• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Superior Shooting Systems Remy 700 Bolt...

Re: Superior Shooting Systems Remy 700 Bolt...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inquire to SSS & ask who manufactures the bolt body/handle/knob.
Inquire how the handle is located/timed/attached. </div></div>
I can handle that, talked to SSS when I was considering that bolt. First I will say, there is nothing wrong with the bolt itself if that is what you want and need a fast turn around. Be aware if you do go with that bolt I was told by SSS that .012 would need to be removed from the lugs to fit an unmolested remington action, and then you need to check headspace and adjust it if needed. It is a PTG bolt body and handle/knob. the handle is soldered on as far as locating, timing it is set to factory specs, so it may or may not time properly with you action

I just bought a PT&G bolt and had to learn what "timing" is. I still don't really know what it is...guess it is attaching the handle properly so it works with the selected action. Anyway, the one thing I did learn, was to send the action in along with the bolt....otherwise it can't be timed. Also, learned there is this thing called TIG welding that seems to be the preferred/strongest weld. Then, I learned that Nathan Dagley is a hot shot gunsmith who does great TIG welding: http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

Still don't really know what "timing" is....oh well, Nathan could probably explain it :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then, I learned that Nathan Dagley is a hot shot gunsmith who does great TIG welding: http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/ </div></div>

Nathan is one of the good guys. He's definitely on the top of my list.

Nathan has built one rifle for me with another on the way. He is a super nice guy and can put together a shooter and fit and finish are second to none. He makes good looking brake that works good too. When I get the Predator action from the group buy it will be going to him too.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is a super nice guy and can put together a shooter and fit and finish are second to none.</div></div>

He has a firm grasp on how to conduct himself, which is fairly important to me. He doesn't try to flaunt his talent, by putting down others.

There are innovators/certified TIG welders.

There are imitators/back yard welders.

If your TIG welded bolts/handles need to be bead blasted to remove carbon-use it for a paper weight-as temper is AFU.

A side question for you Dans40X:

Why do you continue to hang around here if you think we are "erragant wantabees"?

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2670062

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dans40X </div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who built the rifle-
You may be able to sell your painted rifle to one of the erragant wantabees over on Sniper Hide.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A side question for you Dans40X:

Why do you continue to hang around here if you think we are "erragant wantabees"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dans40X </div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who built the rifle-
You may be able to sell your painted rifle to one of the erragant wantabees over on Sniper Hide.</div></div> </div></div>

If you dont know by now, Dan has selective vision/hearing. So dont hold your breath on a response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A side question for you Dans40X:

You may be able to sell your painted rifle to one of the erragant wantabees over on Sniper Hide.</div></div> </div></div>

Doh! I think someone just got called out. and its safe to say he doesn't share Nathan Dagley's humbleness and manners. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are innovators/certified TIG welders.

</div></div>

and there are innovators/back yard weldors.

I have a thread asking how to tig weld handles and Dan has been nothing but helpful, but I can see this going south real quick if people start the A is better than B argument

No one is sayint he is not being helpful 10% of the time (the other 90% he talks out of his ass caliming to know everything and that everything other than what he sells/uses is crap) What Rijndael was saying is why he still posts here if he thinks we are "erragant wantabees"

I an not in the cat fight, but gotta comment that Nate is a really great guy, who does super work.
He did a few of the Pheonix actions for me. Everything was perfection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is a super nice guy and can put together a shooter and fit and finish are second to none.</div></div>

He has a firm grasp on how to conduct himself, which is fairly important to me. He doesn't try to flaunt his talent, by putting down others. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one is sayint he is not being helpful 10% of the time (the other 90% he talks out of his ass caliming to know everything and that everything other than what he sells/uses is crap) What Rijndael was saying is why he still posts here if he thinks we are "erragant wantabees" </div></div>
I agree with you 100% I just don't think it should be done in public, if he has a problem with the site or individual members let the mods handle him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with you 100% I just don't think it should be done in public, if he has a problem with the site or individual members let the mods handle him</div></div>

I'm a mod for another board, so I have some personal data points on this ... I feel people bitch to the moderators way too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one is sayint he is not being helpful 10% of the time (the other 90% he talks out of his ass caliming to know everything and that everything other than what he sells/uses is crap) What Rijndael was saying is why he still posts here if he thinks we are "erragant wantabees" </div></div>
I agree with you 100% I just don't think it should be done in public, if he has a problem with the site or individual members let the mods handle him </div></div>

Well he was very public about his feelings towards hide members, so why should Rijndaels question not be asked in pulic so all the members can see?

