• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Fudd range rules?

Yeah that is always the one we are really getting on the line esp. during public days.

Why would a private range have days when it's open to the public? No club I belong to would ever consider such a thing.

The only times that private clubs allow non members in around here is to shoot a match of some sort. And the public is strictly limited to the times and places of the match. Go wandering around, or worse, try to use another range that's not part of the match, and you're gone.

Reactions: EddieNFL
308, I own my range outright, no grants or that kinda stuff. We are a private range, that does not do competitions, just training, however we do have classes the general public can sign up for. By having no "open to the public" hours, we attract much a better group of shooters vs a free for all at a public shooting pit.

308, I own my range outright, no grants or that kinda stuff. We are a private range, that does not do competitions, just training, however we do have classes the general public can sign up for. By having no "open to the public" hours, we attract much a better group of shooters vs a free for all at a public shooting pit.

Is this Meadhall Range in OK?

Why would a private range have days when it's open to the public? No club I belong to would ever consider such a thing.
Welcome back. Can you behave yourself for a hot minute 🤣

Well I can’t say I remember all the details but we do have a lease and charter with the county. (My recollection) This does have some stipulations. If memory serves public days are one of them.

Also we apply for grants that take out total traffic number into account. (Again my recollection)

Finally there is outreach. We do charge $10 per person so it is not free. So it raises money. Many visitors enjoy themselves and sign up for memberships. It also gets the word out about us and puts us in a benevolent light within the community.

I am a perfect example. I went with my brother to a public day. I hated ranges and just used public lands. I ended of loving this range so much I got a membership. Then after some, time the then President asked me if I would become a certified RSO. Eight years on, I try to contribute in a lot of small ways and I like to think the Range has benefited from having me as a member. It all started with a public day……

in most cases that is actually because ranges tend to get their insurance through the NRA...and the NRA requires the membership.

we used to have NRA insurance at our range until they started adding more and more fucked up requirements we needed to follow....so we told them to get fucked....
I've longed complained about this but this actually makes sense. I don't mind paying an additional 40 bucks now for an NRA membership. I'd rather it go to GOA or some other organization but if insurance is the reason why, then so be it.

I have lived in and around NYC my entire life, let's begin:
  • No holsters
  • No movement
  • No rapid fire, where rapid fire is more than 1 round per 3 seconds
  • No one that isn't licensed for a handgun in the state of NY can even TOUCH a handgun in this state. In other words, my wife had to go get her own pistol permit just to shoot with me.
  • Must buy all ammo on premises (no bringing your own, and their ammo was at a considerable markup)
  • And more than the rules, the lack of safety is the biggest problem.

• Must buy all ammo on premises (no bringing your own, and their ammo was at a considerable markup)

This one is annoying. My local indoor range allows you to bring your own ammo but you have to pay a $10 "inspection" fee. And if it doesn't pass their requirements, you have to buy their ammo.

• Angry
Reactions: camocorvette
I normally avoid public ranges like the plague, but there are times where I just gotta bite the bullet and go to one. For me it's the people at public ranges that annoy me, not the rules. 🙄

I couldn't agree more. I don't feel that safe visiting my public shooting ranges. Of course, I carry a handgun just to be safe but there are people who drink or smoke weed at my public shooting range and that makes me a little uncomfortable. Plus they leave trash everywhere and don't clean up after themselves. I'm actually part of an organization to help clean up public ranges: https://www.trashnoland.org/

• No holsters
  • No movement
  • No one that isn't licensed for a handgun in the state of NY can even TOUCH a handgun in this state. In other words, my wife had to go get her own pistol permit just to shoot with me.
Great reasons to move! :cool:

I'm a range officer at one of my clubs. Seems us Aussies have one over on you guys.

The range I shoot at has whatever rules or distance I feel like using on any given day....

B1B2D264-9B9B-41D7-88EF-059FABAF97A0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • No holsters
  • No movement
when did the ammo one start

the rest im used to for decades already

flip side, those same gun owners will not advance into enemy territory to help the less fortunate
I get your point but don’t really blame em. Sure, those of us behind enemy lines usually live in places with higher wages but that is more than offset by higher taxes, cost of living, shittier schools etc. The gun laws aren’t the only reason I want out of kali. I live in a truly beautiful area but the politics of sac are what they are. With so many fleeing, I would never expect anyone to come to our rescue other than the SCOTUS and I’m definitely skeptical about that. Even if everyone in Wyoming moved to kali, it wouldn’t matter.

Reactions: Baron23
I get your point but don’t really blame em. Sure, those of us behind enemy lines usually live in places with higher wages but that is more than offset by higher taxes, cost of living, shittier schools etc. The gun laws aren’t the only reason I want out of kali. I live in a truly beautiful area but the politics of sac are what they are. With so many fleeing, I would never expect anyone to come to our rescue other than the SCOTUS and I’m definitely skeptical about that. Even if everyone in Wyoming moved to kali, it wouldn’t matter.
i agree 100%, understand the reasoning and that some states are generations away from change if it started today

its the "if you leave your weak statement annoys me" type people

because the supposed super strong alpha 2A guys never advance but only complain about the retreat. hypocrites

Reactions: Baron23 and FWoo45
i agree 100%, understand the reasoning and that some states are generations away from change if it started today

its the "if you leave your weak statement annoys me" type people

because the supposed super strong alpha 2A guys never advance but only complain about the retreat. hypocrites
That’s why I’m still here. That and my folks will never move.

Reactions: brianf
Last time I was at a public range was years ago when I had to check the zero on a .270 before a hunt and grudgingly stopped at a local indoor range in S. Austin. The indoor pressure tube was full of shooters but I managed to squeeze off a few shots in between the other assholes blasting away screwed up my shot.

When I finished and was leaving I had to go back through a second door where some arrogant, surly lout that Texas seems to have no shortage of was sitting behind a counter, like the bartender in Lonesome Dove whose face Gus slammed on the bar.

He said "Next time wait until nobodys shooting when you open the door." I said GFY. He said "WHUT?" I said "You heard me, Bubba. Go fuck yourself." and walked out.

Last edited:
Then there was a mentally-ill pos called Crazy Richard that had an outdoor range west of Austin that didn't allow people who had paid to shoot make deals, buy / sell stuff between themselves without him being involved.

If you were shooting and someone on a bench was shooting a pre-64 Mod. 70 30-06 and you struck up a conversation and he offered to sell the rifle, Crazy Richard would 'run you off' his range for stealing his deal. All business transactions conducted on his range, he felt, were his and went through him. He also never bathed and reeked of BO.

Alcohol Schizophrenia and guns don't mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianf
Must be member of NRA to join.
That’s the situation on our local range. The range gets its insurance though the NRA so NRA membership is required.

I don’t mind being a member of the NRA, the magazine has a few articles I like to read every now and then….But the problem is, the NRA keeps begging for money. I do a two year membership just to keep from having to worry with it every year. Its not a month, hardly even a week after they get my money that they are already snail mailing and emailing begging me to extend my membership, make a donation or worse still, leave my inheritance to them.

I can’t imagine what they do with all the money they get. Like I said, the monthly magazine is not half bad way too much political stuff, but a good third, sometimes even half is firearm related, but this constant badgering for more and more cash gets old, quick.

But the next local range is 40 miles away, run by the next parishes sheriff department and has more rules than the length of the range in yards. (Nice enough chaps though, still pretty much useless except to sight in a .22)

This ^^

I told them to fuck off long ago for this and my absolute distrust of what Wayno is doing with the money.

Nope.
Problem, is be a member or drive a hundred miles to find a range that I can shoot at. Now, the far off range is a great range, but I like to shoot and a two hundred mile round trip is a trip!

Reactions: Baron23
This ^^

I told them to fuck off long ago for this and my absolute distrust of what Wayno is doing with the money.

Nope.

I became a life member maybe 25 years ago but haven't sent them a dime in five or six years. Every once in awhile I'll send back one of their pleas for cash with the note "You'll get my contribution when you get rid of Wayne and 90% of the board of directors." These days my contributions go to SAF and GOA.

Welcome back. Can you behave yourself for a hot minute 🤣

Well I can’t say I remember all the details but we do have a lease and charter with the county. (My recollection) This does have some stipulations. If memory serves public days are one of them.

Also we apply for grants that take out total traffic number into account. (Again my recollection)

Finally there is outreach. We do charge $10 per person so it is not free. So it raises money. Many visitors enjoy themselves and sign up for memberships. It also gets the word out about us and puts us in a benevolent light within the community.

I am a perfect example. I went with my brother to a public day. I hated ranges and just used public lands. I ended of loving this range so much I got a membership. Then after some, time the then President asked me if I would become a certified RSO. Eight years on, I try to contribute in a lot of small ways and I like to think the Range has benefited from having me as a member. It all started with a public day……

Interesting. Out here in the midwest we have zero reason to do any of that.

We have membership waiting lists. And the less government money we take, the better.

Reactions: Badjujuu
This ^^

Nope.
Some of the people from the NRA that called me I doubt were even gun owners, at least not legally, much less members.

Interesting. Out here in the midwest we have zero reason to do any of that.

This is Wyoming. There is no shortage of public land to shoot on.

We love our range and we love how it’s run. I choose to focus on gratitude for such an awesome resource and great people.

If I wanted to live in the “midwest” I’d live there. What a rich hell that would be……

Was at a range near Dallas a few years ago, wS told I couldn't shoot .338. Ok, fine, their range. The reason was the comical part... to quote, "because a .338 will fly so much farther than anything else; you miss the berm and someone in the next town is going to find it in their bowl of cereal!"

I became a life member maybe 25 years ago but haven't sent them a dime in five or six years. Every once in awhile I'll send back one of their pleas for cash with the note "You'll get my contribution when you get rid of Wayne and 90% of the board of directors." These days my contributions go to SAF and GOA.
Last time they called me I called Wayne a cocksucker and said they wouldn’t see a dime out of me until he was gone. Haven’t heard from em since. Old lady trying to pick out her produce next to me moved away pretty quick too. I don’t usually talk like that in public but I meant it.

I’m in New Zealand and would honestly put up with all of the range rules that have been listed.

Other than a few notable exceptions we don’t have any shooting ranges like the ones here, there are club ranges for shotgun, pistol, full bore, small bore, service rifle etc, but nothing you can just rock up with a boot load of guns and shoot whatever you want all day.

The few ”public” ranges that do exist are usually limited to about 200yards, maybe 300 if you are lucky.
Target shooting on public land is not allowed, even if it were there aren’t many places you could safely shoot at extended distances or have terrain that allowed for it.

All my shooting is done on private property which is usually a pain in the ass as you need to go set out target every time and try find somewhere to shoot that doesn’t have stock, crops or waist high grass to contend with.
And I am one of the lucky ones.

I heard rumor that ranges in NJ you are not allowed to shoot the firearm yourself. After you bring your weapon up to the bench an attendant must be the one to load and discharge the firearm. You get to keep the target but not the brass, hazardous residue. No point in taking a chance someone can get injured or ill. :sneaky: