• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA-SS Tax Day Group Buy: 1-6, 5-20, and more!

I emailed SWFA and found out from Skylar that they are in the process of shipping 200 of these scopes. He said the turret caps are in and are being shipped too. My order is being held up by the Seekins rings not being in stock. FYI to those who might have been "skipped over". I appreciate a company that replies quickly, and for the good deal made possible by FB coupon.
Sam

Not in on the group buy but did order a 10x42 mrad ... got my backorder email today....... Im a sad panda

Not in on the group buy but did order a 10x42 mrad ... got my backorder email today....... Im a sad panda

How about the 12x42? The difference in field of view isn't that much but the difference in the extra 2x is well worth it I think.
Maybe think about it and call them, I dunno they might have it now?

I really like like my SS 12x42

It could be but honestly I dont need the extra magnification. I almost went with the 6x version. This is going on a rifle I am building that will probably never be shot past 800 yards with the majority of shots 300 yds and under. Think of a folding Urban precision rifle. Something that can fit in a backpack.

MY parts I have on order

Savage 10 action .308 (still deciding if I want to convert it to 7mm-08)
17 in Shilen Varmint profile Match grade stainless barrel
Vortex flash hider
SWFA 10x42 MRAD
Badger ord 1 piece base/rings
Choate Folding sniper stock (not the best I know but it folds up small)

I received my 1-6 today. I ordered by phone so there was no confirmation or notice given. It was just a pleasant surprise today at my office. Overall, looks like a great scope, and I have an ADM mount on the way from Primary Arms. My initial impression is that this is going to be a really nice scope on my mid range 5.56 carbine.

Received mine today and had to have been near the end of the group buy, ordered on June 12th.

It could be but honestly I dont need the extra magnification. I almost went with the 6x version. This is going on a rifle I am building that will probably never be shot past 800 yards with the majority of shots 300 yds and under. Think of a folding Urban precision rifle. Something that can fit in a backpack.

MY parts I have on order

Savage 10 action .308 (still deciding if I want to convert it to 7mm-08)
17 in Shilen Varmint profile Match grade stainless barrel
Vortex flash hider
SWFA 10x42 MRAD
Badger ord 1 piece base/rings
Choate Folding sniper stock (not the best I know but it folds up small)

Good for you, and that's going to be a sweet barrel I bet...

Hmm on a fresh battery, my illumination is enough to make my reticle red when i point at a clear blue sky or sunlit dirt. I can't imagine why I'd ever need it to be brighter.

Against white, I think i'd rather just have it not illuminated.

Folks, I'm pretty sure you're going to be happy with the way it illuminates.

Turret covers came in today, thanks SWFA for a great group buy. Too bad so many people cried like little babies.

I got mine yesterday and it came with the turret covers. I'll have to play with it more but the brightest setting on the illumination is very bright. Looking at a window it was clearly lit.

I got mine today as well. Both of them. The 1-6x did have it's caps floating in the box. I'm not sure if I can run this optic as a 1x, like I can with a Aimpoint (or Eotech to be more of a closer comparison with the ring). I was impress how bright the ring is, but unsure how bright it would look during a bright sunny day. I did like how they did every other slot set the illumination to off. Only thing I wish was the turrets were external adjustable like the other scope.

For the price I can't really complain.

I got my turrets today. Hate to sound like a n00b but what is the secret to putting them on? They have threads but there is no threads for them to screw onto?

Quinc- If you look at the base of the turrets, there are thread protectors covering them so you are not required to leave the caps on at all times.

I wonder if it's waterproof without the caps. If it is, that would be awesome, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Ugh.. looking at my 1-6x24 scope, I just found a dent toward the front. Thought it was just a bit a dirt, but upon closer inspection it was a dent. :(
I wonder if it was caused by the floating caps that they threw in the box banged it up during shipping, or if it was damaged before that. Going to have to contact SWFA now. SWFA 1-6x24 Scope damaged.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if it's waterproof without the caps. If it is, that would be awesome, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Ugh.. looking at my 1-6x24 scope, I just found a dent toward the front. Thought it was just a bit a dirt, but upon closer inspection it was a dent. :(
I wonder if it was caused by the floating caps that they threw in the box banged it up during shipping, or if it was damaged before that. Going to have to contact SWFA now.View attachment 5080

What are the other safe queens talking smack? :) You could just toss it down the driveway a couple times to even out the dings.

Got mine last week. The HD glass is pretty great. The reticle is fantastic and perfect for a 1-6 optic; it was very well thought-out. Turrets have a nice feel and tons of adjustment. Was able to hit IPSC silhouette at 750 yards at 6x power. Illumination is adequate in all conditions, but I don't think anyone should have ever called it daylight bright.

I am not used to MIL, I do wish SWFA had MOA/MOA options on their scopes. I can deal with it. Will need practice with my spotter buddies.

I got my caps yesterday and put them on. Decided I prefer the external turrets. In any case, it is pretty cool to be able to choose between caps or thread protectors.

I wonder if it's waterproof without the caps.

Yes they are designed to be external turrets. The caps are only provided to prevent the settings from getting adjusted accidentally; they are not needed for weather protection.

Last edited:
I was contemplating selling this off because I sold off the gun it was going on a while back.... but after playing with it a bit, I just can't do it... it's too friggin bad ass.

Guess it's time to build an AR specifically for this scope.

