• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Fudd range rules?

The dumbest rule I've ever seen in Arizona Made absolutely no sense to me but I didn't cause a fuss. So the entrance to the property, is from a highway. I pull off the highway and drive maybe a hundred yards on Blacktop back to the range parking lot which is paved. I unload my Pelican case and proceed to the window to check in with the range boss at the house. He asked me, what's wrong with you. I say, did I do something wrong. He says yes you did. I said please let me know, I apologize. He says As soon as you turn off the road, you have to put your safety glasses on. You have to always wear your safety glasses when you're at this range. I said gee that's interesting, you know some people have to wear eyeglasses to drive and here they're supposed to take their eyeglasses off and put their safety goggles on, and he says yes. He then goes on to a rant about how he watches every car with his binoculars as they pull onto the property and people must put their safety glasses on at that time as they are on property or they're in violation of the rules. Dick.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll preface this by saying that shotgun sports are fudd-central by definition. However, my son is shooting sporting clays today and was told by a station RO that he couldn’t wear his ball cap backwards.

For the longest time ASC in Houston wouldn't allow you to use suppressors. I think now with so many people having them they had to allow it.

It has come to my attention that there are ranges with really stupid rules? Having been born and raised in Wyoming, 90% of my shooting has been public lands, ie not a range. Now that I live in Cheyenne, very little public lands, it necessitated that I join a range, out west of town is a great outdoor range with the common basic and logical rules. Lots of handgun, shotgun and rifle bays with steel to 1000. Zero issues.

But I just read some really stupid stuff that happens at other ranges? Shooting speed limit? Must be trained at the range to carry that gun while at the range? Must listen to some Fudd boomer line Nazi on whatever he decides is relevant? What country do you guys live in?

And I want to hear your best/worst stories and rules. Go.
Nice range. When I lived there it only went to 750 due to the power lines. Still have video of the last time the power lines were shot and started a fire. They still issuing gate cards to get in? I loved shooting there. Only had a couple ass hats ever show up but everyone else was very nice.

The county range here in Reno is run by a bunch of Nazi Assholes. But lots of public land to shoot, so we just set up the courses on BLM land and hang our own steel. We shoot in a private club that has its own area, not a part of the public range. The match directors do not get along with the public range managers either. You would think they would since the private clubs bring in the $$.

Reactions: Bender
For the longest time ASC in Houston wouldn't allow you to use suppressors. I think now with so many people having them they had to allow it.
When did they make the switch? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them on the line since I’ve been going there- circa 2011…

The dumbest rule I've ever seen in Arizona Made absolutely no sense to me but I didn't cause a fuss. So the entrance to the property, is from a highway. I pull off the highway and drive maybe a hundred yards on Blacktop back to the range parking lot which is paved. I unload my Pelican case and proceed to the window to check in with the range boss at the house. He asked me, what's wrong with you. I say, did I do something wrong. He says yes you did. I said please let me know, I apologize. He says As soon as you turn off the road, you have to put your safety glasses on. You have to always wear your safety glasses when you're at this range. I said gee that's interesting, you know some people have to wear eyeglasses to drive and here they're supposed to take their eyeglasses off and put their safety goggles on, and he says yes. He then goes on to a rant about how he watches every car with his binoculars as they pull onto the property and people must put their safety glasses on at that time as they are on property or they're in violation of the rules. Dick.
Do glasses not count as safety glasses? I could see shit without my glasses these days. I mean lenses are polycarbonate, same shit, even thicker than safety glasses so...

When did they make the switch? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them on the line since I’ve been going there- circa 2011…
It's been a while. I have been shooting suppressed since 07 or so and people bitched about it then. So probably 11 or so. But then again, not a lot of people had them. I always shot at Impact or Bayou for that reason. I just really hate going to ASC unless it's at 600. It's just too unsafe at 100 yards.

Reactions: hlee

You gotta wonder about the mental illness some of these people have. That shit just isn't normal.

Just reupped my membership. Not cheap, $418, but no ROs, 100 yard indoors (was the only one when I joined), and NO talking to other shooters. There is the one guy who always seems to be there when I go. But the no talking rule...

Just reupped my membership. Not cheap, $418, but no ROs, 100 yard indoors (was the only one when I joined), and NO talking to other shooters. There is the one guy who always seems to be there when I go. But the no talking rule...
I like a no talking rule.
A polite nod is good enough.
And stay away from my brass!

The asshole that runs my range better not let me catch him outside alone.
830C9170-BECA-4CEF-95F1-E760FB3D10EE.jpeg

Reactions: nikonNUT
Was dialing in a new AR from the bench, slow fire. The RO came over the PA that only 3 rounds at a time are allowed in a magazine.
I felt safer immediately.:rolleyes: I wondered if that applied to tubular mag .22 rimfire.

Michigan had a rule only 1 round in any firearm on any public range. (This was some time ago--20 years)

Also a bonus rule: You could not transport your handgun unless you had proof of valid membership with a shooting club. (as in PERIOD--not unloaded, not cased. NO EXCEPTIONS).

So technically everyone who only shot their handguns at public ranges without a valid membership in a private range was guilty of a felony. (Illegal Concealed Carry). It was a fun day when I went to my first match at the with the Michigan State Police--they all asked me why I didn't load my mags ahead of time.....

I said lets think about this:
(1) Its illegal to have a loaded magazine in your car
(2) Its illegal for me to even transport my firearm unloaded and encased because I don't have a valid membership in a private range
(3) I'm going to a match that is 95% Police Officers.

They laughed and laughed and then put me in prison.....

Ok I made the prison part up.

Nice range. When I lived there it only went to 750 due to the power lines. Still have video of the last time the power lines were shot and started a fire. They still issuing gate cards to get in? I loved shooting there. Only had a couple ass hats ever show up but everyone else was very nice.

The county range here in Reno is run by a bunch of Nazi Assholes. But lots of public land to shoot, so we just set up the courses on BLM land and hang our own steel. We shoot in a private club that has its own area, not a part of the public range. The match directors do not get along with the public range managers either. You would think they would since the private clubs bring in the $$.
Yes, when I first joined it only went to 700 yards but they must’ve got the powerlines moved back because it’s steel out to 1000 yards now.

Reactions: John Glidewell
Rio? Sounds like rio. I used to frequent there, never had that issue. But i have had them take a magnet to match ammo, they get REAL pissy about concealed weapons and no touching your range bag on a cold range.

The last one really got to me. Officer said: how do we know you don’t have a gun in there? To which I replied Well what does it matter if the range is hot or cold if i am phishing around in a bag? If i ND on a hot range everyone is bunched up at the line or on benches, cold range half of everyone is down the line. An ND would be worse on a hot range, and hardly anyone would notice because of the noise. He say “the rules are the rules, if you don’t like them, go somewhere else”. That is the topper when they cannot argue their point. So i went down and canceled my membership.

Everyone remember Tex Grebner? He is the guy in the video standing at a target and trying to quick draw and has an ND into his right leg. "I just fucking shot myself!"

He later made a follow-up video about the injury and what went wrong. He was using his Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP and was using Blackhawk Serpa holster that he had used successfully before. But he did not practice dry fire drills with this gun in this holster. Nothing wrong with it. Totally operator error. And he is a certified firearms instructor.

Doesn't matter. A long range near me has a rule that you cannot use or even wear a Serpa holster. Not even a "serpa-esque" holster. If caught with it, you will be asked to leave and never return. I am not kidding. Possibly they think that if an expert in firearms as a problem with it, the not quite bright enough to tie shoes guy will also have a problem with it.

I look back and see that most range rules came from customers that did stupid things.

Last edited:
I was a range officer/nazi at an outdoor range for many years. Most of the rules are because of stupid shooters.

A guy set tannerite on gravel, 25 yards from the bench, and shot it. The explosion sent gravel everywhere, impacting shooters and their guns.

There are holes in the shooting benches, roof, and target stands because of the stupidity.

They won't let people shoot anything they want to bring anymore after one guy brought a propane bottle and shot it at 10 yards. The bullet ricochet hit him in the forehead.

It's kind of like highways. 55 MPH is about the speed that everyone can drive. Many could handle a faster limit but for the short bus riders, they have to slow it down.

Was it the whole projectile or the copper jacket? I’ve been been hit with jackets shooting steel wasnt a big deal.

Was it the whole projectile or the copper jacket? I’ve been been hit with jackets shooting steel wasnt a big deal.
Not sure as I wasn't there. All I know is our insurance premium went up because of that and other stupidity.

The guy made a big deal out of it and threatened to sue us so we had to report it.

Reactions: Ronws
Not sure as I wasn't there. All I know is our insurance premium went up because of that and other stupidity.

The guy made a big deal out of it and threatened to sue us so we had to report it.
I’d bet it was the jacket. I’ve been hit in the face twice, nuts, and stomach a few times it’s always when you get a couple steps too close, was definitely the shooters fault

I took my handguns with me to Florida once when I was visiting my brother. We went to a local range where we had to wait for a time slot it was so busy, I brought my 357 mag and were shooting 38 specials that I had reloaded. The range said no reloads but these were in factory boxes and were nothing fancy. But the on-duty range officer came up to me as soon as I started shooting and said those are reloads aren’t they. I was honest and said yes they were but I asked him how he knew, he said he could smell the gun powder, 700x shotgun powder. It blew my mind. That’s exactly what I had loaded, he said I was ok because it seemed like I knew what I was doing lol. And then just walked away.

I took my handguns with me to Florida once when I was visiting my brother. ....
We didn't have any rules about reloads when I was an RO but we thought about it after a guy blew his Savage to smithereens.

He was shooting with one hand holding the top of the scope when the gun blew up. Luckily his brother was there to take him to the hospital because he needed stitches. It was a 7mm mag if I remember correctly and he must have loaded it with a super fast powder.

He had bought it from a locaI shop that I knew the owner. He tried to return it to the shop and the owner told him no way. It was in about 10 different pieces and he sent it all back to Savage and they sent him a new gun.

Went to a private range here that wanted to file a your signature on range rules with a copy of your driver's license, license plate, height, weight, eye color, address, email address, phone number to use the range.

When I asked why they wanted all of that information the guy working the counter said "the County Sheriff wants to know who is using the range". After that I packed my stuff and left.

• Haha
Reactions: Pbgt and Bender
I've seen some of these dumb assed rules at ranges near Tampa.

Fuck that dumb shit.

I shoot at JTAC Ranch.
We have 4 different areas to shoot.
0-100yds. No running and gunning. Drawing and mag changes are okay. No speed limit or mag limit.
Full auto is encouraged.

Run and gun bay. 0-100
It's exactly what it says. You can run and gun and mag change all you want.

0-500 steel and paper targets. Prone, benches and positional are all okay.

0-2000yds steel and paper. Benches, prone, positional, etc... No speed limits, no mag limits, no caliber restrictions.

We self RO

PM inbound.

dumbest thing ever

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Do glasses not count as safety glasses? I could see shit without my glasses these days. I mean lenses are polycarbonate, same shit, even thicker than safety glasses so...
probably should be ansi z87 rated. there's a big difference. not all polycarbonate is created equal.

but obviously you shouldn't have to wear them as you're driving up to the range. the only time I get on people about wearing safety glasses is when someone is shooting steel targets at a relatively close range.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
probably should be ansi z87 rated. there's a big difference. not all polycarbonate is created equal.

but obviously you shouldn't have to wear them as you're driving up to the range. the only time I get on people about wearing safety glasses is when someone is shooting steel targets at a relatively close range.
For the most part, I agree with you.

But let me state here, why almost 30 years ago, my view (pun intended) on this topic changed.

I had a catastrophic dis-assembly happen one day when shooting at a gravel-pit. I was by myself, but there were 2 other pairs there. One pair were shooting 10/22's at a bunch of cans, and the other pair (~50 yds behind us) were shooting clay pigeons with a 10 gauge.

When my bolt-action .22 explodicated, the shrapnel of the chamber came into my face, deflected up my sunglasses, and some parts imbedded into my forehead. (under the skin) And they ALL came running to me, because the sound was SO LOUD that they couldn't believe it.

I had to go and get all that removed/cleaned out.

ALL THIS, FROM A SIMPLE LITTLE COOEY model 600 BOLT ACTION REPEATER.

So yeah, whenever anyone is with me, eye protection is ALWAYS needed. Not being a nazi about it or anything, just a simple rule. You only get 1 pair of eyes, and there's no warranty on them.

And yeah, you never know WHAT can happen. In my case, I didn't know that there was a recall on that ammo. (Again, pun intended)

I moonlight as an RSO at an indoor range.

The simple rules we have are no firerarms handling outside the booth, no steel case/core ammo, and a few others.

The stupidity of people though, I need to write a book. It makes me question humanity on so many levels...Ive seen stupid shit that leaves me speechless

The simple rules we have are no firerarms handling outside the booth, no steel case/core ammo, and a few others.

