• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Action???

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Has anyone ordered and received a Surgeon action lately? I ordered a 591 16months ago and still nothing. I called Surgeon today and lady said she had no idea when actions will be made again and for me to call Mr. Ford. His voicemail said Mcmillan Firearms. Apparently he is over Surgeon now?

Last I heard the only way to get a Surgeon action was to purchase a full build.

You may want to look at a Defiance action.

Why Defiance or Bighorn? Why not Stiller, Pierce, BAT, Borden, etc? I lost track of time when I realized it had been 16 months and heard nothing from Surgeon. When I ordered the action, the lady said that was the last order they were taking so they could get caught up. Never thought it would take this long.

I was told the same thing...I have an xl on order since November 2012. If I understand correctly from my last conversation with them, they said they have suspended production at the moment but I am told that orders that did get put in will be filled... Just dont know when they will resume production..

Sad to see these companies sell.

They seem to die a slow death once the founder/owner gives up control no matter what reassurance is made to the contrary.

R.I.P. Surgeon Precision Rifles, you had a good run while it lasted.

Last edited:
So much for my build. I guess I'll just be sitting here waiting.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I believe the owner of surgeon still owns 49% and strategic armory corp owns the rest. Sac has also bought armalite, thor suppressors and now mcmillan rifles. I believe all surgeon, armalite, mcmillan rifles will now all be built in the same shop in Phoenix AZ. Surgeon actions will continue to be made in Prague ok. If someone heard otherwise, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the owner of surgeon still owns 49% and strategic armory corp owns the rest. Sac has also bought armalite, thor suppressors and now mcmillan rifles. I believe all surgeon, armalite, mcmillan rifles will now all be built in the same shop in Phoenix AZ. Surgeon actions will continue to be made in Prague ok. If someone heard otherwise, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked to the guys i know who worked there today. Last time i talked to them they were still there. They Got laid off march 1st. Actions are still being made in prauge. But he said it was a matter of time before they probably get moved. That was his opinion not fact. Said its gonna be built up into a freedom group type conglomarate and sold off in a year or two probably. So look forward for your surgeon rifles at bass pro and academy christmas 2017. $399 black friday sales :)

Talked to the guys i know who worked there today. Last time i talked to them they were still there. They Got laid off march 1st. Actions are still being made in prauge. But he said it was a matter of time before they probably get moved. That was his opinion not fact. Said its gonna be built up into a freedom group type conglomarate and sold off in a year or two probably. So look forward for your surgeon rifles at bass pro and academy christmas 2017. $399 black friday sales :)

Both of your posts are nothing but complete fucking misinformation. It'd serve you well to delete both of them.

You are getting pretty accurate info.

Sorry its just what i was told buy a guy who for fact worked there. In both post i stated i didnt know it was fact it was someones opinion. Maybe a disgruntled ex employee for all i know. But thats what i was told. And i was joking on the last post i dont think surgeons are gonna be at bass pro.

But dont you tell me what will serve me well motherfucker. I dont care who you are or who you fucking know or think you know or how good a shot or any of that bullshit. Im in oklahoma pm me and come threaten me to my face its a internet forum people are gonna talk. They do it everytime a company sells because most of the time the products eat shit after. Not very often does quality control go up in these situations.

I love my state i love surgeon and wish they were staying 100% here. I was proud the best bolt gun in the world was made here. Its people talking i dont give damn either way but save your thinly veild threats for someone else

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody threatened you. However, I'm the guy that will gladly meet up with you. PM inbound with my personal info.

Thats enough boys. I just asked a simple question. All I want is the truth.

Ill admit to being wrong for gossiping. I do know and talked to now ex employees there. Im sure there is bad feelings and there are two sides to both stories. Trevor im sorry i snapped. When someone tells me what will serve me well i dont like it. Now that we have exchanged addresses we can hook up and drink some beer and shoot some guns together and after we get to know each other better we can have a good old fist fight thats what i do with most of my good friends. Im man enough to admit when im wrong. And it was wrong to spread gossip. I wish the best for surgeon rifles. I dont care for or watch pro sports. shooting is my sport. so it's like when browns left cleaveland i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just feel Surgeon should have contacted the customers that had orders placed and said something.