I love that you can go from covered to exposed turrets, with thread protectors and all. WOW

I have to admit, I love the scope. Got it mounted and had it at the range last week. This will be perfect for a carbine class I plan on taking and hope to get a chance to try it out past 100yds. Turret caps came yesterday and after a couple minutes figured out the thread protector. One came off easy, the other I used the backside of a razor knife blade in one of the tiny slots and rotated it off. Now I just hope they get the throw lever/switch lever in stock, as it is needed. All in all it is just what I hoped for ( except the whole wait thing).

I got in on the combo deal in the last hour or so before it expired. A 5 lb. package is inbound at this time so I think its safe to assume that its both scopes. I'd also say that most orders under the Facebook promotion should have shipped out by now. Patiently waiting for the big brown truck.

Received the 1-6 a few weeks ago and finally sent it off to a fellow SH member.

It was a long wait.

Would I do it again? Probably. The amount of money saved is significant enough for me to wait. I've waited longer for custom 1911s.

BOOOOOOOOOOOM BABYYYYYYYY !!!! My SWFA 1-6X was delivered today & I can't open the box because I am working night shift (no biggy - I waited this long ) . This will sit in a BOBRO extended mount ontop of my Rainier Arms RUC 16" - can't wait to try it out !!

Pretty certain I was the last guy in line on this group buy. Got mine today and am totally satisfied. Thanks very much SWFA. A fine, fine product.

Sweet.. just got mine back.. sent in my 1-6 back due being received with damage to the tube.

Hmm.. I found one thing I don't like about the 1-6, but it's a minor issue for me since it's going on a benchrest rifle.. When illuminated, you can see the illuminated reticule being magnified when looking from the front, hence if used in a tactical situation at night, your target could spot your illuminated scope when your rifle is aimed in their direction.

Hmm.. I found one thing I don't like about the 1-6, but it's a minor issue for me since it's going on a benchrest rifle.. When illuminated, you can see the illuminated reticule being magnified when looking from the front, hence if used in a tactical situation at night, your target could spot your illuminated scope when your rifle is aimed in their direction.

did you also know that you can see the red dot and ring if you look through an Eotech backwards? good thing the Afghans didn't use that against me..

Here's the image I was talking about.

This is about level 5 power out of 11, visible from the front of the scope.
IMG_0935copy_zps09b78593.jpg

IMG_0938_zpsdce756bc.jpg

Playing with my scopes, I believe this is the norm when compared to my other FFP scopes. With the thick ring on this scope, it just makes it more visible vs thin lines on reticules on my US Optics and Nightforce.

I'm going to try this in the dark at a power of 1-3. At night you may not need it at even 5 power. Maybe 1-3 it won't be so pronounced from the front?

I had mine on 1 or 2 at dusk since it starts to cause glare in the fov if any higher. Looking at something barely visible in low light is even more difficult when looking through a bright red reticle. I actually prefer the dim green of my Bushnell ET6245 in that light but it's not much of an issue as long as it's at a low setting.

I'll have to play around with it a bit more to get used to the reticle at 1 or 2x but I noticed the ring was very thick at 3-5x (I wish they made it as thin as the outer crosshairs - 1mil?). I don't get to shoot very often so the 11 month wait wasn't as bad as it was for some others and I'm very glad I ordered a year ago. My rifles are finally done!

Spikes 18" mid LW50 barrel SS 1-6x24, 20" LaRue Stealth SS 5-20x50, and the BCM mid/CompM4 got in the pic as well.
20130515170737.jpg

Last edited:
What was the date of your order? I put an order in sometime in Dec. and wondering about where they're at now.

My SS 1-6 switchview lever arrives tomorrow. It's the final touch on a complete rifle, finally.

It was a rough ride on this thread for a time. It's over.

Good luck everybody :)

Last Guy in line

Pretty certain I was the last guy in line on this group buy. Got mine today and am totally satisfied. Thanks very much SWFA. A fine, fine product.

Any idea what the date you ordered was, I didn't get I on the group buy, buy I did order the 5-30 around Dec. 20 and wondering when it might be coming.

I just got a shipping confirmation for the 5-20 and 1-6 from the group buy. Am I the last one? The email says my order was received 6/20/12 at 12:00 A.M. which sounds about right from what I remember.

I pray to God that they run another deal like this!!! I'm desperate for a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 but am holding out for a group purchase, Labor Day Sale, Black Friday Sale, Cyber Monday sale, or ANY Sale!!! Patiently waiting because I know there's a deal on the horizon, it's been a year after all. :D

Several persons bought the 5-20 because of the super deal. Sometimes they come up for sale on SH, as they had no need of the scope, they just wanted the discount. Most likely if you looked every day, one would come up in a month. Price would probably be $1,200 if new, the seller is trying to make a profit on the group buy.

Several persons bought the 5-20 because of the super deal. Sometimes they come up for sale on SH, as they had no need of the scope, they just wanted the discount. Most likely if you looked every day, one would come up in a month. Price would probably be $1,200 if new, the seller is trying to make a profit on the group buy.
I've watched several pop up in the for sale section the last several weeks in both illuminated and non illuminated. There's also ones to be had on samplelist.com for about $200 less than cost. I just have a funny feeling that if I went with either of those options I would be missing out on something big come Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Plus, I still need a Harris bipod and rings or Bobro QD. So basically I've got a big chunk of change that will be coming out of my pocket and I'd like to take care of everything at once instead of stock piling and hoping I can find everything used on the forum.

Last edited: