• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starter loads for Desert tactical 308 and 338?

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I know each rifle is unique. That said, I am wanting to get a few rounds loaded for my 338 conversion that is supposed to be here next week. Can any of you guys give me some loads that have worked well for your 338 SRS? I just want to have 50 or so rounds ready to start load development when I get it. Mostly just charge weights and COAL.

This will be the first 338LM's I have loaded.

I have Lapua brass, Fed 215Ms, 4831 and retumbo powder for 250 and 300gr SMKs as well as 300gr Lapua Scenars. Using the stupid high priced Redding bushing dies.

Any conservative starter loads I could load up?

Re: Starter loads for Desert tactical 308 and 338?

I havent loaded for an SRS but my Surgeon/Krieger maxed out at 92 grains of Retumbo and a 300smk. That is at 3.62" OAL. I think you have more room in the mag than I do. If you have never reloaded .338 Lapua brass before, you'll find that it is extremely stout! I can go above the load listed above(95gr I think) and the bolt starts to stick.

Thanks Subes, but I am hoping to hear some stuff pertaining specifically to the SRS. This will be my first time loading for 338 though.

For 300 Grain bullets use 86 grains of REL 25 with Federal 215M primers is a good load, moderate pressure.

For 250 Grain bullets use 91 grains of REL 25.

Make sure you work up because some lots have faster burn rates than others.

hey hydro from my manual with the 300 gr SMKs it says the starting load for Retumbo is 83.0 and the max load is 88.0 and OAL is 3.680

Appreciate it guys. Apparently I am getting my 338 conversion this week. Should be able to try some loads this weekend.