• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Re: SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Tag. I get my SS 3x9x42 on Tues or Wed. and if all is good, I will start saving up for this scope. Very nice initial pics, can't wait for reviews.

Question: Is it so wrong to be IN LOVE with a scope??

Well, I have been a SS fan, and it just got worse...

DK

There is going to be ALOT of other scopes for sale very soon...

DK

Now for the base, i think ill go with either LaRue or Badger.

I was thinking of getting SS10x42HD,but now i might be waiting,I have the SS10x42.I am quit happy with it.

Definately interested. How much elevation travel does it have?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the illumination:

Reticle checked for straightness and click value measured right on as accurately as I can measure. About 33.5 Mils of total elevation adjustment. In the 20 MOA AADMOUNT I've got 22.5 Mils of up left from my 100 yd zero.

Glass is OUTSTANDING! I'll have more comments soon. </div></div>

A couple specs people have been asking about: It's about 14.6" long, 31.5 oz, 30mm tube, very similar to the F1 in size/overall envelope. This prototype has no zero stop but they are working on one.

The clicks feel as good as I've felt on anything. Very positive, snappy with a very loud metallic clicking sound on each one.

The eyebox is as good or better than any of the ~20X scopes I have around, certainly no problems there. The eye relief is quite long, especially on 20X at around 4". It's eye relief doesn't stay perfectly constant but doesn't change as much as some brands throughout the power range. Since it actually gets a little bit longer on high powers it's not something you notice in a negative way.

I don't yet have any info on price/availability. However I think some of you may be guilty of a bit of wishful thinking hoping for the $1K mark. This is a much bigger more expensive scope to make than the fixed 10X. It isn't meant to compete in the PST price range, but in the F1/Razor/Light Tacital, etc range. I hope it will come in significantly cheaper than those because I'd like to buy at least a couple but I don't expect them to give them away. This is a high dollar scope.

Glass quality in low light, etc...... I have done some comparing:

PICT0012.JPG

Of those the one that compares is the IOR. It's noticably better than the Weaver 4-20 and PST 6-24.

PICT0023.JPG

For those who have the 3.5-18, you know how good it is. I found it very close in most measures to my Premier in the past:

PICT0151.JPG

Between the IOR and the SS, they're so close I can't really declare a winner. Resolution wise I can't tell which one is better. Staring at a chart through one I'll think it's better, then staring at the chart through the other I'll think it's better. They're that close. The IOR seems to have more of a contrasty "pop" to the image which might give it more of a "warm fuzzy to the eyeball" view in good light. But the more neutral colors of the SS make it nicer to look through in low light.

In short, good freaking glass.

Here are a couple pics I tried to show the low light/illumination in action. This was a good 30 minutes after official sundown so it's pretty darn dark. The camera makes it look lighter than it really is. The pole is around 300 yds away:

IOR on 10X:

PICT0204.JPG

SS on 10X:

PICT0200.JPG

IOR on 18X:

PICT0191.JPG

SS on 20X:

PICT0185.JPG

Keep in mind you can't judge the optical quality via the pics as they're both better than my picture taking makes them look. However, you can't take a good pic through a bad scope and every time I look at that last pic of the SS it's just amazing to me the detail it picks up at 300 yds in the dark! A lot of higher powered scopes that look OK in the day time really take a crap when you crank the power up in low light, there's no hint of that with this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tahqua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great pics and descriptions Jon!
It is too hard for me to tell from the pictures, but do you think this tactical scope would work for PD's. </div></div>
If PD's is all you want to do, of course a SFP scope with a thinner reticle is the natural choice. However this scope's reticle is pretty thin as FFP goes, covering less than 1" at 500 yds so it should do well. If that PD is really little and really far away, you can crank the turrets 1 mil in any direction and use the little dot inside one of the diamonds. At .03 Mil diameter it's tiny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How close does the parallax focus at? </div></div>
It's marked down to 35 yds and that seems pretty accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definately interested. How much elevation travel does it have? </div></div>
About 33.5 Mils (115 MOA or so).

