• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Statement from Kestrel. Battery corrosion. Must Read.

Kudos to Kestrel for standing behind their product and recognizing the SH community input.
Sometimes as a consumer you need to be a little smarter about protecting your investment, in this case that happens to be the batteries you installed.

Kudos to Kestrel for standing behind their product and recognizing the SH community input.
Sometimes as a consumer you need to be a little smarter about protecting your investment, in this case that happens to be the batteries you installed.

You mean the batteries that the manufacturer supplied, on top of the design that exacerbates corrosion... Gotcha

This is awesome support. But you should use lithium batteries for all your field equipment. More expensive yes, but they last longer and are more reliable.

Also when possible remove the batteries when not in use.

We have to remember that we are not their only client, and in the grand scope of things are not likely their largest segment of clients (albeit I imagine that our percentage is growing) therefore keep in mind that certain design features are perhaps driven by a market different than us. For example, as a scientist, the ability to continue to gather and store data while being turned "off" is probably a good thing and for their purposes saves overall batterly life. When the units were originally marketed, I can imagine that the scientific was their intended and primary audience with the sniper/long range shooting community coming on afterwards.

Having just purchased a used unit, I am thankful for their addressing this situation. While it's not ideal for those who have damaged units it is better than many manufacturers would do.

Again any suggestion is much appreciated and will be given full attention to. NK constantly monitors this board and I've been an active member since 07' so were here for you.

On a completely different subject, is apple Bluetooth compliance in the future anytime soon?

When I store mine I just unclip the bottom Door to the 1/2 latched position. This breaks the battery circuit and stops the drain. When I need it, a slight amount of pressure on the bottom latches the door and completes the circuit. No science but it seems to work.

When I store mine I just unclip the bottom Door to the 1/2 latched position. This breaks the battery circuit and stops the drain. When I need it, a slight amount of pressure on the bottom latches the door and completes the circuit. No science but it seems to work.

Plus if you have the e-compass model, you don't have to wrestle with the battery separator that is in place to keep the battery loading from skewing the readings.

Originally Posted by sniper24INF
Apple Bluetooth is coming. I cant specify when, but it is in the works.

I assume this will be a chipset swap to support BLE where Apple is compatible with the standard and not requiring MFi.

One thing stands out to me,

Why there wasn’t there some engineering in the design of the unit to seal off the battery compartment from the delicate and sensitive electronics. This would at best prevent the problem and at worst mitigate the damage.

If the problem of leaking alkaline batteries is known, which it obviously is, it seems obvious on an expensive and precision device to address it.

I have a GPS device that has a sealed battery compartment to include the electronic terminals. If it corrodes, the cost of replacement doesn’t need to be 55% off a new unit its less then $50 with shipping. I know this because it happened.

At least it wouldn’t leave your end user feeling like they got screwed out of a $600 device that was ruined by its least common denominator equating to less the $1 in batteries.

Just saying…………

What happened to personal responsibility. I have a mag light that came with batteries, i threw it in my junk drawer for storms, 6 months later I take it out battery leaked light does not work. I curse at myself.

I dont call Mag and say those batteries leaked you should replace the unit or even funnier why did you not hermetically seal everything and make it bullet proof. If they did you would be on these boards bitching how expensive it is and how Mag is ripping off the consumer. The next day you would be going to walmart to buy a cheap chinese version.

Take the batteries out when storing for a long period of time. Done. Its not rocket science her folks.

Another option is to use very low self discharge NiMH batteries. Specifically if you choose to use Sanyo Eneloop batteries you're in a good position because there is no liquid dielectric to leak out of these batteries and they are designed to hold their charge with very low actual drain for years in storage. They are literally specified to retain a 75% charge after being stored on the shelf for 3 years. The only downfall is that when they are first installed into the Kestral you only get about 78% battery life (listed) but thats mainly because the chemestry of NiMH provides a slightly lower volatge. They still give a good lifetime, cost about the same as Lithium when purchaesd online, and they provide about 1500 recharge cycles.

What happened to personal responsibility. I have a mag light that came with batteries, i threw it in my junk drawer for storms, 6 months later I take it out battery leaked light does not work. I curse at myself.