Ill admit to being wrong for gossiping. I do know and talked to now ex employees there. Im sure there is bad feelings and there are two sides to both stories. Trevor im sorry i snapped. When someone tells me what will serve me well i dont like it. Now that we have exchanged addresses we can hook up and drink some beer and shoot some guns together and after we get to know each other better we can have a good old fist fight thats what i do with most of my good friends. Im man enough to admit when im wrong. And it was wrong to spread gossip. I wish the best for surgeon rifles. I dont care for or watch pro sports. shooting is my sport. so it's like when browns left cleaveland i guess.

Fair enough. No big deal.

Not gonn happen Sir.
Look at Dakota, Nesika Bay, etc.
They bought the company & name for a reason, because they are the best. For better or for worse, have faith.
Nobody can work forever. Look what he did, from a shop outside his home.
A man of honor wants his legacy to continue,
Tangent Theta?

If I had anything on order and it was 2 years later, I would consider it null and void... They sure are pumping out rifles everyday for sell on their site and for vendors selling them on GB. I would think that the story about getting caught up is complete BS, and I wouldn't hold my breath on waiting for a action I ordered in 2012.

I guess the left handed Surgeon action is out of the question too. I put my name on that list for a build but I guess that list got thrown in the trash. The only lefty surgeon of I know belongs to Dustin Morris as he was doing testing on them via matches. So sad...

About 2 months ago, I talked to a guy who works at Surgeon. He said they had been on a pace to have all action backorders filled by the end of June but that pace had been altered and he didn't know why. He also said he didn't know if they would start taking orders when they got the backorders filled.

About two weeks ago I received this in an email...."We don't have any plans of releasing actions in the near future. I apologize for the inconvenience."

Seems like something must be happening at Surgeon to cause, what appears to be, irrational business practices.

Last edited:
Why don't you fellas spend your money with companies that will gladly provide you with a great product in a timely manner? Surgeon isn't building the space shuttle. There's plenty of great action builders out there.

Big horn
stiller
defiance
xtreme.

I have solid experience with all but the extreme. Cant
say I see what the nut busting over a surgeon is all about.

I have considered all of those but would prefer a Surgeon. I think my second choice would be a BAT. They are a year out on orders. I've been told Brunos or Wolf Precision may have some similar to what I want within the next couple months. That may be what I buy.

Last edited:
I have five different builds around Surgeon actions, including a Surgeon built .308 that was one of the very first rifles they made. They are a very good action, no question, but IMO, they aren't the "Holy Grail" of custom tactical actions. They may have had that corner of the market for awhile, but a lot of good action builders have caught up and even surpassed them.

I won't be getting rid of any of my Surgeons in the near future, but my rifles built around Defiance/Templar actions get as much, or more use, shoot, and function just as well as any of my Surgeon actions. There are features on my new Templar VII(Deviant) action that I like better than Surgeon, such as an M16 style extracter, and angled bolt handle.

As far as Defiance actions binding and not cycling as well as a Surgeon, I call total BS on that....bolts "wear in" with use, the more you operate them, the smoother they get. Course, I do shoot my rifles a bit.....none of them spend much time in the safe.

I think my second choice would be a BAT. They are a year out on orders.

BAT's from Bruce may be a year out but the BAT Tactical action are 2 months at the most. I've had them all and currently shoot a Surgeon and a BAT. The BAT is superior, drops in a Rem 700 cut stock no problem, and are slick as snot out of the box with zero break in time. I've said this many times, if folks got their hands on them they would instantly recognize the quality and function. I ran mine at RO in nasty conditions and it never once thought about binding up. The new Stiller Spectre is also a great choice for a integral action, especially if you run a chassis or Manners Mini Chassis.

About 2 months ago, I talked to a guy who works at Surgeon. He said they had been on a pace to have all action backorders filled by the end of June but that pace had been altered and he didn't know why.

Because the folks running the show now aren't worried about the little profit from action sales or supporting the sport like when Preston was running the shop. I'm sure they would rather just keep on pumping out 6k rifles that would cost 4k anywhere else.

Bottom line. Yes Surgeon got bought out. Nuff said. best choice is to inquire to both local smiths and those afar what their recommendations are. If you want a Defiance that has the same integral rail, you got your answer. If you have some flexibility in actions, sky is the limit. Built ALOT of rifles on Surgeon actions. They are well made. Are they the end all? Doubt it. Built more guns on Stiller, Bat, Defiance, and raggedy old Rem's that I trued that shot as well as the Surgeons if not better. Don't get caught up in name brands. Proof is on the paper.

Because the folks running the show now aren't worried about the little profit from action sales or supporting the sport like when Preston was running the shop.

This is pretty accurate.....this is also the reason there is no longer a "Team Surgeon".

Does anyone know if Bighorn approves of salt bath nitriding their receivers?

Why Defiance or Bighorn? Why not Stiller, Pierce, BAT, Borden, etc? I lost track of time when I realized it had been 16 months and heard nothing from Surgeon. When I ordered the action, the lady said that was the last order they were taking so they could get caught up. Never thought it would take this long.

Plenty of good actions out there, I agree!
Bruno's usually has BATs at least once a month in HR. While most people will squak at the $150 premium ($1450 vs $1300 from BAT direct)...the 8 month wait time is non existent.

Well Surgeon called me today with BAD news. After waiting almost 16 months, they said that they are only building complete rifles because there is more money to be made and are backlogged on complete builds. Thats fine but they could have called me alot sooner that way I could have cancelled and went with a different action. He said that Surgeon got bought out about 2yrs ago. The new owner also owns Armalite, Mcmillan Firearms, and AWC suppressors. Piss poor customer service!!

Surgeon Action???

Well Surgeon called me today with BAD news. After waiting almost 16 months, they said that they are only building complete rifles because there is more money to be made and are backlogged on complete builds. Thats fine but they could have called me alot sooner that way I could have cancelled and went with a different action. He said that Surgeon got bought out about 2yrs ago. The new owner also owns Armalite, Mcmillan Firearms, and AWC suppressors. Piss poor customer service!!
Wade no longer works there, which tells me, knowing Wade as I do, that Preston has already made his money and that Surgeon no longer gives a fuck.

An email from Surgeon:

Surgeon has joined the Strategic Armory Corps family of companies. We are now partnered with ArmaLite, Inc., McMillan Firearms and AWC Silencers.* That means more choices for YOU, from world-class
semi-automatic or bolt-action rifles to the finest in suppressed fire. Please visit Strategic Armory Corps' web site for more on all of our companies.*Strategic Armory Corps*

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wade no longer works there, which tells me, knowing Wade as I do, that Preston has already made his money and that Surgeon no longer gives a fuck.

And because its on the internets its true

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

My source for that opinion was not the Internet.

Well I can tell you your source is wrong. When people buy companies they are looking to do a couple of things. First is to get their investment back. You don't do that buy running the company in the ground. Second they look to grow the business. Again doesn't happen if you take care of the customer. I can tell you that Strategic has made investments in equipment and other process to make the operations more efficient. There are people that have been there long before wade that are still there. I know one in particular very well and I know he gives a shit. And what I know about the new owner, he definitely gives a shit. Boo hoo you can't buy actions anymore. Why would they sell their actions so other smiths can build guns? You want a surgeon action build a surgeon gun.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Well I can tell you your source is wrong. When people buy companies they are looking to do a couple of things. First is to get their investment back. You don't do that buy running the company in the ground. Second they look to grow the business. Again doesn't happen if you take care of the customer. I can tell you that Strategic has made investments in equipment and other process to make the operations more efficient. There are people that have been there long before wade that are still there. I know one in particular very well and I know he gives a shit. And what I know about the new owner, he definitely gives a shit. Boo hoo you can't buy actions anymore. Why would they sell their actions so other smiths can build guns? You want a surgeon action build a surgeon gun.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

So....the fact Wade went off and started his own company........and Surgeon shit canned Team Surgeon......what exactly are we supposed to think about the whole deal now?