• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T6xi

I’m trying to decide on the 3-18x vs the 5-30x. What is the reason for choosing the 3-18x other than price and it being a little shorter? Seems like the weight is pretty much the same and neither reticle seems that useable at 3-5x anyway. Is there any optical benefit to the 3-18x scope?
3X field of view vs 5X field of view

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I’m trying to decide on the 3-18x vs the 5-30x. What is the reason for choosing the 3-18x other than price and it being a little shorter? Seems like the weight is pretty much the same and neither reticle seems that useable at 3-5x anyway. Is there any optical benefit to the 3-18x scope?
Get the 3-18

The FOV alone is amazing

I’ve taken mine to steel to 1000+ and it did just fine

Reactions: Jip4012
Get the 3-18

The FOV alone is amazing

I’ve taken mine to steel to 1000+ and it did just fine
Do you mean the FOV at 3x compared to 5x? Because it seems the FOV at the same magnification, say 10x, is the same for both scopes. So then my question is what situations do you find the 3x more helpful than the 5x?

Do you mean the FOV at 3x compared to 5x? Because it seems the FOV at the same magnification, say 10x, is the same for both scopes. So then my question is what situations do you find the 3x more helpful than the 5x?
No the FOV at higher mags

I usually set the magnification to 12/14x and leave it there and have never wanted more for shooting steel, and pending mirage it may even get dialed down to 10/12x

No the FOV at higher mags

I usually set the magnification to 12/14x and leave it there and have never wanted more for shooting steel, and pending mirage it may even get dialed down to 10/12x
I guess what I’m getting at is the FOV at 12 or 14x is the same FOV with the 5-30x scope.

Hey guys, I have a 20" 5.56 flat top I bought from a friend. I want to put an optic on it, and I was thinking about a Steiner 2.5-15 or 3-18. I like my good olde P4x, and I prefer the Euro style diopter adjustment over the Nightforce.

The rifle would just be used for range shooting 300 yards in (if I am lucky out to 600). I have terrible eye sight, so I would want at least 15-18x magnification regardless for punching paper.

I was also considering a Leupold Mark 5. I want something with > 10x magnification though.

Thanks

If you're using it only for paper targets at the range magnification is your friend so if you want a first focal plane scope this is a good deal:

Second focal plane scopes like the Vortex GE or one of the Sightron scopes would work well