• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac Ops Rifles

If it were an X-ray new in the box w surgeon action surgeon bottom metal and TT Diamond pro trigger sure cause the gun shoots in the 0’s…… I would encourage anyone to go find another maker that can do it ,,,,,, odds are slim, possible but very slim guarantee ya know.

The Lima is a very nice rifle just not my stock choice and I’m a surgeon fan that’s all but yes if it were identical I would have no issue w that group
I am looking at an XRay next. I have had A5 rifles before and like the stock. Just got the opportunity on this Lima at the right time and price. I like the A4 stock well enough. It rides a ruck or front bag a bit better for me than the A5.

Reactions: tacops1
I am looking at an XRay next. I have had A5 rifles before and like the stock. Just got the opportunity on this Lima at the right time and price. I like the A4 stock well enough. It rides a ruck or front bag a bit better for me than the A5.
Yeah the rifles just gotta be what ya want it to be

I tell ya what I like the tango the best it’s unreal, simple and old school

Looking good!
I was going to ask about the KMW bottom metal, but it's not the same as the one for the Sentinel stock.

Delta 51 safe in Scottsdale. Suppressor still in jail.
6hOsl5B.jpg

o9UXNyu.jpg

Looks good, Ray. I have the same scope waiting for the X-ray.

Spuhr mount is massive overkill, but the scope was already leveled in the mount. Plus Seeking rings have been hard to find!!

does anyone have a accuracy load worked up for a tacops with 168 hpbt and either varget or 4064 coal along with charge weight

does anyone have a accuracy load worked up for a tacops with 168 hpbt and either varget or 4064 coal along with charge weight
I would recommend chronographing FGMM168 from your rifle and build a similar performing load with RL15, Varget, 8208 or 4064. They will get you pretty much where you need to be.

Reactions: Aries64
I would recommend chronographing FGMM168 from your rifle and build a similar performing load with RL15, Varget, 8208 or 4064. They will get you pretty much where you need to be.
I'd probably start with 42.7 of 4064, which seems to be the FGMM load.

Measured some FGMM168 from a couple lots:
Base-to-ogive - 2.215-2.220"
COAL - 2.795-2.800"

What Choid states above - here's the old Youtube video sleuthing the FGMM 168 and 175 cartridge:

Here are my recipes for my two TacOps rifles:

Lima 51 with 22" Krieger barrel
43.1 Varget
168 SMK @ 2.207 ogive
CCI BR 2 or #200 primers in FGMM brass
~2630 fps

Delta 51 with 18" Krieger barrel
43.0 Varget
168 SMK @ 2.213 ogive
CCI BR2 or #200 primer in FGMM brass
~2615 fps

Delta 51 above
42.2 IMR 4064
175 SMK @ 2.215 ogive
~2600

Just got my Surgeon X-ray 51. This is a masterpiece. Really, it is.

There is just one really major problem. And I spent much of the day yesterday speaking with Mike about this one:

I need another. So I placed an order for the Delta 51 with a carbon fiber stock and a forward night vision mount.

If there is anyone on the fence reading these posts- rest assured that you will not be disappointed.

Attachments

• 75DD4EF4-1490-422A-A57A-311879F92900.jpeg
    75DD4EF4-1490-422A-A57A-311879F92900.jpeg
    843.5 KB · Views: 282
  • E1283FF1-FF66-4DCF-A821-4D4C243BA497.jpeg
    E1283FF1-FF66-4DCF-A821-4D4C243BA497.jpeg
    688.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 4BB5EAE9-CCDB-42BF-B63E-A670A97B21DF.jpeg
    4BB5EAE9-CCDB-42BF-B63E-A670A97B21DF.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 294
What Choid states above - here's the old Youtube video sleuthing the FGMM 168 and 175 cartridge:

Here are my recipes for my two TacOps rifles:

Lima 51 with 22" Krieger barrel
43.1 Varget
168 SMK @ 2.207 ogive
CCI BR 2 or #200 primers in FGMM brass
~2630 fps

