• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

This is how "The Market' rewards a big, old company who's products will be needed to lift America out of this Rabbit Hole. I think all those "indicators" we are seeing this evening are wrong. APD, Down 7.11% for the day. Top rated by the, so called, analysis. This could be read, by some, as the decline will continue long into 2023.

S3th

Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. is an American international corporation whose principal business is selling gases and chemicals for industrial uses. Air Products' headquarters is in Allentown, Pennsylvania
1675376565949.png

Last edited:
Reactions: S3th
Apple CEO Tim Cook said three factors impacted the results: A strong dollar, production issues in China affecting the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, and the overall macroeconomic environment.

Amazon stock falls as least profitable holiday quarter since 2014 leads to its worst annual loss on record​

5:31 pm ET February 2, 2023 (MarketWatch)

By Jeremy C. Owens
AWS and Amazon's first-quarter forecast also miss analyst estimates amid concerns about cloud growth; CFO says AWS will show 'slower growth rates for the next few quarters'
Amazon.com Inc. reported its least profitable holiday quarter since 2014 on Thursday, leading to the biggest annual loss on record for the e-commerce giant, which also disappointed Wall Street with its forecast amid concerns about cloud growth.
Amazon (AMZN) reported a holiday profit of $278 million, or 3 cents a share, down from $1.39 a share a year ago. Revenue increased to $149.2 billion from $137.41 billion a year ago. Analysts on average were expecting earnings of 17 cents a share on sales of $145.71 billion, according to FactSet.
Shares fell more than 4% in after-hours trading immediately following the release of the results, after closing with a 7.4% increase at $112.91.

Reactions: gigamortis
I have degrees, and went to College. My parents told me I'd be a trash collector if I didn't.

I told my kids, their friends, the kids on my HS trap team...you don't have to go to college. The only reason my oldest went to college, was to play baseball. When he stopped playing, he told me he was ready to Adult. Moved to Tampa, got a job as an insurance agent. 21 and on a path to make more than most of his friends who are still in college, many with debt. Youngest is in College, and wants to be a lawyer, but he is on a full ride too. College only works for some percentage. I want my Doc to have time in school, and do well.
I fully believe if you can't do your undergrad on full ride or just shy thereof and can cash flow the rest, you don't belong in college.

We are still struggling to hire enough for the railroad on my craft across the western half of the country, starting pay $34/hr for a day one apprentice and six figure base pay as a two years on journeyman, with plenty of overtime to add to that. No college or trade schooling needed, just have to have good mechanical/electrical sensibility and willingness to embrace the suck of working hard in the shittiest conditions. Tons of jobs around like that, nobody can find and keep enough wrench turners and hammer swingers.

I don't get it either.

And now back to our regularly scheduled bear bump show.

You explained it very eloquently yourself - "willingness to embrace the suck of working hard in the shittiest conditions". Why work hard when many American males age 25-54 have left (or never entered) the work force and there are enough safety nets to not only survive but prosper.

Congress MUST stop all the safety net programs - that is the real source of inflation plus explains why there are millions of good jobs unfilled (not just fast food).

Key Points
  • Japan’s Government Pension Investment Fund reported a fourth consecutive quarterly loss, totaling 1.85 trillion yen ($14.3 billion).
  • It takes the world’s biggest pension fund’s losses for the first three quarters of the fiscal year to 3.71%, or 7.32 trillion yen.
  • Its loss over the first three months of 2022 was its first negative quarter for two years amid higher interest rates and global market volatility.

So, inflation is crushing everyone, so people are all forced back into the workforce, including retired people?
This was unexpected?
Only when we see earnings reports that stop saying "Profit's Doubled" will the economy have reached a pivot point.
In the mean time, save your money.

J Powell: disinflation mentioned five times in speech, do not need unemployment to rise for inflation to come down
Asset Managers: it's okay to lose money when everyone else is losing money, it is not okay to not make money when others are making money, risk is on and is being led by institutions
10YT: backing up, yields should be higher as soft landing is more likely, no roaring growth but earnings don't fall off a cliff and rates remain higher than expected

Not sure what to do besides sell over the money calls on Tesla when/if we go above $225.

