• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

.... expectations, expectations, expectations.... This is like the form letter we get from the "__________ Department" (Fill in the blank). It is NEVER signed by a real person. These "expectations" are never backed up by a real person. Yet the Sheeple believe every word of "Ghost Expectations". They are either suicidal or elated when the fake bottom line is posted.

In this case they are elated because of nothing more than inflation.

Sales at retailers rose far more than expected in January as consumers persevered despite rising inflation pressures.
Advance retail sales for the month increased 3%, compared with expectations for a rise of 1.9%, the Commerce Department reported Wednesday. Excluding autos, sales rose 2.3%, according to the report, which is not adjusted for inflation. The ex-autos estimate was for a gain of 0.9%.

Charlie Munger said Wednesday that Tesla pales in comparison to BYD in China, calling the Chinese electric vehicle maker his favorite stock ever.

They have actively been selling their position in the company.

“Tesla last year reduced its prices in China twice. BYD increased its prices. We are direct competitors. BYD is so much ahead of Tesla in China ... it’s almost ridiculous,” Munger said.” That’s because Tesla has pricing power, BYD doesn’t. BYD sold 8x more vehicles than Tesla. Tesla made over 8x BYDs profit per vehicle. Other manufacturers should fear BYD & Tesla.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Is BYD listed on any Amercian stock exchanges? or are they cooking the books like most china companies.

Ford CEO Jim Farley told a recent podcast he believes Ford engineers aren't as efficient as those working for other car companies.

"It takes us 25 per cent more engineers to do the same work statements as our competitors," Mr Farley said on the Cars & Culture with Jason Stein podcast.

uh o.... sounds like layoffs are coming
LOL.... Ford should make it a "condition of employment" that engineers / designers must work 2 months every year as a Line Mechanic at a dealership. Of that 2 months, one month should be remove, repair, reinstall "drive train components" on vehicles that are at least 5 years old. At no time during that 2 months can they use a laptop or electronic diagnostic equipment or any air or electric tools..... Those who can't cut it end up on that "lay off list......

Not picking on Ford, have the same program for every other manufacturer.

I dont want to get too far off topic,, but the best oil filter to change
1) 2005 VW TDI - filter is a paper insert, at front of engine, screw off the top, pull out the filter, toss another one in.!! FREAKING easy (2-3 mins max)
2) 2000 - 2004 V6 Toy Highlander. the filter is up front, but it has a tiny funnel underneath that allows the oil to drop down between the frame; to land perfectly in the oil pan below. GENIUS!! you can tell those guys worked on engines.

Ford CEO Jim Farley told a recent podcast he believes Ford engineers aren't as efficient as those working for other car companies.

"It takes us 25 per cent more engineers to do the same work statements as our competitors," Mr Farley said on the Cars & Culture with Jason Stein podcast.

Well, Jim, you've been on the job for 2-1/2 years at this point - what are you doing to fix the problem?

I did something like this when I ran an
electronics/prototyping laboratory. All the new engineers had to work their first year with the technicians in the labs doing hands-on work to learn the difference between computer generated solutions and the real world.

Paid huge dividends in avoided rework.

LOL.... Ford should make it a "condition of employment" that engineers / designers must work 2 months every year as a Line Mechanic at a dealership.

I did something like this when I ran an
electronics/prototyping laboratory. All the new engineers had to work their first year with the technicians in the labs doing hands-on work to learn the difference between computer generated solutions and the real world.

Paid huge dividends in avoided rework.
The practice of starting an apprentice with a journeyman craftsman started hundreds of years ago in Europe (maybe even before that during biblical times)... That seems to be where the term "Old World Craftsmanship" came from. More of that is needed in America.

Lot of front end damage Tesla's around. Interesting. Maybe people who buy that car are just bad drivers.
f00542d1a5964fda95ebfc59c547d94d_ful.jpg

fed1c29fb2fb49fc801bd193d33c4e06_ful.jpg

de787a42707248569071ce9229f4a065_ful.jpg

a907f482856844b583688563fbc3dafb_ful.jpg

0d764bb1fcbe4f42a42b933d69006680_ful.jpg

LOL.... Ford should make it a "condition of employment" that engineers / designers must work 2 months every year as a Line Mechanic at a dealership. Of that 2 months, one month should be remove, repair, reinstall "drive train components" on vehicles that are at least 5 years old. At no time during that 2 months can they use a laptop or electronic diagnostic equipment or any air or electric tools..... Those who can't cut it end up on that "lay off list......

Not picking on Ford, have the same program for every other manufacturer.
Yessir! All those automotive engineers need to eat some of their own cooking.

I've always said that engineers should be required to serve internships just like doctors before they are awarded their degrees.

Last edited:

I've always said that engineers should be required to serve internships just like doctors before they are awarded their degrees.
These comments have me chuckling. After doing some reading I guess the new engineers should start in the oil change / filter replacement bay before being turned lose with a journeyman line mechanic. Then all oil filters would take the exact same wrench and a drain plug would always need just a 3/4" socket.
After that, no more intermingling METRIC and SAE on one vehicle.
I joke about where the engineer was sitting in the class room when I work on equipment. CAT engineers are near the front of the class and Polaris engineers share the back row with the chainsaw engineers.

Lol

Curious to the size of the "Legal Department" Elon has on board.
Some very old "sayings" about a man who has something to hide and the length of his explanations.
images

Automotive engineer here. Been doing the job for longer than a quarter-century, so I don't know everything but I've been there and since that a few times.

Many of us in the industry - not all, but maybe half - range from DIYers to serious gearheads. My daily-drivers are a 10-sec Camaro ZL1 and a diesel Ford Econoline van that I converted to 4wd. Many of my colleagues are accomplished amateur racers, and others are hobbyist farmers, motorcyclists, boaters, gunsmiths, etc. Walk into one of our meetings on Monday morning and you'll see a lot of hands that have seen hard use over the weekend - you know, the type of grime that brake cleaner washes into the skin but pumice soap won't wash out.

So what happens during our day jobs is that we're given a task, a budget for NRE (engineering costs) and piece price, and a bunch of constraints which often come into conflict with each other. We can't break the law, so safety, emissions compliance, and fuel economy will come first. Our vehicles have to go down an assembly line, and be affordable to the purchaser - that means the bean counters get a strong vote. We have deadlines to meet, and aren't always given enough time to do the job the way that we would like.

Ultimately, this means that the end result isn't quite perfect - design rules for things like fastener/tool clearance (yes, they exist) get violated because it would cost too much to redesign and retool an existing component or because sometimes like a new crash test standard resulted in late design changes that cascaded in an unpredictable manner. Parts and assembly processes get optimized for the production line instead of the service bay. Sometimes things just don't work out as well as we'd anticipated.

But when swearing at the engineer when working on that 25-year-old 3/4-ton pickup, consider that the vehicle is still in operation and worth being repaired because the vast majority of the parts are still serviceable, despite the fact that the last 3-4 owners neglected to do the specified maintenance and routinely violated the manufacturer's ratings and specifications. While pondering that fact, go buy the correct factory service documentation because there's probably stuff in there that can't be found on some rando's YouTube channel, and go buy the correct specialty tools because we don't spend time designing those host to make a few extra dollars.

And before anyone further complains about the difficulty of servicing a vehicle, understand that I have a van with a 6.0 Power Stroke and thus laugh at your attempt at a tale of woe and sorrow. Come help me pull the valve covers if you want the sort of story you can tell the grandkids.

Automotive engineer here. Been doing the job for longer than a quarter-century, so I don't know everything but I've been there and since that a few times.

