• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr is over rated. Prove me wrong

i think i read the entire thread so far

i have several from years ago, which are all fine

is there a time/year when they started to show issues
Yeah, Spuhrs are well know to randomly fail after 6-7 months. The powedered metalurgy they use reverts back to it’s powdered state shortly after purchase. Spuhr markets this as an exclusive feature and will sue any other manufacturer if they produce scope mounts that disintegrate shortly after installation.

I don’t see why anyone uses rings except to save money. I’m anal retentive when it comes to leveling a scope and spuhr makes that easy. When I get the scope mounted I don’t have to fool with leveling it again when I switch it to another rifle. I will only use 1 piece mounts because of this.

I don’t see why anyone uses rings except to save money. I’m anal retentive when it comes to leveling a scope and spuhr makes that easy. When I get the scope mounted I don’t have to fool with leveling it again when I switch it to another rifle. I will only use 1 piece mounts because of this.
Split top receiver for one. Nothing wrong with rings as long as the base is solid.

Reactions: lash
Split top receiver for one. Nothing wrong with rings as long as the base is solid.
I bought a picatinny rail for my cz 527 just so I didn’t have to use rings. Not saying there is anything wrong with rings, I just prefer the ease of swapping scopes around in 3 minutes with a 1 piece vs an hour I know I’d spend trying to get the “perfect” level in rings.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
I bought a picatinny rail for my cz 527 just so I didn’t have to use rings. Not saying there is anything wrong with rings, I just prefer the ease of swapping scopes around in 3 minutes with a 1 piece vs an hour I know I’d spend trying to get the “perfect” level in rings.
But once the scope is level in the rings why would you need to relevel? You don’t have to take the rings off?

I wouldn’t trust the picatinny specs between different rifles are the same.

I wouldn’t trust the picatinny specs between different rifles are the same.
Now that’s just silly. If the mount of a one piece works between all rails, why would two rings solidly mounted on a scope be any different?

FWIW, I have both rings and one-piece mounts on my scopes and have no issue swapping out either to a different rifle. Call me a sample of one, with multiple choices.

Each to their own though.

Last edited:
You count on that being the case when you swap one piece mounts from base to base. What’s the difference?
I know it’s being anal, but if there is a difference in cant between the front picatinny slot and the back slot and you simply swapped guns without reseating the rings on the rail and then resetting the scope in the rings, there would be a leverage/rotational force going on between the rings and scope tube.

With a one piece this factor doesn’t come into play between rifles with their own slightly unique picatinny rails.

Last edited:
I know it’s being anal, but if there is a difference in cant between the front picatinny slot and the back slot and you simply swapped guns without reseating the rings on the rail, there would be a leverage/rotational force going on between the rings and scope tube.
Strongly disagree. I mount everything on a badger dead level off of the gun. no issues. I swap regularly. I use badger rings. Spuhr mounts.

Mounting the optic level to the rings is no guarantee that the optic is level yo the rifle or, more importantly, to how you mount the rifle. The Spuhr leveling thing may or may not be effective in leveling your optic on a meaningful manner.

guys guys, just buy a ring/mount whatever and scope per rifle and problem solved. Maybe I’m crazy, but once I have a scope I like, mounted and zeroed, I don’t take it off. Only reason it would come off is if the rifle was going to get worked on. Now, if you only have budget for one scope and are using it across multiple rifles then maybe, sure but that seems like a pain in the ass. I use and rather have my shit ready to go.

PS I have unimounts and rings. Only one spuhr tho. But I’ve never had an issue with it. Big fan of ARC rings.

Reactions: Charger442
guys guys, just buy a ring/mount whatever and scope per rifle and problem solved. Maybe I’m crazy, but once I have a scope I like, mounted and zeroed, I don’t take it off. Only reason it would come off is if the rifle was going to get worked on. Now, if you only have budget for one scope and are using it across multiple rifles then maybe, sure but that seems like a pain in the ass. I use and rather have my shit ready to go.

PS I have unimounts and rings. Only one spuhr tho. But I’ve never had an issue with it. Big fan of ARC rings.
I have too many scopes, and not enough rings... (Spuhrs are always oos) 😆😆😆 first world problems I guess 🤷🏾‍♂️😉

1000002849.jpg

if your going to abuse it everything is over rated and if it's gun related it's always over priced .

Thank you very much! Sadly it seems they hate ZCO (36mm) :LOL: so I'm back to safety glasses with readers. That would work on my Nightforce though.
Look up MK Machining, I know they have a magnifier so they may have the ones you require.

Edit: They do

Dewds, srsly....
Use leupold Mk4 steel rings.
If you run out of ammo you can take one off and throw the thing easily killing your quarry.
It's like ....practical and shit.

You mean the stripped out Torx bolt on the pic rail clamp area ?
I would say that would be an easy call.....don't use correct tool, don't pass go, don't collect $200 warranty.
You can strip those POS screws just by looking at them. One of the reasons why I would never buy Spuhrs ever again.

Reactions: BurtG
Hey, but at least all of those screw holes make them look cool and tactical and shit.

Reactions: Bender
Meh...

$200 Savage Axis (walmart) around 6/7 lbs.

IMG_1276.jpeg

$20 of jbweld

$30 chicom mount

$25 dollar walmart bags

$1,000 5X25

$200- Dies, bullets and powder. Cases were ground pickups.

With the right load shoot sub 1/2.

IMG_1278.jpeg

ha ha!!!!

Spuhr mounts are at the top of the food chain for scope mounts. I run one in FDE on my 20S. They are expensive, but built like a friggin tank. The built in bubble level is a nice touch too for long range shooting. I think the best choice for a large scope is definitely a Spuhr. For an LPVO, I would probably go with a Geiselle.

With regard to eating optics, a good mount might help prevent it a little bit, but a quality Scar-rated optic is really what you need to prevent that. I'm sure the NF ATACR you mentioned will have no issues, as they are built like tanks

• Haha
Reactions: schmi015 and BurtG