• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SPR

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    I've had a hole in my safe for an SPR for some time but its one of those rifles that's been on the back burner, but I fell into this deal that I couldn't refuse...

Seekins matched upper and lower
    Troy rails
    Magpul ACS
    Fluted DEZ 20" match barrel, 1-9 twist
    PWS flash hider
    Chrome plated BCG (don't know whose)
    USO 1.8-10X (had it lying around)
    12.5 lbs with optic (no mag)
    JP trigger (not a fan but it works)

This is my 1st Seekins platform and I gotta say...really nice freakin' receivers.

Should be much cheaper to train with than my other rigs

746-p7280093.jpg

747-p7280095.jpg

Attachments

• 747-p7280095.jpg
      747-p7280095.jpg
      66.4 KB · Views: 16
    • 746-p7280093.jpg
      746-p7280093.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:
    You don't like the JP Trigger ? If you don't mine why ?

Ummm...there simply are those that feel better to me. I had one break on me once but I can't really say that's the reason...if you shoot a lot, shit is going to break. I'd shoot a $10 trigger if it felt better than someone's "magic" trigger.

I feel the same way about JP triggers. I am waiting for an LRP right now. I've told myself I am going to spend at least 200 rds with the JP trigger to see if it grows on me. If not the rifle will get a geissele, probably the SD-E. For me I think I just have so much more time on two stage triggers.

Thank you for your response, I was just curious because I have not heard to many people that did not like it. Triggers are just like rifles, everyone likes what fits them best. Congrats and you have a beautiful weapon shoot the hell out of it.

I feel the same way about JP triggers. I am waiting for an LRP right now. I've told myself I am going to spend at least 200 rds with the JP trigger to see if it grows on me. If not the rifle will get a geissele, probably the SD-E. For me I think I just have so much more time on two stage triggers.

I have the Geissele SSA and SSA-E in my PWS carbines and both are great triggers. I actually shot fairly well with the JP I had in a SASS I used to own but it just wasn't quite as crisp as some other singe stage offerings. They're surely much better than most all rack grade triggers. The breakage issue I had might have been a poor/improper install from DPMS

Just curious, why the 1/9 twist selection for an SPR?
    Didn't have a choice. This was a completed build that wouldn't sell because of the asking price and I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse so I leaped on it. Given its purpose as a trainer it should shoot well enough. I'll likely fry the barrel within 2 years anyway so I can get something more suitable when the time comes. I likely got this thing close to cost.

Last edited:
    Cool, I had a feeling it was something like that. I've been running a 1/7 on my Centurion built MK12, and I have to say it's nothing short of amazing how well it shoots 77gr Sierras. The last 1/9 barrel I have in my stable is getting ditched because I can't get it to group worth shit with any ammo... Of course it's not the twist's fault, just a shitty Para-USA barrel on a shitty TTR, but I'm going to get that thing to shoot well if it breaks the bank out of pure stubbornness!

Very nice build and looks great; makes me want this next leave to hurry up and get here so I can complete my two Seekins builds.

Cool, I had a feeling it was something like that. I've been running a 1/7 on my Centurion built MK12, and I have to say it's nothing short of amazing how well it shoots 77gr Sierras. The last 1/9 barrel I have in my stable is getting ditched because I can't get it to group worth shit with any ammo... Of course it's not the twist's fault, just a shitty Para-USA barrel on a shitty TTR, but I'm going to get that thing to shoot well if it breaks the bank out of pure stubbornness!

Very nice build and looks great; makes me want this next leave to hurry up and get here so I can complete my two Seekins builds.

This should do fairly well with FGM 69's. Strangely enough I was told the twist was 1 in 8.5 but the barrel is stamped 1-9. Not sure what the logic behind that choice was or even if its true but DEZ barrels aren't exactly top tier to begin with so I can't complain. I'll find out how she shoots tomorrow. If I can hit a 12" plate at 600 I'll be happy and it will suit my purposes. Its mostly a positional trainer and I'll be happy with 1-1.2 MOA

Last edited:
    I got to take it out today and except for a bolt that was slightly "over-chromed" it's an impressive shooter. The bolt kept locking up so I had to break position and free it between shots so I simply adjusted to center punch one round @ 100 and just called it zeroed. Then moved directly to 600.

In spite of the bolt lockup and unjamming between shots, the 1st 3 rounds printed at the left edge of the plate just under 1/2 MOA. Almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. After unjamming the bolt again the wind kicked up and the next was close to centerline and the last 2 printed at the right edge. I didn't correct for wind/elevation since I just wanted to get a feel for the barrel and I didn't trust the zero to be perfect, but I'd say it's a hammer running FGMM 69's. Vertical spread was @ 5.75". I'll take that any day from a 5.56 @ 600

After bringing it home I discovered that the bolt cam was simply too tight so I lapped it out and it feels night and day different. Quite surprising for a Frankengun. Hopefully the jamming is cured and I can just drop in a better trigger

751-imag0117.jpg

Last edited:
    Actually try some 77 grain if you have them. I have a 9 twist barrel that likes them much better than the fed 69gr gmm. I keep hearing about 1-9 not being able to stabilize that round. I have 2 barrels (a 20" armalite and a 16" colt) that shoot them very well.
    I keep hearing that but from what I saw today the FGM 69's are nothing to sneeze at. I'll likely try a few different pills and run the cheapest round I can find that will print sub MOA at 600. Not concerned too much with the prettiest groups.