• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

I am currently out of town on business. I will try to get to my pm's on saturday. I have limited access to the computer and the www. Terry

Back in town!

Pm's have bend responded to!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...I got a buddy that works in a lab at Univ of Pittsburgh. Going to give him a bottle of the black water and have him run traces on it just to see what the numbers are.

Terry </div></div>

Most of the "black" we see in solution is iron from the stainless steel pins interacting with themselves. What happens is the protective oxide layer on the pins is burnished off exposing the iron which ends up in solution under the same process.

2 Tablespoons of simple green per gallon of water will almost completely stop the black from showing up. You're left with just the powder residues in solution. Why simple green works is beyond me. I've tried many other chemicals and only simple green has this effect.

Add the Simple green to the normal Lemishine/soap mix.

Eric

Got my first batch done...

Ive never used ultra sonic, but I can say with 110% certainty that I feel sorry for whoever still uses walnut/corncob/other caveman media and is too stubborn to switch for whatever reason.

I just sat there and looked at the clean cases for like 20 mins because it was unbelievable how clean and new looking they were.

New poll results as of 9-11-2010 @ 1:00pm EST

9-11-10poll.jpg

Terry

Hey terry how do you separate the water from the media and brass?

My method was to wrap a tshirt arond the drum and use it as a filter for the other stuff... water drains out and media stays in. any better ways?

I have been using a plastic tub that I drilled a bunch of holes smaller than the media diameter.

I also use a rotary case seperator that I fill with water and rotate the brass.

Look at the old media for tumbling thread!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF9AMv-1V4s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jF9AMv-1V4s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rZmiSCE5W0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rZmiSCE5W0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry

Personally I pour off as much water as possible without loosing anything and fill it up again.I do that 4-6 time's in total.
When it's pretty clear I use a dollar store strainer and in a bucket and stir it around 30 time's. At 30 99.9% of the pin's have dropped thru then do it again. That's for pistol.
For bottleneck's I do it all under water so the pin's move more freely and slide out.
I have a batch of black .40cal's running now,I dug them up this morning at the range and want to see how they'll clean up.
Pic's to follow.

I just use a dillon separator. Works like a charm. Also hand to have a "hand magnet" available to grab any of those pesky pcs of stainless media that flop out of the catch basin. Easy.

Hey Terry, clean out your inbox!! My cases are all coming out super shiny, but the primer pockets have been a little dirty over the last few tumbling sessions or so. I think my media is clean...

I just opened a drum with cases that have been tumbling four hours(slow motor). 99% clean which is not surprising in that these cases have probably been fired thirty times and NEVER cleaned in their history. I changed out the water and added about 20 7MM Mauser cases I shot this morning.

Oh by the way guys, spotted Limishine in KROGER. Seven feet to the right of the Ivory AND IT IS IN A DIFFERENT CONTAINER ! ! ! ! THIS ONE IS MORE WHITE. It costs more at Kroger but I think the container may hold more????? Never saw it in Kroger before. Maybe somebody on the hide is a Kroger buyer??? haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Terry, clean out your inbox!! My cases are all coming out super shiny, but the primer pockets have been a little dirty over the last few tumbling sessions or so. I think my media is clean... </div></div>

Sorry Guys! Got behind on cleaning them out! Got several the last few days.

Terry

I just did 900 LC 7.62 x 51 brass followed by 800 9mm brass, and they all came out squeaky clean inside and out. I brought some examples into work to show some fellow reloaders, and they freaked! I told them that it showed even an old dog (40+ years reloading) can learn a new trick. The SS media is da shizzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey terry how do you separate the water from the media and brass?

My method was to wrap a tshirt arond the drum and use it as a filter for the other stuff... water drains out and media stays in. any better ways?
</div></div>

I've been using the SS media method for a while now, have done thousands and thousands of cases. I have the largest Dillon media seperator and it works very well. First I dump the dirty water from the tumber being careful not to let the media or brass fall out, then rinse it with clean water, do this a few times until the water comes out clean then dump the brass/media/left over water in the Dillon media seperator.

If anyone else has been holding out for a Heavy Duty Thumlers Model B from Buffalo Arms, right now is a good time to call. They (Chris)just called me to let me know that they are moving them off the truck and into the building, and that mine(backordered) was heading to the shipping department. Chris said that they had a lot of them on backorder, and he expects them to move out quickly.

Nice folks there at Buffalo Arms. When he called, I learned that he had some much needed .45 Colt and .44 Special brass in stock and I was able to add them to the same order.

Woohoo, received my media today (thanks Terry and "media guy"
smile.gif
), now all I need is for my tumbler to come in from Buffalo. I have a metric shit ton of brass waiting...

