• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

Blackstone President and Chief Operating Officer Jon Gray defended the positioning and structure, noting that investors knew BREIT had limits on redemptions.

“We set up the product with limitations on liquidity,” Gray told CNBC’s David Faberduring a live “Squawk on the Street” interview. “We described it as semi-liquid because we knew at some point there would be a period of volatility, and we didn’t want to sell assets at the wrong time under pressure.”

Gray said the firm can sell assets to meet redemptions but can do so over a time horizon that will be beneficial.

“We can sell if needed,” he said. “That’s what gives us a lot of confidence.”

Blackstone President and Chief Operating Officer Jon Gray defended the positioning and structure, noting that investors knew BREIT had limits on redemptions.

“We set up the product with limitations on liquidity,” Gray told CNBC’s David Faberduring a live “Squawk on the Street” interview. “We described it as semi-liquid because we knew at some point there would be a period of volatility, and we didn’t want to sell assets at the wrong time under pressure.”

Gray said the firm can sell assets to meet redemptions but can do so over a time horizon that will be beneficial.

“We can sell if needed,” he said. “That’s what gives us a lot of confidence.”
I would imagine with such a well rounded group of gentlemen here on this site.....
I would not need to refresh the story of "It's your day in the barrel"....
If you have your money (retirement, investment, play money, etc) anywhere other than in your gun safe, going into 2023... You might should re-visit your investment choices.
The kid's saying, from long ago "Pick up your marbles and go home" comes to mind.

Reactions: NoDopes

The ONE windmill at the end is icing on the cake. The 'Perception' of clean energy.
I wonder if those batteries and windmill will work as well as that WWII generator. hmm 80 years vs those batteries might go?? what 10?
Will they be able to recycle that windmill or just let it destroy ground water when they bury it?

The ONE windmill at the end is icing on the cake. The 'Perception' of clean energy.
I wonder if those batteries and windmill will work as well as that WWII generator. hmm 80 years vs those batteries might go?? what 10?
Will they be able to recycle that windmill or just let it destroy ground water when they bury it?
I suggest rewatching the video.

or you can jump to .41 and count it for yourself
1670612535060.png

Here's one contrary take:

As an engineer in the auto industry, I'm automatically skeptical of anyone advocating an all-the-eggs-in-one-basket approach, regardless of the problem domain or proposed solution.

Let's start frontrunning the incoming narrative shift:

Reactions: babyguppy
So we're not getting a pivot just because inflation cooled off to "only" 7.1%? :ROFLMAO:

Whole lotta bros watching their investing theories implode this afternoon.

So we're not getting a pivot just because inflation cooled off to "only" 7.1%? :ROFLMAO:

That is the problem with drinking Koolaid and banking on "HOPE" and Propaganda........ 2023 will be a financially painful year for anyone having a net worth of less than $1 billion.

Have not heard from you in a while....... Glad you are still kickin'
Merry Christmas. How is your fiance ?
Merry Christmas.
Market has been pretty boring but I have started to sell off Enphase (still sitting at ATH) for Tesla. While I love Enphase, I believe Tesla is far too disconnected from reality at its current level. As far as my fiance, she keeps spending on our wedding. We will be getting married in Louisiana.

Elon sold Monday and Tuesday, <$4B. Expected to go towards retiring a tranche of Twitter debt at 11.75%.

Wait a second the oracle of lunacy aka cathie wood has a slightly um bullish 2026 target of $4,600 for Tesla, $1,500 for Zoom and $1m for Bitcoin in 2030. It's gonna be solid time to go balls deep with margin!:ROFLMAO:

I'm taking a stab you mean that with tongue in cheek? Not inflation, but the price targets. Tough to tell with a one word response. Or maybe not....can you walk out a scenario where Tesla share price increases over 2,800% in the next 3 + years?

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I'm taking a stab you mean that with tongue in cheek? Not inflation, but the price targets. Tough to tell with a one word response. Or maybe not....can you walk out a scenario where Tesla share price increases over 2,800% in the next 3 + years?
Only a bit "tongue in cheek"..... The FED can raise interest rates to the moon. Unfortunately, the "Free Government Money" is outpacing the actions of the FED.
1671115101329.png

• Sad
Reactions: NoDopes
Only a bit "tongue in cheek"..... The FED can raise interest rates to the moon. Unfortunately, the "Free Government Money" is outpacing the actions of the FED.
View attachment 8021939
Oh I gotcha.....understood and the insanity is far from over. Deficit spending and the grand central bank experiment is akin to watching Oprah walk into a free Krispy Kreme event.....you know stuff is gonna get torn up.

So, the US goes into a recession which causes the government spending to increase. Taxes from workers fall, FED prints more money, debt service costs skyrocket. Government bails out more political connected groups, companies and pension plans by stealing more tax money.
Not sure how this doesn't blow up.

So, the US goes into a recession which causes the government spending to increase. Taxes from workers fall, FED prints more money, debt service costs skyrocket. Goverment bails out more political connected groups, companies and pension plans by stealing more tax money.
Not sure how this doesn't blow up.
Don't worry....... There is a lot of "HOPE" around if you read the analysis forecast.

Oh I gotcha.....understood and the insanity is far from over. Deficit spending and the grand central bank experiment is akin to watching Oprah walk into a free Krispy Kreme event.....you know stuff is gonna get torn up.
After reading this, I went out in my shop and worked on an old Ford truck to use around my homestead... I do my best pondering out there.
Let's talk about "Deficit Spending" right now, at this place in time and not even worry about Deficit spending and it's effect on the future of our country.

Let's focus on today's free money hitting Main Street America during December 2022.... That money is what is running up inflation.. I agree it has been "borrowed from our children and Grand children"... But that Free Money is hitting the street today and buying rib eyes in the local grocery store tomorrow. There is MASSIVE Government money hitting food banks, day care centers, mass transportation, medical facilities and many more places that the working American has to frequent and fork over his / her hard earned cash. When that American looks to the left and right there is a person. or a line of people, who are having their bill paid by Uncle Sugar.... Very similar to the Student Loans being paid off and those that busted their ass and paid their loan back are saying "Hey, what about me ?".....
The immediate stopping of hemorrhaging free money will bring down inflation faster than Jerome Powell could ever imagine.

After reading this, I went out in my shop and worked on an old Ford truck to use around my homestead... I do my best pondering out there.
Let's talk about "Deficit Spending" right now, at this place in time and not even worry about Deficit spending and it's effect on the future of our country.

Let's focus on today's free money hitting Main Street America during December 2022.... That money is what is running up inflation.. I agree it has been "borrowed from our children and Grand children"... But that Free Money is hitting the street today and buying rib eyes in the local grocery store tomorrow. There is MASSIVE Government money hitting food banks, day care centers, mass transportation, medical facilities and many more places that the working American has to frequent and fork over his / her hard earned cash. When that American looks to the left and right there is a person. or a line of people, who are having their bill paid by Uncle Sugar.... Very similar to the Student Loans being paid off and those that busted their ass and paid their loan back are saying "Hey, what about me ?".....
The immediate stopping of hemorrhaging free money will bring down inflation faster than Jerome Powell could ever imagine.
There's the way we want to the world to be and there's the way it is......two really different things. I envision continued weakness from politicians and enabling from central bankers the world over until something pops. I don't know if an all out austerity program would have unfurled the banking debacle in 2008, but America had their chance to take their medicine from the top down and instead weakness prevailed Now it's full tilt madness into the single greatest financial and moral experiment in world history. Student loans opens the door for all manner of bail outs. Sick.

The weighted average maturity of our debt is concentrated on the short end of the curve and post pandemic it came down ~ around 6 months. I could see some longer term debt in substantially longer maturities coming. Fed loves this inflation it does a lot of their dirty work while they condemn it at the pulpit. The United States inflated away most of the WWII debt in under a decade by letting it run hot.....dunno how that will pan out this time. I could even see the inflation target going up to 3-4-5 as it persists...ain't going away. Some pretty compelling modeling of the debt service at ~ 330b per 100 bps increase.....all to be determined. Ouch.

Last edited:
When that American looks to the left and right there is a person. or a line of people, who are having their bill paid by Uncle Sugar.... Very similar to the Student Loans being paid off and those that busted their ass and paid their loan back are saying "Hey, what about me ?".....
A study showed that 66% of Non-US born citizens are on welfare. Illegal Aliens are likely much higher than that.. they operate in cash and generally don't pay hardly any taxes except for sometimes sales taxes when that isn't black market trade.

Under Biden, "officially" 5 million illegal aliens have already crossed the border. They claim to miss 30% of illegal aliens.
With title 42 ending (ended?) I've seen a stat that the flow of illegal aliens is set to TRIPLE.

With likely over 80%+ of 25 million total illegal aliens in the US already getting some sort of welfare the costs are enormous.
Don't forget about illegal tax filers claiming dependent children that don't exist.. massive fraud there as well. SNAP I'm sure as well.

With corrupt elections, politicians, and some of the judicial branch, perhaps a house of cards reset is what is needed to set things straight.

What would AJ say?

Let's focus on today's free money hitting Main Street America during December 2022.... That money is what is running up inflation..

I think one can make the argument that inflation isn't just being driven by today's deficit spending, but rather the aggregate "easing" (read: printing) of the last 20 years. The War On Terror? Funded by printing. Medicare & Medicaid expansion? Printing. Bailing out businesses and "stimulating" the economy post-'08 crash? Printing. The whopping 2-3% GDP growth during the Obama and Trump years threat was fueled by trillion-dollar annual deficits? Printing. $10 trillion in "Covid relief"? Don't even need to state where that came from, but we'll eventually forget that it was printed.

Remember that Bush Jr inherited about $5 trillion in national debt and about $200B/yr in deficit spending. During certain months in 2020-'21, we ran deficits of almost a trillion dollars (approximately $30B/day).

My point is that this didn't happen overnight, and reversal won't happen with a few years of belt-tightening of the type we pretended to do with the federal spending sequestration of a decade ago.

It'd be hilarious to go listen to old Hannity clips about his Penny Plan, but not in the usual sense of the word where we treat it as a synonym for "really funny".

Mainstreet? Cmon bro, mouse nuts compared to the money dumped into corporations over the past 3 years. While LeShawndra may have gotten a couple grand...

But wait, I thought all this money was to help companies through the rough time and keep things stable?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The merger with govt and big corp inches closer and closer every minute of every day...

Last edited:

The takeaway from this video is that the Ford Lightning EV is built pretty much like the ICE F-150. So while its body-on-frame construction isn't as sophisticated as the unibodies from GM and Tesla, it has the following advantages:

1) The Lightning leverages common components/tooling with the ICE F-150

2) The Lightning offers the same design flexibility as the ICE F-150 (multiple configurations of cab and bed are possible, which is something that has traditionally been important to truck buyers)

3) The Lightning can be built in the plants which currently build the F-series

I don't know if any/all of those add up to a win for Ford, but they are certainly intriguing as we figure out how the EV pickup market will evolve.

Reactions: Lightning8
The takeaway from this video is that the Ford Lightning EV is built pretty much like the ICE F-150. So while its body-on-frame construction isn't as sophisticated as the unibodies from GM and Tesla, it has the following advantages:

1) The Lightning leverages common components/tooling with the ICE F-150

2) The Lightning offers the same design flexibility as the ICE F-150 (multiple configurations of cab and bed are possible, which is something that has traditionally been important to truck buyers)

3) The Lightning can be built in the plants which currently build the F-series

I don't know if any/all of those add up to a win for Ford, but they are certainly intriguing as we figure out how the EV pickup market will evolve.
I am a fan of the Lightning. On the list with ~6 other vehicles I am interested in buying lol

This looks closer to what we used to call a DV (design validation) prototype sample than a production-ready part, but modern CAE practices have kinda blurred the distinction between the various development stages and so it might be fairly representative of a production piece.

The cab looks fairly ordinary, but the big flying buttresses that form the bed sides are unique. I'd expect a typical cast subframe in the front, but the rear may be integral to the bed floor castings. The styling will be quite distinctive in the truck world, but it'll also likely be a departure from the Cybertruck concept. It seems highly unlikely that it will utilize 3mm-thick stainless exterior panels as an "exoskeleton".

I am a fan of the Lightning. On the list with ~6 other vehicles I am interested in buying lol

I've seen several in person and what's most striking is just how normal it is, other than the "frunk" and independent rear suspension.

Long-term, I don't know if it's a competitive design, but in the short term, it's a relatively cheap way to place a bet (kinda like GM's Bolt).

Reactions: S3th
Mainstreet? Cmon bro, mouse nuts compared to the money dumped into corporations over the past 3 years. While LeShawndra may have gotten a couple grand...

But wait, I thought all this money was to help companies through the rough time and keep things stable?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The merger with govt and big corp inches closer and closer every minute of every day...
We have a different perspective. The billions and billions going to Ukraine, Africa and Big business are simply beyond my scope. At my age, I have no dog in that fight. That train wreck will be unfolding long after I'm dead....... Now, when LeShawndra is having rib eye paid for with Free Government money and I'm eating hamburger paid for by my fixed income... that hits a bit closer to home.

We have a different perspective. The billions and billions going to Ukraine, Africa and Big business are simply beyond my scope. At my age, I have no dog in that fight. That train wreck will be unfolding long after I'm dead....... Now, when LeShawndra is having rib eye paid for with Free Government money and I'm eating hamburger paid for by my fixed income... that hits a bit closer to home.

I can understand that perspective.

I'd settle with accounting where all the money goes.., then go from there.

And that's kinda the problem. Welfare abuse is a relatively small chunk of government overspend, but it's obvious, offensive, and divisive. It's the perfect distraction from the fact that the Fed has bought nearly $3 trillion of mortgage-backed securities over the past few years and priced the average middle-class American out of the housing market. So someone seethes at the mental construct of a "welfare queen" but can't wrap their head the trillions given to the defense industry and the backs, and Jamie Dimon laughs at you while borrowing money at 3.5% to loan risk-free at 7%, and Cathie Wood spouts the sort of bullshit to millions of viewers that would land you or I in jail if we were said the same thing to a single investor as a licensed local Edward Jones advisor.

Biases and inaccurate mental models are dangerous.

An interesting thread on the Tesla Semi ergonomics:

Maybe there's a vocational model coming that addresses these issues? I don't know how many here will remember the Mack U and DM (dumper/mixer) series from the 70s, but those trucks offset the entire cab towards the road side (left) of the truck, which is about as opposite as it gets from the Tesla.

Hypothetically, the architecture of the Tesla Semi should make it easier to spin off various cab configurations, but it's unclear if the company has the capital or appetite to do so.

And that's kinda the problem. Welfare abuse is a relatively small chunk of government overspend, but it's obvious, offensive, and divisive. It's the perfect distraction from the fact that the Fed has bought nearly $3 trillion of mortgage-backed securities over the past few years and priced the average middle-class American out of the housing market. So someone seethes at the mental construct of a "welfare queen" but can't wrap their head the trillions given to the defense industry and the backs, and Jamie Dimon laughs at you while borrowing money at 3.5% to loan risk-free at 7%, and Cathie Wood spouts the sort of bullshit to millions of viewers that would land you or I in jail if we were said the same thing to a single investor as a licensed local Edward Jones advisor.

Biases and inaccurate mental models are dangerous.
Overwhelmingly so. 2008 was the date central bankers and congress said 'screw you savers' in a very big way. At least now some flavors of Treasuries are at least not *all* yield free risk....still negative real yields, but better than getting eviscerated in cash. Agency MBS is going to be a very interesting asset class to watch as book values will continue to suffer with each rate squeeze. Stopping net purchases vs outright selling MBS is a really big distinction. They have said they want a portfolio of predominantly Treasury securities, but what they say/do/actually want is a pinwheel of contradictions.

@Hobo Hilton Do you know how the tax credits work is that a state issue or federal? neighbor down the street put panels in maybe 10 years ago and dang has he spent some $ fixing and maintaining them.

@Hobo Hilton Do you know how the tax credits work is that a state issue or federal? neighbor down the street put panels in maybe 10 years ago and dang has he spent some $ fixing and maintaining them.
I do not know how the credits work. I do have friends in CA that installed solar and 1) They were misinformed about the situation when they feed power back into the grid... or ... 2) The "Rules" changed about back feeding shortly after they installed the system.
Tag:

S3th

• Haha
Reactions: gigamortis