• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

Re: Stainless Steel Media Testimonials

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Has ANY of the ultra sonic guy's EVER posted why they THINK their method is BETTER?
Or do they not want to admit they SHOULD have went with SS idea? </div></div>

Wow. What a loaded question.

There is a whole thread on ultrasonic in this same forum. You'll find a dozen or so reasons over there. </div></div>

Got a link handy?

so is everybody doing a wet tumble or can i use my regular tumbler?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eternal24k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is everybody doing a wet tumble or can i use my regular tumbler? </div></div>

It tell's you right here in this topic.
Take the time to read a couple page's.

Hummer - checked a decapping pin and it is .072 so don't think the .062 pins would stick in a flash hole. Friend got some "jewelers mix" stainless steel stuff from a local rock tumbler store and it has stainless balls and some .067 pins in the mix and those pins don't stick in flash holes. The little balls are the exact size to stick in small primer pockets so the "Jewelers mix" wasn't the best choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The above post tends to prove my point.

In the pursuit of beautiful polished cases, this man has found rust inside his cases so he sandblasts drums and paints liners and silicone sprays, etc. etc.

This is stuff I have never had to do, and I think my cartridges will shoot right along with beautifully polished cartridges. BB

<span style="color: #FF0000"> SUM TING WONG </span> </div></div>

You neeed to work on your reading comprehension issue there pal. I did not say that I had found rust in my cases, but you already know that. Just want to stir the pot eh?

Go back to your hole!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mistake. I understood "bases" to be cartridge case bases and <shrug> thought they were inside the case at the bottom? Excuse me.

I'm sorry for interfering in your love fest. You are right, I have zero interest in 25 miles of text about beautifying cartridge cases. Adios, Amigos! </div></div>

Enough naysayer!

If you crave more attention, hang a pork chop from around your neck and go outdoors. The neighborhood dogs will play with you. They are your friends. They understand.

Your giving that LOOSER the attention he crave's from an abbusive childhood.

Don't answer his rant's!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackstone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The above post tends to prove my point.

In the pursuit of beautiful polished cases, this man has found rust inside his cases so he sandblasts drums and paints liners and silicone sprays, etc. etc.

This is stuff I have never had to do, and I think my cartridges will shoot right along with beautifully polished cartridges. BB

<span style="color: #FF0000"> SUM TING WONG </span> </div></div>

You neeed to work on your reading comprehension issue there pal. I did not say that I had found rust in my cases, but you already know that. Just want to stir the pot eh?

Go back to your hole! </div></div>

You should change your name to Johnny come lately. The dude's last post in this thread was three weeks ago. Way to stay on top of things.

What's an especially good way to dry the brass after cleaning?

I'm currently putting the brass in the media separator and pointing a floor / carpet drying fan at it.

Seems to work -- and I found a piece of 260 brass that was jammed-full of media -- but I thought there might be a better way.

My first batch I found ~15 pieces of brass with media stuck in the case-mouth. 2nd batch maybe 3 pieces.

After the media seperator - just put it into a vibratory tumbler and run for a couple of hours. It will come out quite shiny and require only a few minutes of your time to throw it in the tumbler and seperate the media after it's through.

To dry the cases I just throw them on a towel, pat them dry and then throw them in a bucket of alcohol. Pull them out, pat dry on another towel and let air dry for about 30 mins. They dry with out any spots on them this way.
I tried putting them in the drier. It works but is more work then using the alcohol.

The floor-drying fan seems to be working reasonably well.

I was also thinking maybe something along the lines of a food dehydrator.

I think the trick though is to use a large volume of air and heat probably isn't necessary at all.
--

I think I posted it numerous pages ago, but just to confirm your idea on the food dehydrator, it works very well. I have the big square Excalibur brand. Dunk the cases in rubbing alcohol to speed drying and ensure good evaporation, shake and pat dry, then put them in the dehryator. Cases dry very quickly this way.

-Conrad

DSCI0001-5.jpg

Tried and true for many a year.

Terry

New Poll Results as of 2/13/2012 @ 7:30pm EST

2-13-12poll.jpg

Im using both and I can tell you without a doubt that the SS works way better....