Many of us in the industry - not all, but maybe half - range from DIYers to serious gearheads. My daily-drivers are a 10-sec Camaro ZL1 and a diesel Ford Econoline van that I converted to 4wd. Many of my colleagues are accomplished amateur racers, and others are hobbyist farmers, motorcyclists, boaters, gunsmiths, etc. Walk into one of our meetings on Monday morning and you'll see a lot of hands that have seen hard use over the weekend - you know, the type of grime that brake cleaner washes into the skin but pumice soap won't wash out.

So what happens during our day jobs is that we're given a task, a budget for NRE (engineering costs) and piece price, and a bunch of constraints which often come into conflict with each other. We can't break the law, so safety, emissions compliance, and fuel economy will come first. Our vehicles have to go down an assembly line, and be affordable to the purchaser - that means the bean counters get a strong vote. We have deadlines to meet, and aren't always given enough time to do the job the way that we would like.

Ultimately, this means that the end result isn't quite perfect - design rules for things like fastener/tool clearance (yes, they exist) get violated because it would cost too much to redesign and retool an existing component or because sometimes like a new crash test standard resulted in late design changes that cascaded in an unpredictable manner. Parts and assembly processes get optimized for the production line instead of the service bay. Sometimes things just don't work out as well as we'd anticipated.

But when swearing at the engineer when working on that 25-year-old 3/4-ton pickup, consider that the vehicle is still in operation and worth being repaired because the vast majority of the parts are still serviceable, despite the fact that the last 3-4 owners neglected to do the specified maintenance and routinely violated the manufacturer's ratings and specifications. While pondering that fact, go buy the correct factory service documentation because there's probably stuff in there that can't be found on some rando's YouTube channel, and go buy the correct specialty tools because we don't spend time designing those host to make a few extra dollars.

And before anyone further complains about the difficulty of servicing a vehicle, understand that I have a van with a 6.0 Power Stroke and thus laugh at your attempt at a tale of woe and sorrow. Come help me pull the valve covers if you want the sort of story you can tell the grandkids.
is it parked... down by the river ;)
OIP.b5TnanaxlQkV8MyGZd_SBgHaFQ

I just finished my 3rd interview for a position with an automotive company starting with the letter T. 16 hour relocation if I get an offer and accept. 4th and final already being scheduled. Role may eliminate my ability to trade and if so, I’ll stop commenting on the automotive industry.

• Sad

Thank you for sharing that history... It always helps to know the back ground of other;s in the discussions. There are several retired Ford people over on the Ford Truck Enthusiast web site. )..... In many conversations they "Pay it Forward" and, like you, give some information on the why and wear-fore of the trucks we are working on. I probably swear at the precious owners just as much as swearing at the engineers... The previous owner of my truck was from the J C Whitney generation.... It was a "Whitney Fan Boy" truck.

Reactions: S3th
I just finished my 3rd interview for a position with an automotive company starting with the letter T. 16 hour relocation if I get an offer and accept. 4th and final already being scheduled. Role may eliminate my ability to trade and if so, I’ll stop commenting on the automotive industry.
Hopefully you will build a safer EV....
AP23049834464975.jpg

Maybe you can let us know how the weather is in California.. Chilly in Montana today.
1677097201802.png

For the Tesla bulls:
Bright lights on Tesla: Tesla (TSLA) will hold an Investor Day event on March 1 in what could be one of the key days of the year for the electric vehicle giant. The event will be live streamed from the Gigafactory Texas site and is expected to include discussion on Tesla's long term expansion plans, generation 3 platform, and capital allocation. A tour of the Austin factory will be included for those in attendance in person. Naturally, analysts are buzzing over what Elon Musk and gang will highlight at the event. The automaker's "generation 3 platform" is anticipated to lead to cheaper electric vehicles in the future, although it is unclear if a new mass-market model will be unveiled. The tease about capital allocation has some investors focused details of a stock buyback plan. The third part of Tesla's Master Plan (following Part 1 in 2006 and Part 2 in 2016) will be a key part of the event. The next-gen Tesla Roadster, Cybertruck, new vehicle platform, autonomous driving applications, energy storage initiatives, charging network revenue potential, and Tesla robot could all be woven into the master plan. Oppenheimer thinks Tesla (TSLA) may be more granular with the Investor Day talk and delve into cost reduction efforts, manufacturing efficiency, progress on new products like a low-cost passenger vehicle and Semi, along with a more fulsome update on FSD. Bernstein thinks the Analyst Day is likely to provide some incremental details on the next-gen vehicle platform, but noted it is unclear that Tesla will be able to adequately address the concern of bears around timing. Goldman Sachs expects CEO Elon Musk to discuss in broad strokes what is needed for the world to transition to sustainable energy. Other key topics are anticipated to be FSD, the Optimus robot, financial drivers, including EBIT margins/opex leverage capital allocation, and energy storage. "We expect the transition to sustainable energy and the outlook for Tesla's Energy segment to be one of the most prominent parts of the event," previewed the firm. Of note, Tesla has said that the total addressable market for energy could be larger than automotive, and the company is in the process of ramping a 40 GWh Megafactory in Lathrop California for its utility scale Megapack product. For investors, shares of Tesla have a track record of rallying in front of a publicized event and trading back down after the reveals. Seeking Alpha contributor Jonathan Weber thinks any developments surfacing from Tesla's Investor Day may present mixed results for EV competitors Lucid Group (LCID) and BYD Company (OTCPK:BYDDF).

it goes down down down and the fire gets higher

now if it would only take old joe and his cronies with it .

Buffet is a times make the man. Anyone starting in crowd funding investments (essentially what he did) back in the 50s through the turn of century when USA had near half the global gdp couldn't have failed lol

So the takeaway is that Warren and Charlie don't do as well on a relative basis when the Fed pours free money into the market. Interesting.
I think it is a mixture of larger AUM = harder to maintain returns + their mix of investments. I don't think they will do well on a go forward basis.

Interesting thread analyzing the financials of a hypothetical Model 2:

I think the potential savings proposed here are excessively optimistic and I remain unconvinced that any compact car fits current market demands, but the approach is pretty good and so the content is more valuable than any random selection of 1000 Gary Black and Ross Gerber tweets.

Interesting thread analyzing the financials of a hypothetical Model 2:

I think the potential savings proposed here are excessively optimistic and I remain unconvinced that any compact car fits current market demands, but the approach is pretty good and so the content is more valuable than any random selection of 1000 Gary Black and Ross Gerber tweets.
I believe M2 would be a great introduction to Europe and lower-middle class America.

I was looking at the new Toyota Prius. Really nice refresh but after calculating how much I would save over ~4 years on gas amounts to $2K. M2 further extends this savings on service cost and energy cost.

I agree that Tesla needs a less expensive option. New car prices are crazy - people making $700 to $1000 car payments? I believe that a less expensive (even with less performance and range) Tesla would sell very well - especially if government incentives continue. I think it fits a niche similar to the Nissan Leaf when it was introduced - significant cheaper than other EVs and with just enough range for 80% of America uses (grocery store, short work commute, kids to school, and so on). Many Americans will end with multiple vehicles - traditional fuel ICE trucks or larger SUVs and an EV for errands, etc.

I agree that Tesla needs a less expensive option. New car prices are crazy - people making $700 to $1000 car payments? I believe that a less expensive (even with less performance and range) Tesla would sell very well - especially if government incentives continue. I think it fits a niche similar to the Nissan Leaf when it was introduced - significant cheaper than other EVs and with just enough range for 80% of America uses (grocery store, short work commute, kids to school, and so on). Many Americans will end with multiple vehicles - traditional fuel ICE trucks or larger SUVs and an EV for errands, etc.
car prices are high because they've created living room features on top of all the required bs. it's insane where car prices are