• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supercross? AMA? MotoGP?

SpeedyR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
ATL
it's all stick and ball sports here.. no two wheel fans??

Supercross this weekend in Arlington TX....

MotoGP starting in a few weeks.

April before the AMA Superbikes are running around Road Atlanta again (my home track)...

even flat track is getting ready to kick off at Daytona (if you haven't watched flat track in a while or ever, you owe it to yourself to catch one).

Started on two wheel 10 years old, so yes a fan of anything 2 wheels, fast, insane, any mode exhilarating to this old dude (riding for over 50 years). Personally have slowed down but still and enthusiast of anything 2 or 4 wheel wild.

I have owned, ridden Hodaka, Maico, CZ, BSA, Triumph, Harley Davidson, Victory, Suzuki, Bridgestone, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Jawa, Indian, BMW, KTM, Honda...dirt/street/adventure/cruiser/superbike.

One of my last personal builds for mountain cruising

0BFEAA5D-D43C-4D36-BFD3-3F3903EC22AE.jpeg

I'll be taking my sons to their first Supercross in Denver in April. I grew up on 2 wheels and 4, then started racing MX had a lot of fun till I broke my neck. I actually owned 5 dirt bikes when I met my wife. I feel like such a hypocrite now, I never understood why my parents would not let me have a MX bike, so when I turned 18 I bought my own CR125 and started racing, moved up to a YZ250 pretty quickly. When I was 22 I broke my neck practicing on my own track, was the only really bad crash I ever had other than the normal stuff like fingers, wrist, knees, ankles, kidneys. I always thought if I had a kid and he wanted to race I would buy him one and get him started. But 20+ years later and I still deal with neck pain almost daily and my youngest has been asking for a bike since he was 5 or so and I cannot bring myself to saying yes. I know all too well it is not a matter of if but when and how bad you get hurt. It is tough though, sometimes I just want to go buy a couple and go ride but I cannot afford to be laid up hurt, and I know I'm still too stupid not to go jump shit and try to be faster than the other guy.

One of my last personal builds for mountain cruising

View attachment 7025501

very cool Victory. I was sad when they closed up shop, they had some very unique bikes and I think they should have kept Victory and Indian around and moved in different directions.

Glad to see there are a few moto heads around here. From years of being around the shooting and moto industry, it seemed that the two tended to go hand in hand.

I do more dual sport these days but did get another street bike 2 years ago. Long time ago I did some racing (WERA, mostly endurance on lightweight twins) and track days, might get back on the track this year after a few year hiatus. My wife and daughter (11) both ride dirt with me, but not as often as I'd like. :)

Attached photo of my KTM's- 950 Super Enduro and my 1290 Super Duke. Can't have too much Super in your life, right?
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg

Hard Enduro or go home nancy.
come to TN for the hard enduro race that's just outside chattanooga (Trials Training Center- Tennessee Knockout Enduro). I've got some friends that race it each year, I need to get up there for spectating this year and give them a hand. I've been to a few of the World Enduro Championship rounds back when they had rounds in NY and Canada, but they were nothing like the Red Bull races in europe. It was still cool to see racers like Salminen, Knight, etc.

I sold my 450XC a few years ago and keep thinking I"ll get another little bike. TE150 or FE450. too many hobbies.

Reactions: woodlandshooter
I watch Supercross every weekend... and Formula 1 every race... Pretty much the only reason I have direcTV.. I am still thinking about canceling DerecTV and just buying the streaming services for both..

I have been to prob over 20 ish supper cross and outdoor races.. Even went to Red Bud in Oct for the MX Denations to watch us get our ass beat in the mud lol

My parents didn't let me ride when I was a kid. The day I turned 21 (feb 2001) I bought a pistol and a Kawasaki zx6r. I managed to total it in 3 weeks (March 21st 2001 at about 4:30pm) by hitting a guard rail head on at about 80mph. I just remember seeing the turn I wasn't going to make, looking down and seeing 80, looked up, SMASH!. Bought another zx6r when the insurance check came in late april. Got T-boned by some broad in late May, not much damage to me or the bike. July 15th 2001 at around 11:30pm I looped out doing a wheelie in front of my parents house. My dad was kinda pissed to say the least lol. Insurance check came for that and I bought a 88 Honda hurricane 600. I learned so much on that bike. Sold it to a buddy of mine who wrapped it around a telephone pole.

I've had 1000s, Gixxer 750s when they were hot shit but mostly I have been a Honda 600 guy. Over the years I did a bunch of track days, had a few more get offs, speeding tickets, and wreckless driving tickets. I took a few years off due to work and a blown disk in my back. I bought a Kawasaki ninja 1000 "sport tourer" in March of 15. Had that bike for 2.5 years and never rode it. I only put 1600 miles on it.

I still have the need for speed, but I don't bounce as well as I used to. Years ago I didn't care if I wrecked.

In Sept of 17 we went to the ama race at Pitt race. Suzuki had all of the bikes there for demo rides. The drz400sm caught my eye. I took that little thing for a spin and 2 weeks later I traded my ninja 1000 160hp for a 400 single thumper with 32 hp lol.

That stupid little bike is so fucking slow that it's a blast to ride. With the dirt bike suspension and ground clearance I don't dodge and tiptoe around potholes, manhole covers, and bumps in the road like I did with the sport bikes. Fuck it, just ride over it!

I now have my eye on the new Honda 450L to turn that into a supermoto.

KIMG1863.JPG

KIMG0773.JPG

watch King Kenny ride the mile on a screamer Yama at what...60 plus years old. That man... ...damn...

anytime i crashed, the saying went- you always land on your wallet

it was another season of racing around the midwest road courses for me OR an engagement ring...
... 8 years and 2 beautiful daughters later, I'm waiting til they're outta the house before i get back on

i, too, am too stupid not to stand a horn mono or chase that next bike down regardless of cost

I’ve been on two wheels since I was nine. Started on a YSR50 (which I still have), graduated to my father’s ‘91 ZX6 (before the R was a thing), and rode that around for awhile. When I got back from my mission, I bought what was officially my first bike (an ‘01 ZX6R) within two weeks of being home. It was priority numero uno for me. Two years without riding was rough!

Rode that thing every day for almost 50K before I took it out if service for what was supposed to be a full rebuild. It was replaced by an ‘03 FZ1 that I semi-restored after it sat for two and a half years. Put 36K on that before it also went down for work amidst an intense flight training program, so it ended up sitting as well. After spending 10 months last year in two shops, it still doesn’t run right, and I don’t have the time to do the work myself so I’m not really sure what to do with it at the moment.

Currently on an ‘08 Concours14. I REEEAALLY wanna get the FZ1 running right because it was fun as heck and a wheelie monster, but the C14 is an amazing machine.

I sold my pickup years back to afford a wedding ring (don’t regret that at all, I almost never used it anyway), but I am to the point where I want AC during the hot AZ summers. But yeah, I’m a two wheel freak. I’ve easily done over 130K in the 22 years I’ve been riding, and probably closer to 150K, all on sportbikes of some sort. I can’t ever see myself without one, really.

As for the racing sports, I enjoy them, but don’t go out of my way to watch them. I really enjoy watching Moto3, Moto2, and MotoGP races, but don’t feel like spending the cash to get them. American roadracing is also fun, but the last few times I watched it, the announcers were deadpan and absolutely not anywhere near into it as the Euro guys who do the Moto series. I should get back into them, though!

Another one from Dragon’s Tail...

Attachments

• A859504E-7DA1-41D7-B465-16BA6F642E10.jpeg
    A859504E-7DA1-41D7-B465-16BA6F642E10.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 121
I love MotoGp.....I sold my last sportbike, Suzuki Tl1000R, a few years ago. I did quite a few track days on that bike. Was a great bike. I've often thought of building a salvage title bike of some kind just for track days, but have yet to do that. After quite a few close calls on the road I don't have a lot of desire to ride on the road, but I do miss the track.

I really enjoy SBK too, but the tv coverage, for me at least, has not been good the last few years. I spend more time reading about it than actually watching it which is obviously no where as exciting.

Last edited:
I need to get Sling TV and BeIn back, it's where most of the WSBK and MotoGP races are being shown.

track is a good place if you like to push your limits. I did track days for a few years (helped a local org with track days, but the tire costs were killing me) but back doing some light street riding and dual sport/off road more now.

Went to the Atlanta SX last weekend. Mercedes stadium is great, but the races were OK. Wish there had been more passing but the track didn't lend itself to lots of passing.

daytona should be fun. SX and the 200 race (wish it were back to the old days with Superbikes!).

All two wheeled moto is good! Raced for many years long ago and sure miss it. Where I live when the snow and skiing is gone and over we ride plated dirt bikes everywhere.
In the non snow months,
God, Guns and Moto!
That’s my motto!

@Lapuapalooza that thing is a work of art!!

My dirt scooter hasn't been getting much love the last couple years since I've gotten more involved in shooting, still love it just cant find the motivation to skip range time to go ride anymore.

2001 ktm exc250, with 300 kit.

Attachments

• 20170107_092847.jpg
    20170107_092847.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Lapuapalooza
@Lapuapalooza that thing is a work of art!!

My dirt scooter hasn't been getting much love the last couple years since I've gotten more involved in shooting, still love it just cant find the motivation to skip range time to go ride anymore.

2001 ktm exc250, with 300 kit.

Thank you. It’s a 1961 KR that belonged to my dad. He gave it to me in his last year of life. It was actually raced in the 1963 Daytona 200 by Larry Palmgren. That was the first year for the wind fairing that we all know today.

Here is a sexy little beast based off the new Indian flattrack bike.

61ADD988-4C2D-4EA4-AC6A-613C538DF256.jpeg

Here’s the article.

Reactions: Rover31
SuperCross season is over. Can't say that I saw that one coming. Not really on the Webb wagon, but must admit that he did a good job of staying up front and taking a page out of the Dungey playbook to take this years title. Same as Anderson last year. My personal favorite Marvin Musquin was a bit of a let down this year.

250 classes kept things interesting to the end. Crushed for baby jesus (Adam C), but he'll get a title soon enough. Ditto for Forkner.

Outdoors start in 2 weeks at Hangtown. Always fun to see who has been putting in the work for the outdoor nationals. the 450 class is going to be interesting. Eli is going to be on a tear IMHO.

On to Moto GP!!! Can't believe Rossi qualifying last weekend but the other Yamahas are doing something right.

Was stoked to see one of my favorite riders, JD Beach win a flat track race in the premier class (twins) and then back things up with a win at VIR in Superbike. Now he just needs to get a few more flat track wins and maybe have a modern day AMA Grand Slam. I think Nicky was short on winning a mile. He would have done it after he retired from Honda MotoGP I think but we'll never know.

I love supercross but it doesn't come close to motocross action!!! Higher speed, bigger jumps, more passing, uphill, downhill. I am not a big Webb fan either. Kawasaki got screwed out of three titles. Tomac had one bad race that cost him big. Both of the 250 guys should have also won titles, but a bad knee injury for Forkner, and crash for Adam C sealed the deal.

Reactions: SpeedyR
Can't wait for the real MX to start. I've been to quite a few rounds around the US but thinking the FL round might be the only one for me this year. Might be in Boston around the Southwick round but doubt I can convince the wife to drive south for the day to watch at the wick!

For watching Supercross is better because you can see the entire track. MX you have to pick a spot. I live in Washington so Washougal is the only race I might go to. Used to go to the Seattle race every year, but I hate Seattle so much that I gave it up three years ago.

Used to go to Dilla and Wick every year (lived right between them) and i agree it can be a bitch to watch but i enjoy the outdoors more. I feel the battles are harder fought and stakes a little higher. Wish they televised the MX season like they do the SX.

Edit: im waiting to see how long Marvin lasts as the lead rider for ktm now that a fairly green guy cleaned his clock. Im no webb fan but he had a good string of races. Not sure he can bring keep it up next season but who knows. Just glad Roczen stayed healthy, Ive been a fan since he was a temp fill in rider for ktm and when he was in the GPs. If he can keep it right in MX i think he will be a much bigger threat next year.

open wheel fan here, mainly F1

would live and die by F1 for years until they started trying to curb costs by limiting testing

it went from ultimate engineering on the planet to nascar with no fenders

someone up above said guns/prs is expensive try racing

i agree, raced open wheel for a bunch of years when i was a younger man, before wife and kids.

how fast do you want to go = how much you want to spend

Reactions: Supersubes
open wheel fan here, mainly F1

would live and die by F1 for years until they started trying to curb costs by limiting testing

it went from ultimate engineering on the planet to nascar with no fenders

someone up above said guns/prs is expensive try racing

i agree, raced open wheel for a bunch of years when i was a younger man, before wife and kids.

how fast do you want to go = how much you want to spend

While I love, I mean love F1, I've grown tired of the direction it's been heading the last several years. A gentleman I work with is also a huge F1 fan. What we'd love to see is a buget cap, say $500 million per team. Very little rules, 1.5L turbo, or 3L normally aspirated.....spend your money wisely. Let the teams "go". Let them innovate. It's become so aero heavy that racing has become boring.

Reactions: Supersubes
100%
the grass is always greener, but the racing between 1990 and and when they dropped the v10's was the pinnacle of racing.
drivers still drove, refueling, tires...men

Reactions: ChadL
I use to do track days all the time on my built gsxr 600. Yall think PRS is expensive?? Ha.
You think track days are expensive go racing with the intent to win (there is a serious difference in cost when you want to be on the pointy end) in all seriousness though I need an excuse to renew my licence and race again so if anyone is in my region and wants to get into it I'm all over it. (Atlantic / mid atlantic) would love to have a reason to go out again and I like being a mentor where I can be.

35 years of Motocross. Just got a new titanium hip 8 months ago Will race 2 more years and retire that sport.

lots of unique riding opportunity here in CA. Probably the birth place of motocross here. Glenhelen, first and multiple rounds of super cross in Anaheim. Lots of videos filmed here. Motorsports are a big deal here. We still participate in them but seems to be seasonal as the weather can get unbearable in the best riding areas

headed towards the east coast MX rounds- FL in a few weeks, High Point this weekend. Looking forward to seeing A Plessinger back on the Yamaha. tomac is looking strong and I think is still the one to beat but I'm happy to see Roczen with the red plate. Marvin is moving forward, but I think Osborne is the next "new" winner. He's been on fire but needs a slightly better start. He'll get a win before it's over.

And yes, road racing motorcycles can get expensive. Just the tire bill gets ya. I remember buying 10 sets at a time when some friends and I were doing WERA endurance races. And that was on 650's. Even working for a tire company didn't help that much. Luckily I didn't crash much so there is that.

Family been racing motocross and off road all our lives. Son raced, almost made pro but got hurt so he went to college. He still races and now we race AHRMA post vintage motocross. I love restoring and building bikes. Got 4 vintage MX bikes and 3 modern bikes. Still love it!! Pics of 1983 Honda CR480r and 1986 CR250R.

Attachments

• 2375A951-2E91-478A-85FD-2FCD8A1B835E.jpeg
    2375A951-2E91-478A-85FD-2FCD8A1B835E.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 124
  • E80EA4A5-8271-447F-B1B5-97C4E85E2D72.jpeg
    E80EA4A5-8271-447F-B1B5-97C4E85E2D72.jpeg
    993 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: SpeedyR
MX/outdoor nationals are done. Nice to see AC finally get a championship (and I'm sure that ProCircuit was happy to put another plate on the wall after a long draught). ET is on another level (when he's on). I can see at least one more outdoor championship in him hope he steps up his game in SX.

Next up, Monster Energy Cup. Always cool to watch and maybe have a few Euros coming over to race this year.

MXoN- Team USA should do better than expected but will still not win this year.

MotoGP, still some rounds left, but wow, the past two races have been some solid battles up front and exciting to watch!

WSBK without an american, I have lost some interest in the racing.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
I watch GNCC, SX, MX, Hard Enduro Series. Erzberg Rodeo!!!! Love racing and riding. It takes a toll on the body though. Here's some footage of one of the Enduros I ran in Minnesota.

Last edited:
AMA or MotoGP for me. I actually moved last time to be closer to the track near me where I would take my cars, but then switched to motor bikes a few years ago. Not gonna post my bike, don't wanna get recognized as it's not a common model at all around where I live but it's awesome seeing other riders here and their rides. I actually miss racing cars in comparison, riding is a totally different game that I've had trouble adjusting to. I wish I had ten bikes and ten sets of leathers where I could just crash them all finding the limit, but for the moment I just have my one bike pulling double duty. Probably going to just suck it up and go full track bike and get a cheap dual sport or something for the road. I should sell it and buy guns, and I almost did, but she used her feminine wiles on me. Love is a curse.

Racing/tracking is the best feeling in the world, there isn't shit else that comes close for me. Ball sports are uninteresting to me at all, I do love hockey though. I watch MotoGP and AMA, have a friend in AMA that hooks me up with the MotoGP and AMA races so I don't have to buy a subscription online and shit. Bike dudes tend to be way cooler than car dudes, mostly because there are no VW owners at all.

• Love
Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Missed this first time around.

Motorcycles have been a very important part in my life. Spend 9 years in the industry. Managed a race team, even sponsored Seattle SX.
Recently got the family back in the saddle.
D7DD25A5-1627-41AA-8A6E-C7379C60E005.jpeg

Reactions: skotydontno
Nope other side of the country, but I think I know who you might be thinking bout if the Yamahas are a clue. Lol