement you made there. What the Army or Marines lack in "better food" or "better housing" they make up in training a better war fighter. Enjoy your "better treatment"! </div></div>

Im not going to get into it for reasons stated above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that there's a joke in here somewhere about a bucket of flight line. </div></div>

Or maybe a box of grid squares?</div></div> Don't forget your bucket of prop wash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Im not going to get into it for reasons stated above. </div></div>

Damn Son. Hike up that skirt and defend yourself. You're starting to look like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest here. </div></div>

Somebody needs to drop a trail of bread crumbs to the SB.

Nom, nom, nom!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that there's a joke in here somewhere about a bucket of flight line. </div></div>

Or maybe a box of grid squares?</div></div> Don't forget your bucket of prop wash. </div></div>

Chem light batteries?</div></div> Used all those to power the PRC-E7

wink.gif
Im not looking for sympathy. Id much rather take the better benefits, better housing, better food, better pay, better treatment in general than the average soldier or marine "hardass." All branches of the military have their purpose. Comparing them is like arguing over religion or whether or not theres a flying spaghetti monster that judges what we do. I never said i was joining the AF because its easier. Im joining because its smarter.

You can take your glory in whatever branch you served in, if you did. But it really doesn't matter.

</div></div>

I don't know who's feeding you a bucket of shit, but the pay is the same and the benefits are damn near the same for all branches. Better treatment in general? Huh. In 2010 the DoD ran the numbers and figured out that 76% of all airmen that reported to a combat zone were not payed their full combat pay of $225.00 a month. Most were only getting $100. And yes, the AF was the only branch that screwed it's soldiers.

Beyond all the bickering and such, one thing you need to accept off the get go is that you will continue to get crap from every direction. Marines do it to the army, army does it to airforce, navy does it to coast guard, etc, etc, etc. It's all in good fun.

Yes I served, Army 97-05.

Look on the bright side, at least you're not enlisting in the coast guard. Did you know you have to be 6' tall to be in the coast guard. That way when your boat sinks, you can walk back to shore. </div></div>

I laughed out loud to that coast guard comment.
But yeah im used to getting the flak from my army buddies, and my marine buddies. Ive tried telling them that theres not a big enough difference to compare, and that in my opinion the AF is a better route, so im not going to go off on a tangent about it.

And every time i get into these ass kicking contests someone gets all raged and flames out.

The wrench is hanging right next to the keys to the HMMWV.....

By the way OP, choose your branch for whatever reasons help you sleep better at night. I was a recruiter and I've seen them all. Each branch has its own characteristics and advantages.

We're all on the same team, and I liken this kind of conversation to what college football team is better. It's childish. Sending the Privates over to the 1stSgt for an ID-10-T form is hilarious though!

Besides.
AF EOD Is still not set in stone for me.
Im still debating on taking the Army route into infantry of some sort, later into a more advanced, specialized school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well then mabe the AF sucks as much as I thought. Piss on them for being that way. Join the Army, visit other countries, meet interesting people...then kill them. </div></div>

hehe.
Well. From what ive read/heard the washout rate isnt soley from the class difficulty.
Of course you have people who lose interest after 4 months.
Those who were signed up for it and want their old Mos back.
Those who lose themselves in the Eglin night life etc.

Not to say it isnt hard though.

When you enlist, you have a contract. That means you are stuck with them and they are stuck with you. There are addendems that can be added, you must check them. Now, getting discharged via conduct/medical issues is a different story.

The military is small and getting smaller. I have not seen enlisted being kicked out during an enlistment contract (except discipline/medical). I have seen officers who attrite from programs not get transitions and being shown the door. Perform to serve, height/weight physical standards, and high year tenture are other factors that can lead to a discharge early.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Theres more to EOD school than just solely defusing a bomb </div></div>

You dont say. Well aren't you Captain Obvious. Eod does a bunch of very important tasks such as defusing mines, ied's, unexploded ord and clearing safe passage for armor with mine detection. This isn't my first rodeo.

But of course there's alot more to AF EOD........like long walks from air conditioned barracks to an air conditioned mess halls. If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

wink.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif

</div></div>

Thats debatable with downsizing. Airforce is relatively small as opposed to the Army. Marines are trying to establish their importance/relativity/justify their existance (they will never go away fyi, but no one wants to be minimalized in manpower and funds since the tasks will only grow).
Navy??? Still have no idea what they do???
grin.gif

If you are looking at the anything make sure you have a plan and some backup options! Think about schooling down the road and Airforce ROTC or other if this doesn't work out.

Now last I looked the Airforce was paid the same as the Army, Marines, and Navy!!! This is online and available thanks to the freedom of information act!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Look on the bright side, at least you're not enlisting in the coast guard. Did you know you have to be 6' tall to be in the coast guard. That way when your boat sinks, you can walk back to shore. </div></div>

Hey, I resemble that remark......and I'm exactly 6' tall, and the water may be shallow, but the bottom's sandy......

QM2 USCG 1969-1973
Operation Market Time, RVN, 1970-1971

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey, I resemble that remark......and I'm exactly 6' tall, and the water may be shallow, but the bottom's sandy......

QM2 USCG 1969-1973

</div></div>
So, have you kissed the belly of Neptune?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well. From what ive read/heard the washout rate isnt soley from the class difficulty.
Of course you have people who lose interest after 4 months.
Those who were signed up for it and want their old Mos back.
Those who lose themselves in the Eglin night life etc.</div></div>

It doesn't take a genius to pass any of the .mil schools; it takes motivation. A typical two year school is compressed into about 12 months.

And then there is Sammy's on the Island.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

QM2 USCG 1969-1973

</div></div>
So, have you kissed the belly of Neptune? </div></div>

I'm a Shellback, a Blue Nose, and a Golden Dragon......

I have really good buddy of mine who's an EOD tech in the AF. I can tell you that it is tough to make through selection. Also if you do make it, you will get to do some really cool shit that nobody else does. He's told me and my buddies some shit that would really blow your mind. As far as how "cushy" his job is. I know that when he is stateside he does nothing but train and travel around to bombing ranges disposing ordance. When he's in the sandbox he gets just as dirty and tired as anyone else. Someone here on the hide to talk to might be boom2336. He's in the Marines attached to an EOD team right now. He could probably give you some info on the day to day stuff and maybe how the techs make it through selection.