• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield 6.5 PRC Throat Issues Part 2 (Pic Heavy)

Ankeny

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
In another post I talked about pressure issues with my new Waypoint Rifle Here's a follow up. The ammo used was this:
ammo.JPG

I shot 16 rounds during sight-in (no groups because the erector springs on my NIB Leupy VX-5HD went to crap, but that's another story). I busted out the Wipe-Out and the accelerator and gave the barrel a couple of treatments. I then bought a Lyman Bore Scope because I am tired of borrowing my friend's Hawkeye. Here's what appeared just ahead of the case mouth.

carbon 2.JPG

carbon 3.JPG

carbon 4.JPG

carbon 5.JPG

And so on and so forth. So I took my Witches' Brew (a mixture of JB bore paste and Kroil marketed by Dayrl Holland) and went to work.

After the Witches' Brew the throat looked like this.
carbon gone.JPG

carbon gone 2.JPG

carbon gone 3.JPG

While I was at it I scoped the chamber and it is definitely rough enough to grab the case during expansion.

chamber 3.JPG

I then scoped the crown and there is a burr all away around the inside.

crown.JPG

I smoked a factory round with a candle and chambered it to see if the bullet contacted the lands and I got this:

bullet ring.JPG
ring 2.JPG

The fired primers are a bit flat and they are coming back into contact with the bolt face.
primer.JPG

I sent some of these pics in an e-mail to Springfield yesterday. I have not heard back.