• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr is over rated. Prove me wrong

id like to know how that happens.

Good question, mounted mount to rifle, torqued to the sako dovetail at 45 in/lbs. Put scope on, torqued screws to specified 25in/lbs. Took .338 lapua out to shoot and 3 shots in was scratching my head as the 3rd shot was a foot right. Went to touch the scope and well shit its moving in the mount and it now has a nice gouge. So went home, ordered rosin, applied rosin, remounted and haven't had issues since. But if i could do over it would be arc rings. I love arc rings.

Reactions: dzander
Good question, mounted mount to rifle, torqued to the sako dovetail at 45 in/lbs. Put scope on, torqued screws to specified 25in/lbs. Took .338 lapua out to shoot and 3 shots in was scratching my head as the 3rd shot was a foot right. Went to touch the scope and well shit its moving in the mount and it now has a nice gouge. So went home, ordered rosin, applied rosin, remounted and haven't had issues since. But if i could do over it would be arc rings. I love arc rings.

soooo.... have you tried to grab ahold of the scope and pull it fore or aft? if it resists that, it should resist recoil.

id have to speculate a torque wrench error somewhere.

Reactions: plong
What happens when your S&B slips in a spuhr mount? Well you ad rosin after the fact, but it still leaves you unhappy. Cause now you have a little gouge.
View attachment 7457587

Interesting. Did you follow the proper torque specs?

FWIW I have a ZCO in a Spuhr. It's been flawless, no slipping, no rosin or bubble gum involved. Mile High installed it when I bought it on an AX and I haven't had to touch a thing since.

Same. I installed a scope in mine almost 10 years ago and never had any issues. No rosin, no oil, no special anything.

I'm kind of wondering how much of the problem is also user error.

The instructions that come with the Spuhr mounts don't seem to be the best. I had to learn a few things by emailing and asking them.

One thing they recommend is using wet torque on the ring halves - either with loctite or the factory wax that is put on the screws.

Hmmm...I bought mine used, didn’t use anything special and didn’t receive any instructions. Seemed pretty self explanatory to me.

id like to know how that happens.

Me too. I’m going to go with improper mounting/torquing.

Reactions: BikePilot
Good rings, but definitely a bit overhyped and over engineered to some degree.

I think their big advantage is the ability to add a bunch of gadgets, like for NV shooting. They have a leg up on other brands on that. Otherwise, I hate rings that use a bunch of screws - it generally makes scope mounting really annoying. They have a bigger footprint and weigh more, which could be a pro in the world of 21+ lb 6mm wonderguns, but I personally don't have a need for the excess weight. All the threads on cracked Spuhrs don't give me a warm and fuzzy either, but to Spuhrs credit, they do have awesome customer service and will make it right.

My favorite brand of rings is ARC. It's very elegantly designed. No problems with scope and zero retention, even on my .300NM. Scope mounting is a breeze with the single screw, and the clamshell design has been engineered to apply even pressure/torque through the entire scope tube, rather then in concentrated areas. I have ARC's now on all of my rifles, I love the design and they aren't lacking in features I feel I need.

Reactions: kortik
Ive got an S&B PMII that was mounted on an LMT MWS in a Spuhr.

Mine is 20 mil cant.

Never had an issue with it and since 2009 or so it hasnt been touched, just shot the rifle.

Took it off the rifle and now the scope mount combo are sitting idle pending a new build in motion.

1604005974410.png

I have nothing negative to say about the product but Im thinking I may look to trade it for some Badger USMC M40A3 rings as being more appropriate for this rifle.

I agree that the wide, 6 screw rings on the Spuhr can be an issue and are more technique sensitive during installation.

If you just crank all 6 ring screws down to say 20 in/lb in one step and you don’t tighten them in a specific order you will be left with a tweaked ring with uneven pressure on the scope tube. I have a hunch this method of installation is responsible for some of the complaints of “my scope slipped.”

