• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA SS ~ 3-15x42 ~ Some initial impressions and pictures

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Let me start by saying that I haven't made it out to the range yet, hopefully later this week. Can't comment on the glass, tracking, etc.

First impressions are really good. Great size and price point for a scope with the features it has.

My likes at this point are:
Great size, good mix of size and features/magnification
Good price point, let's me put Mid-magnification FFP scopes on 22 trainers, hunting rifles, etc and not break the bank
Clicks are solid and audible, probably the best I've seen and heard in a sub $1,500 scope
5 mil per turn is fine on a max 15x scope; if going to 800+ yards I'd likely be using my higher powered 10 mil per turn scopes.
Smooth....The magnification and parallax turn easy and smooth, better than most all my other scopes.
I really like the built in cattail lever, easy to remove if you don't want it, but makes adjustments very easy.
Did I mention size, it's a lot of scope and it's not huge like a lot of tactical options out there.

Can't comment on the glass except that it appears to be on par with other SS scopes, more than adequate for all my tactical and varmint/game shooting needs.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hey Jason, Looking forward to a more in depth review / overview!

Is the glass comparable to SWFA HD or standard? I see the turrets look to be off the standard series, I was hoping for something closer to the 5-20.

They will sell lots of these. I'll want to trade in my SS 12x when I can.

I wonder if it will kill the SS 3-9x sales. If I had a SS 3-9 I'd probably trade that in on this 3-15.

Do the knobs feel nicer than their fixed power line of scopes? I was settled on the PST 2.5-10x32 for my lightweight rifle but I guess I better hold off for further review of this thing...

FNG,
I would say no. The caps on the 3-9 fasten with a single screw down through the top, and on the classic line they have the screw(s) on the side, like a set screw. Besides, I'm unaware of being able to buy turret caps seperately. When I had a issue with the turret caps not lining up properly with the hash marks on my SS 3-9, SWFA would only replace the entire scope, vs just sending me out new caps. They told me at the time that they don't keep just the caps in stock as replacement parts......... However, that may not be the case today.

Definitely awaiting a review on this thing as I was set on a PST until I saw this thing now I am not sure.

Definitely awaiting a review on this thing as I was set on a PST until I saw this thing now I am not sure.

Same here. I bet John McQuay and the guys at 8541 Tactical will have a review here in the next couple weeks as to sway us one way or the other buy the late April release date.

Was aware of that, but FNG was asking if 3-9 caps would fit on the "classic chassis type" that is on the new 3-15. Top single screw vs 3 side set screws.

Waiting to hear back on the range report on this one. Looking at picking up a fixed 20x swfa and a maybe the 3-15 for a 5.56 SPR build I've been gathering parts for.

The turrets on this scope sure are ugly. Otherwise they look like a good buy. Waiting on some reviews.

Was hoping for something in the HD line at about double this price point. Basically a smaller and lighter version Nightforce F1. At this price point, it should give the Viper PST some competition though.

Was very interested in this scope until I saw the weight. I just can't see putting it on an 8.5 lb hunting rig. I wish the 3-9 had parallax adjustment... Alas, still searching for the perfect long range hunting scope...

John

FireEMT you are correct I saw the top screw hole versus the side but did not register, thanks. the scope does look and sound good as usual with the SS line. I too am on the fence with the Vortex line. Will be interesting and the price looks really good.

How much does the 3-15 weigh? My SS 1-6 is 22.4 oz, pretty heavy for 1-6 I think, apples to oranges but whatever its a great scope.

24 ounces. I could definitely see it on a chunk, but I dunno about on something significantly lighter, like my 8.5 lb .260.

John

24 ounces. I could definitely see it on a chunk, but I dunno about on something significantly lighter, like my 8.5 lb .260.

John

SWFA SS 3-9x42MM 19 oz (for comparison)

Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50MM 30 oz (30mm tube)
IOR 4-16 x 50mm 35 oz (30mm tube)
S&B 4-16x50mm 31.5 ox (34mm tube)
USO 3.2-17x44mm 33 oz (30mm Tube)
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm 22 oz. (30mm Tube)

At 24 oz, the SWFA 3-15x42mm, just looking at the competition's FFP scopes in similar power ranges, that 24 oz. doesn't look too bad.....

Last edited:
How do you like the reticle ? I am use to reticles with numbers listing the mils (eg 2, 4, 6, 8....). This provides me with with holdover
(FFP reticle) and I think I can determing the holdover quicker , but let me know if that is not a problem with the 3-5x42 ffp reticle.

SWFA SS 3-9x42MM 19 oz (for comparison)

Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50MM 30 oz (30mm tube)
IOR 4-16 x 50mm 35 oz (30mm tube)
S&B 4-15x50mm 31.5 ox (34mm tube)
USO 3.2-17x44mm 33 oz (30mm Tube)
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm 22 oz. (30mm Tube)

At 24 oz, the SWFA 3-15x42mm, just looking at the competition's FFP scopes in similar power ranges, that 24 oz. doesn't look too bad.....

You may be right. Might have to give one a try...

John

Jasonk, did you ever get to the range with it?
Please come service your thread, inquiring minds want to know!!

First impressions are really good. Great size and price point for a scope with the features it has.

My likes at this point are:
Great size, good mix of size and features/magnification
Good price point, let's me put Mid-magnification FFP scopes on 22 trainers, hunting rifles, etc and not break the bank
Clicks are solid and audible, probably the best I've seen and heard in a sub $1,500 scope
5 mil per turn is fine on a max 15x scope; if going to 800+ yards I'd likely be using my higher powered 10 mil per turn scopes.
Smooth....The magnification and parallax turn easy and smooth, better than most all my other scopes.
I really like the built in cattail lever, easy to remove if you don't want it, but makes adjustments very easy.
Did I mention size, it's a lot of scope and it's not huge like a lot of tactical options out there.

Can't comment on the glass except that it appears to be on par with other SS scopes, more than adequate for all my tactical and varmint/game shooting needs.

I might have just found my 2013 hunting scope.....

It's a neat little scope, here is a close up of the magnification ring with the little removeable assist they have on it... not quite a cat tail but works.

I'm not the guy to ask, too many people are far too critical of glass for my taste.

Personally I don't fret over any of the stuff I read when when people complain about the glass. I must be too focused on hitting the target to worry about a yellow or purple tint along the outer edge of the FOV, but people obsess over it.

In my opinion, it's well worth the cost. Doesn't look any different than a Leupold to me.

Hope to have the full review and video done before the April sales date.

Went home and played with it at dinner. Clicks are very distinct. The mini-cattail is kind of slick. I will hold my opinion until I see if I loose some skin over it.

About two weeks have past and we are 9 days away from the release date, the three members above have prerelease samples yet we have no detailed review... still watching with guarded optimism.

jasonk Lowlight and LoneWolfUSMC anything else you can add...

Last edited:
I won't be buying this scope, don't really need. I'm just a SWFA fan, I guess.
I really really like my SS 1-6 & the SS 12x suits me for longer range if I want.

I think SWFA is doing good job with great value and quality. SS 1-6 features & quality & value are outstanding, IMO.

I mounted the scope on my Tac Ops Tango, but unfortunately it has been snowing every single week since March around here.

We had a foot last week, and now we are expecting another 8 inches today and tomorrow. If the weather breaks like they say, I will try to make it to the range.

883994_10151614345147953_205018637_o.jpg

I will say the quality is what you come to expect from the new SWFA Super Sniper Line, and I looked it compared to my 10x HD here and really didn't see any noticeable difference, I am sure some finnegan will look at compare to the glass in some $2k scope, but frankly I think it looks great despite not being marked HD. It's a solid optic.

There should be no reason to be on the fence here, if you are in the market and the price point is right, you won't be disappointed. Sure I haven't run it through its paces but SWFA has not disappointed with the quality of their optics, only thing anyone can bitch about the supply, which is not an issue here.

I've been swamped at home and work, but the weather has finally gotten good enough that I will make an effort to hit the range!! Plan to do some reloading tonight while the wife is out with the girls and will hit the range tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest!!

You will have a pre-release date report!! My apologies, I truly haven't had time, as you can see from my post history the last couple weeks I've been busier than normal with other parts of life. :)

(Tag) Really like to see some comparisons between this and the Vortex offerings...