• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Fudd range rules?

They want to make sure we, at least half-ass, know what we're doing. They don't want some jackleg shooting over the berm, or trying to walk it in by trial and error.

Our range also has the assault deck, a range specifically set up for ARs and AKs. 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard steel targets. Rapid fire all you want.

Nice thing about ours is there's state trust land behind it for 8 miles. We lease by the day for long range matches to get out to 1500, but on a normal day anyone launching an air ball can't possibly hit anything but grass.

Pretty fortunate on our rules. Basically no full auto, only paper targets on the target frames. Considering we are surrounded by the city now, it’s great to have a 7yd-200yd this close. That’s the reason for the paper targets only. Too much risk surrounding us. Membership dues have gone up to $100 a year, considering gas prices it’s still cheap. I shoot steel on the National Grasslands.

Reactions: Bender
I can't even remember where this was now, but I went to shoot with a friend at his range one day. We were switching from rifle to pistol, ranges were near each other (outdoor range, same parking lot) I put the rifle in the car, grabbed the pistol, went over hung a target was about to load up and shoot...

The RO was like, where is your hat? I am like huh? My friend said oh yeah you need a hat to shoot pistols here
so I started laughing, thought that was a joke, but it wasn't

I had a hat in the car, I went and got it and put it on, but I asked why? seemed odd
The RO said they had problems there where someone shooting had hot brass fly into their shirt, which then caused a panic and an ND. They said the hat prevents that
:D :D :D :D :D

Face Palm

I can't even remember where this was now, but I went to shoot with a friend at his range one day. We were switching from rifle to pistol, ranges were near each other (outdoor range, same parking lot) I put the rifle in the car, grabbed the pistol, went over hung a target was about to load up and shoot...

The RO was like, where is your hat? I am like huh? My friend said oh yeah you need a hat to shoot pistols here

I had a hat in the car, I went and got it and put it on, but I asked why? seemed odd
The RO said they had problems there where someone shooting had hot brass fly into their shirt, which then caused a panic and an ND. They said the hat prevents that

Face Palm
Situational awareness and caution go a long in preventing that.......

Plus, not being a macho dumb shit and putting a fully loaded .44 Magnum in the hands of your new squeeze.

Click on pic/link.

What a fucking tragedy.

• Sad
Reactions: Bender and Jgault
Must be member of NRA to join.
yeah-thats-gonna-be-a-no.gif

I've been around some stupid rules but I mainly don't like going to the range because there is always some lonely dipshit that is there mainly to socialize who knows so much about how to shoot and sight in and is able to quote to you velocities from various combinations of components for pretty much every caliber ever imagined. Ours is a regular. Shooter as well as regular dipshit. I use to be polite and engage a little and hint I wanted to shoot but now I just tell the dipshit that I am here to actually shoot and not listen to the bullshit he is spewing. The first time I did that, he sorta laughed uncomfortably but took the not so subtle hint. The second time he said, "No need to be rude." So I told him that, indeed, I did have to be rude because he was too fucking stupid to take polite hints. He has never spoken to me again but I still have to hear him discuss his stupidity with anyone who will give him a few seconds. The only time I ever get involved is if he is telling some new shooter bad info, then I tell them to watch him shoot, watch others shoot and make up their own minds who they should listen to. Plus, this dipshit is an RO sometimes.
I mainly go to BLM, State or National forest or other public land and kill rocks.

A range I’ve been to once near me. No fmj, no ak’s that the bolt doesn’t hold open, magazines must be unloaded when entering the range(if not loaded magazines must be unloaded in the presence of the range officer), all ammo inspected before entering range, firing limit 1 or 2 seconds in between shots depending on who’s watching the range. I’m not young anymore but it was like the range equivalent of a retirement home. My range now has just a few rules, no tracers, no 50 cal, act like a idiot you eill be asked to leave.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
There is an outdoor range here that doesn’t allow more than 1 round in a magazine at a time.

Another outdoor range that sets a 1 sec between shots speed limit.

Was al an indoor range this afternoon that lets pretty much anyone go ‘full send’ on whatever they brought in, or rent. FA rentals are pretty inexpensive. Only “fudd rule” is no steel or bimetal projectiles…

Lot's of stupid rules at my local range. Sample:
  • Can't walk down range to change targets while people are still shooting
  • No incendiary rounds
  • Can't shoot buckshot at the plywood target holder
  • 50 bmg is max caliber
That sounds like our range.
Add:
No steel core ammo on the metal targets
No drinking alcohol
Must have eye and ear protection
Crazy stuff like that.

Face Palm
How does a hat help that? It doesn't fly 6ft in the air and then fall in

Situational awareness and caution go a long in preventing that.......

Plus, not being a macho dumb shit and putting a fully loaded .44 Magnum in the hands of your new squeeze.

Click on pic/link.

What a fucking tragedy.

I very much know what you mean, allot of indoor ranges I’ve been to that rent guns the walls look like Beruit. Some guys just think it’s hysterical to rent a scar and have their gf who’s never shot a gun before fire it.

Have you shot at Altus ? Both are great ranges. Some really good shooters at element, USPSA and steel not to mention 2 gun.
No I have not been to Altus but hear good things. A little further up so time wise Element works better for me. I know they build/assemble some nice rifles @Altus.

I’ve watched a few matches but haven’t participated in any of them yet, definitely some knowledgeable people running around those parts. I am still a newbie at this.

Before reading through all of the comments, the SSAA Brisbane branch in Australia is one of the worst fudd ranges I was ever a member of.

Single feed only. No muzzle brakes.

Thank god I no longer live there.

Face Palm

Fuck. How will a hat prevent hot brass getting in places? My wife got some hot brass down her shirt at a pistol competition and kept shooting. She was screaming in pain but finished and then took her shirt off and shook it out. Last time she wore anything at the range with cleavage!!!

One shot every X seconds

No drawing from a holster

Those are my two top choices, how the hell to you promote people training to defend themselves if they are basically reduced to bench rest fudd shooting their pistols?

Sadly it seems ROed ranges are taking over, as a kid I used to just go out into the desert and go shoot however and whatever I wanted, just clean up after

I've been around some stupid rules but I mainly don't like going to the range because there is always some lonely dipshit that is there mainly to socialize who knows so much about how to shoot and sight in and is able to quote to you velocities from various combinations of components for pretty much every caliber ever imagined. Ours is a regular. Shooter as well as regular dipshit. I use to be polite and engage a little and hint I wanted to shoot but now I just tell the dipshit that I am here to actually shoot and not listen to the bullshit he is spewing. The first time I did that, he sorta laughed uncomfortably but took the not so subtle hint. The second time he said, "No need to be rude." So I told him that, indeed, I did have to be rude because he was too fucking stupid to take polite hints. He has never spoken to me again but I still have to hear him discuss his stupidity with anyone who will give him a few seconds. The only time I ever get involved is if he is telling some new shooter bad info, then I tell them to watch him shoot, watch others shoot and make up their own minds who they should listen to. Plus, this dipshit is an RO sometimes.
I mainly go to BLM, State or National forest or other public land and kill rocks.
This is pretty much me. I hate dealing with people. It’s why I stopped posting in the threads outside the pit. I can’t take the stupid anymore

Required safety training, NRA membership, must qualify with handgun, must qualify to shoot to 700 hrs. No run and gun allowed, only static shooting. One range requires you qualify each fucking time. Must qualify at 100,200,300 before you can shoot out to 600. No shit like an entire box of ammo just to be able to shoot what you came for. Ridiculous.

Some of the local Antigun folks will just drive into the damn live fire range at Times because they want us shut down. Got to watch out for that shit. Range has nice security and gate but they leave the fucking thing open 75% of the time. I don’t even know why they gives us key cards.

You've had 3 hrs and this is the best troll attempt you can come up with???

Come on dude you aren't even trying anymore.
I see you are trying hard . Don't worry, nobody gives a fuck about you.

My home range is self serve. Membership gets a code to the gate....go when you want to 8-9 and 12-9 Sundays. High/Low skeet field with an elevated wobble trap, 300 yd rifle, 2 pistol bays with reactive targets. generally only see 1 or 2 people if any when I go. Main range for me is a pistol range and cow pasture rifle range at the house. Fudds just cannot help but Fudd. A very little authority goes a long way for those needy of being in charge in some part of their life. The range socilaizers and unsolicited advice givers I cannot get far enough away. I do feel for those that just can't shoot anywhere else but the Fudd hubs.

We have new rules at out club/range after yesterdays vote . Pot smoking is now allowed, and welcomed with open arms. . Hell, we may even grow some weed on the property . Mostly thinking of cannabis grown for pain . Our little way to get people off those pills that are so popular with you folks . No more smoking at the bench though . The tobacco guys cried . I hope the dumb fucks all quit , that tobacco shit is bad for everyone .

• Wow
Reactions: x2cross

Face Palm

At Manatee they had to implement a "no low cut V neck shirts for women" rule.
A stabby-type filly was wearing one and caught the hot brass right between the fun bags. She panicked and shot her BF in the leg....

It has come to my attention that there are ranges with really stupid rules? Having been born and raised in Wyoming, 90% of my shooting has been public lands, ie not a range. Now that I live in Cheyenne, very little public lands, it necessitated that I join a range, out west of town is a great outdoor range with the common basic and logical rules. Lots of handgun, shotgun and rifle bays with steel to 1000. Zero issues.

But I just read some really stupid stuff that happens at other ranges? Shooting speed limit? Must be trained at the range to carry that gun while at the range? Must listen to some Fudd boomer line Nazi on whatever he decides is relevant? What country do you guys live in?

