• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T6xi

Left the illumination on for a few weeks . . . lol, battery dead. I could have sworn I remembered to turn that knob down, but there it was all the way up on 11.

Left the illumination on for a few weeks . . . lol, battery dead. I could have sworn I remembered to turn that knob down, but there it was all the way up on 11.
And the batteries are not standard 2032 that everyone else uses making it even more of a pain. It uses a CR 2450 which reminds me, I need to order some extras cause like you, I seem to always forget it's on... Steiner could really use an auto-shutoff. I wish all manufacturers would adopt a shake awake and auto shutoff (after period of inactivity) feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: C_Does
The Zeiss S3 have the auto off. Luckily for me. Lol I forgot to turn it off and two weeks later noticed it on it turned it off and then back on and there it was. Nice feature for sure but with all the cool guys around here that say “I never even put a battery in” and “there’s no need for illumination” then it’s probably not needed. 😉

I have a Steiner T6XI 3-18x56 with the MSR2 reticle. I haven’t used it on a rifle yet. Initial impressions are good. The turrets are just fine and the glass is good. My only initial complaint is that I would have liked the main reticle lines to match what the reticle looks like at the 10 mil mark. The reticle gets a bit thicker and much more bolder there. If the entirety of the reticle looked like that, it would be much more optimized for the 3-18 magnification that this scope offers. It’s unfortunate that Steiner didn’t do that.
I agree!

Borrowed my buddy's Leupy MK5 3.6-18 for a test against my TX6i. Short story is the TX6i is optically better, better at low light and much better FOV. Target used for reference was 200yds away.
His Leupy has MUCH better turret clicks (I hate the offset windage zero engraving) and about 8 oz lighter (very noticeable).

If weight and compactness is big factor I'd pick the MK5 otherwise TX6i for the win at the moment. Going to test them to 600yds this weekend.

Attachments

• 20230921_162844.jpg
    20230921_162844.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 173
  • 20230921_163051.jpg
    20230921_163051.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 173
Why can’t Burris get these damn turrets right. All the German made scopes always had good turrets. Didn’t hear any complaints on the first round of scopes going out of the T6xi. Scope could be the home run the brand needed.

Reactions: R_A_W
Why can’t Burris get these damn turrets right. All the German made scopes always had good turrets. Didn’t hear any complaints on the first round of scopes going out of the T6xi. Scope could be the home run the brand needed.
I don't think the turrets are "bad" on the T6Xi. Certainly better than NF NX8 and Vortex LHT turrets which are also in the price class...

I don't think the turrets are "bad" on the T6Xi. Certainly better than NF NX8 and Vortex LHT turrets which are also in the price class...
no, not bad, just "mushy", not a deal breaker since the glass is really good. My TX6i and 2 others I fondled are equivalent to my Strike Eagle's turrets. I had a chance to send mine in until I felt the other TX6i's and they felt the same.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I just loved the m7xi turrrts but not the optical system. Now the t6 has a good one and the turrets aren’t as good haha. Dammit. Ah well it happens. I have a pmii that lt Mtc that I’m about to send in because it barley has clicks.

Additionally I've asked the Steiner/Burris what torque value and what loctite to use and all he responded was "yeah, use loctite". Ok dude, purple, blue or red? Nothing yet.......

You should know the screw size, which will lead you to all kinds of standard torque information online. As far as which thread locker to use, it's pretty obvious if you read the description for each one.

It's not rocket science.

• Angry
Reactions: AznTactical
You should know the screw size, which will lead you to all kinds of standard torque information online. As far as which thread locker to use, it's pretty obvious if you read the description for each one.

It's not rocket science.
I should know yes (I am specialty truck design engineer by trade and use fasteners with a locking feature everyday of my life). What I don't know is the material of the threaded female hole and NO I'M NOT GOING TO TEAR APART THE TURRET TO SEE IF THE FEMALE HOLE IS POLYMER, STEEL, TI or ALUMINUM so no it's not obvious. My eye's are telling me it's blue loctite but for this size fastener should be purple. Short story is STOP VICTIM BLAMING when it's clearly a QC issue and should of NEVER left the factory with an obvious missing screw. So yeah it could be rocket science when you need to analyze the material first which directly drives a locking feature and torque value.

Last edited:
I should know yes (I am specialty truck design engineer by trade and use fasteners with a locking feature everyday of my life). What I don't know is the material of the threaded female hole and NO I'M NOT GOING TO TEAR APART THE TURRET TO SEE IF THE FEMALE HOLE IS POLYMER, STEEL, TI or ALUMINUM so no it's not obvious. My eye's are telling me it's blue loctite but for this size fastener should be purple. Short story is STOP VICTIM BLAMING when it's clearly a QC issue and should of NEVER left the factory with an obvious missing screw. So yeah it could be rocket science when you need to analyze the material first which directly drives a locking feature and torque value.

Then send it back

I might send it in with the screw - at least you know it will be done correctly.

You might remember my post earlier in this thread where I stupidly loosened that screw, and then I could not get it to tighten again. I sent it in, and it came back working properly.

I might send it in with the screw - at least you know it will be done correctly.

You might remember my post earlier in this thread where I stupidly loosened that screw, and then I could not get it to tighten again. I sent it in, and it came back working properly.
Yep, I do remember your post, in fact I was about to remove that screw from the windage turret and run to the parts store to find one until I read your post and decided to not take it out. I asked Burris/Steiner what issues could arise with this missing screw, torque and locking feature? 5 days later they responded that the are shipping me out a screw (no other details). If I have issues I'll then ship it back. Like what @308pirate said "it's not rocket science" right? ;)

Yeah, well, I am not a rocket scientist, either, obviously, but I could not get that screw to tighten at all once I loosened it.

I honestly kindof doubt it. Also, the Steiner employee I spoke with truly seemed passionate about the product. Not like he was trying to be a good CS rep, but like he geeked out on this stuff and legit loved the technical aspects.

-Schott glass
-Tested on scar H, full auto, 25 guns, run hard for a day
-Design tested to 50bmg barret recoil emulating machine, unknown Gs
-Each scope. Individual test 350 rounds 762x51 recoil simulating accelerometer then tracking and all functions of illumination and zero retention verified.
-All parts US sourced material and machine work, except "maybe a screw or O ring or something like that from China".
-Internal mechanisms similar to t5, but with design flaws corrected.
-Side impact testing similar to 556 recoil performed.
-This Steiner employee felt the scope is the durability equivalent of Nightforce NXS line, in their opinion.

This is just the opinions and datapoints provided me by one Steiner employee during a phone call to their 1800#.

I do know that Steiner America is getting the glass for the T6xi shipped in from Germany. I have read/heard that the T6xi line glass is Schott, can anyone confirm if this is correct?
That was post #478, back on page 10. That is as close to confirmation as I have been able to find.

Reactions: Sako man
I suppose the 'Schott' glass is only one aspect, you also have the optical engineering of whole package as a system. I have looked through many T5xi scopes. The 5-25X56 seemed decent enough, but something didn't seem right with every 3-15X50 that I looked through. Hard to describe, like a glasses prescription that's a little off. Also Schott probably sells different grades/types of glass.

I suppose the 'Schott' glass is only one aspect, you also have the optical engineering of whole package as a system. I have looked through many T5xi scopes. The 5-25X56 seemed decent enough, but something didn't seem right with every 3-15X50 that I looked through. Hard to describe, like a glasses prescription that's a little off. Also Schott probably sells different grades/types of glass.
Sure, there are so many variabkes. I had a t5xi 15x50 and optically it was very bright, and not bad at all, however I keep reading that the t6x is a definite step up.

Yeah true, any company can make bad glass, the T5xi was not great optically, not bad but not great either. It's just a curiosity, nothing more.
Suppliers provide whatever level of quality the oem is willing to specify and pay for.

I'd bet a paycheck and a half that Steiner doesn't source-control its lenses.

I bet it's bid out as a dimensional drawing with a set of performance specifications a d bought from whoever submits a winning bid. The bid may or may not be required to include a qty of samples for t & e at Burris/Steiner.

For those of you who don't know how procurement works source-controlled means the item must be purchased from specified supplier(s). That's also not the same as a supplier being on an ASL.

Yeah, well, I am not a rocket scientist, either, obviously, but I could not get that screw to tighten at all once I loosened it.
Screw came today. Installed her using blue loctite and attempted to torque to 10 in-lbs (their instructions) and screw snapped and head is spinning freely. Beyond frustrated with my first Steiner optic and at this rate last Steiner optic......

