• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stevens 200 range report with minor mods

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
After some hand load work ups I think I have a hand load my Stevens likes. I set the target out to what I estimated was 100yds. Come to find out after I GPS'ed it was 157yds. My rig is as follows:

Stevens 200 action, trigger set to 4lbs, barrel (308)
B&C Medalist Stock
EGW 20MOA base
TPS low rings
16x super sniper
off brand anti cant and bi-pod

Upcoming upgrades include a Walter 24" barrel and possibly a trigger but that mod is doubtful.

First picture is with out operator error:

dscf3361n.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix F480 at 2010-03-27

Second is with operator error:

dscf3362.jpg

By mwroseberry, shot with FinePix F480 at 2010-03-27

Re: Stevens 200 range report with minor mods

Not bad for a sub-$400 gun off the shelf. Sub MOA is hard to beat. Although she's no longer a sub-$400 rifle anymore. I'm thinking off snagging one of these bad boys and starting my own project. Damn my expensive hobbies.

Good stuff there. Might have to hit him up for a .308 S/A. I hope he still has it in June when I get back from this deployment. Thanks for the link man.

Nice shootin!! I just picked up a 200 myself. I am going to have the barrel cut to 20" and my project is a light tactical/hunting rifle. Once I get it cut down, I will take some pics of the transition and get a range report as well.

DK

Looks pretty good, I always like to see people who do some of their own work on their rifles.

I just picked up a Stevens .300 win-mag to cannibalize for the action, got it for $300 from a local shop on sale so that's a smokin' deal around here.

Add a timney trigger, a good bedded stock, and a match barrel and you end up with a pretty awesome gun. I love using the savage actions for project rifles, they're so easy to work with and adapt.

crewdog - I wouldn't worry about it he always has actions, shillen and mcgowen barrels or even just a stock 308 10FP take of barrel. I'm going with a Walter barrel myself just because I want a 24" barrel and the shillen or mcgowen I would have to get cut down.

Good luck,
Merritt

i too have a 200, is sub moa to 300 yards, moa out to 550 yards.

savage just came out with a model called "the edge", same as the stevens without the accutrigger, but has a new stock and bolt handle, plus a couple other differences. around $325.

308_FRONTAL_VIEWJPG.jpg

Can you put somebody's old Accutrigger out of a Savage in it? I'm sure you could find somebody who swapped out triggers...

The accutrigger mod is possible but not economical. You're better of getting a custom trigger. For $85 you can get a trigger that can get you down to a 1lb trigger pull.

And Predator nice rig.

Good luck,
Merritt

Just dropped off my Stevens 200 at the gunsmith this morning. Installing a new 26" Shilen Select Match, Center Shot Rifles 3-port "Muscle Brake", new Sharp Shooters Supply Competition trigger,Cerakote barreled action, pillar bedding new stock, lap rings and install new scope. Should be a good kick around gun to shoot crows, hogs, etc., at longer distance, provided it shoots like I think that it will. Savages are so easy to smith yourself, if you are so inclined too.

Thinking about building a 6.5-284 with Big Horn action and Brux or Benchmark barrel next. May go with less of a barrel burner, but I love that cartridge.

mwroseberry. talk with jim at northland. he can get you a shorter barrel in shillen or mcgowen. it will just come from them direct, cost less and be shipped from them directly. not sure about a wait

Axeman, I'll keep that in mind.

Mike: Sounds like you're going to have one heck of a shooter on your hands.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i too have a 200, is sub moa to 300 yards, moa out to 550 yards.

savage just came out with a model called "the edge", same as the stevens without the accutrigger, but has a new stock and bolt handle, plus a couple other differences. around $325.

308_FRONTAL_VIEWJPG.jpg
</div></div>

nice camo man. really, even the springs. could have skimped a little there, but nice details

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i too have a 200, is sub moa to 300 yards, moa out to 550 yards.

308_FRONTAL_VIEWJPG.jpg
</div></div>

Yes I think that dog will hunt
smile.gif
Nice job on the camo!