With the Spuhr rings, you have to start snugging the center screws first, then criss-cross snug the outside 4 screws, and then repeat the process starting back with the center screws-- stepping up the torque each repetition. I like to torque them progressively in 4 steps, then go over all of them in order (2x center, then criss-cross the outside 4) one more time at the final torque value to make sure they don’t tighten any more. The criss-cross tightening pattern and stepping up the torque in multiple steps is common sense to me having assembled a lot of engines over the years, but may not be familiar to others; I’ve done it when installing all scope rings regardless of brand.

Never once had a scope slip in probably 20ish Spuhr mounts I’ve installed over the years for myself and friends, and never used rosin on any of them... but I don’t doubt it can happen.

ARC rings on the other hand make things stupid simple… one screw and done, the design of the ring does all the work for you. Ted gets a cookie for that design.

Interesting. Did you follow the proper torque specs?

See post #51

Same. I installed a scope in mine almost 10 years ago and never had any issues. No rosin, no oil, no special anything.

Hmmm...I bought mine used, didn’t use anything special and didn’t receive any instructions. Seemed pretty self explanatory to me.

I used this diagram and followed the instructions.... except for step G after the fact.
1604008169984.png

Shit happens when shooting 338 lapua....

Reactions: Ravenworks
I agree that the wide, 6 screw rings on the Spuhr can be an issue and are more technique sensitive during installation.

If you just crank all 6 ring screws down to say 20 in/lb in one step and you don’t tighten them in a specific order you will be left with a tweaked ring with uneven pressure on the scope tube. I have a hunch this method of installation is responsible for some of the complaints of “my scope slipped.”

With the Spuhr rings, you have to start snugging the center screws first, then criss-cross snug the outside 4 screws, and then repeat the process starting back with the center screws-- stepping up the torque each repetition. I like to torque them progressively in 4 steps, then go over all of them in order (2x center, then criss-cross the outside 4) one more time at the final torque value to make sure they don’t tighten any more. The criss-cross tightening pattern and stepping up the torque in multiple steps is common sense to me having assembled a lot of engines over the years, but may not be familiar to others; I’ve done it when installing all scope rings regardless of brand.

Never once had a scope slip in probably 20ish Spuhr mounts I’ve installed over the years for myself and friends, and never used rosin on any of them... but I don’t doubt it can happen.

ARC rings on the other hand make things stupid simple… one screw and done, the design of the ring does all the work for you. Ted gets a cookie for that design.

Exactly! I sometimes forget that not everyone has mechanical experience nor are mechanically inclined. If you do it right, spuhr works as intended. Agreed that ARC rings make things stupid simple and with 65-inch/lbs. Of torque it ain’t going anywhere. Love his design.

Reactions: stefan73
I used this diagram and followed the instructions.... except for step G after the fact.View attachment 7457660
Shit happens when shooting 338 lapua....

Still interesting. I’d like to know the percentage of people that have had this issue following the proper steps vs those that haven’t had any issues. With that said, mine isn’t on a .338 Lapua lol!

Reactions: schmi015
I'll give spuhr credit though a Sako trg with their 44.4moa mount and a Schmidt and bender 5-25 will give you 25mils of elevation. I didn't even bother to set the zero stop cause my 100yd "zero" is 1 mil above 0 with Hornady 285's.

What is self explanatory to most may be harder for some.

Another thought - if Spuhr was the same cost as any other mount, would people use them more than others?

My favorite rings bar none:

Not that I'm nearly as accomplished as most of you but here's my take from my experience:
a) ERA-TAC Mounts - nice design that doesn't chew up rails. Torque spec for mounting on rail is on bolt
b) ADM QD Mounts - very nice adjustable design that doesn't eat up rails even if too tight
c) Vortex Precision Rings - quality ring, not overpriced - torque spec was engraved on mine
d) LaRue LT014 QD - chews up rails if not properly adjusted, actual mechanics of holding scope in are not nearly as beefy as any of the other 3. Specifically I don't like the side screws.
e) Bobro- very nice stuff IMO. Though, a bit clunky and heavy. But, doesn't chew rails.

Of the QD mounts I think ADM is probably the best design, followed by Bobro, then LaRue. I'd love to try some ERA-TAC QD's but $$$$.

