• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Swap out Glock guide rod assembly?

IAK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2005
California
Tried a search but couldn't come up with anything so I apologize if this has been asked. I'm a new/casual shooter when it comes to handguns. Maybe it's just me, but the plastic guide rod assembly just looks and feels flimsy to me. Are you guys swapping them out for steel assemblies or am I good to go.

Re: Swap out Glock guide rod assembly?

I've been swapping mine out since the first one broke on me.

I use a rod that is setup for the factory spring. I just remove the spring off the $6.00 guide rod and put it on the ISMI (IIRC) stainless captured GR.

Pay attention when you buy one as there are some that only work with round springs like Wolff.

I dont think there is any real reason to swap it out unless you are going to play with recoil spring weight and want to make it a little easier. You can pop off the end of the factory rod and replace the spring that way but its really better to swap rods if you want to change springs.

I put a Sprinco recoil reducer in my G20. Subjectively, I think it does reduce muzzle flip a bit. It's a dual-spring design, much like what now is OE in some of the Gen4 Glocks.

Really the only reason to swap out the stock recoil assembly is to use a lighter spring. If you go to a 13, 14, or 15# spring (depending on ammo) you will likely notice a much nicer shooting pistol. Seems like plenty of guys are ditching the new generation 4 assembly as well due to reliability concerns. I have no experience with them, but have seen some chatter on the forums about it.

I put alot of rounds downrange with box stock Glocks, I see no reason to RR the factory rod, and I never my clean my Glocks so that's the reason one hasn't broken on me.

IMHO, there's no reason to swap out the recoil spring assembly on the Glock, unless you're referring to the newest Gen4 versions...

i havent replaced mine yet... but my G23 has a few thousand rounds down the tube now.. ive been considering adding an aftermarket barrel

but on guide rods... im replacing the plastic guide rod with an SS rod with the factory spring on it. Purely for asthetics.. i will be keeping a factory guide rod/spring for backup

I've broken factory plastic guide rods, particularly the captured rod's plastic endcap. I replaced it with a SS guide captured guide rod and after thousands of rounds, the hex bolt edges have rounded off enough to allow the spring to pop off. As long as I don't disassemble it I'm fine. Its a cheap and easy fix by purchasing another hex bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone replaced their guide rod / spring in their older model Glocks with the new Gen 4 set up? Any thoughts good bad or indifferent? </div></div>
Won't work. They are completely different set-ups and both the end caps and barrel lug seating caps are different diameters.

As for OP, Replace it or not, it doesn't matter until you are shooting serious rounds on a regular basis.

In short, mental masterbation. There are reasons why Glock chose that material, there are test to show what the end result is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In short, mental masterbation. There are reasons why Glock choose that material, there are test to show what the end result is.</div></div>
They made a lot of other choices, too. And they apparently also made a lot of mistakes, otherwise there wouldn't have been any need for the 2nd, 3rd and now 4th generations.

Shorter, understanding the remarkable difference between product improvement vs correcting product failure.

For the unwashed:

Gen II
Checkering front strap and serrations to the back strap

GEN III
accessory rail, thumb rests on both sides, finger grooves on the front strap. Later, modified extractor that also serves as a loaded chamber indicator, cross pin. Black or olive drab and, yes, a dummy gun.

GEN IV
ergonomics, recoil spring assembly, rough texture frame, grip checkering, and interchangeable backstraps. Mechanically, dual recoil spring, slide and barrel shelf have been resized due to the larger diameter of this dual recoil spring assembly. The front portion of the polymer frame under the slide also has been widened and internally enlarged in order to accommodate the dual recoil spring assembly.

Next.

Iak,

The stock internals are good to go. There is no need to replace them. Ask any Glock armorer this question, and they should say the same.

I'd shoot mine with just the recoil spring before I'd put in a stainless/titanium/rare-earth-hardened guide rod.

Rant off.

I've tried some of the aftermarket assemblies and didn't see any advantage (unless of course you're shooting really light or really hot loads for competition). Now I just use the OEM parts. FWIW, most broken guide rods are due to incorrect re-assembly and most people never know they've broken one until they strip the pistol again.