• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Re: SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old Salt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just called SWFA and they may be availabile for sale by the end of this month; and on top of that I forgot to ask about the price but sent a PM so maybe we'll get a ball park figure soon. </div></div>

I like the sound of that! Can't wait for the ball park figure.

Nice looking scope...I hope it's within my budget.

What would separate this future product from the $800-$900 competition seen in the Vortex PST and Weaver line-up?

At first pass, the scope market seems to have a void in it between the barely sub-$1k mark and the $1600+ ballpark.

This looks great, can't wait to see the final product. I'm sure it will be a good value and should go nicely with my 10x HD and 1-4x HD. Keep up the good work SWFA and thanks for the heads up Jon.

Sorry for all the misinformation in regards to availability. That is my fault for not keeping all my guys up to speed. I have purposely not told them much because ETA's are never correct and there are too many variables involved. So, many of you were getting vague responses for that reason.

I can tell you that some will be shipping THIS month. I cannot tell you the price yet but can confirm that it will be over $1000. but not over $1500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for all the misinformation in regards to availability. That is my fault for not keeping all my guys up to speed. I have purposely not told them much because ETA's are never correct and there are too many variables involved. So, many of you were getting vague responses for that reason.

I can tell you that some will be shipping THIS month. I cannot tell you the price yet but can confirm that it will be over $1000. but not over $1500. </div></div>

Those are going to sell like hotcakes, and if you guys figure out a mechanical zero stop for these, I am converting over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can tell you that some will be shipping THIS month. I cannot tell you the price yet but can confirm that it will be over $1000. but not over $1500. </div></div>

Amazing, I will be keep my ear to the ground waiting for the price release and when we can order one of these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for all the misinformation in regards to availability. That is my fault for not keeping all my guys up to speed. I have purposely not told them much because ETA's are never correct and there are too many variables involved. So, many of you were getting vague responses for that reason.

Wow, I'm off line for a few days and just saw this. I bought my first Super Sniper nine years ago as a Temporary scope for a then new Rem 700 PSS with the intention of trading up later. That scope is still on that rifle because I could never justify replacing it. In the past few years I bought two of the SS 3-9X42 and most recently a SS 1-4X24 HD. That original 10X Super Sniper has been used hard and I've never had a problem with it. As much as I like that old Super Sniper the newer SS scopes hold much higher standards regarding glass and construction. The SS scopes are not the most expensive scopes I own but the are among the best.I don't care how high your standards are, if you don't take a look at their SS HD scopes you are doing your self a disservice.

Wow...I really like this scope and can't wait until the release a MSRP...

Don't remember who I spoke with at SWFA but according to SWFA's post on this thread yesterday some of these scopes will be released at the end of this month and he also gave a ball park price!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well........Whats the ballpark price ? </div></div>

It's only a few posts up directly from SWFA....above $1,000 but below $1,500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carolinablue50</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well........Whats the ballpark price ? </div></div>

It's only a few posts up directly from SWFA....above $1,000 but below $1,500. </div></div>

WOW......thats alot of scope for that price range

This looks nice for the price, can't wait to see it in the wild.

To SWFA: You guys rock. This looks like everything I've been looking for in a scope for my 308 build. Was considering the 4-16PST or the new Weaver, but if thats the expected price Im willing to wait and spend a little extra on this. Always been a pleasure, keep up the good work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carolinablue50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's only a few posts up directly from SWFA....above $1,000 but below $1,500.</div></div>

For a low low price of only $1499.99. Meets the above criteria....LOL

On a serious note though, this truly is looking to be my next scope...gonna be between this, the new Bushnell 3-21 or the mythological PST. Only time and money will tell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWM_5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To SWFA: You guys rock. This looks like everything I've been looking for in a scope for my 308 build. Was considering the 4-16PST or the new Weaver, but if thats the expected price Im willing to wait and spend a little extra on this. Always been a pleasure, keep up the good work. </div></div>

