• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Synthetic Motor Oil to lube their AR 15?

Re: Synthetic Motor Oil to lube their AR 15?

Not to get too off subject, but if the LMT bolt is good, the Young Manuf. NM bolt seems even better from a conceptual standpoint. $200 plus bucks for a BCG seems alot, especially when my WOA and DD BCG's works so good. I'll use those, keep them clean and oil them up with something in the meantime...

Back on topic: So if synthetic ATF is better than synthetic Motor Oil, which is better, the Ford stuff or the GM formulation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to get too off subject, but if the LMT bolt is good, the Young Manuf. NM bolt seems even better from a conceptual standpoint. $200 plus bucks for a BCG seems alot, especially when my WOA and DD BCG's works so good. I'll use those, keep them clean and oil them up with something in the meantime...

Back on topic: So if synthetic ATF is better than synthetic Motor Oil, which is better, the Ford stuff or the GM formulation? </div></div>
I have broken 2 Y/M 5.56 bolts at the cam pin hole, not better than the LMT, not as good as the LMT.

Broken Y/M bolts! Yikes, that's terrible. So the LMT's are the best? I noticed MSTN uses LMT bolt components with Y/M NM BC bodies.

Would synthetic diff oil be better for the AR or is it too thick? (maybe too smelly too...) My buddy suggested synthetic friction block used as a diff additive. ???

Just my 2 cents I've been servicing the local swat weapons for a while now and call me old school but plain 30 weight oil works extremly well and i'm not switching any time soon.
Justin Bowerman

5W40 in the winter and 10W40 in the summer, works in wverything from Ar's to Ak's to pistols and shotguns.

Lube it every 500 rounds and clean it every 5000. You won't see any wear. I guarantee it!

Don't forget the magnetic drain plug. It's got special rare earth frequencies!

Truth be told, I have yet to find a 'favorite' lube. It all works just don't underlube which I bet is where most problems arise from.

Have used mobil 1 on all my gun for several years and dont plan to change lube. Ive used mobil 1 on an mp5 during a class. Lubed it once in the morning and fired in excess of 2500 rounds in one day (a lot in full auto) with no hiccups.

Old thread, but I was wondering why everyone uses Mobil 1? Any difference between it and, say, the Rotella 5w40 synethetic that I'm already using in my bike?

I use Mobile 1 oil on the rails of my pistols works great

I use the mobile 1 red syn grease for my AR

usamu has been using mobil 1 for some time now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snwghst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Mobile 1 oil on the rails of my pistols works great

I use the mobile 1 red syn grease for my AR </div></div>

Hmmmm.....I do exactly the opposite.

I use synthetic grease on my pistol rails. The recoil operated design of most pistols is fine with grease. The only place i use grease on my AR's is on the bolt carriers bearing surfaces. On the bolt itself I use mobil 1 oil......I find in a DI gun the exhaust gunk grease up.

I use old school LSA and have used mobil one before it works great in an AR especially if running it supressed or a really high round count.

A buddy of mine swears by a mixture of ATF and Diesel oil. Don't know what proportions he uses.

I use Mobil 1 0W20. Seems to work very well.

Ive used FP-10 (never failed me during any training course)....CLP (works best when storing for more than 30 days) and Mobil synthetic. Itis a myth that you should lube with just a little bit of lube...all of my instructors and Master Sgts. have told me that I shouldn't be statisfied until your rig is literally dripping wet. Now, don't take that last statement too far. The new lubes are a whole generation bettter than just 10 yrs ago...but don't be stingy with them. Even on the the bolt carrier group in a piston gun. Pick a lube that meets the temp specs of where you will be shooting...sub artic conditions at 0 degrees F or hot and sandy at 110 F. Just make sure when you pull the trigger you don't have a FTF, FTE etc.

Mix poop and piss if you have to make it work...your target you have just deliminated won't know or care about the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snwghst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Mobile 1 oil on the rails of my pistols works great

I use the mobile 1 red syn grease for my AR </div></div>

Hmmmm.....I do exactly the opposite.

I use synthetic grease on my pistol rails. The recoil operated design of most pistols is fine with grease. The only place i use grease on my AR's is on the bolt carriers bearing surfaces. On the bolt itself I use mobil 1 oil......I find in a DI gun the exhaust gunk grease up.</div></div>

If I'm shooting a bunch of rounds, training, etc, then I do use grease on the pistol rails, for carry its oil

On my AR, I do similar to you you also, mines a piston so not much build up at all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mix poop and piss if you have to make it work...your target you have just deliminated won't know or care about the difference. </div></div>

I didn't know playing cards had feelings to care about what you lube your gun with in the first place...

Afghanistan, winter, post 9-11:

According to an Army Times writer in the area at the time, some clown suggested to his men they lubricate their M-4's with graphite. The rest of the story is not funny. *

Compare to lubing with poop and piss: When your weapon jams during a de-elimination exercise you just might become the de-eliminated.

Fortunately for me I've never been called to that honorable duty so this is a mere theory of mine but the one above is not. That exercise went poorly for those fighting with inadequately lubricated firearms.

*note: I will stand corrected on my citation to this source. There were three first-hand, eye-witness, reliable books written about that winter but I can't recall the names of the books.

I thought a properly working AR15/M16 was designed to have the pressure equalize momentarily at the time the bolt head rotates to unlock. That is why the gas ring seal, firing pin flange, and timing are so important. The bolt lugs should be under little frictional pressure as they rotate due to the equalized pressure behind the bolt and in the chamber. As the pressure pushes the bolt forward, it also pushes the bolt carrier to the rear, rotating the lugs out of lock. The bullet should exit the barrel just before the lugs disengage and allow the pressures to drop, leaving the momentum imparted to the bolt carrier to finish the cycle.

I use this.....

DSC_0051.jpg

Man, let it Ito. Stop eating marshmallows on the couch and come do some tactical shooting, their is a difference. I dont give a shit if i shoot 1moa at 500 or 3moa at 800 or 1000. All I care about is having an accurate totally reliable rifle that will put a threat down in one trigger squeeze.

Sorry to offend you man but let it go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">deliminated </div></div>

that must be a new hsld term used exclusively by those "in the know"....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sorry to offend you man but let it go. </div></div>

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you will always be the guy that gets called on for headshots at 1000m around here....

get used to it, you said it.

OK, those that do use Mobil 1, you DO realize that you CAN use other oil, right? Sure, Mobil 1 is quality oil, but man, there are SO many other synthetics out there...Castrol, Valvoline, Quaker State, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc...I can assure you, when in regards to using on a gun, its not gonna matter what brand oil you run.
If saying that Mobil 1 is the ONLY choice for gun oil, might as well say that you can ONLY run Mobil 1 in a car. Obviously, not teh case.

ATF..well, ATF has EXCELLENT cleaning properties in it, and is a great cleaning product. When I take a motor apart, that has some crud built up on it, or plan on reusing, like say a set of roller lifters, I will soak the lifters in ATF instead of motor oil. ATF keeps them lubed up (so no surface rust appears) AND it cleans them. Is it thick enough to properly keep an AR lubed up and prtect from wear? That I dont know.

I do have a question though:

Above, someone had mentioned that motor oil was not "thick" enough, instead, need to run some differential oil instead.

Well, that being said, what about engine assembly lube?

Ive got some Ultra Slick ASsembly Lube made by Permatex that I use on crank and rod bearings and lifters, and rocker arms, when assembling a motor. it is specifcally made to adhere to whatever it is you are applying it to and provide lube upon start up, and no metal to metal contact. Anyone "in the know"
wink.gif
knows that once you apply motor oil to a part, it will jsut "run off" and is why you dont use it when assembling a motor. You use assembly lube.