Delta 51 with 18" Krieger barrel
43.0 Varget
168 SMK @ 2.213 ogive
~2615 fps

Delta 51 above
42.2 IMR 4064
175 SMK @ 2.215 ogive
~2600

I just loaded up some virgin Lapua brass with 168 smk @ 2.799 OAL, which is what I get on factory FMGG, and 42.7 gn of 4064. Eight round group was one hole plus one about a quarter inch above that was user error. MV was 2613, SD was 9.8. That is slightly slower, with a bit better SD, than I get out of FGMM 168, which makes sense because Lapua brass has ever slightly higher water capacity than Federal, but it is what I had ready to go, and, frankly, if I am going to load for a gun I'd probably rather use Lapua as I am going to get more firings out of it.

I cannot say that it was more or less accurate than FGMM, because I am not good enough to shoot the difference. This is a Delta 51. 20 inch barrel, I think. After doing this test, I will definitely load for it, which I haven't done before. Group was three shots for accuracy, then 5 more for velocity at the same target.

At 130 yards, .600 inches, so .461 moa group for 8 rounds, which is as good as I will do.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-05-02 16:02:09.694547.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scampo and brianf
This looks great. I'm pretty sure this is the same as what Mike is cooking up for me. :)

Oh, someone stole your bolt!

Just got my Surgeon X-ray 51. This is a masterpiece. Really, it is.

There is just one really major problem. And I spent much of the day yesterday speaking with Mike about this one:

I need another. So I placed an order for the Delta 51 with a carbon fiber stock and a forward night vision mount.

If there is anyone on the fence reading these posts- rest assured that you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: stemikel
Just thought I should ask the question here...

Does the A-series McMillan have larger grip area then the Sako Varmint stock?
And is the A-5 grip larger then A-3?

Reading and seeing new pics posted has me itching for my new build!

I just loaded up some virgin Lapua brass with 168 smk @ 2.799 OAL, which is what I get on factory FMGG, and 42.7 gn of 4064. Eight round group was one hole plus one about a quarter inch above that was user error. MV was 2613, SD was 9.8. That is slightly slower, with a bit better SD, than I get out of FGMM 168, which makes sense because Lapua brass has ever slightly higher water capacity than Federal, but it is what I had ready to go, and, frankly, if I am going to load for a gun I'd probably rather use Lapua as I am going to get more firings out of it.

I cannot say that it was more or less accurate than FGMM, because I am not good enough to shoot the difference. This is a Delta 51. 20 inch barrel, I think. After doing this test, I will definitely load for it, which I haven't done before. Group was three shots for accuracy, then 5 more for velocity at the same target.
Went up to 43 grains of 4064 to account for the Lapua vs Federal brass. MV went to 2639, SD dropped to 5.7. That is still just a few fps slower than what I chronoed FGMM to be, but it is also a different chrono, and it is cold vs warm, so I think I am done here, as accuracy was just about the same, as was POI, so things aren't really moving around in this range. I don't think I would trade a few fps for either less accuracy or more SD at this point.

Just thought I should ask the question here...

Does the A-series McMillan have larger grip area then the Sako Varmint stock?
And is the A-5 grip larger then A-3?
The Sako Varmint's grip area is more along the lines of a traditional hunting stock that sweeps forward, while the A3 & A5 have more vertical "pistol grip" grip areas. Since the grip styles are so different there's no direct correlation between them. However, that said - TO ME, the Sako Varmint's swept grip does feel more "narrow" than the A3 & A5 pistol grips.

As they come from McMillan, the A5, A3, & A3-5 grips are the same. However, Since Tac Ops texturizes their stocks they can vary the "fullness" of the textured areas to some degree (this goes for all Tac Ops stocks (not just the A-Series). For instance, heavy texturing "thickens" the grip, while lighter texturing provides a somewhat more narrow grip area. The texturing is applied in successive stages (apply, let cure, knock-down sharp spots as necessary, apply, let cure, knock-down as necessary, repeat as required for the client's desired feel). Depending upon what the client wants the texturing can be very-aggressive, moderately-aggressive, or something in-between. Very-aggressive" is extremely grippy but can be rough on un-gloved hands).