The stupidity of people though, I need to write a book. It makes me question humanity on so many levels...Ive seen stupid shit that leaves me speechless
One look at the panels making up the booths and anywhere else in the room at the indoor range is all the evidence anyone would need to know that people for the most part are very stupid, and that couple with a firearm in their hands makes them a danger to all those around them. Granted - everybody starts out not knowing how to handle them safely, and needs to be educated, but some of these people have obviously been shooting a long time and should know better.

One look at the panels making up the booths and anywhere else in the room at the indoor range is all the evidence anyone would need to know that people for the most part are very stupid, and that couple with a firearm in their hands makes them a danger to all those around them. Granted - everybody starts out not knowing how to handle them safely, and needs to be educated, but some of these people have obviously been shooting a long time and should know better.
Thankfully we don’t have but a few holes in the ceiling in the booths.

We did have some fudd ND his 380 at the back table, then deny he shot the table even after showing him the video of him doing it.

I’ve also seen a lady throw her loaded gun on the ground out of frustration because it “wasn’t working”…

A range I used (later bought out and remodeled and I still go there) have specific reasons to not leave gun loaded or worse, keeping it in your hand while visiting with people behind you. My LTC (Texas License to Carry) instructor pointed out a new pane of glass between the range and the showroom. A yahoo took out that glass because he thought it was okay to turn around away from the range with a loaded gun in his hand and his finger on the trigger.

Proof that God loves stupid people because He made so many of them.

Thankfully we don’t have but a few holes in the ceiling in the booths.

We did have some fudd ND his 380 at the back table, then deny he shot the table even after showing him the video of him doing it.

I’ve also seen a lady throw her loaded gun on the ground out of frustration because it “wasn’t working”…
Has she never seen the 'stair scene' from True Lies?

why no steel case? because you fudds want the brass?

• Haha
Reactions: jpop8807
steel core makes sense, to preserve their backstop. but steel case, I don't understand the reasoning.
Could be they just associate all steel case with steel core- which is not totally unfair. Could be they want to avoid sorting brass before it goes to the recycler.

the last time I sold scrap, 50 lbs of brass sold for about $60. Fifty lbs of steel was just over a dollar. Not sure how the treat mixed steel/brass but I assume they just say “if there’s a little steel, it’s all steel.”

Could be they just associate all steel case with steel core- which is not totally unfair. Could be they want to avoid sorting brass before it goes to the recycler.

the last time I sold scrap, 50 lbs of brass sold for about $60. Fifty lbs of steel was just over a dollar. Not sure how the treat mixed steel/brass but I assume they just say “if there’s a little steel, it’s all steel.”
but it's easy to separate the steel casings with a magnet. ammo is expensive enough as it is and not allowing steel case ammo in my opinion is warrantless

Reactions: RedBaron
but it's easy to separate the steel casings with a magnet. ammo is expensive enough as it is and not allowing steel case ammo in my opinion is warrantless
It’s easy if you have a little bit. It’s more of a pain in the ass if you have an entire range worth to sort, every day. I had 24x5 gal buckets to sort, and it was a pain. Even more of a pain if you have to pay someone to sort it. Their range. Their rules. You can shoot whatever you want on your range. Probably cheaper just to buy an indoor range and shoot your own steel cased ammo.

I bought a case of 5.56 steel cased ammo 20 years ago. I finally bought an Arsenal 106. However, now I'm a firm believer in Newton's Law Of Motion in regard to ammo. Ammo that stays in the house will be available when it's needed. Ammo that's shot at the range, will not be available in the house when needed.

Must only shoot from the bench
No rapid fire
No shooting prone, sitting, or standing

It depends on the construction of the backstop. And what is beyond it. One range I go to has a company on the other side of the berms. So the rifle part of the range does not allow fmj. Bullets need to expand and slow down on impact. Also at that range there is no shooting rifles off hand because you don't need to accidentally send one too far.

I once had an ND. And I fit the profile. Male and in 50s, shooting guns since I was a kid. I learned some hard lessons. And it starts first with not being satisfied that "at least no one was injured." That is complacency and it leads to tragedy. I looked through my manuals and watched several videos to clear what was over gassing. Not a single time did there arise an instruction to have your finger on the trigger.

Keep your damn finger off of the trigger. Period, paragraph, end of book, forever, amen.