I would call that a wise choice. Based on my experiance with the SS HD line that "extra" money spent on the SS HD will put you into the Vortex Razor class rather than the PST class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWM_5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To SWFA: You guys rock. This looks like everything I've been looking for in a scope for my 308 build. Was considering the 4-16PST or the new Weaver, but if thats the expected price Im willing to wait and spend a little extra on this. Always been a pleasure, keep up the good work. </div></div>

I would call that a wise choice. Based on my experiance with the SS HD line that "extra" money spent on the SS HD will put you into the Vortex Razor class rather than the PST class. </div></div>

Good insight! If that is the case then the extra 300 to 600 (depending on final price) spent on this scope over a PST would be a wise choice then given the cost difference in the PST and the Razor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDXGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any tips on where you got your P51 resolution chart? I'd like to print out a few of my own for testing the relative resolution of my scopes without having to make my own chart? </div></div>

Here you go: http://accurateshooter.net/targets/usaf1951.pdf

Here are some thoughts on the reticle as it seems to have generated quite a few questions. Keep in mind the below is simply my opinion, reticle preferences are highly personal. No reticle in the world will be liked by everybody, nearly everybody has some idea of something they’d like to change on any given reticle.

For me the primary question is will the reticle get the job done? That can’t be answered without what job and under what conditions? Those may be different for different users. A scope like this should have a reticle that answers “yes” for a large range of jobs and conditions. It should be fast to pick up on low powers, easy to use for holdoffs medium or high powers and not cover the target too much at long range.

I feel the reticle does well at covering those bases. It’s really a pleasure to use, simple, clean and uncluttered, easy to see on all powers yet still pretty thin on high power. The thicknesses seem to be a good compromise for low power visibility, all around usability and long range precision. If you’ve ever used a mildot you should transition over to this easily with no training required. Of course that can be said for quite a few reticles which is where personal preference comes in.

I like hash reticles as much as the next guy and generally prefer them to dot reticles for most of the time. For bench-type shooting on paper with the scope cranked all the way up they’re hard to beat. But when I’m not doing that, I have noticed some advantages to dot type reticles over the years, at least to my eye.

Generally they’re easier to see and use on lower powers for a given line thickness. To make lines as visible on low powers they need to be thick enough they may look excessively thick on higher powers.

My brain sort of processes the difference between a full mil and a half mil a little more automatically with dots instead of having to identify the correct hash. If I’m doing hold offs on medium power at medium ranges and time is an issue the dots just seem a bit faster to me.

Of course the biggest disadvantage to most of them is that they cover more of the target than you’d like at long range. Hollowing them out solves that problem.

The dot in the center allows you to still use them as a precise aiming point. It also gives you a direct reticle measurement of 0.1 mils for ranging. The diamonds are 0.2 mils wide, the hash marks on the ends are .2 mils apart. So you can very easily measure anything directly to the 0.1 mil with the in-betweens being 0.05 mil. It’s a nice, simple way to do it without making a portion of the reticle look like a pincushion.

The diamonds work just like dots, after a couple minutes you won’t even notice their shape anymore. The biggest difference between them and dots (or circles that are hollow) is that they are easier to see on low power because they can be “taller” without taking up more space on the reticle with a larger diameter (staying 0.2 mils wide). They also seem to help a little to my eye at least with vertical and horizontal alignment when holding both elevation and windage.

On the bottom post—I don’t miss it. It’s very natural and fast to use, just like an upside down 4a. Very familiar for users of the MP-8, P4, P4f, etc. The problem with a bottom post is with 5 mils of space on three sides and 10 on the bottom, the “duplex” you get at low power has a lopsided opening. I’d rather do without than have it lopsided. It got added back to the MP-8 for the IOR 3-18 and I always felt it was unnecessary. Just my opinion.

Those are my thoughts. Of course everybody isn’t going to like it (or any other reticle), but as I said the important thing is if it will get the job done. For pretty much any use I can think of, this one will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would separate this future product from the $800-$900 competition seen in the Vortex PST and Weaver line-up? </div></div>
First I’ll say Vortex and Weaver have really stepped it up for the sub-$1K to the point many may never want anything more. That’s very good news for lots of people. They’ve done a great job with that and deserve much praise.

