• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Don't know if I'm just being anal but I tried a pre-tumble sizing lube removal with a squirt of dawn and some hot tap water. I thought by lowering the amount of paraffin lube in the mix I might get a better clean/longer luster.

I second the motion of sticking with Terry and Mark for our SS needs. Talked with Mark for about an hour after placing my order...very knowledgeable person. Dance with the one that brung ya, is what ole Dad alway said. AG in NC

Thanks for your post Terry. That's about the same results that I got with the 910 soap. I had to do a little longer tumble time, and added Lemi Shine on one batch to get the same results as the Ivory/Dawn mix. The 910 soap did make the media/brass feel "slicker". If that's a word:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOSTIL1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some .308 I did the other day.

P1010313-1.jpg
</div></div>

how many batch to get to this many 308 cases?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents,

I had been thinking about building a Dryer like Terry uses but I just didn't want to sacrifice an Ammo can. So I headed down to my local Ace Hardware and came up with this,

I found a small Galvanized 6 Gallon trash bucket that comes with a pretty tight fitting lid. It is approx. 13" across the top and has a pretty stout bail,
100_0609.jpg

Next, I needed a lamp, fan, and I thought that I would try a Halogen Bulb. So I picked up a 50 watt.
100_0610.jpg

100_0617.jpg

Lastly, a 1'X 2' piece of 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth. Eight 1/2" "L" brackets, sixteen 1/4-24 X 1/2" stainless screws with lock nuts. After a couple of hours and a few beers....
100_0612.jpg

100_0613.jpg

100_0616.jpg

100_0614.jpg

100_0615.jpg

I ran the dryer for six hours and it ran at a very consistent 122 degrees,
100_0607.jpg

I am hoping that this temp. will be adequate. But I may experiment with a higher wattage bulb. The dryer has a pretty large surface area. The hardware cloth sits down inside the pail about 4 1/2" and at that depth the diameter is 12". I figure it will easily hold 250 .223 cases as the lid is also domed. I plan on giving it a go tomorrow. I just need some Lemishine. Ace wasn't the place for that....

</div></div>

If you are going to go, you might as well go big.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey....For those of you that want to GO Bigger!

Found these for some serious tumbling.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/Rotary-Tumblers/Tumblers/Abrasives/s0000000218.HTML </div></div>

I think I would go to Lowe's, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight to get a plastic concrete mixer.

I do have a question.

Those of us that have been doing it for a while. have you ever got a few yellow cylinder shapes out of the mix?

They are brittle like a large powder kernel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pichers please!!!!

How ya been!!

Terry </div></div>

Been doing ok and yourself?

Will see if I can come up with some photos.

Sorry,, that's my .223 batch. About 300 cases. The most .308 I've done is 200 but I had room for more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbohardtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOSTIL1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some .308 I did the other day.

P1010313-1.jpg
</div></div>

how many batch to get to this many 308 cases? </div></div>

I just mailed Mark a MO for some media. I'm gonna run all my .50BMG brass through it when it gets here. I was trying to describe the difference in cleanliness to a fellow shooter, and failed. He didn't believe that the result would be like virgin brass.

Give him the link to the two threads. When I first posted how I cleaned my brass in the " Media for Tumbling" thread over a year ago, there was lots of guys skeptical. Now most of those guys are using it as the only means to clean their brass.

I guess seeing is believing! Guys from almost every different forum have come to the Hide to find out and get their fix.

He will see when your up and running! You should get 20lbs plus just to sell to your shooting buddies when they see it!

Terry

Terry

The only time I use my usual corn cob process is to clean up the loaded rounds after it's all been loaded. Between the SS media and an hour in the tumbler after loading I end up with gleaming reloads that most people attribute to factory ammo when they see it.

I still use a Harbor Freight Vibratory to clean sizing lube off! Corn cob and a little citrus cleaner sprayed in the mix.

15 minutes and they are good to go.

other than that I use SS media the whole way.

Terry

Terry,
Thanks for getting this thread going. I purchased a used thumbler today, that needs a belt, I am excited to find out just how clean the brass can get.
I just purchased the 5 lb pack of media, as well as the rotary bucket style media seperator from your source. I have been using walnut media and my "gold pan seperator" for years, and I am tired of the dust and mess.
I will post pictures when I get my first load done.
SScott

My dryer - one hour build time, cost next to nothing; used parts lying the around the cave.
Parts list: 1 5 gallon plastic bucket; 12x 2 inch bolts with nuts and washers; one lamp socket; one axial muffin fan; 4 shortened .223 cases (cut off at shoulder for use as spacers for fan); decorative aluminum screening; electrical cord; plug.
Tools needed, heavy duty scissors, drill bits, screw driver, rubber mallet; pliers; beverage.