And I want to hear your best/worst stories and rules. Go.
Stupid range bullshit Fuddery is the #1 reason I left TX to go to AZ. My pistol/carbine spot is 12 minute drive. Long range spots are 20-30 minute drive depending on what distance I wanna get out to.

@TheGerman is 5 hour drive in case I need his wife to yell at me for making him drink too much moonshine I bootleg in from NV/AZ.

A stabby-type filly was wearing one and caught the hot brass right between the fun bags. She panicked and shot her BF in the leg....
I probably shouldn’t laugh at this, but…
1654516800129.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jpop8807 and Two36
The Rifle Club I belong to is pretty tough to beat from a features and safety perspective - I have met very few (almost none) of the typical know it all types that have to coach other shooters even though they are not seen shooting. My only gripes about the rules are that we must be NRA members to belong and prove it at renewal time and there is no concealed carry allowed which just floors me - an NRA only rifle club that makes it's private members disarm and leave their concealed carry guns in the vehicle.

To me, that's about as Fudd as it gets.....an NRA Members Only Private Rifle Club that forbids concealed carry on premises. You can't even open carry/holster a loaded gun. All guns must be loaded only on the firing line. Can't load magazines off of the line.

Good thing the facilities are outstanding and well maintained.

VooDoo

Must be member of NRA to join.

Worst rule there is.

I suggested being a member of any "approved" org. Nope not even close. They know where the money comes from.....well the money that is not going into Wayne and his board members pockets.

Reactions: ewoaf
Wow. Australia doesnt have it as bad as some of you. One of the ranges i attend has a STUPID "hang fire" rifle. If you fire on an empty chamber accidently, you must wait 30secs to unload or clear it. Its unsafe, it could ignite 25 seconds later aparently.
And to make it more annoying, it was mandated on us by SSAA (NRA basically). No other club at the complex has a hangfire rule, only out club.

Plenty of other clubs in Aus are fudded-up. I dont join or attend those clubs.

As for 50 cals, I prefer it when ranges have specific "days" or "time blocks" for those. You can be 10 stalls down and still no amount of ear protection helps when the muzzle brake is attached (which it always is). Plus it becomes such a spectacle and everyone swarms around the guy shooting hoping he offers to let them shoot or just to watch the super cool engine block gun fire. The shooter is rarely ever accurate, too.

338 rifles aren't much different, but the shooters are typically actually capable of firing accurately long range.

Reactions: jpop8807
I don't have any issues with whatever rules the public ranges implement.
Some of the ROs are Nazis.
But after seeing who they have to deal with every day - I kinda get it.
I'm scared shitless of the idiots that frequent public ranges.... because we're not supposed to shoot back.
IF I have a choice - I'll drive 100 miles out into the desert before dealing with other people.

As for 50 cals, I prefer it when ranges have specific "days" or "time blocks" for those. You can be 10 stalls down and still no amount of ear protection helps when the muzzle brake is attached (which it always is). Plus it becomes such a spectacle and everyone swarms around the guy shooting hoping he offers to let them shoot or just to watch the super cool engine block gun fire. The shooter is rarely ever accurate, too.

338 rifles aren't much different, but the shooters are typically actually capable of firing accurately long range.

I was doing some load workup on my 338 Norma the other day at the 100 yard range, and a guy chose to sit down in the bay next to me. I politely let him know I was shooting a braked 338 and he might want to choose one of the bays a little further away. He was one of those guys, saying oh no, the more muzzle blast the better, fire away!!

He moved away after a couple of rounds. :)

I don't have any issues with whatever rules the public ranges implement.
Some of the ROs are Nazis.
But after seeing who they have to deal with every day - I kinda get it.
I'm scared shitless of the idiots that frequent public ranges.... because we're not supposed to shoot back.
IF I have a choice - I'll drive 100 miles out into the desert before dealing with other people.
agreed.
i have not personally had issues with an ro that was a dick, and can understand rules meant to account for idiots.

The local indoor range has the same rules. No low cut shirts and no sandals. Considering how many new shooters end up walking through there on any given day, it's a good rule. The stalls are really good at bouncing brass back into you. With normal clothes it wasn't uncommon to get a few going down my shirt.

No .50 BMGs at the range I go to in Southern AZ. Backstop at the range is a mountain.

How does a hat help that? It doesn't fly 6ft in the air and then fall in

apparently at this particular range they have trained all the brass to deflect off the brim of a baseball cap

:D :D :D

I have no idea, that is why it's posted here.
I think this is a case of WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!! and so some range genius took a week off of his Mensa group meetings and came up with this.

At least they didn't demand everyone wear a turtleneck sweater....

• Haha
Reactions: Mike_in_FL
My little range is $40.00/year and anything goes but .50BMG, steel, don't shoot the wildlife (There is this one squirrel at 200 yards I've been gunning for!) and cussing. Only 200 yards and the owner once told me she didn't know I was there cuz' I was shooting suppressed .22. She told me to mind the deer that wander out to graze.

Reactions: jpop8807