• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire High Capacity Magazines 60&100

Re: Surefire High Capacity Magazines 60&100

If a marine is in uniform endorsing a product you can bet your ass he had to get permission.

Your talking about the guys that you DON'T see walking around your local walmart in utilities. Think that's by chance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How they hell are you <span style="font-style: italic">suppose</span> to go prone?</div></div> That's the first thing that entered my mind.

Next thought was, how heavy they must be...ie. for real world how many would you carry...because if your mag shit the bed, you may be without a lot of your combat load out if you only carried say 3 of these.

I think Surefire just re-invented the Beta-C mag...albeit it probably works better.

At some point you are just turning your M4 into an M249 (which is dumb).

thanks for catching the spelling, can't say i did real good on that mci..., after watching the video i see you must be an uber-cool operator and have that silly little side mount for an optic to effectivley shoot prone, not for all but maybe a few designated auto-rifleman with the proper set up...

Handled them at SHOT and the 100 is way too big, IMHO, for an AR but would work well in a SAW although I would still rather have my 200 round belt. The 60 round would be a better choice for an AR if you think you would need that many rounds but is still big. They didn't have them loaded up but just take 2 30 rounders and it will be about the same weight as the mag itself isn't very heavy.

lol i can only imagine how odd that must look with that thing sticking out the side of a saw, I bet it would look like one of those type92 machine guns, quick some one post a pic of one

I saw these on the internet and they sound cool but they are expensive and fairly useless. While it sounds good on paper to have all those rounds its really not necessary and as a result you lost manueverability with the gun. I say its not neccessary because in a cop scenario, you should never be shooting that many rounds since they all go somewhere and you dont want to kill the whole neighborhood. In a military setting, you very well could shoot many more than 60 or 100 rounds in a firefight however, the issue is more knowing when to reload rather than the frequency of reloading (to some extent) it isnt going to be a really big inconvienence or disadvantage to reload every 30 rounds and again you lose manueverability with IMO is a bigger disadvantage than more frequent reloads. And finally, if your a civillian please dont ever buy this product, youll just look stupid at the range.

Looks interesting, of course it's priced insane, it's surefire, that said it will probably work for the same reason.

The 100 round looks way too big to me, the 60 doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure their main motive was to reduce the need to reload in military conflicts. It would be interesting to know how many rounds the average soldier blows off per incident. Is it going to save a lot of downtime lost to reloading, or is it just not a big issue. There's also the issue that if you have a mag malfunction you are down twice as many rounds, but again I'm not in the sand so I couldn't say how often that really happens.

I'm sure we'll see youtube videos with guys melting barrels shortly
smile.gif

The 60 round magazine loaded weighs 2lbs the 100 round weighs 3.3 lbs loaded. The 60 you can easily get into the prone with gear on. A buddy of mine is 5'6" and he can get in the prone no problem with the sixty with kit on.

The 100 is long and doesn't have as many instances where it could be used as the 60. The 60 will also fit into a lot of double 30rnd mag pouches. I think the 60 rounder has a lot of uses one being the Army is switching all the M4 to full auto and the guy designated to lay down the suppressive fire can carry one in the gun.

I want a 60, for the sole purpose of 3 gun. Current mags hold 48, and course designers are making more and more sourses that are going to push the limit of the 48's, the 60's would just be nice.

But at 129 for the 60, I gotta pass.

Said it before, I'll say it again- aside from an auto rifle role, I see no practical purpose for these. Weight and bulk on the gun, more lost rounds if mag goes down, a lot tougher to know how many rounds you've got left (for consolidation and initiation next action- do I have 30-40 in there or do I have 15? Roll with it or swap it out?)

I'll stick to my 30rd and 20rd mags.

I am going to have to get a pair of the 100 rounders for pig hunting.

For military, I am thinking it would be a great tool to have one in the gun for suppressive fire/break contact in an ambush scenario. With 30's in the pouches for the reasons listed above (malfunctions and other Murphy moments).

For law enforcement, not only no but hell no. I can see the lawyers drooling when they get you in court and show that thing off. Plus for all of the above reasons cited above regarding size/weight, etc. LE is kind of the opposite of MIL in this instance. I used to carry a 20 rounder in my M-4 for entries just to reduce size/weight. The chances of encountering a squad of AQ in a crack house were pretty low. Then I carried 30 rounders in my pouches. But, realistically, if we got to the point of reloading something had gone way off the rails.

I believe that these were developed with the IAR in mind.
080910mc_iar_800.JPG

They make alot more sense if you take that into consideration.
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout...-hk416-variant/

If you replace the SAW, you still need a way to feed the appropriate amount of ammunition to the IAR.
I personally would favor a design more like the BETA-C due to its lower profile.
Since BETA mags aren't known for their reliability, I can see why an alternative would be advantageous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How they hell are you saposed to go prone?</div></div>

With a 100 round mag you don't have to go prone.....

rambo-7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How they hell are you saposed to go prone?</div></div>

With a 100 round mag you don't have to go prone.....

rambo-7.jpg
</div></div>

I can just see it now, Stallone with two fully auto ARs with two surefire 100 rounders sticking out the bottom in the next Rambo. Honestly though I could see the advantage of the 60 rounder for 3 gun considering its the same size as two stacked side by side, but 100 is just a little much.