- start off by drilling some 3/4 inch holes at bottom of bucket, twice as many 1/4 inch holes along top edge for ventilation.
- mark a line around the bucket about 3 to 4 below rim. along this line drill 8 holes for the 2 inch bolts spaced around the bucket at n, ne, e, se, s, sw, w, nw compass points.
- drill a hole to accept lamp socket about 4 inches above the bottom of the bucket.
- drill 4 holes on bottom that match mounting holes on fan.
- now install fan on bottom, used .223 shells as spacer to create air gap for fan. air flow was upward over light bulb.
- insert lamp socket and wire up fan and cord
- insert and tighten down the 8 bolts that will form support for screen material.
- cut screen material to it slightly larger thatn top of bucket and use pliers and rubber mallet to form lip and size to bucket wher bolts are.

and voila you are ready to go. cost out of pocket today - nothing. used but the parts laying about.

here are the photos:
ShellDryer

Pics of shell cleaning after a day of black powder shooting.
It took 4 hours of tumbling with SS media, a 9mm shell full of Lemishine, and a squirt of palmolive to get clean shells. The water was foul but he shells were squeaky clean and shiny.
smile.gif

in the old days (pre-SS media) 4 hours in a vibrating tumbler with walnut shell and polish equals the middle shell. would take over 12 hours to get like new shells after using black powder.

Here are the photos:

SSMediaCleaningResultsForBlackPowder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have a question.

Those of us that have been doing it for a while. have you ever got a few yellow cylinder shapes out of the mix?

They are brittle like a large powder kernel</div></div>

Geeze Chiller, Only thing I could think of would be a bit of brass from the primer hole punch operation. Perhaps something like a dangling chad. I dunno, just theorizing. Or maybe something from a neck reaming operation?

Where can I get some of this tumbling media and how much is it?

Ive been seeing this long enough now its my time to buy this setup.

Thanks for the help!

In response to Suasponte latest poll numbers, can those people who voted " no" post some pictures of your ultra sonic cleaned brass and the method you use?

Thanks.

Anyone try any sort of polish additive to the stainless media? Like brasso, or carwax type polish like you would use in a regular corncob media based application??

Really don't think polish is going to work too well in water with dish washing soap and lemishine. I just dry mine with a big towel and then set them up with the case mouth down and let them air dry inside. They don't need anymore shine in my opinion, but that's just me.

Mine come out shiny most of the time, but sometimes they come out dull. havent figured out the difference yet as I use the same dish soap and lemishine each time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone try any sort of polish additive to the stainless media? Like brasso, or carwax type polish like you would use in a regular corncob media based application??
</div></div> I would not use Brasso on any brass! It has ammonia in it. Car wax and water really don't mix.

I have found that if you tumble a lot of loads, and don't really flush out the dirt water, and soap good. That it can have an affect on the next batch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine come out shiny most of the time, but sometimes they come out dull. havent figured out the difference yet as I use the same dish soap and lemishine each time. </div></div>

Make sure you rinse your media well after each batch. If you do not do so the carbon will adhere to the media then give you a gun metal colored batch of brass. If for some reason I have that happen I run the media by itself for a cleaing cycle! Let it go for one to two hours and rinse it well.

Poll on 8/29/2010 @ 10:00pm ESt

8-29-10poll.jpg

Terry

Thanks to Mark and Suasponte I now have the SS media. That was the easy part. The tough part now seems to be getting the Thumler's Tumbler. I placed an order with Buffalo Arms, But they are out of stock and unsure as to when they will have them again.

Cabela's website shows their having one in stock, but indicates that it is rated at 30 rpm (drum) as opposed to 40 rpm (drum) on the one advertised at Buffalo Arms. Interestingly both have motors rated at 1/30 hp and 3000 rpm. I suppose the sprockets used could make the difference in drum speed. I'll have to keep looking for one of the 40 rpm models in stock somewhere.

It seems that this forum has increased Thumler's popularity and sales. No rest in sight yet for my three (3) vibratory cleaners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> check this site!

Terry </div></div>
I think that's the "regular" model but it is $11.50 cheaper than the sho nuff HD from Buffalo Arms.

I really do not see any differnece in my brass between the two motors. I load both drums at the same time a unload them at the same time and you could not tell which was tumbled in the high speed.

Terry

try the hobbywarehouse.com that I posted about earlier in the thread. Good price and usually in stock. get whatever motor one you can fine as the slow motor does the same job, just slower spinning but I just spin my brass till clean...easy.

Thanks for the help guys. What I don't grasp is that I see reference to only two motors; one rated at 1550 rpm and another at 3000 rpm and 1/30 hp. Easy so far.

And yet, even though the Cabela's model and the Buffalo Arms model seem to share the same motor rated at 1/3 hp and 3000 rpm motor speed, one is rated at 30 rpm and the other 40 rpm drum speed. It seems that if there is not a misprint, the slower model(Cabela's) has a different pulley arrangement.

How many variations of the same the same theme does Thumlers make? I'll keep looking in to it as I would prefer the faster drum speed.

THX!

Got these picuters from a SS media convert. He said that they was on a old WWII range, and picked them out of the red clay. Decided to see just how good they would come out using the SS media, Ivory Soap, and Lemi shine mix in the Model "B".

They were tumbled in four different washes for 38 hours. The first three came out black and the last wash water came out GREEN ! ! ! 5.56 cases were tumbled in same batch and did not show the same surface deterioration as the 06 and carbine brass.

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00841.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine come out shiny most of the time, but sometimes they come out dull. havent figured out the difference yet as I use the same dish soap and lemishine each time. </div></div>

My experience is that if you reuse the liquid (dirty) the brass becomes cloudy. Fresh liquid results in shiny bright brass every time.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!
And man did it have a golden hue to it, or was that brass?
I ran my first batch today for 4 hour's and wasn't prepared for that level of brightness.
I'm a convert and will spread the word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine come out shiny most of the time, but sometimes they come out dull. havent figured out the difference yet as I use the same dish soap and lemishine each time. </div></div>

Make sure you rinse your media well after each batch. If you do not do so the carbon will adhere to the media then give you a gun metal colored batch of brass. If for some reason I have that happen I run the media by itself for a cleaing cycle! Let it go for one to two hours and rinse it well.

8-29-10poll.jpg

Terry </div></div>

would still like to understand the 17% and waht they are seeing....

I like this system the best, it's fast simple and most of all easy, the results speak for themselves

Here's my result's with 4 hrs tumble time,hot water,.40 cal case of lemmeshine and a good squirt of dove.
DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

Some mighty fine looking brass Zuke! Thanks for posting photos!

I still get amazed after 3-4 years of doing this how they come out! Lots of PM's and guys that keep telling me how they are amazed!

I got a buddy that works in a lab at Univ of Pittsburgh. Going to give him a bottle of the black water and have him run traces on it just to see what the numbers are.

Hopefully post some results soon!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine come out shiny most of the time, but sometimes they come out dull. havent figured out the difference yet as I use the same dish soap and lemishine each time. </div></div>

8-29-10poll.jpg

Terry </div></div>

would still like to understand the 17% and waht they are seeing.... </div></div>

Probably not what they are seeing that matters..but what they are doing wrong. If you do this right, I cant imagine how you would get cleaner brass! And yes, I have an ultrasonic!

Can't see how you could F*@$ this up!

Water, Soap, Media, brass, & Lemi shine! 4 hours and Viola, clean brass!

I have one buddy that is still using Lyman Tuff nut with the freaking red rouge! He has seen me run brass and how it comes out! Still use the red powder walnut!

I used ultrasonic for 2-3 years with citranox. Results are great no doubt! However, it does not compare to SS media IMHO!

Terry

Just ran my first batch of 308 LC through the SS media, and I have to say the investment of the rotary and the media is already paying dividends. Very impressed with how clean the pockets and the internals are. Also there was no appreciable difference in case weight before and after to .001 gr.

I ran a batch of once fired 9mm and was amazed to see not only thr primer pocket's cleaned but ALL the black case sealant was also removed.
I think I'll be selling my Lyman tumbler in the future.

I think I want to give this a try. I do have a question about the tumbler, though. I read through about 5 pages before hopping to the end. Sorry if this was in some of the missed pages.

Anyway, I have an OLD thumlers, maybe 25-30 years old. Still runs like a champ, but it's not the high speed model I'm sure. Can I assume it'll work, just take a little longer?

Terry, please PM me the contact information for the source of this stuff.

Thanks,
-Slice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomeSlice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Anyway, I have an OLD thumlers, maybe 25-30 years old. Still runs like a champ, but it's not the high speed model I'm sure. Can I assume it'll work, just take a little longer?
Thanks,
-Slice
</div></div>

Yup, that should be the case. Just use what you have. Slow, fast, doesnt matter, it will get clean.....VERY clean!