• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Re: SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Interesting way to get a discount. Got my fingers crossed that I can swing the purchase once we hit the 5K-10K mark!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I missed it, but are these scopes in stock and ready to ship?

Thanks</div></div>

About 30 days out.

@SWFA, FYI, you need to add a "d" to "Matte Black Hard Anoized" on the scope's retail page for your site.
wink.gif

there were 2527 likes when i clicked like......my page refreshed and there were only 2525 likes. Did i count for -2 instead of +1 or did Vortex employees remove their "likes"?

I'm in. How long do we have to get the magic number? I spammed every one I know on Facebook. Even my grandma!!

Anyone know if there is a chance they'll update some of their other scopes with this new reticle design? I would love to have this on the 3x9 over the mil dot.

there isn't a traditional illumination control knob on the eyepiece..... is the illumination variable power? how are the controls operated?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK folks, I hear some might want some more pics? Enjoy:

PICT0072.JPG

PICT0053.JPG

PICT0047.JPG

PICT0046.JPG

PICT0044.JPG

And to the reticle.

5X

PICT0134.JPG

10X

PICT0130.JPG

20X

PICT0145.JPG

Closup:

PICT0138.JPG

</div></div>
If you look at the out-side of the parallax knob, there are the illumination controls.

Just out of PURE curiosity, any word on where these are made/assembled? Are they out of Japan or ?? BTW, I had to sign up just to like the page. I hate social media crap (except email
smile.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if you would happen to know the actual objective bell diameter on the SS? Also the ocular bell diameter? </div></div>
Overall outside objective diameter 2.365,” ocular bell 1.733”.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there isn't a traditional illumination control knob on the eyepiece..... is the illumination variable power? how are the controls operated? </div></div>
Yes, easily adjustable with an “off” setting between each power setting. It’s the outboardmost knob at the parallax knob location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if you would happen to know the actual objective bell diameter on the SS? Also the ocular bell diameter? </div></div>
Overall outside objective diameter 2.365,” ocular bell 1.733”.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there isn't a traditional illumination control knob on the eyepiece..... is the illumination variable power? how are the controls operated? </div></div>
Yes, easily adjustable with an “off” setting between each power setting. It’s the outboardmost knob at the parallax knob location.
</div></div>
Thanks for the diameters, those measurements are just a hair larger than the diameters of the NXS 5.5-22x 50mm. Should be a really nice eyebox if the ocular bell measurement correlates close to the diameter of the ocular lens.

i think if i had my choice i would prefer the illumination wheel on the inside of the parallax wheel. it seems like adjustments to parallax would occur 20 times as often as illumination control, and an exterior wheel would be easier to adjust than an interior wheel. this is of course splitting hairs i suppose. one more for a zero stop in the future.

2827 friends and counting
at 400 new friends per day we are looking at about 18 days

What happened to the pics ? I was going to show a friend of mine the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think if i had my choice i would prefer the illumination wheel on the inside of the parallax wheel. it seems like adjustments to parallax would occur 20 times as often as illumination control, and an exterior wheel would be easier to adjust than an interior wheel. this is of course splitting hairs i suppose. one more for a zero stop in the future.

2827 friends and counting
at 400 new friends per day we are looking at about 18 days </div></div>

THIS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to the pics ? I was going to show a friend of mine the scope.</div></div>

Looks like there's way too much traffic for the OP's hosting site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.</div></div>

There are reticle pics up on SWFA's website... not though the scope pics like Jon had up, but they are there.

i wanted another look at the knods and turrets. the picks on longrangehunting are gone too

A while, I will be at the range a bunch this week... I was behind a week to begin with as the scope passed me on the way from TX to CO so it had to come to CO, at which point last week I drove from TX back to CO, so I am behind a good week.

I will get some updates this week.

Sorry guys, all you ogglers crashed my site! I put another copy of everything on my business site, enjoy: http://www.aadmount.com/SuperSniper/5-20X50HD/5-20X50HD.html .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any pics of how it compares to the 10X HD size wise? </div></div>

Here you go:

PICT0024.JPG

PICT0013.JPG

PICT0016.JPG

Those are also on the above site.

Thanks Jon for the comparison pics. It's not really that much larger then.....hmmmmmm.

If I get it my 10x HD will be needing to find a new home. I'm too poor to have a scope sitting around.

In the end... WHY buy (1)... when you can buy (2) for twice the cost???
smile.gif

I know I am going to be fun account POOR very soon...

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Well I think this might be the first time in history that I have too many scopes (aka not enough rifles). If I buy 2 of them... I can put one on my ar-15... but which .22 will get the other one.

PS... my wallet absolutely hates both SH and SWFA (but I love them).

Can you put the through the scope pics back up when you get a chance? I didn't get to see them before they crashed.

The cheaper these get, the more they are going to cost me. 5-20 is enough to cover any kind of practical shooting, and a set of worlc class rings "gratis" with each is just too much to resist effectively. This may be the first time I ever sell guns to afford glass.

thanks for reposting the pics, Jon! Optical quality looks very good. About the only thing I could see as a negative was the reticle clarity (looks fuzzy) at max magnification. Was that from the camera or does it get a little fuzzy?

I spent quite a bit of time last night in the dark comparing the glass and illumination of the SS to the 3.5-18X50 IOR again as well as my new 3-24X42 March.

On low powers/close range the glass looked great on all three and the illumination worked fine for all. Having the thinnest reticle, the SS was not as easy to see as the other two without illumination but with the illumination they were all pretty equal and what one would prefer would come down to what he liked to aim with the best—a tall cross shaped aiming point or a dot. The March had the biggest FOV while the SS had the most flexible eye relief with the IOR falling in between on both counts. Any of the scopes could get the job done and get it done well.

The testing for higher powers/longer ranges is where they separated from each other. Glass quality and objective size become more important here and the SS simply beat the other two. While the SS is certainly no better than the other two in daylight, when the sun goes down it has the advantage. It was notably the brightest and it wasn’t “empty brightness” as it had the resolution and contrast to turn that brightness into the ability to see more details than the other two scopes could see. It wasn’t a huge difference but it was enough of one that under the right conditions it could make the difference between being able to make out the target or not.

I realize this isn’t really fair to the March, only having a 42mm objective, but it is what it is. The March did quite well despite that, hanging with the IOR very well and looking as good as any on the lower powers. But on the higher powers it just couldn’t keep up with the SS. I suspect it would put most other 42mm scopes to shame pretty easily, even many 50mm scopes for that matter. But it wasn’t going up against low-mid level 50mm scopes but two with very high quality glass. It’s unfortunate I don’t still have a S&B or Premier handy as they were both notably better than the IOR in low light as well and would have been tougher competition for the SS.

Beyond seeing the target, there’s hitting it. These conditions were dark enough none of the scopes could have provided a sure shot without illumination. The reticles just couldn’t be seen on the target. The illumination is the second way the SS distinguished itself.

Both the IOR and March have very nice digital illumination systems that light up the entire center of the reticle, which most people seem to say they want. No blooming or bleeding, etc, they really look great. The problem with conditions like the above is they provide a whole lot of light even on the lowest setting. When it’s all you can do to make out the target, too much light will wash it out easily.

I’d call the IOR’s illumination borderline usable for those conditions. On the dimmest setting it is pretty dim and doesn’t wash out the target totally, but it’s brighter than it needs to be. It does seem to “cover” some of the fine details right around the target. If you want to really look at the target you can get the best view with it off. Not bad, it should be usable for most situations, but I’d like it better if it had one or two dimmer settings. Or if only the center dot lit the brightness would be OK.

The March’s illumination is just too bright for the above type of use. It has user replaceable modules so hopefully that won’t be permanent. I have the “dim” module but IMHO it’s not dim enough. Hopefully I can convince March to make an “extra dim” one I can swap in. Anyway, the result in the above conditions is when you turn the illumination on the target goes away. Even on the lowest setting, in conditions that dark it just produces way too much light. If you want to see the target, you have to shut off the illumination. Then you can see the target but you can’t hit it.

Once again, the SS impressed. While it’s illumination may not “look as good” in the daytime as the other two, and many have been dogging it for only having the center dot illuminated, in the above conditions it’s easily the best tool for the job. It was the only scope that had zero, absolutely zero image degradation with the illumination on. You could see every last detail of the target with or without it. With it on, there was just a tiny little red dot you could precisely place where you want the bullet to go. Money.

So, it was quite an interesting experience. I figured the SS would do well against the other two but I was really surprised by just how well it did. Against two much more expensive scopes—the March is nearly three times the SH group buy price for the SS—it easily came out the clear winner. If you need to make a shot at longish range in the dark, it’s simply a better tool for the job than the other two. Of course there are other things the other scopes do better, but for this particular job—which is one of the most difficult for a scope—it put on a clinic.

But does it have a sunshade or a zero stop. What about different colors of illumination.
Laugh%20on%20Floor.gif

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

JonA,

So in your opinion, what do you think March and IOR do better than the SS as you eluded to above? Just curious.

I don't ask this in a bad way, and realize there is a price difference between the stated scopes. You have them all in hand, and if there are pros or cons, please share it all so we can make the most informed decision possible.

While I would like that answer as well, we must keep in mind the price difference between the three.

The SS at 1500 the IOR about 1800 and the March 2800 or something like that. Big price difference.

SWFA.....

Whats the difference in the ilum/parallax knob in your last pic and the ones above in Jon's pic?? Looks like yours has a bigger battery compartment or something???

I hope they are smaller like Jon's.