Now, I usually torque my scopes at 18-20 in-lbs. Maybe I'm wrong here. I test with 2 different torque screwdrivers. So far...so good.

That said, I suck at getting the two halves to be perfectly joined without one side having slightly more space than the other side. I could fix that obviously with more patience.

Not that I'm nearly as accomplished as most of you but here's my take from my experience:
a) ERA-TAC Mounts - nice design that doesn't chew up rails. Torque spec for mounting on rail is on bolt
b) ADM QD Mounts - very nice adjustable design that doesn't eat up rails even if too tight
c) Vortex Precision Rings - quality ring, not overpriced - torque spec was engraved on mine
d) LaRue LT014 QD - chews up rails if not properly adjusted, actual mechanics of holding scope in are not nearly as beefy as any of the other 3. Specifically I don't like the side screws.
e) Bobro- very nice stuff IMO. Though, a bit clunky and heavy. But, doesn't chew rails.

Of the QD mounts I think ADM is probably the best design, followed by Bobro, then LaRue. I'd love to try some ERA-TAC QD's but $$$$.

Now, I usually torque my scopes at 18-20 in-lbs. Maybe I'm wrong here. I test with 2 different torque screwdrivers. So far...so good.

That said, I suck at getting the two halves to be perfectly joined without one side having slightly more space than the other side. I could fix that obviously with more patience.

Vortex is made by Seekins, just FYI

I have been using Seekins PMR's for many years now without an single issue. They have been EXCELLENT. I also really like the MDT one piece mount as well. Its nice, but doesnt do anything different my Seekins/Vortex PMR's dont do...

Funny, I ran my entire rifle over 2 times a few weeks ago with my suv. Unloaded everything in the driveway before backing into the garage.... My son didnt listen and take everything inside like I told him while I took a work call. I came back out and backed the car into the garage, and hit "something" or so I thought, so I pulled the car forward and hit "something" again. Sure enough, I didnt hit shit, I ran my rifle over in its drag bag my son left laying behind the car in the driveway. I thought the worst.

XLR Envy Pro JV Competition chassis, Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 APRS1 MIL, Seekins PMR rings, TL3, Bartlein barrel....... Couldnt find a single thing wrong with it, nothing bent, not a single mark on anything. I was blown away. Took it to the range the next day to see how horrible the zero was off. It stacked 5 shots dead center of POA into a .221" group. If that holds zero I dont know what else will knock it off....haha

I'd have beat my son with a rubber hose over that.

Way to take it in stride.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
What happens when your S&B slips in a spuhr mount? Well you ad rosin after the fact, but it still leaves you unhappy. Cause now you have a little gouge.
View attachment 7457587
Putting the wrong length screws in the wrong hole will produce gouging and scratches.
The screws may shank out if the halfs are not equal.

I have several QDP-4006 that get taken off the rifles after each use.
I also use them on several rifles without loosing my Zero hundreds of times.
So for my needs their system works, while we're at it I also don't like Dodge or Chrysler vehicles so there is that

Reactions: Krob95
The boy should have done his job, but ultimately that's on the driver. Distracted by a call, didn't inspect behind the car before backing. Sorry.

No disagreement there. Nevertheless, when a $5k rifle gets run over the hose is coming out.

That was in jest, by the way. I wouldn't beat my kid over a mistake, and certainly not with a rubber hose. Maybe a broom or a wooden spoon (Delpino is Italian) but not a hose.

• Haha
Reactions: candyx
It’s not overrated. And they are great supporters of SH. Some of their mounts and features were developed or improved with input from this community.

Are there alternatives? Sure. If you want them... buy them.

But don’t go putting a trash-talk headline on a great product and a great SH contributor who has been a solid citizen here for over a decade.

Whole thread needs nuking from orbit... or at least a new non S#!+posting title.

Sirhr

No disagreement there. Nevertheless, when a $5k rifle gets run over the hose is coming out.

That was in jest, by the way. I wouldn't beat my kid over a mistake, and certainly not with a rubber hose. Maybe a broom or a wooden spoon (Delpino is Italian) but not a hose.
No shit, a guy named vinnie delpino is Italian. Go figure.

Reactions: tnc
Arc and NF has been flawless in all my years, but ive had issues with other brands, even within torque spec, some scopes still had issues.

nf is the lightest unimounts that ill trust, arc is just plain bulletproof but heavy.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
For me, I enjoy the aesthetics of the Spuhr mounts and rings over any others. I like the repeatability that they offer moving scopes around (was scope poor for three rifles so it saw a lot of moving around from gun to gun). But if I’m going to run a 4K scope, what’s another 400 bucks to hold it 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I had to pick a different mounting system, it would be RRS or AADMOUNT though.

It’s not overrated. And they are great supporters of SH. Some of their mounts and features were developed or improved with input from this community.

But don’t go putting a trash-talk headline on a great product and a great SH contributor who has been a solid citizen here for over a decade.

Whole thread needs nuking from orbit... or at least a new non S#!+posting title.

Sirhr
Are we not allowed to talk about problems with products?

The thread is in the bear pit for a reason.

And you didn’t change my opinion. Lol

Your mind is made up. Nothing anybody else says will change your mind. We can tell by the words and tone of the thread title. No point attempting.

Sirhr
Agreed. He personally even helped me determine what exactly was the right mount for me. I can't speak to others experiences but for me it has been a great product.

I've got two Spuhrs, one on a 338 AXMC that gets shot every week, still holding perfect Zero as of last week. I've never had a problem with either of mine. That's about all I can say.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I've got two Spuhrs, one on a 338 AXMC that gets shot every week, still holding perfect Zero as of last week. I've never had a problem with either of mine. That's about all I can say.
Rosin?

Years back, there was a thread, which is better, sphur or ARC rings. I posted something like "sphur employees buy ARC rings". This list of ass reamings was long, including one from Mr. Sphur himself.
Today, I limit my public bashings to hornady, but christenson arms needs my attention, lol

Powdered rosin is great for scope rings or for use in your barrel vise to prevent slipping.
I know what it is. I was asking if he used it? There are many threads with scopes slipping in spuhr mounts. I have never had a scope slip in regular rings. This includes hunting wait magnums. I have a spuhr for my sako TRG and was just curious. Rosin seems like a crutch.

I know what it is. I was asking if he used it? There are many threads with scopes slipping in spuhr mounts. I have never had a scope slip in regular rings. This includes hunting wait magnums. I have a spuhr for my sako TRG and was just curious. Rosin seems like a crutch.

Is your trg a 338 lapua?

My .338LM don't need no stinking rosin.
Era-Tac (later a Near Mfg) holding a Hensoldt 3.5-26x56

Last edited:
Appreciate the thread honestly. Quasi-spuhr fanboi here as I have I think 4 of their mounts on various rigs, but also have 2 ARC one pieces as well. By no means do I have the highest/roughest firing schedule compared to others, but I also dont baby my shit. I haven't had any issues over the last 36 months of owning spuhr. Small N=4 sample however.

But I also Hadn't heard of this clamp issue until this thread and another in the optics forum popped up. From a mounting perspective, I agree with others, ARC hands down stupid easy.

It would be great to know what the failure rate % they are incurring with this issue, but understandably doubt that will become public.

Reactions: stefan73
I love ARC M10 rings ...2 screws with a high torque rating they work great

however I do love the 2 Spuhr mounts I purchased also

I also love NF rings and mounts ..... but with that being said I would buy ARC over NF at this point for the engineering aspect/quality/warranty and customer service

I have owned Nightforce Sphur, Leupold, ARC, LMT, and numerous others. When you actually torque them properly the Spuhrs are the best. They have so much more versatility than any other scope mounts on the planet.

I have owned Nightforce Sphur, Leupold, ARC, LMT, and numerous others. When you actually torque them properly the Spuhrs are the best. They have so much more versatility than any other scope mounts on the planet.

I feel like the best thing I ever did with shooting lately was to invest in a set of Fix it sticks never looking back