And before this grows any legs:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking reticle.

I designed that back with the IOR A5 in 2007 glad to see some one picked it up.

I hope they give credit where its do.</div></div>
John Boyette had absolutely nothing to do with the design of this reticle. Nobody "picked up" anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just like to ask about the details of how you shot your photos, particularly the first few of the scope itself. Some of the clearest I've seen! </div></div>
Thanks, I chalk it up to good lighting. That spot between my house and shop on a sunny day gets a great spread of bright light from all angles filling it somehow. The camera is just an old DiMage Z1 Minolta, 3.2 MegaPixels in the auto setting. It's got an actual 10X optical zoom which sets it apart from many other cameras even with many more pixels.

I was hoping for a little less weight (wishful thinking I guess). But everything looks really good especially if they incorporate a zero stop. I would definately expect to pay over a grand for a scope like this.

If they can keep the price between 900-1200 i can see this scope taking off like a rocket everywhere.

On a thinner reticle, I sure wants one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they can keep the price between 900-1200 i can see this scope taking off like a rocket everywhere. </div></div>

for sure!!!

Price needs to be competitive with sightrons new scope and the PSTs, but this will still be a big seller im certain.

Now is SS would expand to us MOA guys, I know I would own a couple of these.

+1 on MOA versions of the HD series.

Maybe I'm the exception here, but with illumination, I prefer at least part of the reticle to be lit besides just the center. A few mils out in each direction would be helpful. I don't use my scopes for anything serious, but it's more visually pleasing to me and seems more useful for late evening use, etc.

I can also state I'd appreciate ZS on it, so the fact that they're working on that is fantastic to hear. Also, are they working on a sunshade? Would be mighty useful for those of us in sunny locations...
wink.gif

Aside from that, it looks good. Would take me a bit to get used to the diamonds, but I don't see that as being a problem for me. Great review so far, and fantastic pics!

ETA: Almost forgot, leaving a small empty space in the center of the reticle (a la Razor, I think?) would be great, if it could be done. At 20x, I think it would be handy to have, but like the illumination, I may be the odd man out here.

+1 Interested a zero stop & sunshade would be very nice.

Jon A, thanks for the review and lots of pics.

But... I hope SWFA will keep the price point reasonable. If it climbs into the forth digit, I likely won’t be buying. I'll just keep collecting used SFP NXS's with my money or PST's when FFP is required. Good glass or not it’s still a Super Sniper, a marketed value line due to factory direct pricing, no middle men.

I am glad to see they went with a short turret design rather than the tall turret of the 10x HD line and some others are using. No real need for a zero stop just run a 30 or 45 moa rail and with a 10 mil turret you will never be a full turn off your zero.

Jon thanks for your review and pics....love the details and the scope. Niles, I hate to differ from you but that scope if it comes in under 1500 is a steal. If they can bring it in at 1200 well hell they will own the market with as clear as that glass is compared to the IOR and I own that model of IOR then its a great scope. Wish I had one to play with myself side to side to my IOR.

Jon I will be needing another aadmount when SWFA releases the 5-20.

Agreed. "Value" is relative, and if it meets or beats Nightforce and Leupold in optical quality and features at several hundred dollars less, I think it will be a winner. If the glass is truly comparable to the top-of-the-market scopes (S&B, USO, Premier) it will be a steal even at $1500.

I agree about having a small section of the crosshairs illuminaetd in addition to the center dot. With a FFP reticle, I also think it makes sense to have the small gap between the center dot and the crosshairs. At 5x, it would be barely discernable, but at 20x it could be useful for ranging and precise aiming.

Anyone one who thinks this is going to sell for $800-$900 is really fooling themselves. The SS 10x42 HD sells for $800. This scope has HD glass I don’t think some people really understand what that means. My thinking on price goes like this the SS 1-4 HD sells for 800. The Vortex 1-4 HD sells for 1200 and the 5 – 20 HD sells for $2000.

