• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Stupid question of the week. Lands too far away?

ashiha

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Arizona
I have an R700 SPS with the small contour 24" barrel. Until now, I have been just loading my 168s (SMKs and Berger Hybrids) to the same OAL as the FGMM. I don't load for maximum velocity so I figured that it would be okay. I tried taking a measurement of my chamber by lightly placing a bullet in the chamber, measuring how far away from the crown it sits with a cleaning rod, then placing a round in and doing the same, then comparing the difference. I have also tried placing a bullet into a fired case, loading it in, and taking it out and measuring. This method results in no contact with the lands whatsoever. The first method gives me a result of 3.08" OAL consistently which is WAY too far.

Has anyone seen something like this? I'm not too concerned considering I will have to rebarreled soon enough, but it's confusing to say the least.

Rifle: Remington 700 SPS (27359)
Barrel: Stock
~800-1000 rounds through it.

It's a common occurrence with Rem factory 308's, stick with jumping your chosen bullet at standard seating depths.

Yup, mine is the same, a 168MK is touching the lands at an oal of 2.945", shoots best at 2.825".
s5mDIwx.jpg