• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The STM media works the exact same as Mark or Terry's stuff. Tried them both. </div></div>

Are you and STM the same person? STMs website phone number says they are located in Utah and so are you. And from the video, it's pretty much a carbon copy of what has been posted on the Hide.

No we're not the same person. It is a good friend and I'm sure he'll make a post about details here soon.

This is my first posting on this forum, and it is informative!
I just happen to come across this forum and topic and have been reading all of the info.
I sent the P.M., now to wait for his reply!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first posting on this forum, and it is informative!
I just happen to come across this forum and topic and have been reading all of the info.
I sent the P.M., now to wait for his reply! </div></div>

Pm sent!

Terry

thats how it starts.....

first they tempt you with "free" information......

next thing you know you will be turning over your ATM card with your PIN.....

Chiller, you forgot to tell them about the security applications that need to be adhered to on a need to know basis.
To put it simply if your wife doesn't need to know what you buy then act accordingly ! ! ! !
Like when they see you pick up a bottle of Ivory at grocery store that can lead to assumptions on their part that is not beneficial for your part haha.
What they don't know won't hurt you ! ! !

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but can you use the SS media in a vibratory tumbler?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chiller, you forgot to tell them about the security applications that need to be adhered to on a need to know basis.
To put it simply if your wife doesn't need to know what you buy then act accordingly ! ! ! !
Like when they see you pick up a bottle of Ivory at grocery store that can lead to assumptions on their part that is not beneficial for your part haha.
What they don't know won't hurt you ! ! !
</div></div>

Between Dawn and Lemishine she thinks I can do no wrong.....(if she only knew).....

I Am using the model b high speed. 4 hour tumble for pistol and 5
hour tumble for rifle. Anybody else having problems getting rifle brass as clean as there
pistol brass?

I am using 2 tablespoons of dawn and 1 tablespoon of Lemishine
pistol brass turns our awesome inside and out.

The rifle brass I am tumbling is 08 LC longe range and the
inside is a mirror finish but the outside is not as shiny???

Thanks Mudcat. Damn, now I have to purchase more stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Am using the model b high speed. 4 hour tumble for pistol and 5
hour tumble for rifle. Anybody else having problems getting rifle brass as clean as there
pistol brass?

inside is a mirror finish but the outside is not as shiny??? </div></div>

Try cutting back on the tumble time! I am down to 2-3hrs for rifle and pistol brass. This depends on how dirty they are. Also, 1TBSP of Lemishine is about twice as much as you need. Cut that back to a 9mm case of 40 S&W case full of the magic powder.

Terry

Poll results as of 7/13/2010 9:30pm EST

7-13-10polls.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I Am using the model b high speed. 4 hour tumble for pistol and 5
pistol brass?

inside is a mirror finish but the outside is not as shiny??? </div></div>

I backed off the Lemishine and did a 3 hour tumble.
Looked much better.

Try cutting back on the tumble time! I am down to 2-3hrs for rifle and pistol brass. This depends on how dirty they are. Also, 1TBSP of Lemishine is about twice as much as you need. Cut that back to a 9mm case of 40 S&W case full of the magic powder.

Terry

Poll results as of 7/13/2010 9:30pm EST

7-13-10polls.jpg

</div></div>

So backing off helped you?

Every once in awhile I just run the media by itself. Kind of a cleaning cycle for the media.

Maybe do that to get some of the carbon that may have bonded to your media.

Terry

Yes backing off did help. Now I just need to finish my drying box
because I am getting water spots. Does that mean they are
not thouroughly rinsed?

I towel dry them off as much as I can prior to putting them into the dryer box. I also shake as much water out of the cases as I can. I put them on a big beach towel and roll them back and forth in it and grab them up like a little baggy and shake them prior to dumping them into the dryer box.

My brass does not have water spots. Never did.

Are you drying them off as much as you can in a towel?

Do you have extremely hard water???

Terry

Did not put that much work into them Terry. Basically just cranked the
handle on my seperator about 5 tes and shook off by hand. Yes I have
hard water but I also have a water softener. They are just little spots
but the rest of the brass looks so good it stands out. All will be fine I have
just been so busy I have not been able to take a few extra steps.

Thanks Frank

This stuff worked so well, I decided I'd try tumbling a second batch of brass without changing the water. Nor did I add more soap or Lemishine. I know it's not the prescribed method but I wanted to see just how good the stuff was.

So this shows how grimy the water was after the first batch:

dirtytumbling1.jpg

Notice how quickly the chromed wrench disappears.

Here's the brass after:

cleanbrass.jpg

It's thoroughly cleaned but it's not highly polished. So you can economize and run two batches of brass on one bucket of juice ...provided you're not fussy about your cleaned brass having that antique look.

I couldn't find the double-strainer colander from the French store (<span style="font-style: italic">Tarzhay</span>) mentioned in an earlier post so I bought a "double" strainer that had the smallest grid of anything on the shelves that day. It wasn't quite small enough so some of my media escaped into the yard when I poured off the water. I was getting frustrated trying to fish the individual pieces out of the grass, then I had an idea. I grabbed the rare earth magnet I use to conceal a pistol beneath a counter and waved it over the grass. <span style="font-style: italic">Bada-bing</span>, worked like a champ:

magneth.jpg

Showed a few guys my 308win brass I tumbled and they are
hooked. They want me to send them the links so they can get
started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this works 1/2 as well as everybody says i'll need a 50lb tumbler. </div></div>

Look at pg 6 of this thread! Someone converted a old dryer into a brass tumlber!

Terry

Also, lots of guys in TX that have converted to the Stainless method.

Trucker PM sent for contact info!

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">Finally decided to go for the SS Media. WOW - It is truly an outstanding cleaning tool/process. Here's a pic of my first run 6.5x284 Lapua brass:
4 hours new/clean walnut w/Dillon polish Left vs. new SS media w/Lemi-Shine Right
Mediatest1.jpg

Mediatest2.jpg

Mediatest3.jpg

I'm a new SS Media convert!!!
I can see why you could get addicted to the clean machine.</span></span></span>

How long did you let the Ss media run?

Thanks for posting your results and picts.

Terry

Read wwbrown response
http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum/index.php/topic,3747637.0.html

I think peoples minds read into the process too much, I can understand the lip of the neck peening over, but the whole work hardening of the entire case is silly, I have spent a good amount of time is goofy positions flat peening aircraft stuff, its not a fast process at all

I agree! There is no way in hell that tumbling brass in water, and SS Media that the cases will work harden. You could tumble the brass for a week straight and not induce the work hardening you get from one firing of it or one full length sizing.

Peening? Have not had any issues with that, and I have several custom chambers that are tight.

I believe that Mark has extremely tight chambers on his rifles with his own custom reamers. He has not had any issues of case mouth peening stopping the rounds from chambering.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HM Spike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who sells The Stainless Steel Media that easily flows out of .223 cases???? </div></div>

PM's have been sent to all that have requested!

Terry

I just did a mixed batch of .223 and .204 and it didn't stick in either.

Dobbsie:

You still running two batches per load? or was that a experiment?

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dobbsie:

You still running two batches per load? or was that a experiment?

Terry </div></div>
Lord, no. I like the twinkly brass too much. That was just a <span style="font-style: italic">"what if?"</span> experiment.

I just got in my Thumbler's tumbler but my motor say's 1550RPM
Opinion's please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got in my Thumbler's tumbler but my motor say's 1550RPM
Opinion's please? </div></div>
The Heavy Duty Model B's motor's label reads 1.12A 1/30HP 3000rpm.

Zuke:

I have both motors and they both get the job done. Nothing to panic over. The HS motor will get you there faster, but if you presoak with the mixture you should be in the 2-3hr tumble range.

If you want to later. Thumlers sells the HS motor for $58 I believe. Keep the low speed for a back for the Grandchildren. LOL

Terry

I know there are a lot of great testimonials about this stuff from a "clean" standpoint and there is no denying it. I was really considering taking the leap but when I went out to the video of this stuff in action I was blown away by the impact the brass appeard to be having as it was thrown around in the thumbler.
I have no testing to validate it but i know that the impact the brass is seeing against itself, the media is significantly more than that of a standard vibratory thumbler.
I also know that this process has to be changing the morphology of the brass surface. How and if this will effect the brass long term i cannot say but i would have to do some metallurgical analyses of the brass before I would jump on the bandwagon.

Please dont flame me for giving my opinion, i just wanted to add my two cents..

skinnypitt, you could be correct. On the other hand, many of these guys have been at this for a pretty good length of time without any trouble. I've only been using the method since May and had an Ultra Sonic before that. There is no comparison of the two IMHO.

I haven't seen the video to which you refer, so I can't attest to it, but I have used the media enough to feel confident in the process. One can influence the entire process by how much water, brass, and ss media is being used so that any slamming and banging effects which concern you can be minimized by leaving less empty space in the tumbler.

I've deliberately reloaded some of the same cases over 10 times to see if I could see anyway that the ss media is damaging to the process. I have seen no problems, but I do anneal after three reloads, but only to eliminate the work-hardening from firing and sizing.

I'll never go back, and the few cases which get a couple of media stuck in the flasholes are easily cleared.

Skinnypitt, I have seen the video you are reffering to.If you think the drum is turning too fast I would reccommend the low speed tumbler. The drum will spin 1/2 as fast as the high speed model. I use the low speed model( because that was the one I had) and it gives the same reasults as the high speed model in the same amount of time. Im not flaming you, just offering a suggestion.

Shooters have been using Thumblers tumblers for many years with walnut or corn cobb cleaning media and have not complained about brass damage. I have been reloading for about 15 years. I have tried walnut, corn cobb, treated media, chemical cleaning and stainless is by far the best method I have ever tried.

Thanks Terry and Mark for making this method available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got in my Thumbler's tumbler but my motor say's 1550RPM
Opinion's please? </div></div>

Between the two High Speed works better for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...i know that the impact the brass is seeing against itself, the media is significantly more than that of a standard vibratory thumbler....</div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">Significantly</span> more, eh? I'm curious to know what data you used to arrive at that conclusion. Do you know force of impact of media against brass in a vibrator? Or the cumulative number of impacts per square inch in a typical tumbling session? Or the mass of a single piece of the steel media? Or the viscosity of water with Dawn and Lemi-Shine added? Or the inner diameter of a Thumler's drum? Seems to me you'd have to know those things at at a minimum to have any scientific basis for arriving at that conclusion.

Or are you just guessing?

I know there is a lot of debate on weather the media will harm your brass or work harden it. I have not seen any sign of this, as well as the other shooters that are using this process. Other wise they would not be using it. There is plenty of high power shooters using that it has been tested a lot. I promise you this. That your brass will need to be replaced from shooting, and resizing, long before the media could do any harm. I know it is not the most scientific way to test. But I have a new 7wsm case that was weighed before any tumbling. Its has had over 100 tumbles on it now. The weight has not changed.

I feel that in order for the brass to be worked hardened. Well it needs to be worked first. Stress needs to be applied to the brass for it to change. Tumbling it in water, and rubber lined drum will not do this. If tumbling it really did harden the brass. Then the manufactures need to start shipping the brass in padded boxes. I am sure it bounces, and bangs around it the plastic bags that the manufacture ships it in. JMHO

Point is....Its a great and easy way to clean your brass, and those of us that use it. LOVE IT!

Skinny I have seen a lot of posts where people think that there is some kind of sand blast effect with this method of tumbling. I weighed a piece of media it was .7 grain or 1 ten thousanths of a pound. I use a model B tumbler with a 5 inch barrel. Since it moves in a slurry inside the barrel you cant say it hits with the impact of 1/10000 lb falling 5 inches. When I open the barrel I see a pretty homogeneous mixture of brass and steel. Several people have put pieces of brass through many cycles and have not been able to measure any difference in weight. It is the the best method I have used in 30 plus years of reloading bar none.

That is definitely more to think about. If you guys have run brass through ten times with no blow outs or ups that is a good sign.
rasp65, I never figured there would be any actual weight loss but that is a good analytical way of looking at it.
My feeling was that the metal was changing probably from a density and crystalization standpoint.
I wish I had the instrumentation to do that testing but my lab only tests for plastics so i dont have equipment specifically for that.

I can tell yall as a matter of fact that this method does not work harden the brass, I checked the brass before and after tumbling in SS with a Rockwell Hardness tester. Someone I trust told me that a little carbon in the necks is a goodthing, and by removing it I should lube the necks with something to aid bullet release, I read on 6mmbr.com that JB1000r lubes his necks after ultrasonic cleaning for the same reasons, is anybody else lubing there necks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lube with graphite powder before seating. Here is what I use http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33148/Product/Imperial_Application_Media I do think you get smoother seating using this. </div></div>

Have you chronoed any of the rounds to see if there is a difference
with lube or not?