J Powell: disinflation mentioned five times in speech, do not need unemployment to rise for inflation to come down
Asset Managers: it's okay to lose money when everyone else is losing money, it is not okay to not make money when others are making money, risk is on and is being led by institutions
10YT: backing up, yields should be higher as soft landing is more likely, no roaring growth but earnings don't fall off a cliff and rates remain higher than expected

Not sure what to do besides sell over the money calls on Tesla when/if we go above $225.
I wish I could be of more help to you. I feel your pain.
I just invested $2,100 in Ford (F)..... As in F250, 1997
I will be away from the computer Monday... Installation Day.

Attachments

• IMG_8295.JPG
    IMG_8295.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8297.JPG
    IMG_8297.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 26

1675542634471.png

Wall Street to Jerome Powell: We don't believe you​

By Brett Arends
Do you want the good news about the Federal Reserve and its chairman Jerome Powell, the other good news...or the bad news?
Let's start with the first bit of good news. Powell and his fellow Fed committee members just hiked short-term interest rates another 0.25 percentage points to 4.75%, which means retirees and other savers are getting the best savings rates in a generation. You can even lock in that 4.75% interest rate for as long as five years through some bank CDs. Maybe even better, you can lock in interest rates of inflation (whatever it works out to be) plus 1.6% a year for three years, and inflation (ditto) plus nearly 1.5% a year for 25 years, through inflation-protected Treasury bonds. (Your correspondent owns some of these long-term TIPS bonds--more on that below.)
The second bit of good news is that, according to Wall Street, Powell has just announced that happy days are here again.
The S&P 500 jumped 1% due to the Fed announcement and Powell's press conference. The more volatile Russell 2000 small cap index and tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite both jumped 2%. Even bitcoin rose 2%. Traders started penciling in an end to Federal Reserve interest rate hikes and even cuts. The money markets now give a 60% chance that by the fall Fed rates will be lower than they are now.
It feels like it's 2019 all over again.
Now the slightly less good news. None of this Wall Street euphoria seemed to reflect what Powell actually said during his press conference.

Reminds me of the old "Rope a Dope"....... Always a great show.... Entertaining.... Circus like..... Bread and Circus.
Connect the dots.
_________
Total credit card debt reached a record $930.6 billion in the fourth quarter of 2022, according to the latest credit report from TransUnion.

Similar to the predicament American's have found themselves in. Pull out a "Credit Card" to fill the gas tank and buy groceries.
A losing investment.

The startup is low on cash as it works to get its EVs into full production.

Reactions: devildog93

Yeah, but because we live in Inverse Clown World, this is actually bullish for stocks because cheap money from the Fed mattered way more than fundamentals like ROI. So hang on tight and wait for a PE of 100+ across the S&P.

In completely unrelated news, $BBBY was up 92% today. People are retarded.

E. Bryant (above) and Jerome Powell have both used the same phrase this morning........

....... a long way to go...........

I have done a lot of traveling for work, in my life. I liken that phrase to leaving Los Angeles and heading to Boston to build a plant. The guy in the passenger seat, who never worked on the road, looks over and asked me "How long till we get to Boston ? My standard reply "We got a long way to go".

“The disinflationary process, the process of getting inflation down, has begun and it’s begun in the goods sector, which is about a quarter of our economy,” the central bank chief said during an event in Washington, D.C. “But it has a long way to go. These are the very early stages.”

Temporary disinflation - things are still getting worse but at a slower rate, at least for the moment.

Everyone is getting horny about the idea that inflation is approaching zero, but that only means that the price increases of the past two years have stopped getting worse. It's going to take actual deflation just to get back to where we were before things got stupid.

Screenshot_20230207-162837.png

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
And here's why the Fed is referring to the current CPI trend as "temporary":

great_inflation_2.jpg

Where are we at in the cycle?

Reactions: Lightning8

"Tesla will be opening use of its charging connector to other EV charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers, the company announced in a blog post Friday. According to the blog post, the Tesla charger, known as the North American Charging Standard (NACS), offers AC charging and up to 1 megawatt of DC charging in one slim package." "In pursuit of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, today we are opening our EV connector design to the world,” the post reads. “We invite charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers to put the Tesla charging connector and charge port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS), on their equipment and vehicles.”

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

"Tesla will be opening use of its charging connector to other EV charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers, the company announced in a blog post Friday. According to the blog post, the Tesla charger, known as the North American Charging Standard (NACS), offers AC charging and up to 1 megawatt of DC charging in one slim package." "In pursuit of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, today we are opening our EV connector design to the world,” the post reads. “We invite charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers to put the Tesla charging connector and charge port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS), on their equipment and vehicles.”

Interesting.
Do some vehicles have an on board battery charger that allows AC current to be plugged into the vehicle?

Interesting.
Do some vehicles have an on board battery charger that allows AC current to be plugged into the vehicle?

Most EVs and Plug In Hybrids all have built in AC chargers, your home EV chargers and most business chargers are actually just straight AC going into the vehicle, (usually 240v because 110v is generally dog ass slow).

DC charging is most often used for fast charging on the go at charging stations because you can charge so much faster.

What this guy is saying is 100% true the charging options in the USA suck balls unless you have a tesla and go to tesla chargers where everything just works, your account is already set up and you just plug in and go.

That being said, charging at home or work is usually like 1/4th the cost of charging at one of the charging stations.

Now in places like Norway and such where there is a huge amount of infrastructure, it is a lot easier and not too much harder than using a gas pump.

Reactions: S3th
Interesting.

Virtually all EVs support Level 1 & Level 2 AC charging. The alternating current supplied by the charger is rectified and boosted to a voltage sufficient to charge the pack (typically around 400 VDC). There are some clever ways to do this using the DC link circuitry that sits between the battery and motor, but I don't know if that's universally utilized or if it's still protected by patents. Things get more complicated yet when V2G (vehicle-to-grid) functionality is implemented.

Virtually all EVs support Level 1 & Level 2 AC charging. The alternating current supplied by the charger is rectified and boosted to a voltage sufficient to charge the pack (typically around 400 VDC). There are some clever ways to do this using the DC link circuitry that sits between the battery and motor, but I don't know if that's universally utilized or if it's still protected by patents. Things get more complicated yet when V2G (vehicle-to-grid) functionality is implemented.
When AC is brought into a battery charger (on conventional vehicle batteries) several things happen. Battery charger generates heat and the battery discharges a corrosive gas. Is this the case on EV's ?

When AC is brought into a battery charger (on conventional vehicle batteries) several things happen. Battery charger generates heat and the battery discharges a corrosive gas. Is this the case on EV's ?

Not even close to the same thing. I'd recommend setting aside whatever you think you know about batteries and doing some investigations of the first principles. Failing that, ponder how things like cell phones and modern cordless tools operate, and consider how this may be scaled up to the size of a car battery and charger by roughly three orders of magnitude.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Not even close to the same thing. I'd recommend setting aside whatever you think you know about batteries and doing some investigations of the first principles. Failing that, ponder how things like cell phones and modern cordless tools operate, and consider how this may be scaled up to the size of a car battery and charger by roughly three orders of magnitude.
Necessity... the mother of invention.
Plato

I have not bought into the "Go Green" movement. I see those that have bought in are a vocal minority. The media and Green Peace brought a movement into the public's eye. Some label Elon as a genius. My Dad had a saying "Son, do something, even if it's wrong". Elon has failed many times at different endeavors. With each failure, he exponentially learned much more than he lost. His genius is using the "force multiplier" theories. He has a talent # 1 is for getting brilliant people to buy into his visions, work tirelessly while Elon reaps the benefits. His talent # 2 is for grasping opportunities that other's over look. My hat is off to Elon, not the "Go Green" movement. Why ? Because there is no "Necessity" driving Green inventions. At least not at this place in time.

Necessity... the mother of invention.
Plato

I have not bought into the "Go Green" movement. I see those that have bought in are a vocal minority. The media and Green Peace brought a movement into the public's eye. Some label Elon as a genius. My Dad had a saying "Son, do something, even if it's wrong". Elon has failed many times at different endeavors. With each failure, he exponentially learned much more than he lost. His genius is using the "force multiplier" theories. He has a talent # 1 is for getting brilliant people to buy into his visions, work tirelessly while Elon reaps the benefits. His talent # 2 is for grasping opportunities that other's over look. My hat is off to Elon, not the "Go Green" movement. Why ? Because there is no "Necessity" driving Green inventions. At least not at this place in time.

Understanding how a lithium-ion battery and its corresponding charging hardware operates does not require buying into any moments.

There is plenty of necessity driving investment into good rechargable batteries. Ask any contractor or tradesman if he wants to go back to the days of NiCad or NiMH batteries. It's brilliant technology. Whether it should be applied to personal and/or commercial transportation should be a question left to market forces.