I also picked up a clear cover from another hide member (can't recall his username) so I can watch the excitement...four hours at a time...hahaha...

Metric Shit ton = ???. 25.4 times more shit??

Got your Lemi Shine and Ivory soap?

Terry

New poll results as of 9/20/2010 @ 9:00pm EST

9-20-10poll.jpg

Suasponte,

Could you please PM seller's contact info so I can purchase some of this SS media.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know everyone loves to see the bling. Here is some more before & afters of 6 X fired brass.</div></div>
Dude, your brass is all green 'n shit.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey terry how do you separate the water from the media and brass?

</div></div>

I've been using the SS media method for a while now, have done thousands and thousands of cases. I have the largest Dillon media seperator and it works very well. First I dump the dirty water from the tumber being careful not to let the media or brass fall out, then rinse it with clean water, do this a few times until the water comes out clean then dump the brass/media/left over water in the Dillon media seperator. </div></div>

The Dillon media separator works great for me also. Get very few SS stuck in the primer pocket (I inspect every one as I blow out the remaining water).

So I did my first batch tonight...a mix of 308 and 9mm brass. Most of the brass was already clean to a certain extent. They were either once fired or already cleaned brass (using a vibratory cleaner with corn cob media).

Water, a good "squirt" of Dawn Ultra Concentrated Dishwashing Soap, a .40S&W case full of LemiShine and 5 lbs. of SS media from Terry's contact. Two hour and a half hour cycle...I was going to leave it in for the recommended three hours but since the brass was already pretty clean, I figure two and half hours was enough.

HOLY SCHNIKE BATMAN! As I was extracting the brass from the media, I had the same sensation as the Double Rainbow guy, but I didn't cry about it. I wasn't expecting a big difference but these thing came out BLINGY!

Once again, I have to thank Terry and the Media Guy and thanks to the other folks who helped out with this thread/info. We have reached the pinnacle of brass cleaning.

Close up:
brass1.jpg

The first set...I could have added another 50% more brass in the tumbler:
Brass2.jpg

Sold some fired cleaned brass to a fellow member. He thought I made a mistake and sent him new brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I did my first batch tonight...a mix of 308 and 9mm brass. Most of the brass was already clean to a certain extent. They were either once fired or already cleaned brass (using a vibratory cleaner with corn cob media).

Water, a good "squirt" of Dawn Ultra Concentrated Dishwashing Soap, a .40S&W case full of LemiShine and 5 lbs. of SS media from Terry's contact. Two hour and a half hour cycle...I was going to leave it in for the recommended three hours but since the brass was already pretty clean, I figure two and half hours was enough.

HOLY SCHNIKE BATMAN! As I was extracting the brass from the media, I had the same sensation as the Double Rainbow guy, but I didn't cry about it. I wasn't expecting a big difference but these thing came out BLINGY!

Once again, I have to thank Terry and the Media Guy and thanks to the other folks who helped out with this thread/info. We have reached the pinnacle of brass cleaning.

Close up:
brass1.jpg

The first set...I could have added another 50% more brass in the tumbler:
Brass2.jpg

</div></div>

You forgot to mention it worked so well we we decided to clean our factory loaded ammo. Just Kidding. please do not try cleaning loaded rounds!

Suasponte - J/K = just kidding. I changed my post to reflect I was joking in case someone might take it seriously.

the stuff is amazing just placed my own tumbler & media order in today with Cory.

Anyone have problems with the spindles on the Thumbler Model B spinning but the drum won't? I noticed this problem when the rubber pieces on the spindles gets wet. I wonder if anyone try some work around for this issue. BTW, the drum is not overloaded. I have 5 lbs of media with about 100 308 cases and water is added to about 2.5 below the top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy that pneumatically decapps brass! He has several holes drilled into a piece of wood in which the base of the brass just fits! Then in the middle of that hole is another hole that is just larger than the primer. He uses a conical style head with a little duct tape on it for a seal. Place the case into the wood block put the nozzle into the case and hit it with the air pressure. This method does not work too well with crimped primers.

I know this works! I watched him slam thru 100 case in about 2 minutes!

If I get a chance I will video or take some pictures of his setup!

Terry </div></div>

Any idea how many psi he's using to do that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackstone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy that pneumatically decapps brass! He has several holes drilled into a piece of wood in which the base of the brass just fits! Then in the middle of that hole is another hole that is just larger than the primer. He uses a conical style head with a little duct tape on it for a seal. Place the case into the wood block put the nozzle into the case and hit it with the air pressure. This method does not work too well with crimped primers.

Terry </div></div>

Any idea how many psi he's using to do that? </div></div>

Just think Terry......more stuff for us to learn.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbohardtop,
Check the SS media website, I think he has a video of his setup and he put grip tape around the drive side of the drum.
SScott </div></div>

Page 8 of this thread covers the grip tape! All info that is on that web page was covered in either this thread or the media for tumbling thread.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALL</span> the info that is contained on that site was obtained from these threads. Credit should be given to those who posted it. The second page of the tips page on their site was copied directly from page 2 of this thread (Post #1622891) posted by myself. However, the web site in question is in error. Figure it out!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackstone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy that pneumatically decapps brass! He has several holes drilled into a piece of wood in which the base of the brass just fits! Then in the middle of that hole is another hole that is just larger than the primer. He uses a conical style head with a little duct tape on it for a seal. Place the case into the wood block put the nozzle into the case and hit it with the air pressure. This method does not work too well with crimped primers.

Terry </div></div>

Any idea how many psi he's using to do that? </div></div>

I have no idea what he was running PSI to do so! He is currently deployed to some shit hole in the middle east. When he returns I shall follow up with him on it.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbohardtop,
Check the SS media website, I think he has a video of his setup and he put grip tape around the drive side of the drum.
SScott </div></div>

Page 8 of this thread covers the grip tape! All info that is on that web page was covered in either this thread or the media for tumbling thread.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALL</span> the info that is contained on that site was obtained from these threads. Credit should be given to those who posted it. The second page of the tips page on their site was copied directly from page 2 of this thread (Post #1622891) posted by myself. However, the web site in question is in error. Figure it out!

Terry </div></div>

Thanks Terry for everything.

Terry,
I have a question about the stainless media that I have not seen asked.
Is it really stainless? What I guess I need to know is, does it rust together in a clump after using if you don't dry the media, or can you store it in the tumbler until the next use?

Thanks,
Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crashcrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,
Is it really stainless? What I guess I need to know is, does it rust together in a clump after using if you don't dry the media, or can you store it in the tumbler until the next use?

Thanks,
Tim </div></div>
Yes it's magnetic Stainless steel.
No it wont rust at all, that's where I leave it till the next job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crashcrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry,

Thanks,
Tim </div></div>

Yes, it is Stainless! I have close to 4yrs now on my first batch. It has been in my tumbler wet for pretty close that whole period of time with no signs of rust. There are several other guys on the Hide with close to a year now, and I have not heard any of them complain of rusting.

Terry

Finally got the Model B in from Buffalo Arms and ran a few batches of brass. Having read through this thread had me well prepared with how much soap, Lemishine, water to use. Each batch came out looking great without a hitch. The results lived up to my lofty expectations. Great method!

Having said that, I can see that the tumbler itself will be a work in progress. Though the drum looks to be nearly bulletproof, the base is quite flimsy and in need of some tweaking to make it more rugged. Once the weather breaks, I'll unlimber the table saw and build a solid framework for the base and fabricate a more substantial mounting system for the motor.

Why in the world didn't Thumler design the shafts to use e-clips instead of those cheesy widgets they used? I'm a bit surprised. I have a Thumler's Ultravibe 18 that I bought back in '89. I still use it all the time often letting it run 48 or even 72 hours straight. It's like an anvil, in all that time it has never required any maintenance at all. Looking at the Model B, I doubt the new ones are built as well as my old warhorse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually when I spoke to Mr.Thumler a few weeks ago about the sleeve problem he said they would start making the new tumblers with the star washers in place on the front and rear axles. I'm wondering if you got old stock or they never did what they said. Apparently they have to assemble the rear axle by hand if they use star washers on the sleeves. Either way I know they will fix you up, they didn't even ask to send in the old axle. </div></div>

Call Thumlers, I am sure that they will take care of you!

Terry

Please PM me with the details. I would usually read through the post, but I don't have that kind of time!! Thanks-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fatelvis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please PM me with the details. I would usually read through the post, but I don't have that kind of time!! Thanks- </div></div>

What, you don't have a hour or so to read about the worlds greatest brass cleaning system! LOL!

PM Sent!

Poll results as of 9/26/2010 @ 3:30pm EST

9-26-10POLL.jpg

Terry

Both work fine. If I was ordering I would get the high speed. I have both a slow and a fast. Lube the motor with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (5W20) or so and it should last forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both work fine. If I was ordering I would get the high speed. I have both a slow and a fast. Lube the motor with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (5W20) or so and it should last forever. </div></div>

Does the motor have a lube hole, or where exactly do you apply the oil. I bought some of the lightest Mobile 1 I could find for this purpose, and expected to see a lube hole, which I didn't find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canuck4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how many 30-06 case do you usually put in your Tumbler model B </div></div>

100 is what I try to do! 150 cases max. 30-06's

Terry