But there are differences. The biggest ones you’ll notice in every day use are better glass, 10 mils per turn knob, a bunch more elevation travel and knob feel. But there is a lot of money going to what you can’t see—the internals. For example Nightforce for many years seriously lagged behind in features people wanted and the glass wasn’t spectacular, but they commanded the prices they did because of how well they were built which earned them a reputation for durability well beyond lower priced scopes.

Of course reputations like that take a long time to make, the first users of anything are taking it on faith to some extent. I really like my Weaver and both my PST’s a lot, but if I had to head out the door right now with one scope and never look back it’d be the SS. There are other scopes I’d put in that category, but none of them cost under $1K.

All measurements in mils of course.
5-20Reticle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All measurements in mils of course.
5-20Reticle.jpg
</div></div>

Nice! I'd say that covers all the bases in terms of being able to mil down to tiny dimensions (0.015mil for the dots!), and up to pretty big ones (looks like 21mils from the 5mil hash on the upper thick post down to the top of the thin bottom post?). Just illuminate 5 mils out in all directions instead of the tiny center and it would be perfect, IMO. Either way, by the time I can afford another decent scope (still enjoying my 3-9x42FFP), the addition of this SS model will make my decision pretty difficult to make indeed. Far too many excellent offerings coming out these days for an easy decision to be made, haha. Keep up the great work, SWFA!

Read the post; I said a few post above, the price is between $1000.00 and $1500.00. Not to be a smart ass but read the whole post before asking something!

I might wait for these to come out instead of buying a NF. Lookin good on that reticle.

Personally, I like the diamonds instead of dots...

At first I was curious as to why, but now I see the advantage of having a defined point vs a round edge. Very nice reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice pics. I have to admit, that this scope very appealing to the eye. It is not a NF, but I like it.</div></div>

It might not be a NF but very damn close......... I have seen and read reviews of the 1-4 SS HD version and people are saying that its up there with the 1000 dollar 1-4 scopes like NF, Vortex Razor, IOR and so on.

thats a sweet looking scope! I might have to pick one up when they come out.

These should sell really well. I really like the precise mil dot system. Great job on the reticle.

I had pretty well made up my mind that I was going to buy one of the new Weaver FFP scopes. After reading all of the reports about how great the SS scopes are, I have decided to wait till this scope is available before buying any new scope.

With any luck, I hope to be able to drive over to SWFA and look through one before buying.

Thanks to all for the input about the SS scope.

Good, they'll set the new bar for scope to price ratio maybe.

1000-1500 sounds about right.

we'll see how I like the HDMR, maybe I'll trade for one of these

I have to say I have been very impressed with SWFA and the progression of the SS line. I have a 10x HD and a couple of the 3-9 FFPs and they are rock solid scopes. Ill be picking one of these for my CR6724 ... when can we pre-order ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GROUP BUY?? any proposed date from SWFA YET?? </div></div>

Frank is working with us on a deal for Sniper's Hide members that will be better than any group buy we could have offered alone.

Stay tuned for more details.
Whistler.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank is working with us on a deal for Sniper's Hide members that will be better than any group buy we could have offered alone.

Stay tuned for more details.</div></div>

This will hopefully seal the deal for me. I'm really liking the reticle in this scope, oh and the rest of the doohickey too.

Wayne

I actually like the reticule better than standard hashes myself. Much easier for offhand shooting. I would prefer the bottom post matching the others as it would make the reticule easier to use on lower powers. But I can understand how its current one is beneficial for holdovers while shooting on higher power.

Very interested in hearing what the Sniper's Hide special is going to be. Really digging what i've seen so far.

I'm definitely interested as well...

Please let me know if you start a pre order list!

Pat

I hope they come out with a release date soon and price? Getting antsy about these.

I would be interested in one also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">waiting anxiously...</div></div>

+2

Also no review yet ? huh.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GROUP BUY?? any proposed date from SWFA YET?? </div></div>

Frank is working with us on a deal for Sniper's Hide members that will be better than any group buy we could have offered alone.

Stay tuned for more details.
Whistler.gif
</div></div>

Oh, snap! Looks like I may need to work some overtime, sell a few other "not frequently used" toys, etc, etc...
whistle.gif