• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some PX Thoughts the direction I am heading

1549661843775.png

Been a reader on here for years, recently joined and began posting, and in the short time I’ve been scrolling the PX I’ve noticed these issues repeatedly. I think the proposed changes are a great idea. Too many people there just wanting to sell.

HOGs vs PIGs,

I would that is a good reference but I feel it hits too close to home for me as something used by professionals

I wouldn't mind a similar reference just not a direct reference if that sounds right.

Using Hessian, Maybe we say, Patriot or Something similar like a Revolutionary War reference it would be a good way to do it

HOGs vs PIGs,

I would that is a good reference but I feel it hits too close to home for me as something used by professionals

I wouldn't mind a similar reference just not a direct reference if that sounds right.

Using Hessian, Maybe we say, Patriot or Something similar like a Revolutionary War reference it would be a good way to do it
Yeah I understand that. Wasn’t trying to disrespect the great men who have those titles.

Maybe you should do it by symbols with a caption. Keeping in the flavor of the Hessian reference and have the average Hide member be represented by that iconic Militia statue. Have the For Sale dudes have a Hessian figure next to their name. Give the mods a Continental general on horseback. I think that this would make a cool and unique theme if you found the right images with a little caption under them. I have tons of time free this week so if you want I can dig around for some symbols just to see how it would look.

ETA: great minds...
The symbols make it easier for us grunts.

You can call the pay to sell people Arms Dealer, people who contribute I. The technical forums are patriots, team room guys can be sharlitans.

Understood. That Revolutionary theme does give a bunch of options. At least it will be better than taking the title “Full Member”.
You never want to take the Full Member.
I like this new direction.

Reactions: Bender
I kinda like belligerents, the definitions fit and actually go back to the Take No Prisoners way the forum works,

We have attitude, and I like attitude, we clash, conflict and battle it out, calling like it is.

I think it works
What about "veterans" for full members?

Reactions: Darkhorse1
I am sticking with Belligerents right now until something better comes along.

The site has a reputation, which in turn, the members have a reputation for being a bit hard on fools. This fits that narrative well.

We are combative in a lot of ways, and people hate my straight for the throat attitude, which translates to a reputation for the site.

Belligerents fit that model

Veterans, Sniper, Etc are all specific designations vs a group designation, I want something more Broad.

Hessian, in the same manner, speaks to a specific group which those who buy access fall into. So it's back to general and specific titles that fit the groups associated it to.

This is interesting, a lot of "New Members" are suddenly signing up for the online training I suspect to bypass the rules on For Sale Postings

Gaming the system, so now I have to adjust those permissions to not allow free access to the PX via the Online Training
Fucking ban them from the onset, I get why your fed up with this shit, but dammit lets not the other asshats f this up for the honest folks. I like what parameters you have set. Nothing is going to be fool proof, but making them go pull their scams elsewhere is well underway with your implementations.

Nice, I think the changes are a positive move for the boards. They're not too restrictive, but tighten things up sufficiently. Hopefully the riff-raff thins out some going forward.

I just removed the permission to post with an Online Training Account, you need the full membership.

Prior to today, you could post in the PX with just an Online Training account, that is gone now. Only a Military Account and Full Member Access will let you post in the PX unless you buy.

The Group Buy section is now moderated, I have to manually approve those

I like the manually approved group buy idea because it preserves the perks of the group buy idea for Hide Belligerents but cuts away the ability for companies to abuse it.
You guys put enough work into this site that it shouldn’t be a free for all for companies to use and abuse.

That is next, over the weekend I have to make some permanent announcements on the subject and then sticky them.

Other than the automated fixes I put in place, we'll have to have a grace period for things like bumping a post. I know people are gonna screw that up for the next month. But I don't want to count hours, just saying, you posted on the ad on 2/8, you can then bump it at 2/10, who cares if you bump it at midnight or noon, as long as it is 2 days apart. The bumps are something that drives me crazy.

After this, it's back to business as usual. We will bring on a PX Mod, but otherwise, we want to be hands-free as much as possible.

I have already automated and updated a lot of the permissions.

Yes, i am gonna go in and change the Group buys or I may just remove it.

The Group Buy section has been completely abused by people. I have to do something big with that, but I know some manufacturers who have been long supporters of the forum like Manners Stocks (He was offering his 2019 Group Buy Today) so I have to weigh how to change that.

But my initial thought is to remove it or make it a commercial account only

OK, I know I'm totally off topic, but where is info on Manners group buy? I've been impatiently waiting for it...

Back on topic - for those who basically only post in the PX, is there any easy way to ID/tag them publicly? I know it's easy to see those that have like 6 listings all at the same time, but for some dealers who post once a month when they get their new chassis/scope/accessory order and try to flip it, would be nice to have clear information that they are a dealer and not just an individual happening to sell off unneeded items.

Reactions: Snuby642
OK, I know I'm totally off topic, but where is info on Manners group buy? I've been impatiently waiting for it...

Back on topic - for those who basically only post in the PX, is there any easy way to ID/tag them publicly? I know it's easy to see those that have like 6 listings all at the same time, but for some dealers who post once a month when they get their new chassis/scope/accessory order and try to flip it, would be nice to have clear information that they are a dealer and not just an individual happening to sell off unneeded items.
Simplest thing is to just click on that person’s title and view their posts. It isn’t difficult, really.

Simplest thing is to just click on that person’s title and view their posts. It isn’t difficult, really.
yes, I do that now. Just was asking if it were easy to surface for folks without that extra step. Engineering background makes me look at anything done manually to see if it can be automated and save everyone time.

This is interesting, a lot of "New Members" are suddenly signing up for the online training I suspect to bypass the rules on For Sale Postings
Gaming the system, so now I have to adjust those permissions to not allow free access to the PX via the Online Training

How about an option to put that to your benefit:

For the online training have an option like now for monthly at $15/month or yearly at $150 to $170 and say if you are a new member and sign up for the yearly billing for the online training then you get PX access included

It's a bit over complicated, your need two options that do the same thing.

What they do, sign up, pay $15 , list their item and then cancel the online training because it's recurring.

Because I changed the upgrades over the last month, I can see trends. When I changed the PX access last week, the training sign ups went up unnaturally. We had near zero PX upgrades and all Training.

If you give them a loophole they immediately exploit it.

What you are saying is no different from upgrading both, versus making a third option. It's redundant.

It's a bit over complicated, your need two options that do the same thing.

What they do, sign up, pay $15 , list their item and then cancel the online training because it's recurring.

Because I changed the upgrades over the last month, I can see trends. When I changed the PX access last week, the training sign ups went up unnaturally. We had near zero PX upgrades and all Training.

If you give them a loophole they immediately exploit it.

What you are saying is no different from upgrading both, versus making a third option. It's redundant.
Loophole = OPSEC

Reactions: Bender