I dont call Mag and say those batteries leaked you should replace the unit or even funnier why did you not hermetically seal everything and make it bullet proof. If they did you would be on these boards bitching how expensive it is and how Mag is ripping off the consumer. The next day you would be going to walmart to buy a cheap chinese version.

Take the batteries out when storing for a long period of time. Done. Its not rocket science her folks.

A $20 chinese made flashlight vs a $600 ballistic computer/weather meter....

Its apples to spaceshuttles. Not even the same ballpark, not even the same game.

If Maglight supplied a subpar battery with their lights, Designed the light to draw current (which is the main cause of the leak), and ignored common engineering for products of this type (sealed battery/ect). Ever wonder why Cell Phones and other high end portable electronics use sealed batteries?

And please tell me WHY THE FUCK would you remove the batteries, as you would lose all your saved data and calibrations.

The education systems's syetematic failure is personified by your post.

Another option is to use very low self discharge NiMH batteries. Specifically if you choose to use Sanyo Eneloop batteries you're in a good position because there is no liquid dielectric to leak out of these batteries and they are designed to hold their charge with very low actual drain for years in storage. They are literally specified to retain a 75% charge after being stored on the shelf for 3 years. The only downfall is that when they are first installed into the Kestral you only get about 78% battery life (listed) but thats mainly because the chemestry of NiMH provides a slightly lower volatge. They still give a good lifetime, cost about the same as Lithium when purchaesd online, and they provide about 1500 recharge cycles.

And kestral being the cheap bastards they are, are willing to destroy brand equity and repuation to save a few bucks on a quality OEM Battery. Then the have the balls to charge someone who just spent $600, another $300 for a unit that should have never failed in the first place.

Are you sure you read the whole post ? If you didnt maybe you should. Although you are smarter then then average Joe, average Joe didnt get the memo about removing said batteries as it was never addressed by Kestrel in thier manual. I agree there should be some responsibillity for that.

I am not here to bash Kestrel, I have never been the victim of product failure or problems with Customer Service. I dont think its fair to just blame the customer either.

I just bought my Kestrel yesterday and I read all them not so happy posts and I must admit for KESTREL to go out on a limb like they have is the sort of deal you get with a good familiy member, Makes Me Proud I bought it now

Top Job Kestrel and you too Sniper21INF,,,,WTG

Blessins John

Apple Bluetooth is coming. I cant specify when, but it is in the works.

I know this may be a long shot, but you seem to be the guy to ask this question to. I have the ability to make a kydex holder for these and seems a few are failing with this battery issue. Could I possibly get a shell then mold the kydex then send the shell back.

Also nice avatar, is that your work or a movie.

Having just been bit by the battery issue it does suck having to spend another 333 to replace my 4500nv with bluetooth. I will say they were pleasant to deal with and are even sending me one over night so I won't be without it at the K&M match, and for that I'm very grateful. Sure wish I would have seen all this before the batteries shipped with it killed the unit though. All I can say is tell everyone you know that has one to change the batteries or take them out when not in use, because buying it again, even if it is half price stings.
Having just read all the post about this leaves me wishing it would have happened after the apple bluetooth was available.

So you spend $600.00 the company admits theres nothing in the manual stating you HAVE to use lithium batts, They DONT ship with Lithium Batts, and yet their device fails and wants to charge you 45% of the original item you just purchased few months prior thats now failed from batteries. WOW I'm glad their changing their policy for future buyers but thats messed up for previous owners. I'd be pissed!

as a sidelight, most of the major battery manufacturers have a " no leak" guaranty that in other than a cheap flashlight, is worthless.

top job kestral, fair play for taking on board your customers feedback.Also shows the power of the hide.

LITHIUM BATTERIES

As a backpacker and hunter I use lithium batteries exclusively for my Bushnell LRF binocs, headlamp, Garmin Colorado GPS, and Steripen UV water sterilizer.

Lithium batteries are much lighter than alkaline, hold their charge far better in cold weather and last about 8 times longer than alkaline but only cost 3 times as much. Plus lithium batteries have a 7 year shelf life. (Remember that you preppers.) Lithium batteries are great for emergency LED lanterns. The LED bulbs also use very little juice compared to old incandescant bulbs.