2000/1200 = 0.6

X = the price of the super sniper 5 - 20
0.6X = 800

X = 800/0.6

X = $1333.33

I think that the scope will sell for around X

Nice thread. I'm a big fan of the SS scopes.
I spent many years in the high-end optics world and I'm impressed with their quality.
Any tips on where you got your P51 resolution chart? I'd like to print out a few of my own for testing the relative resolution of my scopes without having to make my own chart?

I agree, this looks to be a Razor/F1 competitor more than a PST competitor. $1499 would be my guess.

Since they went after the Razor, I think they fell short by not having windage holdovers like the EBR-2/2B, if they can add a zero stop though they will still have a very popular scope since they beat the Razor on mils/rev.

Why the thin crosshair at the bottom below the mil marked crosshair?

The thick ones like the top and sides make more sense on low powers and at night.

Also a vote for more crosshair illuminated and an open space in the center like the Luepy TMR.

Looks like a winner if under $1400, if they add ZS..maybe .$1500.

Well, to one-up Meat Loaf, three out of four ain't bad, but I would also prefer the bottom crosshair to be the same thickness. At low mag, I consider my FFP scope to be like a duplex reticle SFP scope.

As far as pricing, if SWFA includes zero-stop then with everything else about this scope it will be worth considering at $1500. Of course I hope it will be $1333.33...or some price that ends in 33 cents!

It is wishful thinking for 1000 price range, and honest truth, I think it's be at least 1500...

Beats my 1000 budget mark for a scope. I'm sure the ones who can afford it will have to decide between this and a nf, USO etc

Thats what I was thinking also. More along the line of $1500 or so

If the price point is somewhere in the 1k area I might have found my xmas present. This hobby has no shortage of new must have products to piss the wife off!
smile.gif

I think that its hillarious that because this scope bares the Super sniper name people are guessing at a sub $1K price tag.

SS HD glass is pretty damn good....take a look at the pics comparing the SS @ 20x with the IOR @ 18x. The SS looks as good or better and IOR are usually regarded as having GREAT glass.

So you want pretty effin good glass, the durabilty that SS's are known for, great turrets (I have a 10x SSHD) and repeatablity, as well as a second generation milling reticle, and you want all of this for less than $1K? I think that is a bit optimistic.

All I can say is I wish that I would have waited for this to come out instead of buying the fixed 10 with standard mil-dot.

Whatever they decide to set their price I'm sure this thing will sell like Hot Cakes...I have a 10x HD and see myself buying one of these bad boys!!

Man.....I had my mind made up for a NF F1 MLR2 but now I might have to wait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good glass or not it’s still a Super Sniper, a marketed value line due to factory direct pricing, no middle men.
</div></div>

You make Super Sniper sound like it is a bad thing. Based on this statement I am guessing you do not have much experience with the new SS line. Or probably even the old Super Sniper line.

Not sure how you can honestly sit there and call them a value line like they are some cheapo scope. They are completely made in a different factory to completely different specs than the Super Snipers of old. The SS is a completely different and better line in every possible way. Yes there is no middle man, that is why they are able to sell us a scope that competes with scope that cost 40% or more money. I have used a lot of low powered variable scopes and have yet to see one that can run with the new 1-4x SS. Same with the 10x. Glass quality for the SS HD line is right there with IOR. I know, I spent hours and hours comparing my 10x HD next to my IOR 3-18x. Ended up selling my 3-18x and kept the 10x SS. Vortex Viper nor Nightforce has the glass quality of the SS line. Mechanical/repeatability wise they give up nothing to any other scope.

Chris cuts no corners with these scopes. He himself said when they have production meetings for these new SS scopes the bean counters are not allowed inside. They might not have all the bells and whistles that some of the $3000 and $4000 scope have, but they are definitely not just some value line.

Looks very nice step up in their line. Add a zero stop and it would be awesome.