I would like to think we are above that here, let the other sites sling their mud. I don't think it helps to bash members and sites. I understand he said some shitty things on 6mmbr but who cares, thats not here. If he wants to come here and help oput sometimes let him if it turns into a constant degrading session, boot him. I only have about 321 posts so I'm not going to get in the middle of an internet argument. You argue on the internet you might as well beat your head against a wall

Rijndael said:
A side question for you Dans40X:

If the quote offended you-So is Life!!
If the shoe fits-wear it.

Reason being-
With the influx of painted/coated,improperly located/timed,piss poor silver brazed,adornment clad bolts/handles by so called EXPERT builders,I the innovator of TIG welded bolt handles,support the shooting sports,as I have for the last 20+ years with out the misleading BS.

Some of your adornment laden bolt handles would be mechanically advanced if they were super glued to the body,as the adornments are the ONLY thing holding the handle in place.

Errogance-
First quote by many on this site-
Fill out your profile!!
Reason being-They want to know your location before spouting off,to prevent someone from showing up on their door step.

I for one,won't type a statement for the world to read on the internet,that I won't say to your face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with you 100% I just don't think it should be done in public, if he has a problem with the site or individual members let the mods handle him</div></div>
I'm a mod for another board, so I have some personal data points on this ... I feel people bitch to the moderators way too much.
</div></div>
I don't play the tattletale game, if a mod or admin or whoever is in charge doesn't catch something, oh well. It is not my place to to police. "Handle" meaning censor offensive language or comletely bogus claims which I have seen none of from him. Everyone is entitled to opinions. Dan said "one of the arrogant wannabees", it is not like he was calling out specific members by name. If ther is one site online that doesnt have some bozos I have yet to come across it, they are everyehere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the quote offended you-So is Life!!
If the shoe fits-wear it.</div></div> Just to be clear, you didn't offend me. I just think it's in poor taste to peddle services to folks you've belittled on other sites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First quote by many on this site-
Fill out your profile!! Reason being-They want to know your location before spouting off,to prevent someone from showing up on their door step.</div></div>I'd agree that it's a lame thing to request, especially since the board only requires it for use in the classified section. The user gets to put whatever they want in there, chances are it's not their real location anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I for one,won't type a statement for the world to read on the internet,that I won't say to your face.</div></div>Well, I guess it's good to be consistent.

I'm sure you're talented in what you do, because many folks that I respect have positively commented on your work. But, I generally regard professional people who negatively comment on other people's work (specifically competitors), often lack the confidence or ability to do it themselves.

Well Dan, I too am an honest person like you, but I tell it to peoples faces rather than their backs. So here is some honesty for you, I think you are a tool! On a professional level, I think you are a damn fine welder, but you love to talk trash about others and their work. Just because someone uses some elses services or products that doesnt mean they are inferior to yours.

Because of your low opinion of others and you thinking you are better than the rest of us, I will never have any work done by you. And I hope other members read this and do the same.

+1
I'm in sales and the best sales people, just like the best people in general, don't talk bad about their competition because they wisely know that it always reflects poorly on them. I guess bad habits die hard.

Dan has gone and proved my point, instead of dealing with this shit like a man he sent me this PM with the subject title Wantabee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one of the erragant wantabees over on Sniper Hide.

Appearantly the shoe fits!!!! </div></div>

Dan, the only erragant one here is you, if you feel this site is full of erragant wantabees, they why the fuck are you still here? Why still post here? And you have enough nerve to call me a wantabee just because I called you out on what you said?

A real man would have either appologized, or would have said "ya I said that, and Im standing by it. Instead you are being a pussy about it by sending me a pm thinking im going to be offended by the likes of you!

all I can say to that is LOL!!!

ohhhh it gets better, he removed himself from the topic (PM) before I could respond!!!

Dan, grow a pair and be a man you fucking tool!

<------- proud back yard welder...

Pretty good one too...

I have seen Dan's responses on other boards and find it funny that he calls others arrogant as he usually claims to be the only person in the world who is right.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a PT&G bolt and had to learn what "timing" is. I still don't really know what it is...guess it is attaching the handle properly so it works with the selected action. Anyway, the one thing I did learn, was to send the action in along with the bolt....otherwise it can't be timed. Also, learned there is this thing called TIG welding that seems to be the preferred/strongest weld. Then, I learned that Nathan Dagley is a hot shot gunsmith who does great TIG welding: http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

Still don't really know what "timing" is....oh well, Nathan could probably explain it :) </div></div>

Nice looking work,
one caveat.........
the second video of the bolt handle welding that shows the underside of the bolts....
at least two of the bolts show heat discoloration up to and perhaps farther than 1/2" away from the weld area......
This can ruin the temper on the cocking cam surface.... (steel)
those bolts look stainless, too much heat on some 300 series stainless can cause crack sensitization in the "heat affected zone"
(area around the weld)

I am not a gunsmith...
I am a professional welder....
AWS certified, and an AWS certified weld inspector...
Not trying to bash anyone.... the ability to lay down a nice bead is good, and important.
To have an understanding of interpass temperatures and what you are doing to the base material is paramount.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a PT&G bolt and had to learn what "timing" is. I still don't really know what it is...guess it is attaching the handle properly so it works with the selected action. Anyway, the one thing I did learn, was to send the action in along with the bolt....otherwise it can't be timed. Also, learned there is this thing called TIG welding that seems to be the preferred/strongest weld. Then, I learned that Nathan Dagley is a hot shot gunsmith who does great TIG welding: http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

Still don't really know what "timing" is....oh well, Nathan could probably explain it :) </div></div>

Nice looking work,
one caveat.........
the second video of the bolt handle welding that shows the underside of the bolts....
at least two of the bolts show heat discoloration up to and perhaps farther than 1/2" away from the weld area......
This can ruin the temper on the cocking cam surface.... (steel)
those bolts look stainless, too much heat on some 300 series stainless can cause crack sensitization in the "heat affected zone"
(area around the weld)

I am not a gunsmith...
Not trying to bash anyone.... the ability to lay down a nice bead is good, and important.
To have an understanding of interpass temperatures and what you are doing to the base material is paramount..... </div></div>

<span style="color: #33CC00">Just came across this post and thought I would offer my rebuttal</span>
Nice looking work, <span style="color: #33CC00">Thanks</span>one caveat.........
at least two of the bolts show heat discoloration up to and perhaps farther than 1/2" away from the weld area...... <span style="color: #33CC00">when silver soldering, metal needs to achieve 1200 degrees to melt the solder. You can not stop heat by drawing a line and saying "don't pass this" There is no way to weld on a handle without getting the steel hot enough to change colors. Some people set their welder very low to make a pretty looking weld, but the weld is only that, pretty. The weld has no penetration and can be broken off as easy or easier than a silver soldered on handle. The key here is after welding let the bolt cool slowly. Do NOT quench in water or oil at most you will only drop a couple points in RC and should easily be above RC-40. I have tested the hardness after the welding and have never found a noticeable loss of RC in the cocking cam, although tig welding needs to get the metal 2580*F. it does it in a fraction of the time it takes to heat a whole bolt and handle to 1200* therefore effecting less area. I have had bolts here silver soldered on by very good and well know silver soldiers' That do countless numbers of bolts a year and they have had discoloration as far as an inch from the handle. There have been no issues. I can not even see any wear on cocking cams that I have run ten thousand rounds through. I am definitely not a "know it all", but I do research and extensive testing on the services I offer, before I offer them. All my work is guaranteed 100% and I will go the extra mile if there ever were any issues with any of my services.</span>This can ruin the temper on the cocking cam surface.... (steel)<span style="color: #33CC00">I have not found this to be the case when cooled slowly. </span>
those bolts look stainless, too much heat on some 300 series stainless can cause crack sensitization in the "heat affected zone" <span style="color: #33CC00">This is very interesting, if these bolts were 300 series stainless then we would have a problem, not only in the cocking cam area, but in the locking lugs as well. 300 series stainless is no match for 4140 for holding pressure. The reason 300 series can crack when welding is because it holds heat. It does not disperse, almost like an insulator. I am not aware of any custom action manufactures that are using stainless bolts, if there is it would probably be more like a 17-4 stainless or similar alloy, but when you are talking about safety, a 4000 series CM steel is best.</span> (area around the weld)

I am not a gunsmith...
Not trying to bash anyone.... the ability to lay down a nice bead is good, and important., <span style="color: #33CC00">true, but not as important as a strong weld. Welds can look pretty beautiful on the outside, but be an accident waiting to happen on the inside hence the reason for weld X-rays.. reminds me of a bible verse. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.</span> To have an understanding of interpass temperatures and what you are doing to the base material is paramount..... <span style="color: #33CC00">I totally agree!! Some people hear the word weld and freak"</span>

<span style="color: #33CC00">308nate</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are innovators/certified TIG welders.

If your TIG welded bolts/handles need to be bead blasted to remove carbon-use it for a paper weight-as temper is AFU. </div></div>

The reason for sand or bead blasting is to remove discoloration, not carbon. Sure I could use an acid wash, but don't like to work with the chemicals. If you say you have no discoloration, then your welds have no penetration and will probably break off as easy or easier than silver soldered on ones.
I think you are deceived if you think you can tell everything about a part by it's outward appearance. Unfortunately the whole world seems to have this attitude. Meaning the outward appearance is more important that the heart of the issue.

308nate

there are plenty of stainless (not sure what series) rem 700 bolt bodies. the bolt head is still chromo regardless of the body material.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are plenty of stainless (not sure what series) rem 700 bolt bodies. the bolt head is still chromo regardless of the body material. </div></div>

The only ones I'm aware of are the ones Remington offers in their stainless actions. I am also not sure of what the alloy is, but it has not been a problem to weld to. 80% of the bolts I weld handles on are PTG bolts, lug and body are one piece out of 4000 series steel.I primarily build custom rifles. I only do approx. 200 bolts per year, but I don't recall having a single one returned for any issues.

"I am not aware of any custom action manufactures that are using stainless bolts"

Just to clarify, I stated custom actions not factory actions. I'm not saying there are not any I'm just not aware of them.

308nate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><------- proud back yard welder...

Pretty good one too... </div></div>

I'd let you weld my bolt handle on any day
grin.gif

I'm not near a welding expert, but if you are going to knock members, it would be cool if you made sure to spell your insults correctly
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">A R R O G A N T</span>

I'm new to Tac shooting sport. I have bought two Remmy rifles recently and I have not fired them yet. First is a 700 varmint 308 and a 308 LTR. Both have black bolts and handles. Well, I guess everything is black on these rifles. If you are changing the bolts to extend the handles and if the welding changes the color around the bolt where the new handles are welded on, how do I make the bolt handles and the welded area black again. Thanks for your help.

If any one is looking for a tig welder that will do better work than most with out needing there mouth welded shut let me know. I do all the bold welding for ga precesion i have georges support of one of the best tig welders i think that says enough. As for dan talking all that shit on tig welding anybody can look up welding phrases off google and sound like they know what there doing.

Hi

Iam the new kid on the block here and do not want to offend any of the more knowledgeable members.

But i would like to point out the the Late Mike Tierney, of Custom Rifles, Southampton, UK was having bolt handles TIG welded on his custom Mauser rifles back in 1981.

I do not know when Dan TIG welded his first bolt handle but to claim to be the inovator is rather a bold statement.

Mike ran his business from my premises, he was a Gunmaker and did most everything by hand.

i just stumbled across this thread, First thing is dan, arrogant is the correct spelling. Also it is Wannabees