When storing my battery operated gear I ALWAYS remove the batteries to prevent "vampire" trickle draining.

I too am getting a Kestrel/Horus meter but I always planned to use lithium batteries. As for losing the memory there are ways (small capacators) to retain the memory for quite a while after batteries are removed. I dunno if teh Kestrel/Horus unit has that capability or an internal memory card that can save data - but they should.

Last edited:
Is this problem limited to only the ballistic kestrels? I just received my 4500NV-BT last week, drop shipped from kestrel but still had regular batteries.

Is this problem limited to only the ballistic kestrels? I just received my 4500NV-BT last week, drop shipped from kestrel but still had regular batteries.
NO, it is NOT limited only to the Ballistic Kestrels. To be blunt, and specific, YES, your newly arrived Kestrel is subject to this same dilemma. As is/was mine. For that, see my previous posts on the topic.

Crud. I cannot find my original anemometer. Swore I'd never lose it. Found out the Kestrel is made here in the USA! Sold! But then, out thinking myself, I figured I'd see what members have to say. Good grief. I only wanted the model 1000 for use at Camp Perry. (Funny how other competitiors give you a snarky reply on the wind if you don't have one of your own.) Well, who's got the best prices? I take my chances. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

I happen to be one of the lucky Kestrel owners with a
destroyed battery compartment.. it is for sale to any
Poster on this thread who does not yet own a Kestrel,
and is expressedly happy with the "actions" Kestrel
is finally outlining. Half price to any happy taker.

Just post here that you will take it.. comes with free shipping.

How about Kestrel redesigns their battery compartment
with an insert that is removable/ diposable.. like a shit diaper.

At least then, one could just snap a new $89 battery box into
the unit and be back in operation..

If Kestrel cannot design these to not draw on the batteries when off, then
perhaps a removable/ replaceable battery compartment that
can contain & isolate that damaging corrosion should be considered
on new models.

I am also stuck with a Kestrel that is DOA from a corroded battery. I would have been happy to use lithium batteries if it had been recommended in the manual. I think I am going to buy a cheap chinese replacement so that I don't end up throwing good money after bad. These things should have a huge sticker on them warning people that leaving batteries in them for any period of time will kill them. Mine is like brand new except it doesn't work anymore.

My 4500BT Horus made it through one set of batteries, I replaced them with the same batteries Kestrel supplies. Two weeks later my unit is dead due to corroded batteries. It was less than nine months old when it died.
I am very disappointed in the response that Kestrel has provided.

I was gonna buy one of these with the new applied ballistics, but if they don't fix the battery problem then sounds like a problem. Putting lithium battery's is all well and good, but I think they need a sealed battery compartment. Too expensive to take the risk.

I just got a Kestrel about 30 days ago. I'm going to buy some lithium batteries on the way home and take the alkalines out (if that's what came with them). I think it was big of Kestrel to come on here and try to fix things. quite a bit more than most companies would do. Their fix isn't perfect, but it's better than waiting until you unit craps out and telling you tough luck.

"manufacturers uniformly do not cover damage by leaking batteries (even for substantially more expensive items, like high-end cameras)"

What do the policies of other manufacturers have to do with consumers, aka snipershide? So Alix, I respectfully ask do you believe your above quoted statement with regards to your company's products which are geared towards a specific consumer limited in demographic composition (gender majority, income level, age, etc...) outside of military contracts; a broad industry comparison sweetened by allowing the already misfortunate consumer to have the ability to purchase another unit regardless of discount as an applicable solution?

I knew there was something more than just your quote that rubbed me the wrong way (reason for this edit) and that's your offer to purchase another unit at your company's cost. In effect, you already collected the profit from the previous purchase and unwilling to relinquish any of the company gain. By then offering another unit at cost is just a slap in the face to the consumer.

Why not share in the cost and just replace their units for free? Make the consumer whole and the small loss, if at all any to your company, would speak volumes about you as a CEO.