Like it alot. Been waiting for these since i got the 3-9s and i heard rumblings about them making other magnification ranges. I think i will put one on my new infidel from ugsw first to see how it works out. Dont see any reason to get a premier for twice the cost if its not twice the scope.

I would like to see more illumination on the ret myself. Also an open center like on the IOR would be nice as well. Zero stops too. . .

Any chance you could get this out to Illya for the high end tactical part 3 review he is running? I know its a prototype but it would be nice to see his review on how it stacks up to the "big boys"

Pat

Just called SWFA and they may be availabile for sale by the end of this month; and on top of that I forgot to ask about the price but sent a PM so maybe we'll get a ball park figure soon.

+1 on the lower crosshair matching the rest. I am not a fan of the diamonds either but I see them as a step up from circles.
The diamonds could help align the eye for holds with both elevation and windage. They also help at low powers since it is 1st focal. I would still prefer hash marks it would keep all aiming points consistent. If the price even comes close to a NF I would not buy until they have been in use for a while but it they sell for around $1200 maybe even $1400 I would not hesitate. Just my opinions though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good glass or not it’s still a Super Sniper, a marketed value line due to factory direct pricing, no middle men.
</div></div>

You make Super Sniper sound like it is a bad thing. Based on this statement I am guessing you do not have much experience with the new SS line. Or probably even the old Super Sniper line.

Not sure how you can honestly sit there and call them a value line like they are some cheapo scope. They are completely made in a different factory to completely different specs than the Super Snipers of old. The SS is a completely different and better line in every possible way. Yes there is no middle man, that is why they are able to sell us a scope that competes with scope that cost 40% or more money. I have used a lot of low powered variable scopes and have yet to see one that can run with the new 1-4x SS. Same with the 10x. Glass quality for the SS HD line is right there with IOR. I know, I spent hours and hours comparing my 10x HD next to my IOR 3-18x. Ended up selling my 3-18x and kept the 10x SS. Vortex Viper nor Nightforce has the glass quality of the SS line. Mechanical/repeatability wise they give up nothing to any other scope.

Chris cuts no corners with these scopes. He himself said when they have production meetings for these new SS scopes the bean counters are not allowed inside. They might not have all the bells and whistles that some of the $3000 and $4000 scope have, but they are definitely not just some value line. </div></div>

“a marketed value line” Why, because of “factory direct pricing, no middle men.”

Bad choice on my part, as it was clearly misinterpreted.

Super Snipers are a great value for your money. And no, I don’t own any SS with HD as I have no need for a 1-4x and if I’m paying 700-1800 for a scope it’s not going to limit me to a fixed power whether it’s from SS, IOR, Leupold, USO or S&B.

Sweet mama. I've been waiting for this. I love the 3-9 SS, just want a little more power. I also like to support the guys at SWFA who have gone out of their way in the past to hook me up.

I was planning to save for the next couple years for an F1, with trades and what not, but this could be it.

I will keep this simple.

This is a prototype, they have not ironed out its final design, this is again a premature release of this scope(this was not even supposed to go public yet but cannot be brought back in), this was never intended to hit the streets. The response of delivery by the end of the month is unrealistic.

I feel for them.

How can the price already be determined if the final design hasn't even been achieved? They will be at the drawing board for some time yet and will be changing a few things already found to be not to their liking.

This is one company that does not let marketing or the many bean counters take over they put every penny into it they can for development and do not overcharge once they have a final product, they are not driven by shareholder wealth as they are a small company.

While they care about bottom line they do so with proper intentions putting a quality product out that deserves to have the price tag in some cases not considering making a lot to get it into the hands of the average working class user, and they bring in the business at a very low margin and make it up in volume.

If you do not own one of their scopes you do not understand, If you do own an SWFA product, I have been told this is their very best yet they have had to date, they have improved on every design from the mechanics to the fit and feel, while making this even more robust and upgrading the glass they have listened. Chris (the President #1 in his own mind as his mother owns the company, I really do love this about them as they have earned the following as a small family owned business) is the designer of the Scope and the Reticle, this is his baby, he has given birth so to speak to another child that he wants to see grow old and be a hit, he will not allow anything to harm it and will make sure it has the tools necessary to succeed in the world.

I can say this of SWFA, Customers come first. If you have ever ordered from this you know this.

They know how they are perceived they Value their business differently than any manufacture as they truly do have a unique place in our USA market.

They are designers, and users. They let the engineers and top manufactures assemble the final product and then put it into the public's hand to deliver a verdict, they do not take steps back if price is going to go up, they press forward to make sure the highest priorities are functionality and quality, only passing on legitimate "adders" if you will. They do not intend to make the "cheapest" high quality scope they try to make the best most reasonably priced scope that will last and be acceptable to our standards as particular and picky and biased as we are.

Can you think of one other brand that is modeled this way?
NO, there is not one other brand that has our satisfaction as the #1 priority in the business model of their company or even in their intentions as appeasing the public to continue building their product line to deliver the next request from us users.

They have listened and will undoubtedly deliver.

I was a skeptic for a few years, but have over the last 5 years purchased (2) 10x's (2) 16x and (1) 10x HD model of their scopes.

I have punished them in every way imaginable, My favorite is to adjust past the guaranteed travel or mils and then dial back down again every time I come back to Zero without a hiccup...

I have not been let down once and am anxiously awaiting this 5-20 as it is a power that I can use with more mils available than many other scopes. I cannot wait to see this finished product.

JonA-keep up the GREAT WORK...I am so jealous of you...

Id like to see a 3x15x42 compact or 3x17x42 compact with mil/mil illum

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Salt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just called SWFA and they may be availabile for sale by the end of this month; and on top of that I forgot to ask about the price but sent a PM so maybe we'll get a ball park figure soon. </div></div>

Who did you talk to there at SWFA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LAPUASLAPU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Salt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just called SWFA and they may be availabile for sale by the end of this month; and on top of that I forgot to ask about the price but sent a PM so maybe we'll get a ball park figure soon. </div></div>

Who did you talk to there at SWFA? </div></div>

Yeah,

this is a response I got to an email sent yesterday...

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Good morning John,

The 5.5-20, should be released later this year, we are still waiting for something more concrete on when we can expect them.

The price hasn’t been set yet, nor do we have a pre-order list - Skylar McMahon "</span>

"Later this year" is still a bunch of days, up to and including December 31st... I'll not hold my breath.

John

SWFA may surprise us before Xmas but if it was any other optic company would not release it until SHOT 2012 even if it was market ready. So we can hope for an early Xmas but SHOT may be more likely.

I exchanged some emails with someone from SWFA back in Feb. I will not disclose their name publicly or some of the details as I don't not consider that professional and their company has always treated me GREAT! I was inquiring about a couple questions I had about one of their products and a couple emails later I asked if the 1-4 was the end of their new development or if they had any intentions of a 3-15X50, 4-16X50 or similar. I was told this scope was in the works and could "possibly" be released later this year. I asked if this scope was going to be similar to the PST in that the customer could get it in several configurations at different price points and was told no. He told me some of the specs that are already stated here in this thread and a "targeted" price point that might make some of you smile! 338Lapua nailed it on the head a few posts above! It is a awesome company and I am glad we have a lot of members here that give them our support. I have one of their SS scopes and am very pleased with it. Better in every way to similarly priced optics and a lot that are quite a bit more. As for the critics in this thread, while I am a firm believe of to each his own. I have seen SS scopes perform top notch! You may have some bull shit idea that you have to use a 2k+ optic, however there are plenty of shooters out there that do the same thing you do with a Super Sniper. Some probably even better. In no way, shape or form am I knocking the high end optics just making a point. I will be in line for one of these for sure as I will continue to support a company that stands behind their products and strives to provide a quality reliable product!

Wow, looks great!!! Can't wait to learn more, thanks for the thorough review!