Any one have a extra tumbler? burned mine out and looking for a differnt one fast

Saw this come up again. I didn't see BuzzBoss's posts before or maybe I ignored them. As far as functional benefits, I think that there are two in particular... less carbon buildup inside the case. This will rob case capacity if it goes unchecked. Ultrasonic does an ok job with this. The "dry" methods don't. The second one is cleaning out the primer pockets. Nothing gives you clean primer pockets like SS. That is going to lead to more consistent primer seating. Does it help? Can't hurt.

On the drawback side is that you have to watch it like a hawk. If you tumble for too long, you will peen the case mouth resulting in a burr. Also, if you leave the cases in the media for an extended period of time, it will discolor the cases. Unlike the dry media methods where you can leave it tumbling overnight and go about your business, you have to stick close to home during the cleaning process. This is a pretty big downer.

All-in-all, if you can manage the downside to SS media, it is the way to go.

Found a link to this on cast boolits forum. I have several buckets of range pistol brass I'd like to use this method on. Could I get contact info for getting the best ss media please?

Thanks, Arnell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boolit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found a link to this on cast boolits forum. I have several buckets of range pistol brass I'd like to use this method on. Could I get contact info for getting the best ss media please?

Thanks, Arnell </div></div>

PM sent with Mark's info

Just wanted to thank Terry and Mark first for their willingness to share this cleaning method. After almost 2 years I'm still well satisfied with the results.

Don't let some loud mouth internet hotshot keep you guys from posting in this thread. All of us have picked up many good tips from what each of you has figured out as you use this method.

Thanks to all!

Terry - I've been hearing all about the SS media / tumbling for about a year now, but didn't seriously investigate until my vibratory tumbler dies (again) the other night.

Anyway, I'm very interested in getting in contact with you for your opinion of the best source for a Thumbler 140HS as well as the SS media. Even more so since I notice that you're in Pittsburgh, as am I (Canonsburg). I wondering if we've ever crossed paths.

This is my first post on this forum, hello all!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squatumd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Terry - I've been hearing all about the SS media / tumbling for about a year now, but didn't seriously investigate until my vibratory tumbler dies (again) the other night.

Anyway, I'm very interested in getting in contact with you for your opinion of the best source for a Thumbler 140HS as well as the SS media. Even more so since I notice that you're in Pittsburgh, as am I (Canonsburg). I wondering if we've ever crossed paths.

This is my first post on this forum, hello all! </div></div>

Pm Sent! Give me a call.

Terry

Hey Terry, I've bought some of this before from you but am interested in more as I tell people about it and the obvious positive results. And a slight bit of paranoia that I'm losing some pieces with each cleaning in my apt. Can you shoot me a PM for another deal? The original has been deleted apparently, I don't frequent this site as often as I should be.
smile.gif
Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acmeraptor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Terry, I've bought some of this before from you but am interested in more as I tell people about it and the obvious positive results. And a slight bit of paranoia that I'm losing some pieces with each cleaning in my apt. Can you shoot me a PM for another deal? The original has been deleted apparently, I don't frequent this site as often as I should be.
smile.gif
Thanks! </div></div>

Pm Sent!

Terry

+1 this works really well. Drying is not an issue for me. Comes out cleaner than the factory.

#acmeraptor

I lost about a pinch of the media only because I was careless when transferring the media. Just had to pick it up and put it back in the tumbler.

"loud mouth internet hotshot" ?

That's the thanks I get? I (still) can see no advantage to polishing cases, inside and out....... and fabricating elaborate drying boxes; but don't let me rain on your parade. After all, I'm just pointing out that ultra polished brass adds nothing to performance, and 46 pages of testimonials is astounding, but I'm a shut-in with nothing better to do and the groupie attacks <span style="text-decoration: underline">hurt really, really bad</span>. lol BB

The 2 main problems are tumbling way too long (20 minutes and your pretty darn clean) which contributes to neck peening and not using enough dish soap like it says on the website.
As for drying just rinse the brass in denatured alcohol after tumbling and it dries fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw this come up again. I didn't see BuzzBoss's posts before or maybe I ignored them. As far as functional benefits, I think that there are two in particular... less carbon buildup inside the case. This will rob case capacity if it goes unchecked. Ultrasonic does an ok job with this. The "dry" methods don't. The second one is cleaning out the primer pockets. Nothing gives you clean primer pockets like SS. That is going to lead to more consistent primer seating. Does it help? Can't hurt.

On the drawback side is that you have to watch it like a hawk. If you tumble for too long, you will peen the case mouth resulting in a burr. Also, if you leave the cases in the media for an extended period of time, it will discolor the cases. Unlike the dry media methods where you can leave it tumbling overnight and go about your business, you have to stick close to home during the cleaning process. This is a pretty big downer.

All-in-all, if you can manage the downside to SS media, it is the way to go. </div></div>

Too add to your post on the positives of the SS media method.(and this may be just theory, don't know???) but it's been brought up before that the abrasiveness of dry tumbling media dust left on cases being blasted down the barrel can contribute to throat and barrel erosion.

I must admit I like having perfectly clean shiny cases inside and out even though it's mostly a cosmetic appeal. Especially from the "not" having to clean out the primer pockets perspective.

I just thought of something else. I noticed that the SS method helps polish down nicks, gouges and scratch's on cases shot from semiauto's. Makes it easier to see cracked or damaged cases also.

Yes, sometimes with traditional media it is hard to see signs of damaged cases that need to be culled out. Whether it be dust from walnut or just simply not getting it super clean, you can sometimes over look case head separation and split necks that pop out at you when the brass is super shiny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Saw this come up again. I didn't see BuzzBoss's posts before or maybe I ignored them. As far as functional benefits, I think that there are two in particular... less carbon buildup inside the case. This will rob case capacity if it goes unchecked. Ultrasonic does an ok job with this. The "dry" methods don't. The second one is cleaning out the primer pockets. Nothing gives you clean primer pockets like SS. That is going to lead to more consistent primer seating. Does it help? Can't hurt.
</div></div>

Thanks a lot! Right after these comments I will return the favor, because:

#1 less carbon buildup inside? Rob case capacity? Yeah, that's a real huge issue, reduced case capacity!

#2 clean primer pockets? They make a dandy little tool for that.

Does it help? You answer your own question. NO (but it can't hurt) Great reasons! lol BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Saw this come up again. I didn't see BuzzBoss's posts before or maybe I ignored them. As far as functional benefits, I think that there are two in particular... less carbon buildup inside the case. This will rob case capacity if it goes unchecked. Ultrasonic does an ok job with this. The "dry" methods don't. The second one is cleaning out the primer pockets. Nothing gives you clean primer pockets like SS. That is going to lead to more consistent primer seating. Does it help? Can't hurt.
</div></div>

Thanks a lot! Right after these comments I will return the favor, because:

#1 less carbon buildup inside? Rob case capacity? Yeah, that's a real huge issue, reduced case capacity!

#2 clean primer pockets? They make a dandy little tool for that.

Does it help? You answer your own question. NO (but it can't hurt) Great reasons! lol BB </div></div>

You should change your handle to BuzzBomb915 instead,LOL.

I was skeptical for a long while until the vibratory cleaner I had for many years bit the dust. Then I got a ultrasonic cleaner which I wasn't overly happy with either. So I decided to try the SS media tumbler method. for rifle brass it's advantages outweigh it's disadvantages. For pistol brass it has no disadvantages.

Let us have our nice shiny cases OK.

With my blessings. I'm just dickin' with ya. My original comment was over the two years and 46 pages about polishing brass cases? It's not THAT great, ya know what I mean? Buzzbomb

I have been using SS for about a year now and have had good luck but since I started using Ballistol as a case lube instead of the greasy Imperial stuff the results are even better and my tumbling times have been cut as the Ballistol is water based and not nearly as thick or waxy like the Imperial so the water doesn't foul as bad and doesn't leave the film on the brass after tumbling like the Imperial either.
Also in the beginning I didn't use enough Dawn soap but now put a big squirt in there and the brass comes out cleaner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: in2deep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using SS for about a year now and have had good luck but since I started using Ballistol as a case lube instead of the greasy Imperial stuff the results are even better and my tumbling times have been cut as the Ballistol is water based and not nearly as thick or waxy like the Imperial so the water doesn't foul as bad and doesn't leave the film on the brass after tumbling like the Imperial either.
Also in the beginning I didn't use enough Dawn soap but now put a big squirt in there and the brass comes out cleaner.
</div></div>

I've alway's used LEE case lube,so I know where your coming from.

+1 for STM...I am a believer now. Ordered my tumbler and media, received it 4 days later. The results are incredible. Customer service was top notch.

Even my wife is happy about my purchase...now she doesn't have to listen to the buzz of my vibratory tumbler every night.

.45 ACP Brass tumbled for 4 hours in 1 gallon of water, 5 pounds of stainless steel media, 2 tablespoons of dawn, and one 9mm case of Lemishine.

Before (just a small sample of the 200 cases I put in the tumbler)
brass_dirty_2.jpg

After
brass_clean_1.jpg

I'll try to post pics of my .223 tumbling results later on.

Can anyone share their experience as to the optimum number of .308 cases for a Mod. B? I apparently put too many in my machine last time as it started squealing and the rods got too hot to touch.

I'm sure this has been covered, but I don't want to have to go through 45 pages of thread. Thanks...

5 lbs of media
1 gallon of water (8lbs)
~ 120 pieces of .308 brass

leaves 2 lbs for brass. this is what that motor can handle.....

build a better mousetrap if you need to tumble more. I use a 3-gallon container (24 lbs) + 15 lbs of media and all the brass I can stuff in it. powered by 1/2HP motor.

I'm a believer! I made my own tumbler using some designs I found on YouTube and some other sites. Here's my results with a batch of .45 ACP. Picture says it all:

428097_382437235099847_100000007210610_1500923_1005575557_n.jpg

Homemade wet tumbler

First batch today and I'm absolutely amazed!

First, I have not read all 46 pages(read the first 12 though).

Sorry if this has been covered but,,, Has anyone gone straight from tumbling to annealing? Seem's like this would take care of the case drying issue(not that it is a big issue). This of coarse would be pointless if you drop you annealed cases in water.

I anneal then tumble for 4 hour's. After that time there's no visable differance between the annealed colour change/rainbow and non annealed brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I anneal then tumble for 4 hour's. After that time there's no visable differance between the annealed colour change/rainbow and non annealed brass. </div></div>

4 hours is way too long unless you like case trimming and resizing. This stuff works great, but too long will damage your case mouths. Real dirty brass gets some extra soap, but no more than an hour in the tumbler. Usually 20 to 30 minutes in the tumbler and a clean water rinse with a small dash of lemishine keeps my brass clean enough for me. I put a dash of lemishine into the water in my dump bucket coming out of the annealer and by the time I'm done most of the annealing marks have dissapeared, no need to retumble.

I agree with the majority here, I couldn't be happier!

My twist is, I am not really a long gun shooter. I do pistols and load 45 and 38. I got interested in SS media because I am currently fighting to get my lead levels down so I was a bit shy of the dry techniques because of their potiential dust escape and the capacity of all the other cleaning methods was small (200-500).

A huge wet tumbler is also expensive, but they are not that hard to build, just think up a way to roll a 5 gallon bucket. I can get good results with 1000-1200 45 cases in 45 minutes.

I do have one caution, the media can't be allowed to escape into a loaded round. I am currently visually checking each case after it is dry and most times find no media, but maybe 1 in 5000 cases will have a pin left in it. Be careful to get them all.

I am trying a cagelike affair made from a smaller paint bucket to act as a seperator screen. It is not perfect yet hence the 1 in 5000 media left behind, but I think it has hope. Only takes about 15-30 minutes to rinse and seperate the SS pins from the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: as408714</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
I do have one caution, the media can't be allowed to escape into a loaded round. I am currently visually checking each case after it is dry and most times find no media, but maybe 1 in 5000 cases will have a pin left in it. Be careful to get them all.

I am trying a cagelike affair made from a smaller paint bucket to act as a seperator screen. It is not perfect yet hence the 1 in 5000 media left behind, but I think it has hope. Only takes about 15-30 minutes to rinse and seperate the SS pins from the brass. </div></div>

I have been using a Frakford Arsenal separator for a while and it works great and reduces the amount of time and effort to get all the pins out of the cases. I'm still careful about checking them but it beats doing it by hand.

Nothing works better than stainless and I have tried it all. The slight case mouth peening is trimmed off when you resize and trim. You do trim every time, right?