• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Taking the IOR 6-24 FFP plunge

Re: PICS Taking the IOR 6-24 FFP plunge

You have the 6-24x56 FFP correct? Seems like somewhere you referred to it as a 6-24x50, the 6-24x56 is the only FFP IOR has out right now other than the 3-18x42 correct?

OOPS,I don't know why I thought it was 50mm.Yes it is 56mm.I think because it fit with low rings I guess.

Just double checking I thought I might have missed something. Also the 35 mm tube makes even a 56 mm bell seem smaller, I know on my 3-18x42 with a 35mm tube there isn't much a bell at all.

The 6-24 FFP is a 56mm Objective.

For those of you waiting on the new 3.5-18x50 FFP, this is now available to distributors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Digit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6-24 FFP is a 56mm Objective.

For those of you waiting on the new 3.5-18x50 FFP, this is now available to distributors. </div></div>

Well, it's not available in the US market yet, so I wish you would quit saying that.

Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I finally got to play with the scope some. Just wow.

Steve123, thanks for your feedback. I agree, the optical quality is as good as it gets, a comparison of the image to all the top shelf glass is in order and invited.

I love the execution of the reticle in this scope. The floating dot is so crisp, black, precise, the reticle really looks amazing. I think the MP-8 A5 reticle is one of the best overall reticles for FFP ever made. Attractive and functional.

The clicks on the knobs are less vague than any other IOR exposed knob scope. Very tactile feel.

The little slotted screws are history. All scopes from this point on will be hexhead. Steve123, contact IOR for your free upgrade.

I LOVE having only the center aiming dot illuminated. You see exactly where the bullet goes, and nothing else. Your night vision is unobstructed and not washed out. FWIW, the 3-18x50 series will have the entire reticle illuminated...but I really prefer the simple and effective design of the 2.5-10x42 and 6-24x50 FFP model.

+1 on the illumination buttons. They worked flawlessly for me.

JonA,

Of course, the low power "tunnel vision" that is an IOR (and other scope makers) trademark is present, from about 6-9x. Also, from 10-12x, I can see some distortion on the edges that clears up from about 13x on.

Scope is just over 16 inches long and is a heavy pig. How heavy? Don't play with it on your 2nd floor balcony, because if you drop it on your 1st floor neighbors below you'll likely be facing a wrongful death lawsuit.

The scope (serial number 1) is currently enroute to Ilya Koshkin, who is going to compare it to other high end FFP options.

Tracking has NEVER been an issue with the exposed knob IOR scopes. That's an understated point with these.

This scope, while unproven, if it follows the other IOR scopes sold in the last 18-24 months (and the Gen 4 3-18 FFP the last 7-8 months) reliability will be a non-issue.

Look at the total package, glass, reticle, features, free rings, price, and the upside here is pretty significant, IMO.

Scott</div></div>

I got the scope yesterday.
I'll play with it over the weekend and share my impressions.

Looking at the size and price tag of this thing, its most direct competitor is Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 which I happen to have on hand. That will make for a nice comparison.

My schedule being what it is, I will mostly look at optical quality in the limited time I have.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Ilya, looking forward to your impressions. Did you want to mount the the thing and shoot with it? Feel free by all means.

Scott</div></div>

That depends on what you want to do with the scope afterwards ::)

If you want a quick durability check, I'll mount it onto my 338Lapua instead of the Razor or the 3-18x42FFP and head to the range on Saturday:
DTA_SRS_IOR_3-18x42FFP-1.jpg

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a sweet rifle!

Go for it! I'll sell the scope as a demo afterward, for $1599 delivered.

Scott</div></div>

Fair enough.

Stay tuned...

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never tried taking a through the scope pic but I'll attempt it.

I did a quick site in this morning at 100Y and then shot 3 rounds each at 285Y,401Y and 587Y on my steel.So far so good.It was right on the money and tracked perfectly.It's only 2.7 mils to 585 though.My initial impression was confirmed.The glass in this scope is excellent!!!I got the zero stop adjusted and really liked it. </div></div>

Update

I shot at 1000Y and 1720Y today and the tracking was perfect.The cold bore shot at 1000Y was 4" right of dead center.The elevation was off .3 mil at 1720Y.I'll chalk that up to atmospherics and vertical wind divergence or ???.The scope was topped out and I used 5 mils on the reticle.

yeah I think Im going to get one of these...

Scott -

Do you have any 3.5-18's coming in soon?

Scott,

On the 6-24FFP:
-- What is the minimum range for focus? (ie. how close can I focus this for dryfire practice?)
-- Compared to the 3-18, how forgiving is it regarding alignment behind the scope. (for shooting alternate positions)
-- How long is the rear objective? (to see if I can actually get it to fit for my application)

Thanks,

Steve

Hopefully by the end of the month.

CubeWarrior,

I'm assuming max magnification, about 50 yards, but Ilya should be able to give us exact data. I thought the sight picture was much easier than the 3-18, and eye relief is better by far. Not sure of the length of the ocular housing I'll have to measure it. I know the diameter is greater than 47mm as a 20eye BC cap will not fit it.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

On the 6-24FFP:
-- What is the minimum range for focus? (ie. how close can I focus this for dryfire practice?)
-- Compared to the 3-18, how forgiving is it regarding alignment behind the scope. (for shooting alternate positions)
-- How long is the rear objective? (to see if I can actually get it to fit for my application)

Thanks,

Steve</div></div>

Steve, at what magnification do you want to do dry-fire practicing? at max magnification it seems to focus down to about 40yards and it will probably work for somewhat closer ranges at lower magnifications.

Eye relief is both longer and more flexible than the 3-18x42 (I have a Gen1 Snipershide scope). I am not sure how to quantify flexibility of eyerelief, but it is a fair bit better.

As for the length of the eyepiece, I would have to measure it.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a sweet rifle!

Go for it! I'll sell the scope as a demo afterward, for $1599 delivered.

Scott </div></div>

If this should all come to pass, I'll take the "DEMO" for the $1599.00!

Thank You,
Emory Jones

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does this scope normally sell for?</div></div>

Here is LO's website with the IOR...

http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A general reply to all.

I went out today and did a through the scope side by side comparison with a friends Hensoldt 4-16FFP.We set both scopes on 16X mostly and but looked all the way down to 6X to.The IOR on 24X was just fantastic!

The IOR 6-24FFP was easily as clear as the Hendoldt to my eyes and truthfully I liked the image quality better!My friend might disagree
wink.gif
It seemed to give better resolution and color rendition.The impression I had with the Hensoldt was it was almost too bright??? I don't know how to discribe it better than that??? The Hensoldt was slightly clearer on the "very edges" of the field of view and had less tunneling on lowest power though.Honestly I liked the clicks spacing and feel better on the IOR also and the fact that it has a zero stop.I'm even more happy with the IOR scope now!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the honest assessment, all I see here is what crap IOR is and from many who probably never used one. It appears that the past CS and QC issues are just that, in the past. I own a number of IOR scopes, as well as Premier, Swaro, S&B and Hensoldt. I for one am happy to see the progress they are making and have made. For what these newest scopes are, probably very little will compete in their price range and will cause serious questions for potential buyers about spending nearly twice as much for a similar scope elsewhere.

YMMV

Your welcome!

I know the scope tracks great so if it holds mechanically I'll be perfectly happy with it.

Just as an update, the scope survived about 50 rounds on my 338Lapua like a champ and tracking was spot on.

I'll do some low light testing today and tomorrow and then ship the scope back to Scott later in the week.

ILya

guys can one of u measure the outside diameter of the objective for me?

also, scott says no butler creeks will fit these, do they come w some kinda lens covers?

thx!

Eyepiece Diameter: 1.903"
Eyepiece Length: 3.9"
Objective Bell Diameter: 2.602"
Tube length from eyepiece to the turret saddle: 2.19"
Tube length from objective to the turret saddle: 2.85"

ILya

I hope the reliability issues are in the past as this looks like a nice scope for the money. Other than the reticle being too chunky, and the illumination being limited to the center, it seems that it might be a winner. Hope to see you soon Steve. Might have to take a look through that bad boy.

Hi RK,

Only time will tell as to whether IOR made this beast durable.I remember our conversations about all the major scope manufacturers at the Shot Show.Seems like they all have some strengths and weakness's,whether they were $1500 or 3000+.I do like this scope,it's a pleasure to look through.

I'll bring it on up to LV sometime this fall.

Does anyone feel the adjustment range is limited at only 16mils or is that decent? its 57-58 moa of adjustment correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone feel the adjustment range is limited at only 16mils or is that decent? its 57-58 moa of adjustment correct? </div></div>

You'll only hear complaints from guys shooting over about 1500 yds. 16 mils, with a 30 moa base should get you there with a *fairly* flat shooting cartridge. But yes, 16 mils would not be adequate for my wishes.

John

These new IOR offerings look VERY promising. I always liked the idea of the 2.5-10 and 3-18x42 but felt each was just slightly lacking one feature I liked, now these new scopes have it all and for less than 2k.

yea the 16mils is the only reason i havent ordered one..yet i still might

Yeah, 16 mils is enough for <span style="font-style: italic">almost</span> everything one would want to do.... I wanted to put it on a Grendel I shoot to 1100+ and that thing has a serious rainbow trajectory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: learjet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea the 16mils is the only reason i havent ordered one..yet i still might </div></div>

This optic w/a 30MOA rail will get you to 1500yds+ which is plenty for most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: learjet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea the 16mils is the only reason i havent ordered one..yet i still might </div></div>

This optic w/a 30MOA rail will get you to 1500yds+ which is plenty for most. </div></div>

yep it should, but the 338 i plan on putting it on has a bedded 20 moa base now, that actually netted me 10 mils off optical center w a 10x super sniper HD. thats great! the problem is the windage isnt centered, being nearly 5 mils off center. im worried as to how much of the 16mils of elevation id loose w the windage off that far. nother option im considering is USO windage adjustable rings instead of using the IORS. the rifles' a 338 rum built on an old flat back savage, which arent known for having the screw holes perfect, or the rear flat machined straight, so i gained some ele, but im off aways more than i like on the windage...i dunno, it could work, and really it probably will work...

greywolf in theory it should get out there w both ur rifles, as long as u use decent LR loads, but, i never assume a 20moa base actually gets me 20 moa, or that a flat one is really flat. ive got an older 700 remington that w flat bases is nearly 20 moa off, and a 20 moa badger base simply gets me flat...

I have a 300WM with a 28in barrel and 8.5in of AWC .30 Thundertrap...I think a 30MOA rail will put me looking into my suppressor and tab gear cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eyepiece Diameter: 1.903"
Eyepiece Length: 3.9"
Objective Bell Diameter: 2.602"
Tube length from eyepiece to the turret saddle: 2.19"
Tube length from objective to the turret saddle: 2.85"

ILya

</div></div>

Thanks for the updated on this--got pulled out of town for a bit. This helps for an upcoming project.

ILYA, take good care of this thing! Just got off of the phone with Scott and this baby is mine when its out of your hands! Im stoked!

Congrats on your new purchase! DesertHK had a look through mine this morning.He liked the scope allot!

I will compare it to my Hensoldt and S&B and see what i really am dealing with. IF it everything that they are saying... i might have to rethink the 3k scopes from here on out. i had one of the 2.5-10x42 FFP not to long ago, and i was always a HUGE fan of the glass on IOR, and i actually didnt have any problems with it at all. The MP8 reticle was great, but it just didnt fit the magnification range that i was searching for so it went on the chopping block. I am also a HUGE fan of the IOR 16x scope. For the price, it is a GREAT optic. Once again the optical clarity is hard to beat. We will see if this scope fits the bill and in my opinion with the HUGE price spikes of the NF NXS, it will deflate some of the air out of their heads. (they were good at the 1400 range, but now that they are getting to 1700-1800 new, they are no longer the best value out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILYA, take good care of this thing! Just got off of the phone with Scott and this baby is mine when its out of your hands! Im stoked!</div></div>

No worries, I already sent the remains back to Scott, so it is now in the capable paws of USPS ::)

ILya

There actually are remains??? Probably main tube got stuck to the rings
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILYA, take good care of this thing! Just got off of the phone with Scott and this baby is mine when its out of your hands! Im stoked!</div></div>

No worries, I already sent the remains back to Scott, so it is now in the capable paws of USPS ::)

ILya </div></div>

Ilya,

Are you going to put together a post with your thoughts of this scope? Would be very interested to see your opinion(s).

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILYA, take good care of this thing! Just got off of the phone with Scott and this baby is mine when its out of your hands! Im stoked!</div></div>

ILya </div></div>

Ilya,

Are you going to put together a post with your thoughts of this scope? Would be very interested to see your opinion(s).

Thanks! </div></div>

Yes. It will become a part of a larger article I am working on that includes March Tactical, Vortex Razor, Premier and a couple of IORs.

ILya

Excellent reviews on this scope, I'm seriously reconsidering my initial choice of the Vortex. Can't wait to read your upcoming article ILya.

ILYA, when you get done with your write up post a link on here so we can all follow.

Thanks

Deano

How long does it take to write a damn review of a scope that was tested for a couple days unless they were tested untill they broke. Is there pulitzer prize for reviews now because it must be one hell of a write up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper2ndrep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does it take to write a damn review of a scope that was tested for a couple days unless they were tested untill they broke. Is there pulitzer prize for reviews now because it must be one hell of a write up.</div></div>

We all work at our own pace, I suppose. Perhaps unfortunately, I am a detail-oriented guy and all those details take me some time to write down.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper2ndrep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long does it take to write a damn review of a scope that was tested for a couple days unless they were tested untill they broke. Is there pulitzer prize for reviews now because it must be one hell of a write up. </div></div>

Sniper... if you look further up on the posts you will see he said it would be a part of a large review with several other scopes. I don't know his work schedule.. but for someone like myself, a review involving several scopes (let alone one), would take me quite awhile. I'm sure he has a life outside of this place which prevents him from sitting down and writing several paragraphs regarding several scopes. Sure he could sit down and write a quick review.. but that would probably leave several people asking questions or wanting more from a review. The best thing we all can do is be patient and wait..