• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed 16 inch .308? Any reason not to?

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
Thinking about having my .308 700p cut down to 16.5" or so and using it mainly for subsonic loads with the occasional full power load. Any reason not to do this? I can't help but look at the success of the Larue OBR with a 16" barrel and it makes me go hmmm.. At 16.5" it will be short with the suppressor, light, handy, and still reach out there a good ways with full power loads.

I run 2 loads currently. 175gr SMK, 43.5gr Varget and my subsonic load is a Hornady 170gr flat point round nose bullet with 10.2gr of Trailboss. Both perform very, very well currently.

If I really need to reach out there I have a R700 .300wm rifle that is in the process of getting trued and rebarreled with a Lilja 28" blank which is about 2 weeks out (before I get the barrel).

What's your opinion?

-X

Re: Suppressed 16 inch .308? Any reason not to?

that 16.5inch barrel probably wouldnt work very good long range obviously, but if you plan on carrying it around for plinking and what not sounds like it should work obviously not a 1k yard benchrest setup
smile.gif

I would go 18-18.5 inches long , not much longer really , but will make all the difference for your supersonic loads , and still short enough to be good with subsonic loads , RE the friction .

You could do it no problem. Use the fastest burning powder you can. I know a couple guys that hunt with 308 pistols out to 200 yards.

Heck yeah, go short. More fun than stompin' baby chickens!

Ha! Finally got to use that one!
wink.gif

Short, suppressed rifles are fantastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pwerstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on twist. This short of a barrel might not stabilize the bullet when/if using subsonic loads. </div></div>

I was worried a bit because of the 1/12" twist of the factory barrel. I'm using lighter 170gr .30-30 bullets as they are supposedly the most (or one of the most) stable bullets for subsonic use.

-X

Here's a pic for ya'...

APA built this on a 700 action, barrel length at 16.5 with a Tac-Ops .30 cal can.

100_2549.jpg

It is very handy and shoots VERY WELL! However, I have found that I like it even more when it is not wearing the can. As for shooting at distance, I have little trouble with it out to 700 yards and had this built to fill a specific role, which it exceedingly does. Hope this helps.

B.

if i have another bolt gun built it will be about 16" every one i've shot that short has shot really really well and only ran out of gas at stuff 800+ which i have other guns if i need to go that far but as far as being handy they are alot of fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i have another bolt gun built it will be about 16" every one i've shot that short has shot really really well and only ran out of gas at stuff 800+ which i have other guns if i need to go that far but as far as being handy they are alot of fun </div></div>

I totally feel you on the range of 800yds. If I didn't have a .300wm I wouldn't consider doing this but right now I'm really leaning towards going forward with this.

Winny, that's badass!!

-X

I was going to do just the same thing with a .308 Remington 700 I have but I'd have to re-barrel it to 10 twist to make sure I don't get a baffle strike. I'd think with anything between 16-18" you can get a full power load with 168/175 to go to 800 yds no problem.

I currently have a Thompson Encore in .308 (10 twist) that I had the barrel shortened to 18" and out of it I'm running the Hornady 180 round nose bullet with 10.0 grains of Trailboss pushing it at 1015 fps - running it through either an Omega 30 or HTG M40 can.

I have a Steyr Elite Tactical that I cut to 16.5". It runs a can, and is more accurate than before. I'm getting consistent 1/2MOA. It shoots great out to 1000. It only requires about 40minutes more adjustment (or roughly 50 inches more drop). I didn't build it for shooting that far, but I had to try it. Typically I shoot inside 500.
I shoot 168 Sierras.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking about having my .308 700p cut down to 16.5" or so and using it mainly for subsonic loads with the occasional full power load. Any reason not to do this? I can't help but look at the success of the Larue OBR with a 16" barrel and it makes me go hmmm.. At 16.5" it will be short with the suppressor, light, handy, and still reach out there a good ways with full power loads.

I run 2 loads currently. 175gr SMK, 43.5gr Varget and my subsonic load is a Hornady 170gr flat point round nose bullet with 10.2gr of Trailboss. Both perform very, very well currently.

If I really need to reach out there I have a R700 .300wm rifle that is in the process of getting trued and rebarreled with a Lilja 28" blank which is about 2 weeks out (before I get the barrel).

What's your opinion?

-X

</div></div>

It'll work very well for you within your intended purpose. I build a Take Down rifle called the CRUX with a 16.5" barrel and its performance is somewhat surprising....

Anybody running a 1/12" twist barrel this short?

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody running a 1/12" twist barrel this short?

-X </div></div>

All of mine are 10 twist....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody running a 1/12" twist barrel this short?

-X </div></div>

All of mine are 10 twist.... </div></div>

That's not what I want to hear Mike!
grin.gif

-X

X....thanks...I'm a little partial to it as well!

Also, mine is also a 1 in 10 twist as. well

I think SC just made a rifle like that for the DM\S-R project in the rifle reviews section.