• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

Meanwhile, in other LOLZ news:

Alexa loses $5 billion/year?!? Holy crap, that's almost comical. Back-of-the-envelope math says that even after backing out some nominal amount for back-end server and hosting, you're looking at 2,500-4,000 full-time engineering salaries getting burned on this crap.

Only in 2022 could the stock market be spinning a 7.7% number as "good". That's still showing that inflation is ripping, just not quite as badly as last month. It's also still 5.7% higher than the Fed's target, which has not yet been revised upward (at least not publicly).

But man, not a great day for anyone caught in a short position :ROFLMAO:

Perception versus Reality​

Alexa loses $5 billion/year?!? Holy crap, that's almost comical. Back-of-the-envelope math says that even after backing out some nominal amount for back-end server and hosting, you're looking at 2,500-4,000 full-time engineering salaries getting burned on this crap.
I expect the fallout to continue in tech companies. Probably not to the degree of the dotcom bust but the beginnings of restructuring have arrived. I also expect that quite a few drone companies who have been living off of angels and other PE avenues will die off.

I expect the fallout to continue in tech companies. Probably not to the degree of the dotcom bust but the beginnings of restructuring have arrived. I also expect that quite a few drone companies who have been living off of angels and other PE avenues will die off.
Interesting you bring up PE as that is still 12 years running my best asset class returning 13.6%
this year0. Although they don't deal with tech it's lower to middle market small businesses. BDC's which I prefer due to their liquidity are absolutely killing it right now out of the 4 I own all have had at least 1 div increase this year.

I'll be keeping an eye on the tech focused private equity firms to see how much they are going to get hurt by the headwinds pushing back on tech.

sorry typos i suck this morning

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Interesting you bring up PE as that is still 12 years running my best asset class returning 13.6%
this year0. Although they don't deal with tech it's lower to middle market small businesses. BDC's which I prefer due to their liquidity are absolutely killing it right now out of the 4 I own all have had at least 1 div increase this year.

I'll be keeping an eye on the tech focused private equity firms to see how much they are going to get hurt by the headwinds pushing back on tech.

sorry typos i suck this morning

My working theory - small to midsize businesses in established markets don't have the room to make dumb decisions even when presented with large sums of money at low interest rates, and a lot of those businesses never got to tap into the free-money keg anyways. So they don't get into too much debt, and they don't hire too many people, and they manage inventory intelligently (not too much, not too little), and basically behave like no one is going to throw them a lifeline.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Laying off the robotics team may be a decision of "what is our core business" and "who is more advantaged". Is Amazon a robotics engineering company or is Amazon a logistics organization that uses a lot of robots. May be better to let a 3rd party focus on designing/building robots while Amazon focuses on selling stuff.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Amazon is a cloud computing service company. AWS is by a long shot thier money making entity. Thier ML group is massive and making money. Robotics is probably a subset of that group. Although much smaller market.

Reactions: LilGucci
My working theory - small to midsize businesses in established markets don't have the room to make dumb decisions even when presented with large sums of money at low interest rates, and a lot of those businesses never got to tap into the free-money keg anyways. So they don't get into too much debt, and they don't hire too many people, and they manage inventory intelligently (not too much, not too little), and basically behave like no one is going to throw them a lifeline.

But maybe I'm wrong.
I don't think that's wrong at all and it's partly why I diversify b/t PE and business development companies. PE hand picks people to help these businesses where they lack in skill sets and they are ultra selective and that's why they have excelled over the long haul. Not all PE is the same just like any sector there are wise managers and there are poor ones.

BDC's do the same with rainmaker teams, but more liquid and I take on a bit more risk for yield. And of course with these assets they borrow at fixed and loan at floating rates so they are performing spectacularly right now. Their portfolios are doing well and guidance while not as ballistic as it's been the last couple is still really good for next year. Coverage for dividends on my BDC's is 150-220% as of Q3.

As much as I like PE I'm slowly exiting and will be out of them by next year sometime. Going to let BDC's carry that weight moving forward and keep increasing fixed income allocation from there on.

Last edited:

Perception versus Reality​

Will be quite a show to watch. Doomers predicting S&P 2,500 b/f year end, historians saying split government/post-midterm 4,300 EOY. Either way I'm floating trot lines to buy filet mignon at hamburger prices again when they present.