So, when assembling a motor, you apply it to bearings, and lifters and what not, to prevent that dry start up (yes, you stil want to do a "pre-lube before start up), so has anyone conisdered using that??? If you can use grease as mentioned above, would think assembly lube would be OK as well? So, anyone??

Also, I found a deck of cards ready for target practice at a 1000...
wink.gif

I also use Mobile 1 in my cleaning tub as well.

I mix around 30% Mobile 1 to 70% oder less mineral spirits. I pull the slide and grips off my handguns, the BCG and charging handle out of my AR's and drop them in the bucket and let 'em soak for around an hour.

Pull everything out and scrub it down with a toothbrush, slosh everything around again and then wipe it all down and I use an air compressor to blow all the remaining fluids out of crevices and stuff.

Squeaky clean but the oil leaves the metal not dried out.

Works awesome and is cheap as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So, when assembling a motor, you apply it to bearings, and lifters and what not, to prevent that dry start up (yes, you stil want to do a "pre-lube before start up), so has anyone conisdered using that??? If you can use grease as mentioned above, would think assembly lube would be OK as well? So, anyone??
</div></div>

I may not be "in the know" but i have used assembly lube before. As far as lube is concerned it worked well for low volume fire but it was one hell of a sand magnet. Ditched it in favor of lighter oils that sand and dirt are a little less likely to adhere to since most of my shooting is prone/positional in the LV desert.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, those that do use Mobil 1, you DO realize that you CAN use other oil, right? </div></div>

I'm just using whats left from oil/grease changes in multiple vehicles

Absolutely, I see no reason why other high quality oils would not work also

Is engine assembly lube designed to deteriorate at fairly low temps to allow other lubes to penetrate areas?

We used motor oil in M2's and M240's all the time, worked better then anything else we had

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use this.....

DSC_0051.jpg
</div></div>

Lazy...You a Hot Rod guy??? If not, where/how did you find-out about Royal Purple? Lol I run it in my Camaro and love that stuff! I didn't know they made a gun lube....I'm all over that, thanks!

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use this.....

DSC_0051.jpg
</div></div>

Lazy...You a Hot Rod guy??? If not, where/how did you find-out about Royal Purple? Lol I run it in my Camaro and love that stuff! I didn't know they made a gun lube....I'm all over that, thanks!

-Pat </div></div>

I used RP in my truck until I found out that's it wasn't SM rated. That's some fine oil and worth every penny, just sucks that RP only recommends it for 2005 and later(SL). I now run EP Mobil 1

i have been using 5W40 synthetic in everything for over 12 years now, from Ak, 1911, glocks, Ars and HK no issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, those that do use Mobil 1, you DO realize that you CAN use other oil, right?</div></div>

Probably because it's the cheapest, at least that's why I use it. With the 9$ off Costco coupon I think I paid 26.90 for a 6quart box. I don't see any difference between it and the Castrol Syntec I was using in my vehicles.

Considering Auto Zone wanted 6.89$ a quart I was happy as hell to get it for 4.75ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, I found a deck of cards ready for target practice at a 1000...
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'm sure that guy regrets saying he could hit a deck of playing cards by now
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I may not be "in the know" but i have used assembly lube before. As far as lube is concerned it worked well for low volume fire <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">but it was one hell of a sand magnet. </span></span> Ditched it in favor of lighter oils that sand and dirt are a little less likely to adhere to since most of my shooting is prone/positional in the LV desert. </div></div>

I could definitely see that...I mean ANY oil is gonna be somewhat of a sand magnet of course, but I can see teh assembly lube being more so...good point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snwghst</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, those that do use Mobil 1, you DO realize that you CAN use other oil, right? </div></div>

I'm just using whats left from oil/grease changes in multiple vehicles

Absolutely, I see no reason why other high quality oils would not work also

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">Is engine assembly lube designed to deteriorate at fairly low temps to allow other lubes to penetrate areas</span></span>? </div></div>

Well, I dont know about at what temps it deteriorates at, but is very tacky...almost like a glue, but it never really "dries", so it maintains lubricity...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use this.....

DSC_0051.jpg
</div></div>

-Pat </div></div>

Not sure about Lazy, but I sure and hell am! The guy that came up with Royal Purple is out of Humble/Porter area (NW of Houston)..he came up with it back int eh 1950's I believe it was, for big huge generators out at refineries. They were having failuers on a regular basis, so they found this guy to design an oil JUST for them. So, he did, and it worked. And since he wanted to be different, he tinted the oil purple. Then, of course, the rest as they say, is history...

BUt yeah, Im a Hot Rodder through and through..in fact, that is what my shop does..build Hot Rods..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Peepaw said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, I found a deck of cards ready for target practice at a 1000...
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'm sure that guy regrets saying he could hit a deck of playing cards by now
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yes, I am quite sure about that..so much so, he ought to have some fun with it and change his screen name to "deckofcards", or "joker"
laugh.gif

Ive got a motor tore down at shop right now, and I have some of the Assembly Lube I mentioned above...hopefully I will remember tomorrow, and I will get some pics of the stuff....actually pretty nasty stuff...shit gets everywhere, almost like Anti-Seize, now THAT, whew, is stuff that a dab will get over shit for YEARS it seems...

Thats pretty good for a guy who probaly sitsnon the couch eating potato chips and then goes out to his garage once a week to hand load his ammo so he can can get away from his wife,

I'll say this again...I mispoke and didn't get the measurement of a deck of cards right. Should i just have said a 6x7 plate of steel
?. Does that make you feel happy know that i have owned my "crap". I practice shooting targets at any range fromm 20 yards to over 1000......only thing that counts is the target gets reduced and no civilians get hit. Feel beter....I hope you do. If not, i cant help you. So...there is my official board apology and I appreciate most of the gents on this forums help.

And no, I don't hand load....I shoot what's issued to me....ml118 lr load.

And in case you werent aware the farthest shot recorded with a 308 is over 1500 plus....it's actually farther but positively id'ing the target presents too much tactical security risk. Don't be so shocked by some shot at just a 1000 ......

Your best comeback is that I sit on a couch eating potato chips? I thought you already used that one on someone else? Dont I deserve a better comeback? As in, at least my OWN insult?
laugh.gif

Look man, we are all having fun with you..you DONT have to continue on lke you are somebody your not. We get it, we KNOW that you are not. How do I know this? Simple, ANYONE that cant tell the difference in a deck of cards and a 6x7 plate of steel (as you said, you mispoke), is NOT going to be dealing with national security. It's pretty simple.

So, we are trying to have some fun with you, so there is NO need to continue on like you are somebody that your not. And it's very clear, you havent shot at 1000 yards (or meters as you originally said, but guessing you mispoke there to though, right?)

So, look, everyone on here, and trust me, Im a ROOKIE compared to the guys around here...hell I havent shot out beyond 300 yards, and I know you are ful of it. That tell you something? So, since I know, dont you think, that the "real" guys, that DO bang steel at a 1000 and beyond, can call your BS?

Look man, let it go....your not shooting out to a 1000, and if you have been to a gun range at shot past 300, I would be surprised. And, I will tell you what...you live in Houston, right? Well, it just so happens, that I live in Pearland...and I will be willing to meet up with you to verify, how is that?

Im actually meeting another Hide member tomorrow at a gun range on NW side...Spring Cypress/Tomball area...care to join us?

And I PROMISE YOU, if you are able to show me that you CAN, then I will personally, start a NEW THREAD IN EVERY FORUM that you have posted, saying EVERYONE on the hide is full of shit, and you CAN shoot.

How is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And in case you werent aware the farthest shot recorded with a 308 is over 1500 plus....it's actually farther but positively id'ing the target presents too much tactical security risk. Don't be so shocked by some shot at just a 1000 ...... </div></div>

OK, when I read something like that, I think of Gecko45.....

C'mon PeePaw, lets be fair.

He said the other guy sat on the sofa eating marshmallows....not potato chips.

Lets be accurate about our rebuttals....m'kay?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> <span style="color: #FF0000">C'mon PeePaw, lets be fair.

He said the other guy sat on the sofa eating marshmallows....not potato chips.

Lets be accurate about our rebuttals....m'kay?</span>
wink.gif

Im glad I wasnt drinking anything when I read that, probaly would of ended up on puter screen...
grin.gif

OK guys, I DID manage to get off teh couch eating potato chips
wink.gif
and I got some pics of the assembly lube. I dabbed some on a connecting rod, and tilted it sideways, and let it "run" down...I took 1 picture every 3 to 4 seconds so you can see how slow it is to run off. It's not that it is thick, as it really isnt...just has a tacky substance to it.

I will post teh pics when I get home, as I dont have a means to download pics from my camera to my computer here at work (I guess Im busted....Im at work and not on teh couch, DANG IT, guess that means I cant be part of a National Security team!)

</div></div>

Impact zone and we can take challenge. If I cant hit it then I will eat my own words and issue you a public apology. And for some totally uneccesary info...if you look atbthentime I usually post on here its late at night.....that's bc I have a raging case of insomnia and PTSD....both cause sleep deprivation so I can literally sound like I have brain damage at times. Typing on some high powered sleep meds is a bad idea.....inalready lok like a jackass in your eyes and i dont know you at all. That's not an excuse.....I'll still live up to my expectation.

You bring whatever weapon you have I'll bring mine...impact zone will allow us to shoot dynamically to engage targets. If you really want to have fun bring a couple full propane tanks with you and we will light them up ine one huge ass fireball.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impact zone and we can take challenge. If I cant hit it then I will eat my own words and issue you a public apology. And for some totally uneccesary info...if you look atbthentime I usually post on here its late at night.....that's bc I have a raging case of insomnia and <span style="color: #FF0000">PTSD</span>....both cause sleep deprivation so I can literally sound like I have brain damage at times. Typing on some high powered sleep meds is a bad idea.....inalready lok like a jackass in your eyes and i dont know you at all. That's not an excuse.....I'll still live up to my expectation.

You bring whatever weapon you have I'll bring mine...impact zone will allow us to shoot dynamically to engage targets. If you really want to have fun bring a couple full propane tanks with you and we will light them up ine one huge ass fireball. </div></div>
A true class act... I think you are the first person I have run across that has accepted that diagnosis. I know plenty of guys that have been diagnosed, but not one of them goes around using it as an excuse for being a jackass.

Oh, and thank you for your service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impact zone and we can take challenge. If I cant hit it then I will eat my own words and issue you a public apology. And for some totally uneccesary info...if you look atbthentime I usually post on here its late at night.....that's bc I have a raging case of insomnia and PTSD....both cause sleep deprivation so I can literally sound like I have brain damage at times. Typing on some high powered sleep meds is a bad idea.....inalready lok like a jackass in your eyes and i dont know you at all. That's not an excuse.....I'll still live up to my expectation.

You bring whatever weapon you have I'll bring mine...impact zone will allow us to shoot dynamically to engage targets. If you really want to have fun bring a couple full propane tanks with you and we will light them up ine one huge ass fireball. </div></div>

Well now we are talking...and likewise, if you are able to do what you say you can, there are gonna be ALOT (including myself) of Hide members eating words. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet....

What days are good for you?

In teh meantime guys, here is some pics of the assembly lube...total elapsed time between first picture, and last one, was about 30 seconds:

DSCN4513.jpg

DSCN4514.jpg

DSCN4515.jpg

DSCN4516.jpg

DSCN4517.jpg

DSCN4518.jpg

DSCN4519.jpg