• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sunday is range day

Flint62a1

Private
Minuteman
Got the M-40 out today. I wasn’t happy with the original load 40.5 I 4895 and an LCcase
These are the same, LC case fed primer and IMR4895. L-R 40.7 41 41.2 41.5
100 yards off the bench
B0322D43-5F4E-4735-9903-682D61B1F4FB.jpeg
4A1E9330-9860-4DA1-BBBE-3D31E0EB4A53.jpeg

(y) Good looking rifle! Bottom left looks like the winner. Which bullets? Have you tried adjusting the seating depth yet? I sent my R700 action into Patriot Valley Arms for a new barrel install with an M24 contour. I'm looking forward to having it back for new load development.

Reactions: Flint62a1
Your build looks nice. Bottom left target looks good, was that 41.2 of I-4895 with 168 SMK and Federal Match primer? Just curious.

Yea bottom left is the 41.2 load IMR 4895 LC118lr brass fed 210 primer and a Sierra 168 match king
I wanted to try amd duplicate the LC 66 load but it wasn’t shooting very well and I kicked up the powder charge a bit.
Thanks, Kevin

(y) Good looking rifle! Bottom left looks like the winner. Which bullets? Have you tried adjusting the seating depth yet? I sent my R700 action into Patriot Valley Arms for a new barrel install with an M24 contour. I'm looking forward to having it back for new load development.
I havent played with the seating depth at all in truth I wanted to stay with the standard 2.280 308 OAL.

Reactions: ColinW
I havent played with the seating depth at all in truth I wanted to stay with the standard 2.280 308 OAL.

Well, now that you've found an optimal powder charge weight, it may be beneficial to adjust the seating depth a bit. I did that with my .308 R700 shooting 175 SMK's and it shrunk the group even more. What you've got there certainly works, just tossing out ideas! :) I find my optimal charge weight, then adjust the seating depth, after that....It's off to longer distances.

Well, now that you've found an optimal powder charge weight, it may be beneficial to adjust the seating depth a bit. I did that with my .308 R700 shooting 175 SMK's and it shrunk the group even more. What you've got there certainly works, just tossing out ideas! :) I find my optimal charge weight, then adjust the seating depth, after that....It's off to longer distances.
I guess that means I have to go back to the range and shoot it some more.
The struggle is real!

I guess that means I have to go back to the range and shoot it some more.
The struggle is real!

Hey brother....Someone has to do it, ya know? I did seating depth adjustments with both 175 SMKs and 175 Berger VLD's. The VLD won for smallest group. Which I'm only partially upset with, because they cost a fair bit more than Sierra's to shoot. The price we pay for better bullets with superior external ballistics is the real struggle ;)

Reactions: Flint62a1