1668463944341.png

Model 3 Scores 5-Star Green NCAP Rating​

The Tesla TeamNovember 14, 2022
Model 3 has been awarded 5-stars with a Weighted Overall Index of 9.8/10 by Green NCAP, an independent initiative helping consumers evaluate vehicle sustainability. In its analysis, Green NCAP considers a vehicle’s energy efficiency, as well as its emission of greenhouse gasses and air pollutants.
Consuming Less to Spend Less
EVs are more efficient than equivalent ICE vehicles, enabling drivers to travel farther using the same quantity of energy.
In Green NCAP’s efficiency test, Model 3 scored a near-perfect 9.6/10, performing well in both warm and cold laboratory tests as well as highway tests. In the highway test, Model 3 received the highest score of all vehicles tested to date. By comparison, the average ICE vehicle tested in 2022 received 4.2/10, and the average hybrid vehicle scored 5.1/10.
Tesla’s process of continuous iteration introduces running changes to vehicles to improve thermal comfort, driving dynamics, efficiency, range and more. This ensures that new customers receive the latest and greatest hardware and get the most range out of every dollar (or euro) spent on energy.
In fact, 1 kWh of energy allows you to drive 7 kilometers in Model 3, compared to only 2 kilometers in an equivalent ICE vehicle1. This efficiency leads to customer savings. Tesla’s online Calculator for European customers shows that a German Tesla owner spends as little as 0.08 € per kilometer on a Model 3 versus 0.12 € for an equivalent ICE vehicle—that’s 35% savings per kilometer2.
No Air Pollutant Emissions
ICE vehicles emit a variety of polluting gases and particles in addition to carbon dioxide, causing significant harm to people and the planet. In Europe alone, almost 800,000 people die prematurely every year from preventable air pollution-related illnesses3. Model 3, and all Tesla vehicles, emits zero exhaust gas pollutants as part of Tesla’s mission to accelerate the adoption of sustainable transport and energy.
Reduced Greenhouse Gas Emissions
As an electric car, Model 3 does not directly release greenhouse gases. Thanks to its low energy consumption and relatively clean EU electricity production, Model 3 scores a near-perfect 9.8/10 in Green NCAP’s greenhouse gas evaluations.
Our 2021 Impact Report analyzes lifecycle emissions of Tesla vehicles versus equivalent ICE vehicles in the U.S., Europe and China. Its findings show that driving Model 3 produces less greenhouse gases than burning gasoline in all three regions, even with manufacturing factored in.
Tesla vehicles are designed to be more than just a great electric vehicle, but the best vehicles, period. Their efficiency are simply a positive by-product of making the absolute best and most fun products possible.
1 Based on WLTP consumption. Actual range may vary based on factors such as speed, weather conditions and elevation change.
2As of September 2022. For more information regarding these potential savings, including how this is being calculated, please visit Tesla’s Calculator. For US data, please visit this website.
3 https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2021-tesla-impact-report.pdf

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Ahhhh... "What the Survey says"..... The survey is so removed from the man on the street it has become of no value in foretasting the future.
1668523937504.png

One of the talking heads this morning:

What are analysts saying

Tuesday’s PPI data is “another downside surprise that reinforces the peak inflation narrative and offers evidence that the Fed’s efforts to combat inflation are increasingly effective,” said Ian Lyngen of BMO Capital Markets.

Liquidity crunch incoming 2023 & 2024? As you all look at companies you are investing in, I would take a serious look at interest coverage and their debt maturity profile.

Your conservative side is showing.... Think it's going to get that bad ?
It truly depends. Current HY bonds (worth looking at) coming hot off the press are >8.25%. That's a solid return, and you should be in the money for a long time unless they go bankrupt or rates exceed current expecations :)

Now if we see a liquidity crunch in 2023, you could see HY bonds for BB+ going for north of 10%.

When you see a fed pivot, those HY bonds will provide nice appreciation.

As always, I don't believe one can go wrong for being 75/25 on Tesla and Enphase, haha. I kinda wish I was ;)

It truly depends. Current HY bonds (worth looking at) coming hot off the press are >8.25%. That's a solid return, and you should be in the money for a long time unless they go bankrupt or rates exceed current expecations :)

Now if we see a liquidity crunch in 2023, you could see HY bonds for BB+ going for north of 10%.

