• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Taking the IOR 6-24 FFP plunge

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
I ordered one from Liberty Optics today.I'm sure hoping that it'll be 99% of the $3000+ scopes.

I'll post some commentary and pics when it arrives.

Re: Taking the IOR 6-24 FFP plunge

Another AZ guy buying one of these. I just bought one as well.
Can't wait to get mine. Should be here Friday.

Pics and review to follow from me as well.

I REALLY, REALLY thought hard about one of these. IOR glass has always been talked of highly and when the 6-24 PSTs seemed to be having their issues, I was ready to jump on this scope. I ended up taking the plunge to an S&B only because Bear Basin was offering a 1 year 0% financing That ended two weeks ago and I figured I might as well get what I really wanted. But the IOR FFP looks VERY promising if it keeps the same high quality glass and gets the internals right. The illumination "digital" buttons worry me a little, but hopefully IOR made them bulletproof.

Reaper,

You finally gave in to the S&B bug... I hope your graduation to the majors goes well! I'm sure it will.

The IOR looked tempting until I did the $ math....

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper,

You finally gave in to the S&B bug... I hope your graduation to the majors goes well! I'm sure it will.

The IOR looked tempting until I did the $ math....

John </div></div>
Yep, I sure did. I figured I'd do the "buy once, cry once" thing. But with 12 interest free payments, I'm not even crying all that hard...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I REALLY, REALLY thought hard about one of these. IOR glass has always been talked of highly and when the 6-24 PSTs seemed to be having their issues, I was ready to jump on this scope. I ended up taking the plunge to an S&B only because Bear Basin was offering a 1 year 0% financing That ended two weeks ago and I figured I might as well get what I really wanted. But the IOR FFP looks VERY promising if it keeps the same high quality glass and gets the internals right. The illumination "digital" buttons worry me a little, but hopefully IOR made them bulletproof. </div></div>

I was trying to talk myself into the S$B and just couldn't pry the extra money out of my account.I hope I don't regret my decision later.The S$B configured the way I wanted would have cost $3380,OUCH.My problem is I've got too many rifles and not enough scopes.That was a good idea doing 0% for a year.

$3380?

Was this with a horus reticle or something? Just curious.

Scott had mentioned that he'd sold a scope/scopes to AZ.

One of my main concerns was the warranty.I didn't realize that IOR would send a new replacement scope if this one was defective or broke later.That works for me.

The only other thing that was a concern was 16 mils of total elevation travel.My Surgeon has a built in 30 MOA rail so I should get all the elevation needed.If not I'll dial and hold over like I'm used to doing anyways.

Valdada will take care of any issues I wouldn't worry about that and I'm speaking from experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I ended up taking the plunge to an S&B </div></div>
I did the same thing. Called Liberty Optics about the new IOR and found out that it'll take 2-3 months (back in May), so ended up ordering the new S$B 3-20x from Sport Opticals who posted on this site. As such, I'm waiting several months anyway, but wanted to "buy once..."
I'd be really interested to hear reviews of the new IOR so that I know what I missed.

I already got the scope in and mounted up.Dang I like ordering from Scott.He ships stuff out so fast! It's almost like the old Wile E Coyote cartoons when he'd order an Acme product and walk to the front door,LOL.

PICS to follow this evening or tomorrow.

Re: PICS Taking the IOR 6-24 FFP plunge

Initial impressions:

Opposite of petite,LOL. Yeah it's a large but not too long,pretty heavy but whats to be expected for it's size.

I compared it to my NF 5.5-22x56 side by side looking at small details from 30Y to 150 away.It really shined here and I'm happy to say that to my eyes it seemed brighter,had more resolution and gave better color rendition.YAY!

I love the reticle! Especially the small or should I say perfectly sized center dot.This is the first time I've had a .5 mil reticle in a FFP scope that had stadia which is a little wider.I like it because when dialed down to 6x it's plenty visible.

The action of all the controls are perfectly acceptable.The clicks are precise feeling and not spaced too close together.They make a nice audable click sound.

Only one small complaint so far and I'll tell about later today after I get back from work.
DSC00555-1.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only one small complaint so far and I'll tell about later today after I get back from work.
</div></div>

there's a word for people like you.........
whistle.gif

Nice looking scope! They tweaked the ocular to allow it to sit on the rail with low rings. Let us know your comments/complaints. I got some here, have yet to look at it, can't wait to check it out.

How thick is the reticle when the power is turned all the way up?

Nice pics, thanks.

How do those "lever thingies" on the knobs work?

How much elevation up adjustment do you have left after a 100 yd zero?

Valdada has come a LONG way in customer service, and buying through Liberty is the best way to acquire IOR.
IOR has some AMAZING glass.

I must play with this scope when it gets cool enough for you to get down to the valley (or have you checked out the matches in Prescott?)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How thick is the reticle when the power is turned all the way up? </div></div>

Te same thickness at any other magnification.

Its FFP.

Oh and steve123, you are welcome on the reticle design.
smile.gif

John

You ever heard the saying "complaining is free and I complain freely",LOL. Here it goes.

I actually have 2 complaints.Small ones.

#1 Long story short.I mounted the scope like I've done it seems a hundred times.I hand tightened the rings onto the pic rail and put the scope in them leaving the tops of the rings a little loose so I could move the scope backwards or forwards for proper eye relief,accomplished that.Then I used Lowlights feeler gauge method to get the scope on strait.Then tightened the ring clamps to the base and tightened ring screws.All happy with my new scope I brought it upstairs to show it off to the wife and noticed that my new scope was already scratched.SHIT! Diagnosing the situation I see what happened.I thought that it seemed the lower rings were a pretty tight tolerance fit to the scope which I liked at the time but apparently there was a little burr/sharp edge on the top of the lower half of the rings.So now I have a couple 1/8" scratches by each ring.So be careful guys when you go to mount yours~!

#2 The zero stop has tiny eyeglass type flathead screws on them.Which were torqued down extremely hard.I damaged one and finally got it loose,the others weren't quite as hard to get loose.I like allen head screws much better!!! I hate itty bitty flathead screws!

asiparks and Calibur,

Sorry to keep you guys waiting.I'm a painting contractor and don't own a laptop.

Steelhead,

The intructions say .1 mil thick on the stadia lines so .36" at 100Y.The dot appears smaller to me than .1 mil,like .08 mil ??? but the instructions say .1 mil.

JonA,

The lever thingies,LOL.That's exactly the same descriptive words that came to my mind when I saw them.They are called Secondary Impact Indicators.Just a 2cnd setting in case you want a quick reference to a different distance.

Hopefully I'll sight in the rifle this weekend.I'll let you know how much elev is left.I have to find a itty bitty flathead screwdriver for the zero stop thingy.EDIT...I was writing this post and reading the intructions when I decided to make sure I had the correct size screwdriver.

Soberbiker883,

I've been missing you guys! I'll be down in a month or 2. Your welcome to check out the new scope. I wish we had a real shooting range up here so you guys could come up in the summers.

Tactical rifle matches in Prescott ? Do they have one there ? I did go to a IDPA pistol match there a couple weeks ago.

what are the little tabs on the elevation and windage turrets?

xdeano

The lever thingies,LOL.That's exactly the same descriptive words that came to my mind when I saw them.They are called Secondary Impact Indicators.Just a 2cnd setting in case you want a quick reference to a different distance.

Hopefully I'll sight in the rifle this weekend.I'll let you know how much elev is left.I have to find a itty bitty flathead screwdriver for the zero stop thingy.EDIT...I was writing this post and reading the intructions when I decided to make sure I had the correct size screwdriver.

This is what they are.

just pulling your plonker fella,
wink.gif

Thanks very much for taking the time to let us know your thoughts so far......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How thick is the reticle when the power is turned all the way up? </div></div>

Its FFP.

smile.gif

John </div></div>

Maybe I didn't state my question right. I borrowed a friends IOR unofficial "Sniper's Hide" model and as I turned the magnification up, the reticle lines were just huge and "thick". I didn't like it at all.

Any chance of a picture?

Steelhead,

ITs the same reticle and the same size .1 mil

I must ask, why is about 1/3rd of a MOA too thick? Since .1 MIL is .36" at 100yds thats not bad at all.

When I designed the reticle it was to be used in all mag ranges of the scope "3-18" BTW, you also can get the .05 MIL reading off that reticle to give the shooter a really good range estimate.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How thick is the reticle when the power is turned all the way up? </div></div>

Its FFP.

smile.gif

John </div></div>

There's something about a floating dot that I like ! You did a good job John ! It's nice to actually be able to see a reticle when the scope's dialed down all the way for a change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steelhead,

ITs the same reticle and the same size .1 mil

I must ask, why is about 1/3rd of a MOA too thick? Since .1 MIL is .36" at 100yds thats not bad at all.

When I designed the reticle it was to be used in all mag ranges of the scope "3-18" BTW, you also can get the .05 MIL reading off that reticle to give the shooter a really good range estimate.

John </div></div>

Well, I can see the benefit, but my initial impression with my friends scope was that all I could see is reticle with the magnification turned all the way up. Couldn't hardly see the target at 100 yards. I can't imagine what I can and can not see at 1000 yards with that same reticle. Perhaps I need to go look at it again.

I'm used to 'thin' lines on my NF scopes. Never really had a problem ranging with them either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Well, I can see the benefit, but my initial impression with my friends scope was that all I could see is reticle with the magnification turned all the way up. Couldn't hardly see the target at 100 yards. I can't imagine what I can and can not see at 1000 yards with that same reticle. Perhaps I need to go look at it again.

I'm used to 'thin' lines on my NF scopes. Never really had a problem ranging with them either. </div></div>

What NF scopes and reticles are u comparing it to?

Val specifically said in the video the lines on this scope weren't "too thick." I'm guessing they're thinner than the 3-18 FFP as they should be for this power range.

So Steve, how are those reticle pics coming?
grin.gif

Any of them with the MIL or MOA hash marks, more specifically, the 3.5-15x F1 with MLR reticle or even the 5.5-22x with MLR, NP-R1, or Mil-dot. (I realize the reticle doesn't change in the 22x model.)

I compared all of these Nightforce's, along with the 3-18 IOR, and Vortex Razor, on the same day.

If anyone can, I'd still like to see a picture through the scope, of the reticle in the IOR, on full power, in this 6-24 FFP scope.

I have both the IOR 3-18.x42 35mm FFP Sniper's Hide Edition (Gen 2, I think) and a Premier 5-25x56mm.

For the shooting I've been doing lately, the 3-18x42mm reticle seems kind of thick, at least compared to the Premier.

I do like the Modified MP-8 A5 reticle though.

I've never tried taking a through the scope pic but I'll attempt it.

I did a quick site in this morning at 100Y and then shot 3 rounds each at 285Y,401Y and 587Y on my steel.So far so good.It was right on the money and tracked perfectly.It's only 2.7 mils to 585 though.My initial impression was confirmed.The glass in this scope is excellent!!!I got the zero stop adjusted and really liked it.

Will you be able to compare it side by side to the 3000+ glass you hope it is as good as?

Taking pics through the scope turned out to be a total flop,lol.Sorry! The scope is very clear when you look with the naked eye. Also the relationship of magnification,reticle size and pretty much everything else is incorrect compared to what it looks like when you look the scope with the naked eye!!! I don't have any idea how to set the camera being the point and shoot novice I am. At least you can see the reticle some.

The Elk weather vane is 138Y.

See what I mean about the dot appearing smaller.

DSC00563.jpg
DSC00560.jpg
DSC00559.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will you be able to compare it side by side to the 3000+ glass you hope it is as good as? </div></div>

A close friend has both a Hensoldt 6-24x72 and a 4-16.I'll get back someday here in the next week or so and let you know.

Thanks Steve, you did fine with the reticle pics. It does look noticeably thinner than the 3-18X reticle. I'd say the lines are around .07-.08 thickness and the posts are about 1/2 as thick.

How much up travel do you have left after zeroing?

Thank you Steve! That's exactly what I wanted to see.

I appreciate it! Enjoy your new scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking scope! They tweaked the ocular to allow it to sit on the rail with low rings. Let us know your comments/complaints. I got some here, have yet to look at it, can't wait to check it out. </div></div>

Scott,

I'm very pleased overall.There's no perfect scope on the market and I didn't expect this one to be.It's an excellent value for the feature set and especially the glass clarity.It's my clearest scope so far to date.

I like the push button illumination system and auto shut off feature.

The way the clicks feel(action of the clicks)spacing of clicks and 10 mils per turn.

The size of both turrets,especially the elevation.It's not too tall or too wide.Just right!

The zero stop mechanism.

Huge eyebox.

Objective bell size,Edit...56mm not 50mm.It works with low rings on my Surgeon.

Reticle,especially the floating dot and size of the dot and that it goes down to 15 mils.I can even see the reticle well on 6x.

Last and appreciated the most,Glass clarity

The only improvements I'd like to see for the next generation is the full reticle being illuminated,more elevation travel and allen heads screws on the zero stop sleeve.

You sir are not helping me exercise restraint on my glass purchases! Seriously thanks for posting your take on this scope. It would seem that one could retro fit allen head screws in the z-stop without much effort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JonA, I have 12 mils left of elevation. </div></div>
Thanks. 20 MOA integral base I presume?

How does it look on 6X? Any tunnel effect or optical issues (fishbowl type stuff some IORs have had in the past)?

Well, I finally got to play with the scope some. Just wow.

Steve123, thanks for your feedback. I agree, the optical quality is as good as it gets, a comparison of the image to all the top shelf glass is in order and invited.

I love the execution of the reticle in this scope. The floating dot is so crisp, black, precise, the reticle really looks amazing. I think the MP-8 A5 reticle is one of the best overall reticles for FFP ever made. Attractive and functional.

The clicks on the knobs are less vague than any other IOR exposed knob scope. Very tactile feel.

The little slotted screws are history. All scopes from this point on will be hexhead. Steve123, contact IOR for your free upgrade.

I LOVE having only the center aiming dot illuminated. You see exactly where the bullet goes, and nothing else. Your night vision is unobstructed and not washed out. FWIW, the 3-18x50 series will have the entire reticle illuminated...but I really prefer the simple and effective design of the 2.5-10x42 and 6-24x50 FFP model.

+1 on the illumination buttons. They worked flawlessly for me.

JonA,

Of course, the low power "tunnel vision" that is an IOR (and other scope makers) trademark is present, from about 6-9x. Also, from 10-12x, I can see some distortion on the edges that clears up from about 13x on.

Scope is just over 16 inches long and is a heavy pig. How heavy? Don't play with it on your 2nd floor balcony, because if you drop it on your 1st floor neighbors below you'll likely be facing a wrongful death lawsuit.

The scope (serial number 1) is currently enroute to Ilya Koshkin, who is going to compare it to other high end FFP options.

Tracking has NEVER been an issue with the exposed knob IOR scopes. That's an understated point with these.

This scope, while unproven, if it follows the other IOR scopes sold in the last 18-24 months (and the Gen 4 3-18 FFP the last 7-8 months) reliability will be a non-issue.

Look at the total package, glass, reticle, features, free rings, price, and the upside here is pretty significant, IMO.

Scott

It's actually a 30 MOA base. A little bit of tunneling. It happens from 6x to 8x on mine. No fishbowl effect though.

A general reply to all.

I went out today and did a through the scope side by side comparison with a friends Hensoldt 4-16FFP.We set both scopes on 16X mostly and but looked all the way down to 6X.The IOR on 24X was just fantastic!

The IOR 6-24FFP was easily as clear as the Hendoldt to my eyes and truthfully I liked the image quality better!My friend might disagree
wink.gif
It seemed to give better resolution and color rendition.The impression I had with the Hensoldt was it was almost too bright??? I don't know how to discribe it better than that??? The Hensoldt was slightly clearer on the "very edges" of the field of view and had less tunneling on lowest power.Honestly I liked the clicks spacing and feel better on the IOR also and the fact that it has a zero stop.I'm even more happy with the IOR scope now!
grin.gif