• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ss balls vs pins

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Guys, just cleaned my brass for the first time using ss pins. I must say it was a pain in the ass separating...

Was thinking of using ss balls from bb's or what not.. Couldn't find much objective research for the pros and cons. Was wondering if someone had advice or could point me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure that the balls would get in the primer pockets very well but might be worth a shot. Let us know how it works.
Are you not using a separator? I don't find it that bad using a separator.

I've used the media separator that came with my STM kit without issue. First, I pour out most of the dirty water in tumbler. Fill the media separator about 3/4 full with water. Pour brass, ss pins and remaining dirty water into the media separator and give it about 15 turns clockwise and 15 turns counterclockwise. Dump brass into homemade drying rack. Dump water out of media separator and pour ss pins back into tumbler.

SS balls are round and round things don’t get into tight corners like the primer pockets. The sharp edge of the SS pins also are useful to rub the carbon that has been soften by the water. I also think that if you think separating pins are a pain, separating the balls will be more painful unless you can come up with so idea that makes it easier.

You have a severe misunderstanding of one of the fundamental characteristics of wet tumbling.

Actually, you are incorrect. My shooting partner and I do all of our tumbling in a cement mixer. We use pins in a sealed 5 gal bucket with dawn and citrus acid. This system is very effective. In an hour we can clean 1000 cases, all done outside. We run a separator. I don't see balls being very effective and was offering an alternative.

My biggest PITA is getting the pins stuck in the necks of 6.5s out. All other calibers are either too small or large to get the pins stuck. A separator of some sort is a must though. Saves a lot of time dumping individual cases out.

L

Well for y situation, I'm not using s media separator like the ez tumbler or a magnet.
I dump it into distiller water and ended up using a sieve and picking up my brass by hand, shaking the pins out.

My concern isn't too much for the primer pocket as much because I have a primer pocket cleaner on my trim station.

But I figured balls would be hell a lot easier as it should roll out of my brass without getting stuck like some pins would.

I cleaned 550 pieces of 260
Last night...I grabbed a handful each time to shake out the pins and inspect with a headlamp on.

My biggest PITA is getting the pins stuck in the necks of 6.5s out. All other calibers are either too small or large to get the pins stuck. A separator of some sort is a must though. Saves a lot of time dumping individual cases out.

L

Layton are you resizing your cases before you tumble ?
I gave that a go a few times and once you resize the cases and try to wet tumble with the SS media it will definitely get stuck in the neck to the point that you have about 25-30 in 100 cases that you have to punch them loose.

So its a no go for that process. Went back to cleaning before sizing and I don't get any stuck in the neck.
As for getting the media out I drain the tumbler, dump the brass in the media separator with no water in the bucket and spin about 10 revolutions both ways.
Haven't had any left after that.

I do prime on the progressive and make sure that I have a Lee decapping die in the first station to make sure I don't have any media from tumbling the lube off or any pins from the SS media stuck in the flash hole just to be safe. Keeps you from visually having to check every one.

Well for y situation, I'm not using s media separator like the ez tumbler or a magnet.
I dump it into distiller water and ended up using a sieve and picking up my brass by hand, shaking the pins out.

My concern isn't too much for the primer pocket as much because I have a primer pocket cleaner on my trim station.

But I figured balls would be hell a lot easier as it should roll out of my brass without getting stuck like some pins would.

I cleaned 550 pieces of 260
Last night...I grabbed a handful each time to shake out the pins and inspect with a headlamp on.

OK, I see where you are getting to. I do the same method which is to shake the pins out underwater. The steel balls would likely come out easier unless they happen to “bridge” at the shoulder area. Don’t know if that would happen since I have not used it.

Based on my experience I feel like even if a magnet or media separator was used, you still HAVE TO check each case by
The handful to make sure theres no pins stuck inside.

I think I will consider a magnet just to help collect pins easier but ultimately want to move to some type of ss balls for ease, especially in a sieve since the pins slip through.

Now my best question is.. Does anyone know where I can get true as balls or bb's? Google points to many bb's but they're not true ss and copper coated or whatnot so rust will be a factor.

There are steel bb's but I read those are problematic as well. And the only work around I found so far was for people with shotguns.. Use the bb's once for cleaning then load into buckshot. I'm looking for repeatable lasting results

Run the wet with Dawn and citric acid, de-prime the dry tumble to do final cleanup. The pins polish and will cleanup primer pockets, the dry tumble can do that too.. Its a second step but would be easier.

Based on my experience I feel like even if a magnet or media separator was used, you still HAVE TO check each case by
The handful to make sure theres no pins stuck inside.

I think I will consider a magnet just to help collect pins easier but ultimately want to move to some type of ss balls for ease, especially in a sieve since the pins slip through.
+1. This is exactly my own experience. Some people only do the media separator with bottleneck brass - that's risky. You won't get a KB if a pin gets into your barrel but apparently the bullet smears it on to your barrel which is not exactly what I want for a precision barrel.

I think someone just needs To invent ss bb's of various siZes and sell to shooters 110% above value...
Shit will sell. ...

Patent pending

Have you looked into ball bearings? I would think that stuff would be SS and very tight in terms of sizing.

I haven't I shall google it up. I hope it comes in bulk at a fair price..

My worry would be like how I went to the craft store to look at ss bb size material and found a small (like 20) bb's made out of metal to act as spacers for girls making bracelets and that shit was 4.99..... I'd need like 200 dollars to make it effective.

I haven't I shall google it up. I hope it comes in bulk at a fair price..

My worry would be like how I went to the craft store to look at ss bb size material and found a small (like 20) bb's made out of metal to act as spacers for girls making bracelets and that shit was 4.99..... I'd need like 200 dollars to make it effective.

Doubtful. Pins are manufactured by taking extruded rod and cutting it. Manufacturing of ball bearings is more expensive.

It is certainly not going to be cheap like BBs....

Guys, you can buy SS tumbling media in a ball form by looking into industrial suppliers such as this one:
Kramer Industries Stainless Steel

Note that 5 lbs. is $229 and 10 lbs. is $399.

We tumble all our products in either plastic or SS steel media and buy it 250 lbs at a time. (Not firearm related)

Just a word of caution if you decide to use SS balls. The shape of the balls will likely serve to work harden the brass as that is one reason mfgrs use ball or ball-cone media. Be sure you check your brass for hardening and make sure that you do any neck annealing after you tumble. Work hardening of your brass can be your enemy if you are not aware of doing it.

I use an STM seperator. I always recover almost every single pin. I've never had pins stock in the primer hole.

I took a look for you - the key to getting a reasonable price ball bearings is to look under "utility grade" ball bearings.

My experience exactly. I tumble for 2 hours after recapping. I use Dawn and LimiShine. Looks like new. I lube and resize and tumble for another hour to remove lube. Ready to prime. I have tumbled almost 20,000 rounds over the last 6 weeks and pin separation takes 15 seconds and have not had any problems with retained pins. What size pins are you using that are getting stuck in the necks?

I use an STM seperator. I always recover almost every single pin. I've never had pins stock in the primer hole.

I used 17cal copper washed steel BB's one time just to try it out, it did everything really well except the internal corners of the primer pockets and the root of the extractor groove.

Cleanup afterwards was definitely faster, the rest of the case was just as clean and I was happy with it. It wasn't enough of an improvement that I wanted to buy 5lb of SS balls that size but it is much easier to get the brass out without trapping media.