• Wow
Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Screw came today. Installed her using blue loctite and attempted to torque to 10 in-lbs (their instructions) and screw snapped and head is spinning freely. Beyond frustrated with my first Steiner optic and at this rate last Steiner optic......

At this point it's worth $0

Send it to me.

• Haha
I know I said this already, but call them and get a shipping label. It is pretty painless to send it in and get it back, done correctly. Yeah, the scope will be gone for a couple of weeks, but that is what I would do in your shoes (and it is what I did personally).

I get the frustration, but just take a breath, relax, and let them take care of it. You'll love them again in November.

Ok, so obviously I had no idea how to post a .gif. :sneaky:
b95c4bdd-5de2-4663-910d-713848ec20da_text.gif

I have a Steiner T6XI 3-18x56 with the MSR2 reticle. I haven’t used it on a rifle yet. Initial impressions are good. The turrets are just fine and the glass is good. My only initial complaint is that I would have liked the main reticle lines to match what the reticle looks like at the 10 mil mark. The reticle gets a bit thicker and much more bolder there. If the entirety of the reticle looked like that, it would be much more optimized for the 3-18 magnification that this scope offers. It’s unfortunate that Steiner didn’t do that.
How do you change the reticle color on this scope?

I will get a more complete write up in time regarding my 5-30x56 T6xi. But these are my findings thus far.

The glass is fantastic, it up there now with the top tier offerings from NF, SnB, Vortex, Zeiss, etc.. To my eyes it's very sharp. I could make out texture on the siding of houses over two miles away. I could make out facial features on golfers over a mile away. At half a mile I could see spider webs on trees. The optics are bright, and very crisp. This was in morning light at about 60 degrees with no disernable marriage. I can say that T6xi is right there with my Razor G3.

the reticle is awesome, I love the MSR2 and Steiner does it perfect, nice and thin just like I prefer, it's not in the way of your view and precise.

The turrets are really cool in their operation but some might find them mushy compared to some of the top offerings, they don't bother me however. Most importantly is the optic seems to track well, I will take the optic out to distance and test this further.

The paralax is somewhat sensitive, my NFs and Vortex G3 have the Steiner beat in that department. However the distance markings and paralax settings seem fairly accurate.

The zoom rotation is not smooth, I feel some snagging in areas of the rotation.

quick verdict, strong suit is optical quality and reticle. I like the turrets although they don't have that snappy feel like what you get in a MK5 or even Arken EP5... yes I said that. Needs some work with the zoom rotation and smoothing that out. Overall I would give the 30x T6xi a loosey goosey score of 85 to 87 in must have factor.

I bought a 3-18 scr2. I opened it and tried the illumination. Overcast day max brightness and zoom. I can get a hint of green if I'm looking at the right object. Besides at night the illumination is unusable. Is this a normal thing or should I send for warranty?

Last edited:
I bought a 3-18 scr2. I opened it and tried the illumination. Overcast day max brightness and zoom. I can get a hint of green if I'm looking at the right object. Besides at night the illumination is unusable. Is this a normal thing or should I send for warranty?
Did you read the manual? Some of the settings are for Day, Night and NV.

normal. Not daylight bright. Was hoping for brighter to help make the MSR2 more usable at 3x, bummer its not but a lot to like with this scope. Not as good as ATACR 4-16 glass but not too far off either especially given it has impressive FOV.

normal. Not daylight bright. Was hoping for brighter to help make the MSR2 more usable at 3x, bummer its not but a lot to like with this scope. Not as good as ATACR 4-16 glass but not too far off either especially given it has impressive FOV.
You should look through the 30x version if you get a chance. I think it's longer design helps it's optical qualities.

Reactions: mike278
Does anyone else’s 2.5-15 have great glass until nearing max magnification and everything becomes fuzzy? Parallax does not seem to have any measurable change after 150m either.

Does anyone else's 5-30x56 have an elevation turret that can't dial past 1 full rotation? I have mine set up on a 20 MOA mount. I zeroed and set the zerostop. But when I dial up, it stops at 11.2 mils dialing up. I thought maybe I had to dial it back another rotation after loosening the set screws but it stops at about 0.5 mil below zero with the screws loosened. Its supposed to have 26 mil of elevation according to the manual. Am I doing something wrong?