Keith

Went up to 43 grains of 4064 to account for the Lapua vs Federal brass. MV went to 2639, SD dropped to 5.7. That is still just a few fps slower than what I chronoed FGMM to be, but it is also a different chrono, and it is cold vs warm, so I think I am done here, as accuracy was just about the same, as was POI, so things aren't really moving around in this range. I don't think I would trade a few fps for either less accuracy or more SD at this point.
OK, so getting a little OCD on this, factory FGMM is about 30 fps faster, with an SD of 14.5. Elevation on the two rounds is exactly the same, poi on handloads is .2 mil left of factory. In fact, the bracket the center with factory just left and handloads just right. This is using new Lapua brass, and one thing is clear is that the headspace on the FGMM factory loads is larger than the unfired Lapua brass. It's easy to tell on bolt close. Accuracy is similar enough that I can't tell the difference, though I would say that the handloads are, if anything, slightly tighter.

What is the net net of that at 800 yards? The handloads, on a windless day, will have 86% hit on a 1 moa target, the factory will have a 75% hit percentage. If I could get the handloads up to factory velocity with the same SD, it would increase to 88%.

So, I guess this is my attempt at a close to factory FGMM load for my particular Tac Ops. I have another coming, so I will be able to see consistency across as well.

So, I tried something that popped to mind, and it was a total failure. Thought that bumping back loaded rounds just to measured FGMM headspace might be better than a .001 bump per normal. Checked runout and it was under .002 both for neck and bullet. Groups opened way up. Thought it might be me, so I shot some FGMM and some of the above load in new Lapua brass, and all was right. Not sure the reason for this. Will investigate as I thought I had a really good idea.

Reactions: brianf
Delta 51 in a 6.5 Creedmoor is inbound to Texas...

Mike R.

Reactions: datec
So I took the Surgeon Xray51 to the range for the first time today. She is topped with the March 4.5-28.

All I can say is holy smokes. This setup is completely out of bounds. The rifle has essentially no recoil. It makes bug holes at 100m with absolutely no effort whatsoever. The glass is amazing even if the eyebox is a little tight. This gun makes me look like I know what I am doing (which I don't),

Prior to this, my go to bolt gun has been a Steyr SSG69 with a Swaro optic. Now this has been a great setup for the past 15 years. But the Xray is light years beyond this. I have decided that I will be parting with the Steyr for another Tacops. I will not look back.

I had not had any experience with a Tacops rifle before this. But all I can say is that the accolades are completely justified and you really have to experience this to understand just how special this firearm truly is.

I have said this before in this thread- if you have any hesitation about purchasing a Tacops rifle, don't. You will not be disappointed.

Steve

Reactions: J Scott
So I took the Surgeon Xray51 to the range for the first time today. She is topped with the March 4.5-28.

All I can say is holy smokes. This setup is completely out of bounds. The rifle has essentially no recoil. It makes bug holes at 100m with absolutely no effort whatsoever. The glass is amazing even if the eyebox is a little tight. This gun makes me look like I know what I am doing (which I don't),

Prior to this, my go to bolt gun has been a Steyr SSG69 with a Swaro optic. Now this has been a great setup for the past 15 years. But the Xray is light years beyond this. I have decided that I will be parting with the Steyr for another Tacops. I will not look back.

I had not had any experience with a Tacops rifle before this. But all I can say is that the accolades are completely justified and you really have to experience this to understand just how special this firearm truly is.

I have said this before in this thread- if you have any hesitation about purchasing a Tacops rifle, don't. You will not be disappointed.

Steve
Another TacOps addict is born...

Reactions: stemikel

Steve
Steve
Thank you for the kind words it was a pleasure to build you a Tac Ops X-Ray 51 Glad your a happy camper...

Mike R.