When you see a fed pivot, those HY bonds will provide nice appreciation.

As always, I don't believe one can go wrong for being 75/25 on Tesla and Enphase, haha. I kinda wish I was ;)
My "trader mentality" is the little demon that sits on my right shoulder...
It says... But, tying up funds for a whole year just to make 10%.... Catch a good "bump up" and 10% can be made in two days... or ... Catch a falling knife (going short) for a few days and make that 10% and roll that money over into a savings account at the local S&L...
No one knows what the future is going to bring.

Seeing more downside to this market and little upside.
Shorting anything "consumer related" will be a good plan.

Take a look at Target, down 16% this morning. Look closely at the run up in share price from last week's "Hope inflation has ended" propaganda. This morning reality set in and down it went. A lot of funds lost a lot of money buying the propaganda.

1668610385013.png

Reactions: NoDopes
TSLA currently ranks #1 in the entire Nasdaq-100 in terms of forward revenue growth (FY '23 vs FY '22) of +39% while trading significantly cheaper on fwd P/E than other companies growing at a similar pace at only 35x.
5C0F6A1C-D831-4076-811F-959C8314DA2B.jpeg

TSLA currently ranks #1 in the entire Nasdaq-100 in terms of forward revenue growth (FY '23 vs FY '22) of +39% while trading significantly cheaper on fwd P/E than other companies growing at a similar pace at only 35x.
View attachment 8001054
........... forward revenue growth...... ?
Did you factor in the 10% inflation rate ?
MU, CRWD, DDOG, ZS.... Quite a dog pack you have TSLA in with.
Here is how the dogs look on a 12 month chart.... Not anything I'd invest in.
1668708608609.png

If Tesla was up 80% on the year, and at an ATH. You still wouldn’t invest though, right?
I would bottom feed on TSLA as if it were my last meal.... It's on my "Watch List" to buy... But so are a few other things.
Elon has things stirred up right now, along with Jerome Powell....
If it were Up 80% and an ATH, I would be like 'The Sharks"... I'm out.
The trend is scary. If it bottomed tomorrow it would take it 11 months to get back to 400.... ;)
1668720769986.png

Edit: I certainly would not be a buyer of CEG right now.

Reactions: S3th
The Fed's balance sheet is at a 52-week low for the first time since Dec 2019, down $340 billion from its peak in April and $133 billion over the last 5 weeks. This is the largest 5-week decline since July 2020.

View attachment 8001054

What that chart shows is how much trust the market has in the ability of various companies to accurately project future earnings.

The Fed's balance sheet is at a 52-week low for the first time since Dec 2019, down $340 billion from its peak in April and $133 billion over the last 5 weeks. This is the largest 5-week decline since July 2020.

So the Fed has wound down about 4% of its assets. The S&P is still down almost 20%, even after the latest sucker rally. Not really clear why people think this will end with a "soft landing".

Screenshot_20221119-081227.png

Perhaps Cathie Wood....

Opened at $16.90........... 2,716,758 shares +213.84%

@Bigfatcock

How does the worlds greatest heterosexual confront this dilemma of not being gay but investing in being gay.

A true capitalist supports the butt sex to make money but at the same time becomes no better than SBF in the amoral decision process.

This IPO needs to become a college business ethics case study.

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
@Bigfatcock

How does the worlds greatest heterosexual confront this dilemma of not being gay but investing in being gay.

A true capitalist supports the butt sex to make money but at the same time becomes no better than SBF in the amoral decision process.

America will pay the price for it's actions.
Corinthians 5:11

@Bigfatcock

I’m not gay, but $20 is $20.

I really don't care whether they fail or not - I'm simply disgusted that's what we decided to prop up with $3 trillion.
I hear ya been totally disgusted the entire decade plus of ZIRP/QE. I spent the first couple of years just being pissed at them doing little sitting mostly in cash equivalents. Then figured if I'm going to get proxy screwed no matter what during their grand experiment may as well try and profit from it as much as I can b/f the global debt instrument bonfire ensues.

Last edited: