• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid question time - Neck sizing

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I'm getting started loading for my .223AI. I'm new to neck sizing and was wondering about lube. I use imperial sizing wax when bumping the shoulder on my .308 brass, should I be using it on the necks of the .223? I tried a couple dry and they seem to size easily without anything on them but I don't want to mess anything up or reduce the life of my brass.

TIA

Re: Stupid question time - Neck sizing

I usually use Wilson neck dies, (no expander ball) and only use about .0015 neck tension and I don't use any lube. If you wanted more tension, I guess I would go by how it felt, try it with and without lube and if there wasn't any difference, I'd foret the lube.
myerfire

Neck sizing only with a standard full length die, set as to not bump the shoulder w/ expander?

If so...

I would be concerned with the cases that may contact the shoulder, as they would be the ones likly to get stuck, with "light" duty resizing like this I would consider an aerosol lube for ease of use. Be it "OneShot" Dillon or Frankford Arsenal.

If you are using a bushing type die and no expander I think you could run dry with the option of lubing every 5th or 10th case just to get a small amount into play..

It's a bushing die, thanks for the input so far.

I use coated bushings and I lube every case with Imperial

If you use the TiN (Titanium Nitrate) bushings, you do not even have to lube them.

I'm using the Dillon spray, I but barely bump my shoulders when I neck size. I was using Hornady Oneshot until recently, but like the Dillon lube better. I still use Imperial for bigger sizing jobs, but spray is so much easier and quicker for light duty.

If only resizing the neck with neck sizing only dies, then you don not need to use lube. Only when you re-size the body or bump the shoulder, do you need to use lube.

I'm sure there are some people that lube the necks, but in my several thousand reloads on .308 and .243AI, I've never lubed the necks when neck sizing.

If only resizing the neck with neck sizing only dies, then you don't need to use lube. Only when you re-size the body or bump the shoulder, do you need to use lube.

I'm sure there are some people that lube the necks, but in my several thousand reloads on .308 and .243AI, I've never lubed the necks when neck sizing and have had no problem.

I use TiN coated bushings, without lube on the neck.
If sizing the body, lube on the body is a must.