Not that it bears repeating here, but I'll echo everyone else's sentiments anyways: Mike is a class act, easy to get on the phone, very responsive, and every recommendation he made was an improvement over what I thought I wanted initially.

I can't wait to mount my scope and hit the range!

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 271
I miss my Lima 51, so took it out of the safe and shot it today!

Basic load of 168 SMK, 41 grains of Varget and WLR primers. Some old R&P brass, 90's era. :)

20210515_155449-crop.jpg

20210515_155455.jpg

20210515_155506.jpg

Another 200 Yard Target, off a crappy bench and using a Harris. :)

20210515_183618-crop.jpg

I miss my Lima 51, so took it out of the safe and shot it today!

Basic load of 168 SMK, 41 grains of Varget and WLR primers. Some old R&P brass, 90's era. :)

View attachment 7626290

View attachment 7626293

View attachment 7626294

Another 200 Yard Target, off a crappy bench and using a Harris. :)

View attachment 7626295
I was just thinking about you about two hours ago I was getting your New X-Ray 51 ready to ship to Birdsong :)

Your probably 3 to 5 weeks out if there are no bumps in the road ;)

Mike R.

Reactions: BuLLet
Excellent, can't wait to try it out. :)

I was just thinking about you about two hours ago I was getting your New X-Ray 51 ready to ship to Birdsong :)

Your probably 3 to 5 weeks out if there are no bumps in the road ;)

Mike R.

I'm testing out Sierra's new 169 grain SMK projectile in the Delta:

43.22 grains of Varget
CCI #200 primer
FGMM once fired brass
169gr SMK seated 2.207 at the ogive

Problem is the COAL is 2.865 which is too long for the internal box magazine, causing feeding issues. They shoot pretty well even though I flubbed a shot out of the 5 round string.

I'm going to test seating them at 2.167 for a COAL of ~2.820 and 2.172, COAL ~2.825.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: JakeM and brianf
I'm testing out Sierra's new 169 grain SMK projectile in the Delta:

43.22 grains of Varget
CCI #200 primer
FGMM once fired brass
169gr SMK seated 2.207 at the ogive

Problem is the COAL is 2.865 which is too long for the internal box magazine, causing feeding issues. They shoot pretty well even though I flubbed a shot out of the 5 round string.

I'm going to test seating them at 2.167 for a COAL of ~2.820 and 2.172, COAL ~2.825.
I "Mexican Matched" some FGMM168 with the 169s by kinetic pulling the 168s, dumping the powder, bushing sized the necks to 0.002" tension, poured same powder charge back in and seated to (IIRC) 2.850" OAL (I have a DBM in my Lima51). Groups opened up from the FGMM I was shooting (<1/2moa group with FGMM168 to >1/2moa with 169s). Disappointed, but not surprised. I would suspect Mike's throat reamer is made for the much more secant ogive and the more tangential ogive of the 169 isn't happy about it. I'll try some regular handloads with the 169s sometime and suspect jump length will be more critical with the 169s.

On a side note, when I dumped the charges from the 10rds I Mexican Matched, I weighed them. Not impressed at all! I found the normal powder charge to be +/- 0.2gr and the worst was a full grain from the norm. Case weights were all the same, +/- about 0.5gr and BTO were all within 0.005" before pulling bullets.

Feeling pretty good about these 169 SMKs out of the Delta after seating them deeper to see if feeding improved from the internal magazine.

Powder charge and primer same as above - projectile is seated 2.172 at the ogive with a COAL of ~2.825 with no feeding issues, but I'm probably right at the edge.

Next steps are to see how they do out to 500 yards, and if this is transferrable to my Lima 51 with a 22 inch barrel vs Delta's 18.

5 rounds at 100 yards

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Guys gonna have to down size on many luxury items to possibly retire early….. I’m probably Letting my X-ray new unfired pristine no wait for what’s in it plus shipping and a Rolex deep sea for same what’s in it plus shipping pm me 😔 least I’ll have one Tacops and that’s all that matters