I completely disagree. Anyone of average intelligence who uses battery-powered devices knows about the perils of battery leakage. It's so commonplace that there is no need to even point it out. Good battery handling of any expensive piece of equipment that uses, especially, standard alkaline batteries, is to always use only fresh matched batteries and remove them when the unit is not being operated.

The practice of "forgetting" to take the batteries out, which is IMHO just laziness, can be way more expensive than a Kestrel...for example a PVS-14 or worse, a PVS-15. Leave the batteries in, negligently leave them on and then pop the day cover in the daylight and *poof* 15 grand down the tubes, no pun intended.

I've never, ever seen, in all my years, a manufacturer offer ANY kind of replacement option for battery leakage, and Kestrel's effort is an outstanding show of customer service over an issue that they would have every right to simply ignore, like every other manufacturer does.

And Alix, thanks for the head's up on the lithium AAA batteries. I use nothing else in any mission-critical device mostly because they are long-lasting and highly reliable, but I too was not aware of the safety factor for leakage.

Congratulations and thanks, Alix, for your prompt and generous response to this matter.

Wow, I am impressed with this level of customer attentiveness and interaction. I already own a 4500NV, but I will purchase a ballistic model in the future. I'm going to make sure it's a Kestrel.

Opened the safe... Took out ye olde Kestrel 4500 NV...
Shattered and saddened :(

My batteries have leaked. Unfortunately the repair cost of $279 is close to what I paid for my unit brand new.
With shipping etc it probably equates to me just buying a whole new unit.

I'm a bit sad... I didn't think this was going to be another expense I need to fork out... I learned this lesson the hard way :(

Kudos to Kestrel for addressing the issue, just a bummer it costs $279.

Opened the safe... Took out ye olde Kestrel 4500 NV...
Shattered and saddened :(

My batteries have leaked. Unfortunately the repair cost of $279 is close to what I paid for my unit brand new.
With shipping etc it probably equates to me just buying a whole new unit.

I'm a bit sad... I didn't think this was going to be another expense I need to fork out... I learned this lesson the hard way :(

Kudos to Kestrel for addressing the issue, just a bummer it costs $279.

I swear some of you sound like the type of guy that would catch your girlfriend/wife fucking another dude, and then thank them for it.

Kestral is FUCKING you guys. They put out a poorly engineered/defective product. They refuse to man the fuck up and back up their products. Then they have the balls to pretend they are cutting you a deal, and want you pay 55% of MSRP to get another one, that is still fucking defective.

I would also venture to bet, that they take said "defective and destroyed" units, refurb them for minimal cost.... and then resell them or reuse the parts.

This is what we call a Latent defect. If this was a government contract..... it wouldn't even make it to the board of contract appeals.... because even a moron with an online law degree can see there is no defense.

I swear some of you sound like the type of guy that would catch your girlfriend/wife fucking another dude, and then thank them for it.

Kestral is FUCKING you guys. They put out a poorly engineered/defective product. They refuse to man the fuck up and back up their products. Then they have the balls to pretend they are cutting you a deal, and want you pay 55% of MSRP to get another one, that is still fucking defective.

I would also venture to bet, that they take said "defective and destroyed" units, refurb them for minimal cost.... and then resell them or reuse the parts.

This is what we call a Latent defect. If this was a government contract..... it wouldn't even make it to the board of contract appeals.... because even a moron with an online law degree can see there is no defense.

So Kestrel is the manufacturer of the batteries ?

A poorly engineerd defective product?
Almost every professional sniper around the globe is using some form of kestrel.....let alone the milions of sportshooters and hunters who have them laying around....
Wow what a statement...you sound like the woman who put her poedel dog after washing in a microwave and than sued the microwave company....or the guy that spilled the mcdonalds coffee and than sued mcdonald for not warning him that the coffee was hot.....

If you do not use an electric powered item for a long period...take the freekin batteries out! If that is to much trouble, pfffff.
If you do not use your kestrel for such a long period, maybe you do not need a kestrel at all.....and if you do need it, but only once a year or so...then only put the batteries in when you are about to use it. That not only goes for kestrels, but for all electric equipment.
We have been using kestrels for years and never had any issues, except for bad user problems. If you do not clean your equipment after an excerise or operation, than it will sure fail you the next time, regardless of brand or type.

Take of your stuff, and it will take care of you.

Some folks....everything must be made out of gold but is not allowed to cost more then lead....

And some folks, just don't keep up with the situation. What was just described above, is a 'drastic extreme' assumption of the use of the product, before failure. I for one will tell you that it is only a few MONTHS required before the catastrophic failure happens. Using the supplied batteries. I'd say "ask me how I know" but since I've said already, maybe go back and actually read the content of the thread.

Cobra, I have to say that I agree with you.

The concept of the device is extraordinary. The majority of the execution of the design is wonderful. The 'little bit extra' in that design is damning. The 'corporate line' as well as the 'customer service offer' is dismal, at best.

WARNING to all potential customers..... there are a NUMBER of these threads here, and I (and others too, I'd wager) suggest that they ALL be read before deciding on a product to purchase. The sheer number of affected users in this somewhat "tight-knit" and/or "specialty niche" group is staggering. Buyer beware. Fool and his money........

I don't have ANY PROBLEM telling the truth. The truth shall set you free. Freedom costs though.

I keep my batteries in all the time, have for years in a multitude of environments and no issues. That includes Iraq, Afghanistan ect..

In all of my 10 years of being an operational sniper It's only on this board that this issue is such a huge ordeal.

Also refurb units get donated to snipers overseas.

Just PMCS your kit, and move out.

Last edited:
So Kestrel is the manufacturer of the batteries ?

A poorly engineerd defective product?
Almost every professional sniper around the globe is using some form of kestrel.....let alone the milions of sportshooters and hunters who have them laying around....
Wow what a statement...you sound like the woman who put her poedel dog after washing in a microwave and than sued the microwave company....or the guy that spilled the mcdonalds coffee and than sued mcdonald for not warning him that the coffee was hot.....

If you do not use an electric powered item for a long period...take the freekin batteries out! If that is to much trouble, pfffff.
If you do not use your kestrel for such a long period, maybe you do not need a kestrel at all.....and if you do need it, but only once a year or so...then only put the batteries in when you are about to use it. That not only goes for kestrels, but for all electric equipment.
We have been using kestrels for years and never had any issues, except for bad user problems. If you do not clean your equipment after an excerise or operation, than it will sure fail you the next time, regardless of brand or type.

Take of your stuff, and it will take care of you.

Some folks....everything must be made out of gold but is not allowed to cost more then lead....

Either both of you are functional retards or you did not read the thread. In the case you didn't read the whole thread, then your still an idiot for posting bulllshit.

1. So Kestrel is the manufacturer of the batteries ? ............ And were off. Now tell me why in the flying blue fuck does it matter who made the battery's. They are an OEM ( That stands for Original Equipment Manufacture, IE they are supplied with the unit from the factory or are factory parts). I don't know why I am wasting time time explaining something so trivial, but its clear common sense is lacking around here. Almost everything in an assembly or product is made of subcontracting parts or assemblies. If the Manufacture supplies a defective part, they are the ones on the hook. If you buy a brand new F150, and the Alternator explodes, are you going to call the factory that made the part, or the distributor who sold them to Ford to buy you are new truck? No Ford is responsible for the vehicle and all supplied components. It's on them to do whatever on the backend, but the customer does not deal with subcontractors. If this is unclear, I don't know what to tell you.... it couldn't be any simpler.

2. I don't give a ship what snipers use. The gov can afford to buy them, and if they break, the buy another.... Second, there is not even close to a million units out there. I would say even 25K would be a stretch. Stop throwing out bullshit numbers to go with your bullshit attempt at logic.

If my microwave was sold with a free dog, and they said it was fine to microwave them..... I'm sure there is a good % of the people that would do it. The company "knows" best how to operate the equipment safely and properly. They supplied a shitty battery on a high end electronic device... Along with shitty engineering that makes the problem worse. Had you stopped and read the whole thread, including the electrical engineers who explained it, you wouldn't be running you sewer (No you probably would because idiots don't know any better).

Why design a device that saves data and has to be calibrated, if you need to remove the battery , therefore wiping all the data each time? There a ton of low cost alternatives that would have minimized the issue and in the end, saved Kestral a ton of cash or made them a shitload more due to people like me who would buy one.

Who the fuck are you to tell who should own one, and how often they should use it? It's my money, I earned it, same as anyone else here. You can take your elitist attitude and shove it up your ass.

I swear to fucking god this world is doomed. People are getting stupider by the day and simple things like logic and being able to think for yourself apparently is a thing of the past for the majority of the population. This has always been a great site, but between the new shooters who think they know everything and the troll/post once a year types...the signal to noise ratio is getting a little low. I am done with this thread...

Cobra...some of what you say is true...but in language I hope you can understand...you sound like a fucking ignorant asshole.
Uhhh...is that clear enough for you.
My teenage son (14) who is learning to shoot at distance reads this forum and you sir are a blight on humanity.

The only person with an attitude is you. If you want to have an honest discussion then contact the CEO, she is always willing to talk to customers.

Also, a ton of snipers buy Kestrels with their hard earn cash just like everybody else, even myself and not one damn sniper would take it back since it is a good piece of kit.

But ill stop egging you on since I'm a new shooter and have no knowledge of shooting.

Cobra if you are going to call me an idiot please note "your still an idiot" is a poor way to insult some one. You should maybe throw in a 5 dollar word in there to puff yourself up and make me look dumber too.

All batteries shit the bed eventually, some overheat and burn others leak. I am not very smart, but I am old enough to know that AA and AAA tend to leak.

GAP rifles suck! I left my GAP rifle in a puddle of salt water for a week and it rusted, GAP didnt even warn met that ferrous materials react poorly with salt water and air!

Your analogy with the alternator doesn't jive, try something along the lines of "Ford is Responsible for repairing my blown engine despite the fact that I never bothered to check the engine oil"

As a potentional Kestral customer, I tend to agree with Cobracutter.

Question #1 Why send me a battery that I cannot use in the product? Did they send it for my TV remote? Wouldn't it be cheaper for Kestral to ship without batteries and tell me in the manual to use Lithiums since I have to go buy them anyways?

Question #2 This product is an information gathering/reporting device similar to a home weather station. Why should I be forced to take the batteries out of it? What good is that? If I had to put batteries back in my weather station everytime I wanted to know the wind speed or how much rain I'm getting, then remove them for fear it would ruin it, I would think it was a cheap piece of crap.

Question #3 Do I have to take the batteries out if I use the lithiums? If I don't, then its a non issue.

I'm only asking so I can decide what product to get when it's time to buy. Thanks to everyone that is keeping us up to date on these issues.

As a potentional Kestral customer, I tend to agree with Cobracutter.

Question #1 Why send me a battery that I cannot use in the product? Did they send it for my TV remote? Wouldn't it be cheaper for Kestral to ship without batteries and tell me in the manual to use Lithiums since I have to go buy them anyways?

Question #2 This product is an information gathering/reporting device similar to a home weather station. Why should I be forced to take the batteries out of it? What good is that? If I had to put batteries back in my weather station everytime I wanted to know the wind speed or how much rain I'm getting, then remove them for fear it would ruin it, I would think it was a cheap piece of crap.

Question #3 Do I have to take the batteries out if I use the lithiums? If I don't, then its a non issue.

I'm only asking so I can decide what product to get when it's time to buy. Thanks to everyone that is keeping us up to date on these issues.

Look at it this way.
Thousands of happy Kestrel users, including pro and military users.
Google 'Kestrel battery issues' (I just did).
All that comes up are this thread and a thread from a New Zealand forum...referencing this thread.
Really...it's a non issue.
I sell photographic equipment to industrial/institutional/educational users... pro photographers have know for 20+ years you take your batteries out of your cameras/flashes if they are going to sit for an extended period.
A feeling among some here is that shooters are too smart to have to read their instruments user manual...or that Kestrel is out to screw us all.
NOTICE COBRA I WAS ABLE TO GET MY POINT ACROSS WITHOUT CALLING ANYONE AN IDIOT OR USING FOUL LANGUAGE!
(please disregard if you suffer from turets syndrome...the only way in which I would excuse your behavior)

Last edited: